Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2013, 12:57   #121
BHPian

Re: Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racedynamics View Post
The Dual channel box can only work with engines having boost controlled by the stock ecu. The Fiesta/Figo do not fall in this category.

In the sub 16L bracket, the cars that do are the Cruze, Punto(90hp), Linea, Ertiga and SX4.
Hey buddies,
The Dual channel box should work with the VAG TDI's (Rapid/Vento/Laura/Jetta), right?

BTW - good info shared here. Rated the thread 5 stars from my side
Old 27th January 2013, 15:24   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello RD, does i20 have the boost controlled by ECU?
Old 28th January 2013, 11:50   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
its NOT available but, not released yet

As per RD, only Figo and Fiesta dont have a box at all.

EDIT : Just now came to know

Racedynamics. Why dont you publish a list of vehicles RD box DOES NOT support. And, why?

Last edited by mobike008 : 28th January 2013 at 12:08.
Old 28th January 2013, 11:59   #124
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Yes, its available but, not released yet

As per RD, only Figo and Fiesta dont have a box at all.
Hello,
Dual channel wont be available for the I20, Figo, Fiesta. For whichever car the Dual channel is not compatible, the existing single channel ecu will available.
Racedynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2013, 11:07   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racedynamics View Post
Hello,
Dual channel wont be available for the I20, Figo, Fiesta. For whichever car the Dual channel is not compatible, the existing single channel ecu will available.
What is the connector type for Vista Quadrajet car? I did not see it in the list that was posted. I am guessing since Manza, Ritz, Swift are Type B it should be the same. Only a reprogramming would be required if I am going to use the current Manza box on a Vista?
Old 29th January 2013, 21:12   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

RD team,

Each car has ONLY one map (with 4 modes) available? Or do we have multiple maps (each with 4 modes) and select one (while pre-ordering) which suits us better? Reason why I am asking is my friends and I are looking to reduce the lag in our cars (Swift, Punto 75 bhp, Linea & Captiva) than outright accelaration and top speed.

So while ordering the box, do we need to specify what kind of changes are we expecting or all customers get the same map for a particular model / car?

Has anyone used a box on Captiva? My friend is looking for one & is confused whether to go for Petes or RD. Seems the bug is biting hard now a days! .

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 29th January 2013 at 21:14.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 18:15   #127
BHPian

Hi BHPians

Anyone used the RD box on a Mahindra Thar yet? Does RD have a box mapped for the Thar???

I am willing to get one installed in my Thar, obviously not to increase the pickup, but to increase the top speed which hovers between 110-120kmph right now....

Any idea what kind of increase in top speed can be expected? Considering this as i have a long long roadtrip ahead

Would appreciate if RD themselves reply to this as i have not got any replies to email sent to RD customer care yet.

Regards,
Ar.Naved.
Old 30th January 2013, 21:54   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enveee View Post
Hi BHPians

Anyone used the RD box on a Mahindra Thar yet? Does RD have a box mapped for the Thar???

I am willing to get one installed in my Thar, obviously not to increase the pickup, but to increase the top speed which hovers between 110-120kmph right now....

Any idea what kind of increase in top speed can be expected? Considering this as i have a long long roadtrip ahead

Would appreciate if RD themselves reply to this as i have not got any replies to email sent to RD customer care yet.

Regards,
Ar.Naved.
This post Here says that there is a box for Thar as well with Type B connector. I am guessing the gains will be the same as mentioned in their website.
motomaverick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2013, 22:58   #129
BHPian

To Racedynamics,

Is there an RD box available for 2008 Indica DLS (NA diesel, not the turbo one ). In one of the accessory shops in Hyderabad, it was told that RD box is available for NA diesel Indica also, but the RD site says its only for Turbo diesels. Can you please clarify this, if available what would be the cost ?

Thanks,
Srinivas.R
Old 1st February 2013, 15:09   #130
BANNED

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
What is the connector type for Vista Quadrajet car? I did not see it in the list that was posted. I am guessing since Manza, Ritz, Swift are Type B it should be the same. Only a reprogramming would be required if I am going to use the current Manza box on a Vista?
They both have Type-B. The Manza and Vista share the same tuning box. The dual channel boxes are compatible with only the 90hp variants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enveee View Post
Hi BHPians

Regards,
Ar.Naved.

I believe we have spoken to you Most stock CRDi Thars' reach 120-140kmph without much difficulty, are you sure yours isnt the non-CRDi version ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriswe View Post
To Racedynamics,

Is there an RD box available for 2008 Indica DLS (NA diesel, not the turbo one ). In one of the accessory shops in Hyderabad, it was told that RD box is available for NA diesel Indica also, but the RD site says its only for Turbo diesels. Can you please clarify this, if available what would be the cost ?

Thanks,
Srinivas.R
The DieselTRONIC range of tuning boxes are designed for turbo-charged common rail diesel engines, it would'nt fit your car. Sorry
Old 1st February 2013, 16:06   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello RD, while many have talked enough about the performance gains , i am wondering what are the detrimental effects of this tuning box on the engine. Obviously since the engine is operating at a higher degree of stress there will be some side effects too. Can you throw some light on what can be the probable side effects and what can be the preventive measures that can be taken to prevent/minimize this? This info would help a lot of existing owners/prospective buyers in maintaining their engine and preventing some problem which can punch a pretty big hole in the pocket in case of any major problems occuring in the current modern common rail diesel engines!
sagarpadaki is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 16:16   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
i am wondering what are the detrimental effects of this tuning box on the engine.
While I'll let RD answer the technical aspect of what detrimental effects it'll have on the engine and how to safeguard it in a long run, i'll just add a point from a user's perspective that I had used a Pete's box ( in my previous car) for around 35,000kms and it had no effect on the engine and even after that much usage the engine felt the same in terms of punch, peppiness and NVH

IMO, RD box is way superior than Pete's box in terms of performance, features etc..and expect to have the same (none) effect on the engine

Also, my question to RD would be to give any examples of any of their users in India who have used RD box for the maximum number of kms and on which car?
Old 4th February 2013, 10:50   #133
BANNED

To clear up a few things in relation to DieslTRONIC -
1. Increase in power and torque does increase stress levels on the engine and drivetrain, but for street use on DT these levels are kept to within manufacturer tolerance limits
2. Calibration optimizations for driving pleasure, rather than maximum increase in torque and power
3. Normal usage pattern (explained later on)

The DT is a device that modulates the fuel delivery to an engine, based on a preprogrammed map on board that is used as a basis of how much of fuel has to be increased/decreased and when and how. This summary is for one part of operation using a generic base map, without going into the self-learning and adapting module that comes over this layer.

Typical fuel quantity increase map (indicative only, not true map) –

Fuel increase/decrease quantity is always lower at full throttle conditions than part throttle conditions, which makes the vehicle very drivable and responsive in lower throttle conditions and engine and drivetrain stresses are well below full throttle conditions, with a safe increase in full throttle conditions set within manufacturer tolerances. Do note the fuel reduction towards higher RPMs.

The DT is a single channel system, but there are certain ways to predict RPMs and torque request (throttle pedal position) from just this one channel, which gives a reference for the fuel map.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/attach...1&d=1359952629

Where we don’t have to worry about safe limits,power and torque gains on diesels can be impressive. Like an example attached of a RDpiggyback ECU on a Laura TDI below ( On a standalone diesel ECU - which is dedicated for motorsport use only - gains get much higher! ) where torque at 2200RPM went up by ~81% and all overall power increased by ~50% at the same turbo boost pressure. The new stock clutch that did about 10k kms with moderate power gains started slipping with this new calibration before it even went on the dyno –

As far as testing goes, we have vehicles on road since the XM400 (predecessor to DT) days, examples have clocked well more than 1.5L kms. It is not uncommon to see DT users clocking close to 1L mark. Applications have been cars, MUVs, LMVs,HCVs, etc.

It is known peak engine and drivetrain stresses occur at wide open throttle (WOT) conditions, summary of driving data that was logged on 2 vehicles. Just to show how much of WOT our rides take -
Vehicles: Swift Vdi and Punto
Total drivers: 8. Includes sedate to racer boy types
Distance: approx 400km each driver city and highway, identical driving conditions.
Results-
(a) ‘Street use’, 86% of the time is spend with throttle less than 60% , with about 2% of time at WOT
(b) ‘Highway use’, 77% of the travel time is spent at throttle position less than 60%, with about 4% of time at WOT.

Another explanation as to why tuning boxes, reflashes, etc. increase fuel efficiency. With increase in torque at lower RPMs, drivers tend to shift earlier and quicker and using lesser throttle which results in increase in efficiency. As you can see from the graph, more time is spent at lower throttle positions when using P2 mode. More info about driver dynamics in power and efficiency relation coming later on..

Do remember-
-Vehicles that were the first generation CRDI such as the Hyundai Accent, we do not recommend tuning boxes as the fuel systems are not robust enough. However, second generation CRDi onwards work absolutely fine with tuning boxes.
- If a vehicle is badly maintained (clogged filters, blocked/damaged EGR valves, oil not replaced on time, defective fuel systems, brakes, etc.) a tuning box (or any power enhancing device) might accelerate a probable failure of the affected part which would have failed either ways. We have seen factory fresh vehicles with leaking fuel supply lines, busted electric fuel pumps, etc. well before anything was installed on them!
- More often than not on high mileage vehicles, stock exhaust catalyst, DPF, clutch, etc. might have reached the end of its service life (unless replaced at manufacturer set intervals), and using the DT or any power enhancing device might make this factor more noticeable or may call for replacement right away.
- Placement of tuning box. While the DT is an automotive grade product that can withstand high engine bay temperatures and water splashes (IP65), try place it in a location away from heat and water.
Attached Thumbnails
Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box-dtfuel-injection-map.jpg  

Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box-laurapdhigh-power.jpg  

Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box-dtusage-data.jpg  

Racedynamics is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 11:21   #134
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonite View Post
Hey buddies,
The Dual channel box should work with the VAG TDI's (Rapid/Vento/Laura/Jetta), right?

BTW - good info shared here. Rated the thread 5 stars from my side
Hello, Yes it is compatible with them. Glad to help, thanks !
Racedynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2013, 16:08   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Racedynamics, two questions - please do answer

1. Every model has ONLY one pre-set map? For eg, a Swift will have ONLY one map to install on the box? What / How can you fine tune if I don't like the way the map is set?

2. Once the box is detached, will the scans at A$$ find out whether a box was connected at any point of time?

Most Viewed