Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 27th April 2012, 15:48   #31
BANNED

Re: Voltage Stabilizer for 12 and 24V Systems

For a heat sink the cheapest solution is either to mount the chip on the casing, or put a small U-shaped aluminium piece on the PCB. If your load is not too high too should work.

The classic thumb rule for the filter (input here) used to be 1000uF per ampere. As for the output as I said even 0.1uF will do. I think 470 for the input is fine. You can reduce the output (primarily for the size) with no loss.

No point of trying with a 12V battery since you must have 14.5+ at all times for the 7812 to work!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 16:10   #32
BHPian

Re: Voltage Stabilizer for 12 and 24V Systems - Use a car laptop charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Hi Sen,
If your requirement was a steady output voltage 14V inspite of fluctuations in the input side, I would suggest a car laptop charger. Those are SMPS type units with a switch to select the desired output voltage. You can grab one in ebay for about Rs 400/- or even at a lesser price from any of the electronics store. Upon dissecting the housing you will understand that the o/p voltage is controlled by frequency of switching. And the selector switch is actually toggling the R values to the RC.
You may even remove the switch and fine tune the system to the desired voltage witha single resistor. You can even bench mark the circuit and make multiple copies as per your need. That might work cheaper too.
I had purchased one for 12V i/p and it is capable of o/p till 19V, for Rs 300/- last year.
Cheers,
Ilango
This is a really interesting solution. Let me browse ebay and find some. I guess local car accessory shops will also stock these.
In fact my sensor will work at 12V as well, provided the voltage does not fall below 12V. So, this might work for me without any modification as well.
Main question is the quality of the stabilizing.
What is your experience with the one you bought? Does it output a steady voltage? I feel laptop charger needs to do that.
Old 27th April 2012, 16:21   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
Main question is the quality of the stabilizing.
What is your experience with the one you bought? Does it output a steady voltage? I feel laptop charger needs to do that.
SMPS charging a Li-Ion battery pack in a Laptop, you dont have to doubt the credibility. Since you have access to an oscilloscope, you can directly check the ripples. In my case I had bought to for an experiment. My Vijai Super does not have a battery and the alternator can develop nothing more than 11.5 to 12V. Since the scooter was doing fine, I wasn't interested in opening it up & rewinding for a higher voltage. Instead thought about this idea for boosting the voltage to charge a battery. Yet to implement
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 16:24   #34
BHPian

Quote:
SMPS charging a Li-Ion battery pack in a Laptop, you dont have to doubt the credibility. Since you have access to an oscilloscope, you can directly check the ripples. In my case I had bought to for an experiment. My Lambretta does not have a battery and the alternator can develop nothing more than 11.5 to 12V. Since the scooter was doing fine, I wasn't interested in opening it up & rewinding for a higher voltage. Instead thought about this idea for boosting the voltage to charge a battery. Yet to implement
That seems to be quite an interesting project with your lambretta.

I found this on ebay -
Universal Laptop CAR Charger 8 Connectors -DC 11 V to 14 V to DC 15V to 24V | eBay

Did you refer to a similar product?
If this works, my all headache will be gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
For a heat sink the cheapest solution is either to mount the chip on the casing, or put a small U-shaped aluminium piece on the PCB. If your load is not too high too should work.

The classic thumb rule for the filter (input here) used to be 1000uF per ampere. As for the output as I said even 0.1uF will do. I think 470 for the input is fine. You can reduce the output (primarily for the size) with no loss.

No point of trying with a 12V battery since you must have 14.5+ at all times for the 7812 to work!
The system is working pretty nice sir. The truck voltage has danced between 22.5 to 29 Volts since last evening. The truck has traveled 550+KM and my sensor output is rock steady.

The local electronics store in Thane did not stock any capacitor less than 1 uF. As the fitting is inside a truck dashboard, I have no space constraint at this scale. So, I guess its ok if I carry on with the 470/1 uF on LM7815.

The current required to drive the sensor is less than 330mA as per the manufacturer. Do you think I can make do without a proper heat sink?
The reason I am asking this is that because there are only three small components, I can get the circuit up without a PCB. The component legs can be soldered together and then they can be wrapped in normal insulation tape. Now, I can use a small metal strip and stick the components on it using quick fix and then wrap them up with tape. Theoretically this also should dissipate the heat from components. Unless I am missing something important.

Actually, if I can make do with jugaad arrangement, I will not have to load up my clients with any extra cost. A pretty solid circuit with triple redundancy (that is three of each component working in parallel) can be built within 100 Rupees.

I can't thank you and other participants of the thread enough by clicking the "thanks button". You guys gotta put "Thanks" door bell on your front doors. But it'll be noisy around your houses then.

Last edited by sen2009 : 27th April 2012 at 16:43.
Old 27th April 2012, 16:43   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
I found this on ebay -
Universal Laptop CAR Charger 8 Connectors -DC 11 V to 14 V to DC 15V to 24V | eBay

Did you refer to a similar product?
If this works, my all headache will be gone.
I actually meant exactly the same product. Didnt not paste the link for 2 reasons. It shouldn't be misinterpretted as advertising here & secondly the listing can end & the link will be inactive in a month's time. I think you are skilled enough to check if it can work for 24V by looking into the circuit schematic & the routings inside.
Check at a local electronic / computer parts store. You will find it cheaper than at a Auto accessory store.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 17:15   #36
BHPian

Quote:
I actually meant exactly the same product. Didnt not paste the link for 2 reasons. It shouldn't be misinterpretted as advertising here & secondly the listing can end & the link will be inactive in a month's time. I think you are skilled enough to check if it can work for 24V by looking into the circuit schematic & the routings inside.
Check at a local electronic / computer parts store. You will find it cheaper than at a Auto accessory store.
Ordered for Two units and also inquired on phone. They are also open to selling bulk through offline channels.

I checked with some accessory shops on phone. They are asking 1500-2000 for this same product. However, I am sure I'll get it in Lamington at a cheaper price, especially for bulk.

Its cool even it doesn't work on 24V as I have got a solution for that already. 12V is the headache still remaining - which you have solved for me. Some nicest quality Bakharwadi needs to find their way into your house soon.
Old 27th April 2012, 21:59   #37
Senior - BHPian

lo and behold, the answer to all your problems
HRD Series DC/DC Converter DC 8-50V to 12v 3A Car Power Supply | eBay

if you want, have a look at the sellers other stuff and that category
search for DC to DC modules based on that part no. seems there are a ton of chinese suppliers.

Last edited by greenhorn : 27th April 2012 at 22:11.
greenhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2012, 23:41   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
lo and behold, the answer to all your problems
HRD Series DC/DC Converter DC 8-50V to 12v 3A Car Power Supply | eBay

if you want, have a look at the sellers other stuff and that category
search for DC to DC modules based on that part no. seems there are a ton of chinese suppliers.
My Goodness!
I have looked at the most complicate3d looking electronic sites, datasheets, circuit diagrams and what not. The simple clean solution is sitting right under my nose all the time!
Old 30th April 2012, 00:54   #39
BHPian

The LM78 jugaad has completed 1000 kilometers without hiccup. The load fluctuations have increased over the period, but the output voltage of this thing has remained within 0.25V range. In fact, with time the stability is increasing.

This is my first DYI of electronics. I am quite fascinated by the results of this simple combination of parts.
Old 27th May 2013, 23:46   #40

Has anyone put in Voltage Stabilizer in their car?

Hi All,

Just wanted to know if car battery voltage stabilizer is available in India (Bangalore) and does it really helps. I have seen couple of yourtube videos which shows that it is effective to use, can anyone confirm please.

Cheers!
Naman

Most Viewed