Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2012, 23:03   #16
BHPian

A million thanks to you all for the valuable inputs :-)

Why 1.3 and not the 1.6?
I always loved Ford Ikon for the handling, steering response, passenger legroom, powerful AC...

I did want to buy the 1.6 but looking at the way the petrol rates are going up, I decided upon the 1.3 which gives not less than 10kmpl.

I am going by your words. I am first trying to put the car into pristine running condition.

Till yesterday night, I had 2 things in my mind. Whether to get it serviced at Technocraft or Lathangi. Finally decided to go to Lathangi.

The Service Advisor took the vehicle details and said that the car was serviced 5 months back and it has run only 800kms. I was happy to hear that. He then checked the oil and coolant levels and asked me not to change it.

He said he can wash the car for me as it is in good running condition. Even though I was happy, I was not satisfied. I asked him to do a thorough checkup of head-gasket, suspension and brakes.

This evening he had called and told me that the car's head-gasket is fine. He will check the suspension and brakes tomorrow.

Hoping to see bill not exceeding the figures of 3-4 digits :-)

Again, thank you all for the wonderful guidance. I am a novice and I need your support :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancersfx View Post
Congrats on buying a Ford. Great drivers car this and you'll love every bit of driving in it. I too am a ford owner but a diesel and maintenance is on the higher side. However, the only value add that I could do to your post is with reference to the Hellas's. When I got mine, I checked if there are others in this forum who installed aux lamps but didn't find any thread on the same. I have the Hella 700ff Bolted to the bumper with the two nuts in front of the ford logo on the grille. Another option is to make a clamp (custom) that will protrude from behind the bumper through the lower grille/slots in the bumper and extend upward.
Here's a pic of the Hella's installed on mine.
Thank you lancersfx

I have a different type of grille :-( is there any other option to fit it?

Also, I came to know that Hella has a lot of duplicates. Which is the best place to buy the genuine lamps? Do we get Yellow colour Hellas?

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th May 2012 at 11:14. Reason: back to back posts. Please check rule # 5b
Old 17th May 2012, 09:47   #17
BHPian

Re: Just bought a Ford Ikon 1.3 Flair. Need tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenuKumar View Post
Thank you lancersfx

I have a different type of grille :-( is there any other option to fit it?

Also, I came to know that Hella has a lot of duplicates. Which is the best place to buy the genuine lamps? Do we get Yellow colour Hellas?
Grille doesn't matter. There is enough space on the bumper.
Yellow I've not seen in Hella but in Neolite. Place to buy Hella - Shop4Hella.com
Old 17th May 2012, 20:00   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
AC evaporator coil costs ~4k including labour. AC divertor valve costs ~2k including labor. ~1.5k for oil top-up. These are the parts you will need.

1self, this ikon comes with a timing chain, with a life of a lifetime!
Hi Dhanush, I am in serious trouble now.

I got the vehicle serviced. They replaced the brake cylinder, lower arms, suspension bush etc. He said that the car is in good condition now. The bill value was Rs.8900

Came happily from Lathangi Ford. Drove for 15 kms and there was a long signal. I turned the ignition off and turned it on when I was ready to move. SOMETHING STRANGE HAPPENED.

The AC turned into a heater. I turned the AC off. Still hot air. The button is set to blue but I am getting hot air even if I turn the blower on!!!

Looks like I am in serious trouble. PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 17th May 2012, 20:32   #19
BHPian

That's the AC divertor valve acting up.
This and the Ignition coil are the Ikon's weakest links.
jeeva is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 21:02   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The AC turned into a heater. I turned the AC off. Still hot air. The button is set to blue but I am getting hot air even if I turn the blower on!!!
Easiest workaround: disable heating. So no divertor valve. You will then get only cold air. Check Benbsb29's ownership thread for more details.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 21:39   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Easiest workaround: disable heating. So no divertor valve. You will then get only cold air. Check Benbsb29's ownership thread for more details.
As condor mentioned, i got the same done on my car. It was only a matter of bypassing the valve, which means no more heater for you.
There is another downside to this cost-effective method - you will not be able to use the regulator to regulate the temperature of the A/C. The A/C will always be at the highest cooling.

Here is the link to my thread and post, in case you want to have a look.
Ikon_Flair_ownership_thread .

I had this done on my car, and except for the negatives mentioned above, its been working fine.
benbsb29 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2012, 22:15   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
As condor mentioned, i got the same done on my car. It was only a matter of bypassing the valve, which means no more heater for you.
There is another downside to this cost-effective method - you will not be able to use the regulator to regulate the temperature of the A/C. The A/C will always be at the highest cooling.
Oh my god. After 4 years of ownership, I now know why there was no heater in my car when i got it. But then I never bothered to get it repaired. As condor said and bensbsb backed, the ignition coil/ac compressor are the most vulnerable.
Old 18th May 2012, 01:17   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Renu Kumar

Please check this: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ml#post2414145

Thanks,

Dhanush
Old 19th May 2012, 14:12   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

RenuKumar, the queries at the start of this thread have been answered. The rest have been discussed time & again; it is recommended that you search through our database.

Thread closed.
Old 3rd April 2015, 02:25   #25
BHPian

Bought used Ikon, got ripped off big time

Hey guys,

I bought a used Ikon 1.4 Tdci yesterday, 2009 model, run 56,000 km and I paid 1.87L for it. The interiors were a bit mucky so I decided to do up some upholstery work, I felt it wise to give it for a service before I do interior work and gave it to Ford this morning.

They gave me an extensive list of things which are wrong with the vehicle, this comes as a big shocker to me because I went for a TD before buying it, I took a driver along with me and he ran a TD and examined things and everything seemed fine.

according to the Service center evaluation, these are the main issues:

1. Oil sump has a dent and needs to be replaced - 6.5k
2. Timing belt replacement - 9.5k
3. Primary pump diesel leak - 15k
4. Power steering rack and main hose - 23k
5. A/c not cooling efficiently, condenser has a dent - 7k
6. Ckp sensor - 4k.

They quoted roughly 70k excluding labour and taxes. I feel so cheated, I'm sure the seller won't take it back, they decided the timing belt needs to be replaced based on the fact the car is 6 years old, not because of any actual problem. I'm confused, I want to do a good job on the car, but this is really expensive, should I give it to a local garage in Bangalore? Kindly give your inputs.
Old 3rd April 2015, 04:27   #26
BHPian

Please take the car to another service center or a local garage for second opinion.
Oil sump need not be changed if there are no leaks, just try to be careful not to scrape it (even with a new one there is no guarantee that it will survive a hit). Similarly just because a car is 6 yrs old, I doubt if timing chain needs to be changed.

If the car is not serviced yet then take it to a different FASS and let them give you their analysis. Then take a decision.
Old 3rd April 2015, 07:17   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Bought used Ikon, got ripped off big time

@Roguerider, so who ripped you off - the seller or the service centre ?

You had tested the car before you purchased it. I hope you had also checked the engine for signs of any leaks.

Did you check the a/c cooling during TD ?

Why does the service centre want you to replace the steering rack & main hose ? Is there a problem with the steering ? How did the steering feel during the TD ?
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 08:32   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueRider View Post
6. Ckp sensor - 4k.
Better to go for a FNG rather depending on Ford A.S.S
1) Used one (in decent condition) are available at cheaper price
2) How did they arrive at this solution of changing timing belt? Is it by age or mileage or physical condition? Check with a reliable mechanic.
3) 15k is for fixing the leak or pump replacement?
4) Any issues?
5) This you should have felt during TD. I'm not sure if Fiesta classic condenser is same as Ikon 1.4. We replaced one for my friend's Fiesta classic (couldn't recall the brand) for little less than 3.5k
6) What is Ckp sensor?
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 09:35   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They quoted roughly 70k excluding labour and taxes. I feel so cheated, I'm sure the seller won't take it back
Cheated by whom?. While buying a used car, its the sole responsibility of the buyer to check the car extensively before making the purchase. Its only a matter of goodwill and decency of the seller to share 100% of the niggles. In this case, I have a feeling the seller might not have even known half the below mentioned problems.

Regarding your problems:
Quote:
Well, if the capacity of the sump has changed, you will need to replace it. However, cheaper alternative is to tinker it back to shape. Will work 100%.
Quote:
Preventive maintenance.
Check the service manual. It will have the interval in which timing belt need to be replaced. I have a feeling, yes, it should specify the same.
Quote:
Do you feel any difference in the engine performing? Is the leak visible? Just to make sure they are not scamming you.
Quote:
The IKON steering is super rugged. If there are no visible leaks and you have no issues with steering, there is absolutely no need to change the steering assy.
Quote:
Well, this too depends on you. Do YOU feel the AC non efficient?
Quote:
6. Ckp sensor - 4k.
Crank shaft position sensor?!. Please ask them to show it in a OBD device. If you have no issues with the engine performance, how did they finalise on this problem?

For the above mentioned problems, I'd suggest you cant go to a local garage. Except for the oil sump may be.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2015, 09:43   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My sump had a dent too, nothing a little hammering from inside can't fix, Don't get it replaced. 6.5 K is anyway a lot to pay for an oil sump.
humyum is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed