Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2013, 12:20   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Hi Endeavour,
I got my Dieseltronic box fitted for my Grande fitted by Ignite, and the person is Raghav. They are the dealers in Chennai. They are in ECR, about a KM before the link road to Sholinganallur.
@ arulpeem; when did you get it fitted and for how long have you had the box? Can you post a small review?
Old 18th July 2013, 13:52   #257
BHPian

Hi @jkdas,

I have been updating my long term report thread on thread given below. Can you look there? I was not sure where to give the feedback and decided to continue in the long term report

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...rm-review.html

Last edited by arulpeem : 18th July 2013 at 14:04.
arulpeem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 14:02   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

@Arul, 9kmpl for city, 13kmpl for highway should be figures for regular vehicles. I was hoping for more.

what are your FE values when you ran without the DT box ?
Old 18th July 2013, 15:02   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Arul, 9kmpl for city, 13kmpl for highway should be figures for regular vehicles. I was hoping for more.

what are your FE values when you ran without the DT box ?
Hi Condor, I have been getting typically 9 KmPL in the city and 12.5 in the highways with the stock processor. On the highways if I keep to steady 80-90 then it used to go up to 13...

Now I am getting the same mileage or more at 100KmpH in P1 and the drive ability is far better.

My driver took it on a trip with the Economy setting and the returned mileage was 13.75KmPL and he did not feel any difference in the pick up. He was and is not aware of the tuning box installation. I am going on a trip to Salem this weekend and I will try the Economy mode. I will report the figures sometime next week once I am back
Old 18th July 2013, 15:08   #260
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Hi Condor, I have been getting typically 9 KmPL in the city and 12.5 in the highways with the stock processor. On the highways if I keep to steady 80-90 then it used to go up to 13...

Now I am getting the same mileage or more at 100KmpH in P1 and the drive ability is far better.

My driver took it on a trip with the Economy setting and the returned mileage was 13.75KmPL and he did not feel any difference in the pick up. He was and is not aware of the tuning box installation. I am going on a trip to Salem this weekend and I will try the Economy mode. I will report the figures sometime next week once I am back
Dear Arul,

We have been through your ownership thread and will continue following it. We appreciate you posting detailed economy figures.

For your next drive, do switch to P2 mode. From what we can understand about your driving style through your posts, you as well as your driver should see an increase in economy in this mode.

Keep us posted
Racedynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2013, 15:10   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, Arul. Could you please check the FE values for:

1. The earlier driving style
2. FE for higher speed than normal.

Also, pls check your tyre pressures - I hope it is not below the recommended values

OT, but I feel your regular FE values are low. Suggest you get the vehicle checked at another AS.S than where you normally go to.

Last edited by condor : 18th July 2013 at 15:12.
Old 19th July 2013, 22:12   #262
BHPian

It might sound amateurish, but i just want to understand how a tuning box manages to improve the fuel efficiency. I'm talking of only the power enhancing modes P1 and P2.

1. The working as i understand
A basic tuning box introduces a resistor between the rail pressure sensor and the ECU which modifies the signals and makes the ECU believe that the rail pressure is lower than it should be. (same logic with boost pressure sensor in case of a dual channel box, right?)
This makes the ECU pump in more fuel to the rail to increase the rail pressure.

So, for the same injection duration, the injectors inject more fuel -> and eventually engine produces more power!

Since the injected quantity is increased, where is the scope for FE improvement, it should logically worsen.

2. The way the MID perceives Fuel Consumption:
I believe, a car with a tuning box will indicate a lower fuel consumption on the MID (multi info display).
Since the ECU is not aware of the increased rail pressure, its calculation of injected quantity vs energizing time of the injectors
will be incorrect (lower) against the actual. (The injectors are injecting more fuel than the ECU thinks due to higher 'actual' rail pressures)

Are we being made to believe that the lower consumption shown in the MID is indeed real and it is because of the tuning box?

Or is my understanding wrong and am I missing something?
Can the fuel consumption value shown on the MID still be trusted?
Auto freak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2013, 19:37   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racedynamics View Post
Dear Arul,
For your next drive, do switch to P2 mode. From what we can understand about your driving style through your posts, you as well as your driver should see an increase in economy in this mode.

Keep us posted
Hi Racedyanamics, unfortunately when I started my trip it was raining heavily and found out a leak on top of the front wind shied and had to take another car for the trip. I don't foresee a long trip in the next couple of months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Thanks, Arul. Could you please check the FE values for:

1. The earlier driving style
2. FE for higher speed than normal.

Also, pls check your tyre pressures - I hope it is not below the recommended values

OT, but I feel your regular FE values are low. Suggest you get the vehicle checked at another AS.S than where you normally go to.
Hi Condor,

I keep regular logs of fuel/odometer reading. During the first 5K Kms I used to keep around 90KmPH and FE I got was around 13 plus or minus 0.25 in the long trips. In city I have been always getting 9KmPL. I am normally easy on the throttle and the brakes. After the odo crossed 7.5K K increased my typical speeds to 90+ and I used to get around 12.5 KmPL.
I keep the recommended pressure of 30 psi in city and on the highways 32 psi. In fact even at 72K Km the first set of tyres still have about 4 mm of thread .
Right now the vehicle is with the VST motors for rectifying the water leak and I will ask them to look at the FE.(OT: This is the fourth time I am having the leak form the same spot) The first two years I was with Concorde and with VST for the last 18 months or so... Thanks for your input. Somehow I always assumed that the FE I am getting is normal.
Old 21st July 2013, 20:27   #264
Senior - BHPian

Hi Team,
Do you have any model compatible with KTM Duke 390 to boost its power.
Yesterday I had a TD. The low end grunt is not for my taste and the power comes around 6K rpm. The Tall Gear Ratios also affects the slow speeds manoeuver. Seems there's a model for Bull500 and KTM 200.
Old 21st July 2013, 20:39   #265
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I keep the recommended pressure of 30 psi in city and on the highways 32 psi.
Can you double-check this ?

pls check your owner's manual & share the details.

The manufacturers provided recommended values for regular load & full load - not for city & highway.

I suspect you are a little below required values.
Old 22nd July 2013, 00:27   #266
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
It might sound amateurish, but i just want to understand how a tuning box manages to improve the fuel efficiency. I'm talking of only the power enhancing modes P1 and P2.
In a city environment, the P1 mode for example reduces turbo lag. The low end torque is much better than the stock map, which means you need lesser throttle input in traffic situations, especially in the frequently used rpm range of 1500-2500 rpm. With a stock map and its turbo lag (upto 1800-2000 rpm on our Punto sport), you would probably be dabbing the throttle a wee bit more in similar situations for achieving the same amount of acceleration. This according to me, is how P1 manages better FE than what you would normally get with the stock map.

As far as P2 mode goes, I don't believe that increases FE since it is meant purely for better power. Is it claimed to increase FE anywhere?? I don't think so. When I drove CrazyDriver's Punto with the dual channel DieselTronic box in P2, I did not find any improvement in turbo lag over stock form. P2 however has a much better and long-lasting surge than the stock map, once the turbo kicks in.

Last edited by KarthikK : 22nd July 2013 at 00:51.
Old 22nd July 2013, 21:25   #267
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Ordered one for my beast.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...5-tata-safari-
2-2-vtt-quartz-black-aka-truck-now-racedynamics-install-4.html was the reason!

Expecting it in to come by Wednesday/Thursday. Getting it via Jerry's.
Alright! So like dudes here at TBHP etc say, does a RD box make you grin?
It bloody does!
  • Very easy to fit; very.
  • Mode chaneg via remote is cool though everytime I did, I was watching the LED to understand which mode it was in..just to be sure
  • Felt P2 for my old Safari was too much and so didnt drive it that much. Maybe I just wanna play safe with a Tata
  • Did 400 kilometers on P1 last weekend. Looks like I will just stick to it. 3 is now 4, 4 is now 5, More torque in each gear. Downshifts is very rare now. Power always there when you need. Yet to check FE .

I think this box is a must have on Safari coz it makes driving easier. Effortless to stay at higher kmph than before. Makes ride easier/less tiring as you don't downshift.

Just demo one.
jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2013, 18:05   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
...Just demo one.
JK - Did you get the dual new dual channel ? Or the old version ?

Anybody who has run the dual-channel with the XUV500 ?
Old 29th July 2013, 00:11   #269
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
Since the injected quantity is increased, where is the scope for FE improvement, it should logically worsen.

Or is my understanding wrong and am I missing something?
Can the fuel consumption value shown on the MID still be trusted?
True, however - also consider the fact that your rpm climbs to the turbo zone way faster, and upshifts happen earlier as well. Now - I am not claiming any increase in mileage from the RD box, however my tankful to tankful figures indicate that the mileage has been as good as stock if not better, even though it offers a better driving experience.

Detailed figures are there in the thread -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...to-90hp-4.html

Overall stats as shown in my android app -

Car - Punto 90HP with RD dual channel box.
Total Mileage recorded- 4794 kms.
Total Fuel - 270.70 l.

Best FE - 21.49 km/l
Average FE - 19.96 km/l.
Worst FE - 16.42 km/l.
Old 29th July 2013, 07:47   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
True, however - also consider the fact that your rpm climbs to the turbo zone way faster, and upshifts happen earlier as well.

Detailed figures are there in the thread -
CD, first up thanks for the wonderful review of the RD box on your Punto. I ve always been thinking of a tuning box for my Punto 90 but never had the confidence to go ahead until i read your review.

Got a dual channel RD box for my car the very next day! I must admit I love it!

The P1 mode does a great job at reducing the turbo lag. Feels much much better to drive in the city and yes I upshift earlier! I also use P1 on the highways when I want to maintain speeds a little over or below 100

P2 is more fun! The engine pulls effortlessly. The speedo climbs climbs n climbs fast! Also at the same speed, say 100kmph the engine feels more relaxed in P2.

I'm not really a mileage guy by any measure. Yet to try out the E mode or do any tankful to tankful calculation. My earlier query was only to understand the logic behind FE increase reported by many members.

Most Viewed