Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2015, 16:57   #421
BHPian

Chipped my baby Vento 1.6TDI with Racedynamics dieseltronic pro. Could manage only some short drives to garner some initial impressions. A big shout-out to Satya180 for his very useful advice on the chip. As of now, haven't replaced the stock air filters.

- The first thing to notice is the eagerness of the engine to rev. Always felt that the 1.6 TDI had some inborn qualms about revving quite as free as a 1.6CRDI from Hyundai. Isn't the case anymore.

- Eco mode is very driveable. Vento already has some good turbo spool as stock, so the blunted torque kick in Eco mode isn't really a problem. Found city drives to be hassle free, although certain situations demanded that odd gearshift.

-P1= increase in power and torque is definitely noticeable. Builds up revs quite fast. Can feel the torque pulling the car forward.

-P2 = increase in power and torque is evident especially at higher rpms. Only a mild improvement in lower rpms was noted. The 1.6TDI could already build up speed pretty easily. P2 makes it even easier. Found an empty stretch of road and floored the throttle. Pulled cleanly to 140kph with no intention of slowing down. Traffic conditions and poor lighting prevented me from going any further.

First impressions are very promising indeed. Hopefully I can test it out over longer distances to give a better idea of the power and efficiency figures.

P.S: Something I had noticed. When I first installed the chip, my fuel level was low (the indicator popped up). Could notice further improvement in the performance once I was filled up. Is it just a subjective perception or does low fuel have any
impact on the working of the chip??
Old 20th February 2015, 17:47   #422
BHPian

Re: Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racedynamics View Post
The swift will not support a dual channel box and really doesn't require one from the gains we've seen with the single channel version.

That is incorrect, there are no problems faced with our boxes and automatic transmissions.

Glad to hear your experience! On the Innova and Fortuner, Map switching is not on the fly and the boxes require the ignition to be turned off and back on for the map change to take effect. The boxes work well with the cars and we have now extended dual channel compatibility for the fortuner and intercooled versions of the Innova.

Single and Dual-channel versions are compatible with the City, Amaze and Mobilio.

While we usually have direct access to new launches which come to our facility direct from the dealership, testing on the amaze/city was delayed as we couldn't get access to them. That was the only major trouble we faced

Hi Jayant,

The crawler mode on the off-road version is essentially a revised economy mode - without a significant loss in power. With the crawler mode, torque delivery is extremely linear and in helps limit wheel-spin caused by the turbo kicking in. Additionally, power is higher on P1 and P2 modes.
Hi RD,
I have a Fabia 1.2 TDI (2013 model). ECU is Delphi. Do you guys have a remap or tuning box for my car? I feel there are not much of tuning boxes / remap available for this engine in the market unlike the 1.3 MJD. I have also come across some websites which mention that 1.2 TDI is uncompatible with tuning boxes / remap or even if it is, the gains are negligible.
Old 4th March 2015, 02:46   #423
BHPian

Has anyone tried this on the Ford Ecosport? Does it make it more pleasurable to drive? I'm planning on getting the diesel but the lethargic engine put me off. So i would have to book the Ecoboost engine if I WANT the ecosport.
Old 4th March 2015, 11:26   #424
BHPian

Is there a petrol box y any chance? I have only read about diesel boxes so far.
Old 4th March 2015, 12:05   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Is there a petrol box y any chance? I have only read about diesel boxes so far.
Yup! I think so. Just visit www.racedynamics.in. They've listed some models under petrol engine product range.
Old 18th March 2015, 11:29   #426
BHPian

Experts, racedynamics have RD0901 box listed for petrol cars. Anyone with any review/feedback on this particular box?

If this box is something worth the money, my 2009 SX4 will be more than happy to accept some additional horsepower!
Old 20th March 2015, 11:08   #427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Experts, racedynamics have RD0901 box listed for petrol cars. Anyone with any review/feedback on this particular box?

If this box is something worth the money, my 2009 SX4 will be more than happy to accept some additional horsepower!
Hello there, go through the feedback given by GTO on the RD box on his Civic before you jump in. As he rightly said you wouldn't see the same difference in performance that you'd experience from a DieselTronic. But nonetheless pair the RD box with an intake and a Free Flow exhaust and that's a different story altogether.

Posting the link of his feedback on the RD piggyback. Hope it helps.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...n-ps3-etc.html

blahman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2015, 11:33   #428
Senior - BHPian

RD901 and 601 offer tuning capabilities. Diesel tuning box will offer 20% more right off the box. Not with petrols with just alone a box. You need additional hardware. Moreoever your idling may suffer.
Old 18th April 2015, 14:38   #429

Dear RD, and BHPians

In Oct2014, I have diseltronics installed in my Xylo E8(ABS - Sept 2009 model) in Bangalore. It is doing good so far and i had posted my experience on this thread as i didn't find any Xylo owners who shared info on the device.

summarizing my experience on RD:
- i use it in P1 mode
- found city(bangalore) mileage to improve to 11-12 from stok mileage of 10-11kmpl
- on good highways(Bangalore to Salem) i found mileage to be around 17kmpl-19kmpl(steady speed between 85-100kmpl and not beyond that).

I have a question:
I am planning to do a leh-ladakh drive in early Aug(13 days) from Chandigarh-Srinagar, leh-manali-chandigarh.

Is P1 ok to be used in these terrains/elevations - or switching to S(stock) mode a safer bet? I am not sure on what terrains these have been tested. I know for sure xylo and other vehicles have been tested in these terrains and works fine. Unless we have some feedbacks on the usage in P1 mode in these terrains, i prefer using in S mode without getting that extra power/economy.

Happy weeekend,
Regards,
Deepak
Old 19th July 2015, 08:36   #430
BHPian

I am planning to buy an s cross diesel. My current dilemma is between the 1.3 and the 1.6. My highway runs are predominantly in 2 lane kerala highways. I need to overtake trucks and slow moving trucks may be speed band of 60 to 90. In my dzire I 've to shift.down to third and floor the throttle for a move on with plans to overtake. That's too much exercise for the.left foot. I don't plan a box in d dzire as I feel it's unsafe. But can I "rd " a run in s cross so that those overtakes can be done in the fourth gear.I see no point in buying a 1.6 for its monstrous torque as the low end is bad. Will an rd box be available for the 1.6 vgt mjd so that adequate torque is available at lower.revs?
Old 20th July 2015, 21:32   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
I am planning to buy an s cross diesel. My current dilemma is between the 1.3 and the 1.6. My highway runs are predominantly in 2 lane kerala highways. I need to overtake trucks and slow moving trucks may be speed band of 60 to 90. In my dzire I 've to shift.down to third and floor the throttle for a move on with plans to overtake. That's too much exercise for the.left foot. I don't plan a box in d dzire as I feel it's unsafe. But can I "rd " a run in s cross so that those overtakes can be done in the fourth gear.I see no point in buying a 1.6 for its monstrous torque as the low end is bad. Will an rd box be available for the 1.6 vgt mjd so that adequate torque is available at lower.revs?
Hi there. From an enthusiast point of view, I believe it would be better if you go with the 1.6 as you already own a 1.3 Dzire ( I presume it's the diesel), as buying another 1.3 won't be a true upgrade atleast in the performance department. Strictly my opinion though, feel free to differ.

I had been using RD for my Vento(1.6TDI) for quite some time now and I'm one happy customer. Now I don't know how the engine in question would behave if it were to get RD'ed. From my experience, the bottom end has really improved after adding the box. I'm able to pass over speed bumps at very low speeds even in third gear. From a standstill, you can feel the excess torque pulling the car forward , especially when you slot it into 2nd gear. I don't have any data to show, but in gear acceleration has also improved noticeably. Ever since I heard about S cross and it's supposedly brilliant torque output, I have wondered how it would perform with an RD. Guess we'll know soon About the availability of the box and other such doubts, you can contact them via email provided in their website. I had a pleasant experience communicating with them. Hope I was of some help.

Last edited by GKR9900 : 20th July 2015 at 21:34.
GKR9900 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 22:03   #432
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandygordon View Post
I am planning to buy an s cross diesel. My current dilemma is between the 1.3 and the 1.6. My highway runs are predominantly in 2 lane kerala highways. I need to overtake trucks and slow moving trucks may be speed band of 60 to 90.

I see no point in buying a 1.6 for its monstrous torque as the low end is bad. Will an rd box be available for the 1.6 vgt mjd so that adequate torque is available at lower.revs?
Don't get me wrong in any way but you are jumping the gun too quick!

I have been been driving this 1.3L DDiS since 1.5 lakh kms in total (1.08L in my Ritz VDi and 51K in my Swift ZDi currently). My daily usage spans anywhere between 110 - 130 kms and half of it is on the highway.

With enough experience and learning how to handle the engine in different situations, I feel this is a gem till the RPM of 4000! Post it the engine doesn't like and it shows.

As you own a Dzire VDi (Got the info from your profile), you will be familiar with the characteristics of the engine more than me! When you are on the highway - say for example 60 kmph @ 5th gear the RPM is approx at 1500 which is near to the turbo zone. All you need to do is floor the throttle, worst case downshift to 4th gear where the Net RPM gets into the turbo zone that propels the car to overtake any length vehicle effortlessly. If you are at 90 kmph, the RPM is near 2100 which is in the turbo zone where the need for power is there at any time you want. So all I am saying is one needs to work that gearbox a bit to get the juice of the engine at the right time.

Initially I too used to cry and get irritated because of the Turbo lag but later on learnt the technique and now I know how great the engine is. I have sent numerous mails to RD, Pete's for remap etc but never happened as I learnt it.

I advise you to take a TD of both the DDiS 200 & DDiS 320 and only the decide if budget isn't your concern.

All engines have their faults and I am telling you frankly here, I am buying the S-Cross mainly for its 1.6L MJD engine and nothing more. All the features are the icing on the cake for me! I love the 1.3L totally and go mad thinking how the 1.6L will behave on the road! No other is in my spectrum be it any quality or the number of bells and whistles it offers.
a4anurag is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th August 2015, 12:05   #433

Dieseltronic for my Vento (May'15)

Hi all,

I have recently changed my ride from an I-20 (2011) to a VW Vento (May-2015). Initially I did feel the difference in driving primarily due to the reduction in turbo-lag in Vento (which is my personal opinion). In fact in one of the threads about the recent Vento, I had asked if anybody else felt that the Vento was a little slower in response to an I-20, but unfortunately, I didnt get much of a response about that.

The following are some of the issues that I feel and I am not sure if getting my car boxed would fix them.
  • I feel Vento, is a bit slower to respond than my I-20 did, when I push the throttle down. This could either be something inherent in the car or maybe I am not driving it the right way
  • I was able to reach 70 to 80 kmph in the 3rd gear in my I-20, however in my Vento some how I dont get to do that. I feel shifiting it the 4th gear makes it easier to reach 80 in my Vento
  • While my i-20 helped me reach 100 kmph in the 4th, I am having to push to 5th gear in my Vento to reach the same
  • Would boxing my car with the Dieseltronic help me reduce the gear shifts that I make in the packed traffic (I live in Chennai and the Chennaites would know that traffic has been reaching its superlative in sickness offlate) ?

Now, if Dieseltronic would help me in reducing the gear shifts, I would like to know if there are any dealers of Dieseltronic (in Chennai) that would maybe let me try the box in my car for about a half hour ride, more like a demo in my car and then let me make the purchase decision? Honestly speaking, letting me try the box would be a much favorable act for them as I feel once I drive the car with the box, in all probabilities, I wouldn't want to drive it without one.

Hope I get some response from the experts.

Thank you.
Old 14th August 2015, 23:39   #434
BHPian

Re: Dieseltronic for my Vento (May'15)

Hey there, congrats on your Vento! Wish you many happy miles with her.

I will try answering your queries from my experience with the 1.6 TDI Vento. Now I'm no expert, and haven't driven an i20 extensively, but I feel that most of the problems mentioned is because you haven't yet accustomed to the engine character. Hyundai engines are usually much more rev-happy than VW engines. That is, you'd require a bit more effort on flooring the throttle in a VW 1.6 TDI to reach ,say 4000 rpm, than in a Hyundai 1.6 CRDI. I think that has left some mark on your driving style. Check a4anurag's post above where he mentions about extracting maximum performance from the Dzire VDI. The same principles apply here as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute_force View Post
[*]I feel Vento, is a bit slower to respond than my I-20 did, when I push the throttle down. This could either be something inherent in the car or maybe I am not driving it the right way
Do you mean putting your foot down from a standstill? I had always felt that the 1st gear in Vento is kind of a slouch. You have to floor it to get some momentum going. I usually shift to second much earlier than in other cars or would simply start off from second. Anything above first and the car really comes to life.

I haven't really had a problem with response while on the move. In fact it's quite exemplary for a diesel this size. keep the engine spinning post the turbo-lag zone (above 1800 rpm) and you should have no issues, whatsoever.

Quote:
[*]I was able to reach 70 to 80 kmph in the 3rd gear in my I-20, however in my Vento some how I dont get to do that. I feel shifiting it the 4th gear makes it easier to reach 80 in my Vento
[*]While my i-20 helped me reach 100 kmph in the 4th, I am having to push to 5th gear in my Vento to reach the same
3rd and 4th is where all the action lies. I had no problem getting to 100 in third gear. 4th takes me to the high 130s. If you're in the mood for some relaxed expressway driving, 5th doesn't really disappoint either. At 100kph in 5th, the motor is spinning at a measly 2100 rpm. That means you're right at the start of the power band (which extends till 5000 rpm). Floor it and she does fly! In fact this character of the engine was what sealed the deal for me back in 2013 when I took a TD. I don't think there's much of a difference between the characteristics of the 1.6 TDI and 1.5 TDI except for that turbo kick. I would advise you to floor the throttle and check it yourself.

Quote:
[*]Would boxing my car with the Dieseltronic help me reduce the gear shifts that I make in the packed traffic (I live in Chennai and the Chennaites would know that traffic has been reaching its superlative in sickness offlate) ?
Boxing can provide you with a bit of relief and a lot of pain, in traffic that is. Of course there's the reduced number of gearshifts that makes it a bit more comfortable. Then again, you feel restrained for not getting to unleash your engine's potential! You can have that momentary fun of rocketing into a gap ahead of the car in front of you leaving him speechless though!

Quote:
Now, if Dieseltronic would help me in reducing the gear shifts, I would like to know if there are any dealers of Dieseltronic (in Chennai) that would maybe let me try the box in my car for about a half hour ride, more like a demo in my car and then let me make the purchase decision? Honestly speaking, letting me try the box would be a much favorable act for them as I feel once I drive the car with the box, in all probabilities, I wouldn't want to drive it without one.
Try their website and email them to receive info regarding those queries. They're a cordial lot.
Old 16th August 2015, 16:00   #435

Re: Dieseltronic for my Vento (May'15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
Hey there, congrats on your Vento! Wish you many happy miles with her...............
Thank you so much GKR9900 for taking the time to answer my questions. I much appreciate it. In fact even I felt the 1st gear was kinda slouch. Maybe for me, I had initially tried to keep the drive as smooth as possible and not make it noisy. But then I do see that I had reached 100kmph @ about 2100 rpm in the 5th gear. So yeah, I think I may want to give up on my inhibition and go a bit harder on the throttle.

But on a serious note, I did speak to one called Siddhart who seems to be a dealer for the Dieseltronic and he said he would let me have a demo of that in my car. Hopefully I should be able to get it. In a way, I do feel I wanna be prepared to have that power which could be unleashed. And like they say, with greater power, comes greater responsibility.

Most Viewed