Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2014, 11:00   #361
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Thinking of getting one for my 1.6 CRDI. One query for all users- What is the impact of the RD box on the engine refinement on different modes particularly in P1 & P2 mode.
Iam using the RD box on my Cruze for about 22,000kms now and have absolutely zero issues and puts a grin on my face each and every single day

My car is permanently in P1 mode and increment in power in this mode is more than sufficient for some thrilling rides and use P2 mode rarely as the Cruze becomes blisteringly fast and sometimes gets a bit scary

With regards to engine refinement, I dont see any real change in either modes except the engine becomes slightly gruffier in P2 ( not even felt actually unless you pay real close attention) but, is really enjoyable

Hope this helps
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 21:15   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Iam using the RD box on my Cruze for about 22,000kms now and have absolutely zero issues and puts a grin on my face each and every single day

My car is permanently in P1 mode and increment in power in this mode is more than sufficient for some thrilling rides and use P2 mode rarely as the Cruze becomes blisteringly fast and sometimes gets a bit scary

With regards to engine refinement, I dont see any real change in either modes except the engine becomes slightly gruffier in P2 ( not even felt actually unless you pay real close attention) but, is really enjoyable

Hope this helps
Thanks for sharing your experience. Any improvement on turbo lag ? Many have experienced reduced turbo lag, which indirectly means, it should result in better FE. Have you got any?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
NVH will slightly increase in P2 mode. P1 mode there is barely any increase in roughness . If you are satisfied with the power then i suggest you dont go for it.
No problem with power, but slight problem with turbo lag for city driving. If P1 mode will help tiding over the lag with no perceptible affect on engine refinement, I may like to go for this. Is the stock mode brings back the car to real stock position or it is slightly here & there ?
Old 7th May 2014, 21:38   #363
BHPian

Quote:
No problem with power, but slight problem with turbo lag for city driving. If P1 mode will help tiding over the lag with no perceptible affect on engine refinement, I may like to go for this.
I am too considering the RD Box for the exact same reason. Additionally, on the highways, I can reach the cruising speed faster with the box. I spoke to RD and they offered to fit the box in my car for a test drive. Since it takes only 15 minutes for installation, they are fine with removing the box if I am not satisfied with it.
Old 7th May 2014, 21:58   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
In a city environment, the P1 mode for example reduces turbo lag.

When I drove CrazyDriver's Punto with the dual channel DieselTronic box in P2, I did not find any improvement in turbo lag over stock form.
Hi Karthikk,

Could not get you here, do you mean P1 mode only reduces turbo lag & not P2 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager-1 View Post
I am too considering the RD Box for the exact same reason. Additionally, on the highways, I can reach the cruising speed faster with the box. I spoke to RD and they offered to fit the box in my car for a test drive. Since it takes only 15 minutes for installation, they are fine with removing the box if I am not satisfied with it.
Please do the test asap mate. Please concentrate on the box's impact on engine noise too. I have my own doubts if the RD box will come to it's own immediately on installation.

Will be eagerly awaiting for your feedback after the TD. I think no 1.6 CRDI user in this forum has got any tuning box installed or remap done. Since dynamics of my car has dramatically improved after installing the spring assisters, I am now in serious look out for a suitable tuning box, which will best reduce the turbo lag of my car, but not one-bit at the cost of engine refinement.

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th May 2014 at 16:24. Reason: back to back posts. Please refrain
Old 12th May 2014, 11:17   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Thinking of getting one for my 1.6 CRDI. One query for all users- What is the impact of the RD box on the engine refinement on different modes particularly in P1 & P2 mode. I love the NVH of my car & I can n't afford to loose it at any cost. Power of the stock car is enough, never felt that I need more. Turbo lag is there till 1500/1600 rpm, but not much of a bother either. Just think that 20k for the box is worth spending if it can help reduce lag a bit & make the car more driveable in the city. In the process, if FE improves, then it will be icing on the cake. But reiterate that I can not trade off the refinement of the engine.

Need inputs please.

Thanks
I am mostly using P2 mode in my Figo. Recently switched back to P1 mode for about 300 KM and then now P2 mode again. I find better smoothness in P2 mode when compare to P1 or Stock mode in my Figo.

Considering Figo has very little Turbo lag in stock itself, i don't see any significant change in that area. However, the drive-ability is much improved because of the increased power availability in each gear which result in quicker acceleration and lesser gear change needed in slow moving traffic.
Old 12th May 2014, 22:08   #366
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
I am mostly using P2 mode in my Figo. Recently switched back to P1 mode for about 300 KM and then now P2 mode again. I find better smoothness in P2 mode when compare to P1 or Stock mode in my Figo.

Considering Figo has very little Turbo lag in stock itself, i don't see any significant change in that area. However, the drive-ability is much improved because of the increased power availability in each gear which result in quicker acceleration and lesser gear change needed in slow moving traffic.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Can I safely presume that P1 or P2 mode will not increase the engine noise? What has been the impact on FE ?
Old 13th May 2014, 00:39   #367
Senior - BHPian

Does this tuning box have an impact on the top speed also ? I know it's the gearing , but what about cars which hit the limiter even in top gear ?

Sent from my mobile phone , please excuse typos
Old 13th May 2014, 07:54   #368
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Can I safely presume that P1 or P2 mode will not increase the engine noise? What has been the impact on FE ?
I think your repeating yourself here with regards to query in increase in engine noise . Why would using the RD box increase the engine noise? If it does, do you think there will be buyers in the market for that product?

It does not increase the engine noise in whatever mode you use

I have experienced a 1kmpl increment in my FE ever since I have started using it

Initially my FE was 11kmpl and now its 12kmpl-12.50kmpl consistently in city conditions

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya View Post
Does this tuning box have an impact on the top speed also ?
No impact in top speed for my car. RD dual channel primarily injects more fuel and boosts the turbo for improved torque and better accelaration and improves the driveability.

However, it doesnt impact the Top speed, neither it increases it nor decreases it
Old 13th May 2014, 08:16   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I think your repeating yourself here with regards to query in increase in engine noise . Why would using the RD box increase the engine noise? If it does, do you think there will be buyers in the market for that product?

It does not increase the engine noise in whatever mode you use

I have experienced a 1kmpl increment in my FE ever since I have started using it

Initially my FE was 11kmpl and now its 12kmpl-12.50kmpl consistently in city conditions
Few have reported increased engine noise, thus this repeated query. I can not test the RD box here like our friends from bigger cities & have a choice either to buy it or not to buy it.

Increased FE of 1 km over the base of 11 km is huge. It's around 9%. Hope this 9 % increase will hold good for almost all cars & under all conditions.

I think I have to take a plunge now.
Old 13th May 2014, 08:21   #370
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Few have reported increased engine noise, thus this repeated query. I can not test the RD box here like our friends from bigger cities & have a choice either to buy it or not to buy it.
I understand. It's best to write or speak to someone over from RD with your queries and let them clarify so your satisfied and only then you take the plunge
Old 13th May 2014, 11:52   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing your experience. Can I safely presume that P1 or P2 mode will not increase the engine noise? What has been the impact on FE ?
Yes, i haven't observed any significant change in engine noise after installation of Diseltronics.

FE depends on mostly how you drive and Figo is very sensitive on FE if you are not driving within the optimal limits. Anything above 100+ drastically reduces the FE. I don't do heave footed driving. At highways i maintain speed between 90 - 110 and i got the same ~20 kmpl in both P1/P2 in long trips even after the Dieseltronics installation. To my regular office trips, which is outstrike of city but with partial congested highway, i am getting the same 17-18 kmpl in P2 mode which is again similar to what i got prior to Dieseltronics. My chances of city bumper-bumper traffic is very rare so far and not enough to observe city mileage, so can't comment in that (but i guess, P2 will have adverse effect on FE in city traffic).
r_devakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 11:15   #372
Distinguished - BHPian

How do you find out if you are on P1 or P2? There seems to be no visual light or anything anywhere.
Do you just press the button on the remote once or twice to switch modes?
Does it stay on that setting for ever inspite of shutting down the car overnight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_devakumar View Post
Yes, i haven't observed any significant change in engine noise after installation of Diseltronics.

FE depends on mostly how you drive and Figo is very sensitive on FE if you are not driving within the optimal limits. Anything above 100+ drastically reduces the FE. I don't do heave footed driving. At highways i maintain speed between 90 - 110 and i got the same ~20 kmpl in both P1/P2 in long trips even after the Dieseltronics installation. To my regular office trips, which is outstrike of city but with partial congested highway, i am getting the same 17-18 kmpl in P2 mode which is again similar to what i got prior to Dieseltronics. My chances of city bumper-bumper traffic is very rare so far and not enough to observe city mileage, so can't comment in that (but i guess, P2 will have adverse effect on FE in city traffic).
Dev, could you describe your experience with the box on the Figo? Top end's, in gear accelerations etc? If it's been mentioned somewhere, please guide us to that post.

Last edited by mobike008 : 14th May 2014 at 14:13. Reason: Back to back posts. Please refrain
Old 14th May 2014, 11:40   #373
BHPian

Just happened to come across this thread. Being one of those early adopters of RD box, thought ill write a short review.

Got the RD box sometime in 2011 on my i20 Diesel. The single channel one (not the new dual channel one). Have run close to 40000 KM after that without having any issues. I got it fitted at their office near Kormanagala. So, had got an opportunity to interact and try out different mapping after having test drives and getting the mapping customized. Completely satisfied with the product.

I do not use the E mode at all, it literally makes the engine go dead and I do not like it. I got the box primarily for more power with no eye on mileage figures. So, use it either in the P1 or P2 only. There is definitely more smoke in the P2 mode since I had asked them to tune it to the maximum safe limits that they can goto. But, the increase in power can be felt almost instantaneously, it makes the throttle that much more responsive and its so much fun on the highways. Use the P1 mode for city driving majorly, I see only a minor difference between the S and P1 mode. Don't know if the mileage has increased in the P1 mode.

End of the day, its probably the best 20k I have spent on the car
Kimified is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 13:33   #374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Dev, could you describe your experience with the box on the Figo? Top end's, in gear accelerations etc? If it's been mentioned somewhere, please guide us to that post.
Please refer post #341, #345 in this thread for some more details. I mostly drive between 90 - 110, so i won't be able to comment anything beyond that speed limit. Even for that ~100 speed, i don't see any significant change except that the car can reach to that speed much quicker. Also there is very minimal difference in terms of engine strain in the high speed (i.e, the engine seems to be little less strained at 100 kmph speed in P2 mode when compared to stock mode, but the difference is very little)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
How do you find out if you are on P1 or P2? There seems to be no visual light or anything anywhere.
Do you just press the button on the remote once or twice to switch modes?
Does it stay on that setting for ever inspite of shutting down the car overnight?
There is no visual indicator for the mode. The car stays in the same mode even after the switch off and next start. You can easily identify the P2 mode when driving because of the quick acceleration . In case of doubt, you just need to press the desired mode again.
r_devakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 18:01   #375
BHPian

I have been using the RD dieseltronic on my 2013 VW Vento 1.6TDI for more than 20,000 kms. I primarily bought the tuning box as:
1) i did not want to remap my car
2) plug and play
3) aware that the product comes from a company backed with technology and results
4) support even before purchase was fantastic, wrt test drive demos, queries answered etc.
5) preferred the RaceDynamics as I wanted to support an Indian company as well

Ok now about the box:
E mode - Never used it. Bought the box with the intention of increasing power, hence. During the demo, 'E' made the car slightly lethargic during aceeleration. Beyond 3000 rpm, car feels almost normal
S mode - uses the cars stock map, hence never used
P1- used this initially for about a month (2000 kms). Acceleration and mid range become slightly better than stock. Perfect for quicker city commutes. Car feels lighter. You can definitely upshift quicker. For me, FE remained same over my commute cycle inspite of being quicker. This is the win-win map.
P2- this is what i recommend you to do when youre driving your car on P2 for the first time.
Locate a safe, empty patch of road, long enough to get you through atleast 4 gears. Drive till there on stock mode. Press the P2 button on the remote. Brace yourself. Do a mental countdown and take off. Go through the gears holding each gear almost upto the redline (or whatever you think is good). Once youre done, Come to a halt, step out of the car, step backwards, look and the car and ask her "What the hell was that!!?!". Step in again and repeat.
I love P2, and this is what my car has run for from the past 18k kms. This mode puts a grin so wide across your face, that the box just jusifies itself. Not just me, everyone who has driven my car (and other Ventos) have told me how much better and lighter this feels. I really dont need to explain P2. Its what makes the box worth the money being invested in it. I agree to what someone else also stated, its the best 20k ive spent on my car.
satya180 is offline   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks