Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2017, 15:05   #586
Senior - BHPian

Re: Racedynamics: DieselTronic Tuning Box

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
If you are in Bangalore, I am sure you would get demo of RD dual channel box. Do call them and confirm
Indeed - will pay RD a visit mostly over the weekend to see how it works out for me. Hopefully to get the box on board soon

Will let you and others know how it goes.
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2017, 22:20   #587
Senior - BHPian

FOlks, lovely thread and great to see so many positive feedbacks and review for the dieseltronic box. I have one question however, isn't there a negative side to the increased power in terms of reduced reliability of the mechanical parts in the engine and transmission? All these parts are designed and tested for specific power and stress. Alternately question could be, how much margin do mechanical parts have in terms of stress handling?

Also based on the thread i figured that the dual channel tweaks with the boost from VGT as well. Given that turbos are fairly expensive, would it be safer to stick to single channel?
supertinu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 00:37   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
FOlks, lovely thread and great to see so many positive feedbacks and review for the dieseltronic box. I have one question however, isn't there a negative side to the increased power in terms of reduced reliability of the mechanical parts in the engine and transmission? All these parts are designed and tested for specific power and stress. Alternately question could be, how much margin do mechanical parts have in terms of stress handling?

Also based on the thread i figured that the dual channel tweaks with the boost from VGT as well. Given that turbos are fairly expensive, would it be safer to stick to single channel?
I believe remap or tuning box will surely add stress to any mechanical part as far as I know. But on the other side, I'm certain manufacturers would have tested the parts under more stressed environment than any remap or tuning box can do and would have drawn a line, that is stamped on papers with all the numbers and facts around it that any machine can take, which I think is about 80% of what engine could do whilst being resourceful and efficient for a longer duration. The other 20% could have been kept away from the light due to potential issues it could bring in terms of durability or reliability.

Perhaps the hidden 20% area is where the tuners invest their brains and fool the electronics to run normal whilst running faster than it could. This is my standpoint from layman terms. Tech savvy guys in the forum has to shed some lights around the request or the ones running on remaps or tuning box with good miles munched on these additives should help us

To add on, will these remaps or tuning box emit more pollution than a normal diesel fuel cars do. Kindly clarify! If it is going to, then I will withdraw from doing any changes to the performance as I do not want to add on to the pollution which we humans are already doing so
gururajrv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 01:00   #589
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Perhaps the hidden 20% area is where the tuners invest their brains and fool the electronics to run normal whilst running faster than it could.
You are totally correct. If the engine was pushed to the max from factory itself.. There is very limited scope for after market guys to give us more power . Most of the components are tested by the manufacturer and they do keep a safety margin which is being exploited by remaps or tuning box.

Quote:
To add on, will these remaps or tuning box emit more pollution than a normal diesel fuel cars do. Kindly clarify!
I think it should increase the emission levels. But it will still pass the routine emission tests. Be it remap or tuning box, I have observed that cars smoke more than stock under full throttle.

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 14th October 2017 at 01:01.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 08:41   #590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are totally correct. If the engine was pushed to the max from factory itself.. There is very limited scope for after market guys to give us more power . Most of the components are tested by the manufacturer and they do keep a safety margin which is being exploited by remaps or tuning box.
Yes. In the hands of a good tuner, the sweet spot of the torque and power can be achieved. If the mixture gets either too rich or too lean, we’re looking at potential long run damage. But we should also appreciate the brilliance these tuners bring into table with them and one such tuner is Rajiv is what I understood reading through posts of yours

Quote:
I think it should increase the emission levels. But it will still pass the routine emission tests. Be it remap or tuning box, I have observed that cars smoke more than stock under full throttle.
Just under WOT then? What is the change interval for diesel and air filter in your car post-remap? Reducing the intervals should bring down the smoke to an extent? Like if you’ve been following 10k for the change interval, reducing it by 2 or 3k should keep the smoke under check to an extent? Though these are diesels, certainly not ok school engines emitting cloud of smoke. Would want to understand if there’s a way to keep these emissions under check to remain green lantern whilst also being a roadrunner

Last edited by .anshuman : 14th October 2017 at 09:24. Reason: Note for Mods removed, please use only reported post for this. Thanks
Old 14th October 2017, 08:49   #591
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Just under WOT then? What is the change interval for diesel and air filter in your car post-remap?
Diesels do smoke a bit under WOT even in stock map. Few cars like Ford 1.5 diesel do emit lot of smoke under WOT even in stock map.

I have 3 remapped cars and stick to regular intervals during service. Changing engine oil little earlier might be good for an engine running with tuning box or remap.

Do not worry too much about increase in emissions. It won't be very significant for sure. The car will pass emission tests.
Dr.Naren is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th October 2017, 17:58   #592
Senior - BHPian

Couple of weekends back i went to RD's office in Koramangala and took a dieselbox demo on my prev gen Figo. Drove the car for about 15mins post installation. Heres my assessment based on it.
  • Installation though supposed to be easy, is extremely complex on Ford cars. Takes about 30-40mins requiring removal of battery and air intake plumbing. I was told other cars its less than 10 mins. Will check on my XUV sometime
  • First things first, it does not help much on the low end in the range where turbo has not kicked in yet. RD person also told me the same thing. This was the reason I took my Figo in place of XUV to check how much it helps lower in the range. Gearshift below boost range would be required
  • In figo the boost actually starts building from 1500rpm but really peaks from 2000 onwards. In P2 mode the pick up was certainly better from 1500 rpm onwards and car takes off much better from 2000. The main difference in peak torque was that car doesnt flat out continues more linearly
  • P1 mode which would be the recommended mode I guess for regular use is marginally better. Maybe I didnt drive enough to tell. Certainly not as obvious difference as P2
  • E mode was actually not bad. IN Bangalore bumper to bumper traffic it would make sense

In a nutshell, I decided not to get it installed on my FIgo primarily cause its a city car and advantage in city traffic conditions arnt as good due to no change in low end. I am planning on taking the demo on my XUV where in general there is no dirth of torque/power at lower range. But given thats the car i use for highways also, P2 mode would surely make it fun. Will try and decide.

RD guys were nice and professional and helpful. Made no fuss of the demo despite the amount of effort involved with installation and removal later, esp with a hot engine.

Last edited by supertinu : 30th October 2017 at 18:01. Reason: typo
supertinu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th November 2017, 11:18   #593
KBo

Team RD,
I have an XUV 500 W6 AT.
I am considering fitting your box. I have the following questions:

1. Does it alter the warranty terms of the car?
2. How many modes would I get? Eco & Performance both?
3. Would the current suspension & braking set up be adequate when used in the Performance mode?
4. Can it be installed in Pune?

Do let me know...
Old 20th November 2017, 17:05   #594
BHPian

Hello friends, I am planning to fit dieseltronics dual channel for my i20 that has clocked 30k KMs. So I called up their Koramangala office and enquired about it . They asked about my car usage. I told them that I use it mainly on highways as I do weekly trips to my hometown. The person who spoke to me told that dieseltronics will bump up the mid range and would be very useful in city traffic and on highways there would be no considerable change. He also suggested me to go for single channel. Could anyone who has installed this do Hyundai i20 give a brief review and is it good for highways?
Old 20th November 2017, 17:38   #595
Senior - BHPian

Just a question, have you asked the RD guys what power bump in your car is with the P1 and P2 modes as I see lots of you guys switching or driving in P2 modes.

Let me give you an example of what I mean

Stock Swift Diesel - 76 bhp - 19 kgm of torque
P1 Mode - 90 bhp and 23 kgm of torque
P2 Mode - 105 bhp and 25 kgm of torque

These are hypothetical figures, I don't know how much torque or bhp each mode generates but without knowing the power generated by each mode, you guys should not be using those modes.

A 105 bhp and 25 kgm Swift Diesel driven at top speed say on the expressway will have things like EGT to be considered which if not looked at will destroy a lot of things.

My advice, please investigate what you are getting into with power figures, dyno test results etc before actually enjoying the fruits of the new power.

Nothing against RD or anyone, but just information sharing, isn't that what team-bhp is about?
Old 21st November 2017, 08:51   #596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are totally correct. If the engine was pushed to the max from factory itself. There is very limited scope for aftermarket guys to give us more power . Most of the components are tested by the manufacturer and they do keep a safety margin which is being exploited by remaps or tuning box.
There is a safety margin of 25 to 30% and tuners play within the available RPM range by fooling the ECU. RD offers 4 or 2 modes and all new cars now come with 3 modes, but no manufacturer would like to invest money to change injectors just for this feature.

Dual channel box is useful only if your car has a Variable Geometry turbo, the Aspire has a Fixed geometry turbo. Since the 1.5L TDCi engine is very fuel efficient and punchy by default, it is sufficient to buy a lite version.

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd November 2017 at 22:01. Reason: Posts merged on request.
Old 22nd November 2017, 19:05   #597
Senior - BHPian

Paid a visit to Race Dynamics today to get a trial with the dual channel box for my Aspire diesel.
Unfortunately the road there was being dug up and I couldn't take my car inside.

Upon reaching there, I was asked to wait. Thinking that they may get the box to fix, I spent around 15 minutes and then grew impatient and asked the sales person is it possible today since the car can't be brought inside and then he told me it's better I come another day.

The sales guy was telling me there is a lower priced box now called 'lite' which doesn't have any modes and is tuned specific to a car and cannot be used in another car. The power bump doesn't seem to be high as a dual channel box and is conservative as per him. The price is almost half of that of a dual channel and works on both boost and fuel pressure.

Hopefully next time I go, I get to try it out.
tharian is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 21:14   #598
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Dual channel box is useful only if your car has a Variable Geometry turbo, the Aspire has a Fixed geometry turbo. Since the 1.5L TDCi engine is very fuel efficient and punchy by default, it is sufficient to buy a lite version.
Nothing to do with FGT or VGT. Dual channel box supports turbos which are electronically controlled. Honda 1.5 IDTEC has FGT turbo (but with ECU control) and RD dual channel box is supported. Same case with Ford Figo / Aspire / Ecosport.
Dr.Naren is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2017, 21:21   #599
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dual channel box supports turbos which are electronically controlled.
Yes, the actuators are electronically controlled which in turn controls the opening and closing of vanes based on air flow on the turbine side, but the FGT turbo has a mechanically controlled wastegate, so the second channel does not regulate the boost pressure on FGT's.

Last edited by deehunk : 22nd November 2017 at 21:28.
Old 22nd November 2017, 21:29   #600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Yes, the actuators are electronically controlled, but the FGT turbo has a wastegate which is controlled mechanically so dual channel does not control the boost pressure of FGT's.
Ford 1.5 TDCI has an electronically controlled wastegate for its fixed geometry turbo. So boost can be controlled with the box in this engine.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks