Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2013, 11:37   #271
Team-BHP Support

Re: Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto freak View Post
I'm not really a mileage guy by any measure. Yet to try out the E mode or do any tankful to tankful calculation. My earlier query was only to understand the logic behind FE increase reported by many members.
Glad my review helped somone. I tried E mode once, that too because I had to drive from Trivandrum to Bangalore maintaning a constant speed of 80 kmph with very less braking and hard acceleration - so as not to cause discomfort to my wife who was just recovering from a minor operation. Trust me - I got much better figures in P1 with better driving comfort.

I'm not a mileage guy either, but then- since I started the thread, might as well do some justice to it. The big work pending is the dyno runs but I haven't been able to squeeze out some time from my work schedule.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th July 2013, 12:55   #272
Senior - BHPian

30,000+ km with the DieselTronic

30,000+ km with the DieselTronic on my Getz diesel since March 2012 has been more pleasurable than I could ever believe. The first thing that was on my mind was to pick up the tuning box from Karthik as soon as I got the car and it was about as precisely what I did.

13 inch stock skinny tyres were my first let down even before the box came on, it was just wheel spins galore till I decided to move to 15 inchers. Finally got traction and the confidence to go get the box.

Had to get the trace done and wait for a couple of days before I got it fitted, the first drive was at P1 and my most proffered mode till date till I need to overtake on the highway at high speeds is when I shift to P2 and that too for short bursts.

Key differences noted:
Boost started coming on quicker on my car (as in stronger around the same RPM)
AC was more effective
Torque more than significantly improved
Still have a stock intake
Mileage more or less remained the same

Have not run into issues with the single channel DieselTronic till date and have done multiple / many / (do i need a reason) long distance runs on the car (1000+ km) with zero issues.

However the complaint of the wheelspins was back till the second with the 195's. Solved by moving to 205's yokohama s drives. Have hardened the suspension for better handling and now am looking to move to the dual channel.

I know I should not being saying this but this pocket rocket now gives a run to most other double digit lakh cars out there and leaves me with a smile each time excepting when I need to inch through Bangalore's traffic as this is my daily drive.
Psycho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th July 2013, 18:58   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post
JK - Did you get the dual new dual channel ? Or the old version ?

Anybody who has run the dual-channel with the XUV500 ?
No,dont think its available yet for the Safari 2.2L :(

@ Psycho;

I think I too have the same opinion as yours. I am bit scared to use P2 ( and can I just switch from P1>P2 just like that? ) coz of what my car is!

Did another highway run last week and I am in love with the box. Will update about mileage soon.
Old 31st July 2013, 09:32   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
No,dont think its available yet for the Safari 2.2L :(

@ Psycho;

I think I too have the same opinion as yours. I am bit scared to use P2 ( and can I just switch from P1>P2 just like that? ) coz of what my car is!

Did another highway run last week and I am in love with the box. Will update about mileage soon.
Another update.

You can just putter around at 40-45kmph in 4th gear without issues. You wont feel the turbo lag; power there to move the ship when needed. Pretty useful when you are lazy and in town.
Old 4th August 2013, 17:40   #275
BHPian

Quote:
Alright! So like dudes here at TBHP etc say, does a RD box make you grin?
It bloody does!
  • Very easy to fit; very.
  • Mode chaneg via remote is cool though everytime I did, I was watching the LED to understand which mode it was in..just to be sure
  • Felt P2 for my old Safari was too much and so didnt drive it that much. Maybe I just wanna play safe with a Tata
  • Did 400 kilometers on P1 last weekend. Looks like I will just stick to it. 3 is now 4, 4 is now 5, More torque in each gear. Downshifts is very rare now. Power always there when you need. Yet to check FE .
I think this box is a must have on Safari coz it makes driving easier. Effortless to stay at higher kmph than before. Makes ride easier/less tiring as you don't downshift.

Just demo one.
It always brings a smile to my face daily and like you said this is a must for the safari. I have been on P2 since the day i got the box and its absolutely mind blowing performance simply point and shoot. Also my Fe has not gone down infact its marginally gone up dunno how.
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 09:48   #276
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Can you double-check this ?

pls check your owner's manual & share the details.

The manufacturers provided recommended values for regular load & full load - not for city & highway.

I suspect you are a little below required values.
Hi Condor,
My manual is in the car and the car is in the the service station to rectify a water leak from above the windshield. The recommended pressure is 30 psi and I remember that. It is also given on the sides of the door panel. Once I get the manual I will check for the recommended pressure for 5 passengers and check of the mileage. thanks
Old 12th September 2013, 14:37   #277
BHPian

I own a manza diesel Aura Abs - June 2011 model - current mileage 29000 kms.
There has been a constant itch of going in for a Dieseltronic box.
I have following this thread ever since Motomaverick's post in his ownership log.
Personally i feel Rs 20000/- is asking for too much and 1 needs to decide carefully before spending.

I have following doubts to start with :
1)During the installation process do we need to remove the engine cover or it can be installed without touching the cover in the Manza?
2)Can the installation & removing of the box be done by myself as a DIY?
Asking this since i would never like to give the car to service centre with the box installed in it. Hence its important that i can confidently and conveniently (without much fuss) remove or reinstall the the box myself.

I want it mainly because :

a)Want to improve the drivability of the Manza. WIll it help ?

b)hill climbing / steep hair pin incline is a weak point of the Manza and one doesn't feel very confident driving it and has to carefully plan such hair pin climbs in advance. Also the hydraulic steering set up saps the engine of power in those situations. I assume that this box will definitely help negotiate such hairpin steep inclines in a better way. Is my assumption correct ?

c)I hope the top speed wont be compromised due to installation and use of the box in the lon run (say after 15000+ kms with the box)

d)Will it effect the life of fuel pump in the long run ?

E)Will there be an increase in engine noise/ diesel clatter in the long run 9say after 10k kms use with Dieseltronic tuning box)

Guys please chip in with our experience here. I know some of the above questions are already asked in this forum but still want to know first hand experience since would not like to harm my Manza in any way . I intend to keep it for another 3-4 years.
I worry more since its a tata.
Old 17th September 2013, 15:53   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arulpeem View Post
Hi Condor,
My manual is in the car and the car is in the the service station to rectify a water leak from above the windshield. The recommended pressure is 30 psi and I remember that. It is also given on the sides of the door panel. Once I get the manual I will check for the recommended pressure for 5 passengers and check of the mileage. thanks
Did a trip to Salem and back last week. Setting in P1 mode. Just 2 of us during the whole trip. Tyre pressure at 30 psi. Speeds were maintained at an indicated speed of 90- 100 KMPh. Did a tank full at Ulundurpet BPCL. On returning to Chennai filled up with 44.13 litres. Total of 594 KM was done which included a 60 KMs within Salem town and another 30 within Chennai City limits. The mileage comes to 13.45 KMPL...
Old 18th September 2013, 11:35   #279
Senior - BHPian

Used P2 for a week or so, some 500 odd kilometers. Wont recommend it on old gen Safari coz of braking issue . Mileage too wasnt great (less than 10).

P1 should be the default tune for the Safari.
Old 18th September 2013, 17:51   #280
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhu33 View Post
I own a manza diesel Aura Abs - June 2011 model - current mileage 29000 kms.
There has been a constant itch of going in for a Dieseltronic box.
I have following this thread ever since Motomaverick's post in his ownership log.
Personally i feel Rs 20000/- is asking for too much and 1 needs to decide carefully before spending.
Quote:
I have following doubts to start with :

1)During the installation process do we need to remove the engine cover or it can be installed without touching the cover in the Manza?
The engine cover does not need to be removed on the Manza to install DieselTRONIC.

Quote:
2)Can the installation & removing of the box be done by myself as a DIY?
Asking this since i would never like to give the car to service centre with the box installed in it. Hence its important that i can confidently and conveniently (without much fuss) remove or reinstall the the box myself.
Yes, it is extremely simple to install/uninstall. You should ensure the car is switched off and the keys are out of the ignition.

Quote:
a)Want to improve the drivability of the Manza. WIll it help ?
Yes, it will help low speed drivability >1700rpm.

Quote:
b)hill climbing / steep hair pin incline is a weak point of the Manza and one doesn't feel very confident driving it and has to carefully plan such hair pin climbs in advance. Also the hydraulic steering set up saps the engine of power in those situations. I assume that this box will definitely help negotiate such hairpin steep inclines in a better way. Is my assumption correct ?
DieselTRONIC will increase low end power and response; as long you are in the right gear/rpm you will see much better drivability in these conditions.

Quote:
c)I hope the top speed wont be compromised due to installation and use of the box in the long run (say after 15000+ kms with the box)
You will not see any drop in top speed/top end power in both short/long term usage.

Quote:
d)Will it effect the life of fuel pump in the long run ?
DieselTRONIC is designed and calibrated to ensure no adverse effects on any related engine components.

Quote:
E)Will there be an increase in engine noise/ diesel clatter in the long run 9say after 10k kms use with Dieseltronic tuning box)
Our testing over lakhs of kilometers on multiple cars on street as well as motorsport has shown no increase in NVH over time as a result of DieselTRONIC usage. As long as the engine is serviced as per manufacturer's recommendations, you will have no problems whatsoever.

Quote:
Did a trip to Salem and back last week. Setting in P1 mode. Just 2 of us during the whole trip. Tyre pressure at 30 psi. Speeds were maintained at an indicated speed of 90- 100 KMPh. Did a tank full at Ulundurpet BPCL. On returning to Chennai filled up with 44.13 litres. Total of 594 KM was done which included a 60 KMs within Salem town and another 30 within Chennai City limits. The mileage comes to 13.45 KMPL...
Quote:
Used P2 for a week or so, some 500 odd kilometers. Wont recommend it on old gen Safari coz of braking issue . Mileage too wasnt great (less than 10).

As mentioned earlier, on the bigger cars we do see an increase in economy in P2 provided the driving style is similar. You could try cruising in P2 on the highways to see if if your economy figures improve further.
Racedynamics is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2013, 12:22   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racedynamics View Post
As mentioned earlier, on the bigger cars we do see an increase in economy in P2 provided the driving style is similar. You could try cruising in P2 on the highways to see if if your economy figures improve further.
Thanks RD. I knew that you had said that earlier and remembered it only halfway thru my journey and I didn't want to change the settings in the middle of the trip. I am going on a long drive again tomorrow in my Grande MKII. Will test it in P2 mode and see what the mileage I get.
Old 19th September 2013, 12:55   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racedynamics View Post
I missed to mention that 90% of the ride was within city and P1 suits fine for that.

Will try P2 if I do highway again.
Old 19th September 2013, 14:42   #283
BHPian

Update from my side. I have Dieseltronic Tuning box on my Swift VDi. Done around 25k+ Kms with it in last 10 months, now odo is at 86k.

Did Ladakh trip last month, overall mileage was 18.05Kmpl for 6500 kms. Figures are very accurate and Tank full to Tank Full method is used. It's really surprising. Even in the hills I got 15+Kmpl. It was in P1 mode 95% of the time. On GQ I am not used to such mileage before. I was doing 120+ whenever there was an opportunity. Average speed was 75kmph+ including breaks. For four tank full I got 20+ avg.

After Zozi-la since I was feeling lack of power because of rarefied air, I switched to P2, it immediately start emitting black smoke (lack of oxygen)so shifted back to P1. In P1 under normal driving style it doesn’t emit any smoke even at high altitude. Tried that at Khardung la also. Only under hard acceleration it will emit the black smoke that too for few seconds. At the same time you won’t feel much difference between stock and P1 at those altitude.

The reason I went for tuning box instead remap is the Leh trip was on my mind then. With tuning box, if it doesn’t work at those altitude you can simply go back to stock. Now very happy with the product.
abhijitvp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2013, 03:24   #284
BHPian

Guys some good news for all those who want to buy the dieseltronic box. The box has been listed at the Snapdeal and currently snapdeal is also providing Rs 1000 off. Hence the final landing price of the box is around Rs 17100.

Its listed under the snapdeal automotive section - performance parts. Though I am waiting for them to list the dual channel box for my Ertiga.
kailashnj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2013, 09:41   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks RD. I knew that you had said that earlier and remembered it only halfway thru my journey and I didn't want to change the settings in the middle of the trip. I am going on a long drive again tomorrow in my Grande MKII. Will test it in P2 mode and see what the mileage I get.
I did a round about trip to Salem. I filled up at Salem and then returned via Namakkal, Thuraiyur, Perambalur to Chennai. And then did about 50 Kms within Chennai before filling up. 508 Kms and 37.9 litres, returning 13.4KMPL. The car was in P2 mode and cruising at indicated 100KMPH and an occasionally at 110. This is exactly the same mileage I got in P1 a couple of weeks back. But there is one difference. This time I was doing the driving and I kept the rpm above 2000 all the time up shifting at 2500 rpm whereas the earlier trip it was my driver who at the the wheel and he always up shifts earlier at around 2200...

Most Viewed