Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2012, 18:01   #76
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane
Can a Diesletronic previously used on a Punto 1.3MJD be used on a Swift D?
Since both cars have the same engine, will the box me compatible with a Swift? Or should it be remapped to the Swift's specs?

Request for a quick reply! A friend is selling it so don't want to lose it
You can use the box on any car. The box as such is universal. Only the connecting cables differ based on car. If you change cars then you have to buy the connector that suits that car. Since swift and punto have same engine mostly the connector Will also be the same. You can go ahead and buy it.
Old 3rd November 2012, 19:41   #77
BHPian

Re: Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
You can use the box on any car. The box as such is universal. Only the connecting cables differ based on car. If you change cars then you have to buy the connector that suits that car. Since swift and punto have same engine mostly the connector Will also be the same. You can go ahead and buy it.
What I understand (may be incorrect), is that the 'mapping' needs to be changed for each engine, and driving style of owner. So the box can be retained, but the 'calibration' for lack of a better word would need to be done from scratch.
Old 3rd November 2012, 20:21   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by latentpotential

What I understand (may be incorrect), is that the 'mapping' needs to be changed for each engine, and driving style of owner. So the box can be retained, but the 'calibration' for lack of a better word would need to be done from scratch.
From what I know, box is sold through retailers who can not tune according to drivers needs . And the box is self learning. So it calibrates itself over a period of time.

Only if you go to the manufacturers of the box then you can get it tuned according to your needs. That's what fellow bhpian kryptonite has done in the box he bought for his rapid
Old 5th November 2012, 23:10   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS_1980 View Post
I have a figo and got RD installed after completing 6K, Its 12K on odo now, all i say is that its true about the 'difference" that different modes offer. And enough is said already but I have not seen any incredible difference in milage as claimed.
We really have not done much driving around in Economy. Most of it is in P1 or P2 so need time to test it further . But what I have noticed is that Economy isn't very useful in traffic conditions, and P1 is better suited.
Old 6th November 2012, 16:15   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
From what I know, box is sold through retailers who can not tune according to drivers needs . And the box is self learning. So it calibrates itself over a period of time.

Only if you go to the manufacturers of the box then you can get it tuned according to your needs. That's what fellow bhpian kryptonite has done in the box he bought for his rapid
The BOX is sold with pre-tuned maps for specific cars. The 'self learning' is about further fine tuning as per your driving habit to give you the best results.

If you wish to move form one car to another , say Swift to Figo, you would need to send the box back to Bangalore via your local dealer, to it be re-tuned as per new car settings.
NFS_1980 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 09:52   #81
Senior - BHPian

I tried the Eco mode for some 2kms. The drivebility is really bad at least with the Manza. There is tremendous turbo lag and getting to the 1800 rpm is a struggle from standstill. Though the MID showed instant mileage higher than normally it would with P1 but I am wondering how it might improve mileage in the city since I always ended up nearly flooring the accelerator pedal to get the car moving at signals.

I am guessing this mode would be useful for expressway cruising to extract tons of mileage but not your two lane highways where you might need quick overtaking moves.
Old 6th December 2012, 11:21   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
I tried the Eco mode for some 2kms. The drivebility is really bad at least with the Manza. There is tremendous turbo lag and getting to the 1800 rpm is a struggle from standstill.
Well, not just your car. Eco-Mode seems like a pretty useless feature for all cars.

Check out my report on this mode on my Cruze :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2980696
Old 6th December 2012, 11:39   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Well, not just your car. Eco-Mode seems like a pretty useless feature for all cars.

Just read your report and its pretty much the same experience, it is not advisable on a MJD engine as well. I mean there were Nano's overtaking me as the car was so slow of the blocks
Old 6th December 2012, 13:42   #84
BHPian

Quote:
+1.

My Scorpio also creeps like a jeep in this mode. It's worse than stock. I tried driving with it for 10 mins but couldn't take it anymore
Old 6th December 2012, 15:14   #85
BHPian

I am using RD box for 2 months and over 5k Kms on my 2008 Swift Vdi. I am very happy with it and mostly i use it in P1 mode. Even I didn't try E mode for first 3k kms. On my way to Ooty from Mysore, I was running low on fuel and hence decided to use this mode. As everyone experienced car became so slow that I was not able to overtake single truck in 2 lane highway. So after few kilometres I shifted back to P1 mode.

While returning back to Mumbai after Kolhapur as traffic was thick I again switched back to E mode to give it a try. I was maintaining 90-110 in most of the stretches and I got 23.5kmpl. I never got more than 20kmpl in the past.

My observation is, it takes few kilometres before the box adjusts to your driving style. So when you press the E mode for first time it’s unbearable but after some time you won’t find it that bad. In older swift turbo boost is much more prominent. But in E mode you will not feel any kind turbo boost. After 2.2k rpm you will get some sort of surge. So overall acceleration becomes linear. Car feels much smoother in this mode. If you are not racing then try this mode but try it for 50Kms at least. It’s not that bad. But question is when there are P1 and P2 available, who would want to use E?

Last edited by abhijitvp : 6th December 2012 at 15:17.
Old 6th December 2012, 16:58   #86
Senior - BHPian

Is there any min or max number of kilometer driven kind of thing for putting this RB box.

I mean like my car has been driven for close to 44k kms , so can i still go for it , or is there is any pre-requisite for this .

Cheers
Old 6th December 2012, 17:05   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Is there any min or max number of kilometer driven kind of thing for putting this RB box.

I mean like my car has been driven for close to 44k kms , so can i still go for it , or is there is any pre-requisite for this .

Cheers
No. There are no such criteria. People usually go for it after the warranty period gets over, just to be on safer side. I added this box at 60K Kms. If you decide to sell the car in future you can sell this box separately in the classified or exchanged it from RD for your new car.
Old 6th December 2012, 17:27   #88
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik88 View Post
We really have not done much driving around in Economy. Most of it is in P1 or P2 so need time to test it further . But what I have noticed is that Economy isn't very useful in traffic conditions, and P1 is better suited.
Quote:
I tried the Eco mode for some 2kms. The drivebility is really bad at least with the Manza. There is tremendous turbo lag and getting to the 1800 rpm is a struggle from standstill. Though the MID showed instant mileage higher than normally it would with P1 but I am wondering how it might improve mileage in the city since I always ended up nearly flooring the accelerator pedal to get the car moving at signals.
Quote:

Quote:
Just read your report and its pretty much the same experience, it is not advisable on a MJD engine as well. I mean there were Nano's overtaking me as the car was so slow of the blocks
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
+1.

My Scorpio also creeps like a jeep in this mode. It's worse than stock. I tried driving with it for 10 mins but couldn't take it anymore
Hello,

The E mode on DieselTRONIC ecus is set up for cruising and light footed
driving, with decreased turbo 'boost surge' ; the typical feel when diesels
suddenly wake up on boost especially on FGT engines. Power is reduced and
torque curve flattened out to make the drive more linear, smoother and
comfortable.

As far as efficiency gains go, if your driving isn't the said type, you
wouldn't gain much, P1 or P2 is a better option as with more power you
naturally tend to shift gears earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijitvp View Post
While returning back to Mumbai after Kolhapur as traffic was thick I again switched back to E mode to give it a try. I was maintaining 90-110 in most of the stretches and I got 23.5kmpl. I never got more than 20kmpl in the past.
Your post was spot on! E mode is meant to complement a light footed driving style.
Racedynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 17:29   #89
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97_Octane View Post
+1.

Did you experience any other advantages in other modes? Any increase in FE/power etc?
Old 6th December 2012, 19:39   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racedynamics View Post
As far as efficiency gains go, if your driving isn't the said type, you
wouldn't gain much, P1 or P2 is a better option as with more power you
naturally tend to shift gears earlier.

I agree with you people on this. I never actually tried out the E mode extensively. My car runs on P1 all the time (on highways its P2). But in this Bangalore traffic, when I see an open stretch of road, I can't control the urge at times (sometimes out of frustration) and go for it! So I wouldn't exactly term my driving as sedate or light-footed (atleast 50% of the time). But I'll make it a point to test in 'E' on my next highway drive.

P.S- Do u have a box for the Getz CRDi as well? I bought one Getz diesel 2 weeks back and can only imagine what it will feel like with this box lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Did you experience any other advantages in other modes? Any increase in FE/power etc?
Absolutely. My car runs on P1 all the time in city limits. The increase in power is very noticeable. I do tend to upshift quicker than I used to before. As a result, the car is much more driveable in the city. Regarding FE, without the box, I used to get around 11 in the city (with occasional short bursts at the signal Grand Prix). In P1 I'm getting 12-12.5 under the same driving conditions.

Whereas on the highways its a different story.
I switch to P2 for the highways. The increase in power and more importantly torque is significant! As a result, I can overtake long trucks in 5th gear from 70-80kmph without a sweat. In-gear acceleration is just fanatastic. On most of my highway drives, my average speed being almost 110kmph most of the time, I'm getting 9-9.5 kmpl (In stock I used to get the same). So no reduction in FE, but a very slight improvement.

But for what it's worth, I'm satisfied.
97_Octane is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed