Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2012, 19:24   #1
BHPian

Niken Gear Knob With engine start button?

I just noticed this product on AutoTrends.in website. Here is the link for the same.

Niken Gear Shift Knob with Engine Start Button

I think the same seller is selling this on the Classifieds as well.

Niken Gear Knob With engine start button?-niken.jpg
(copyright of the image with autotrends.in)

Anyone who has purchased and used this? Any reviews about the same?

It seems like a nice thing to buy and install, but I did not really understand how the start button is supposed to work. There is mention about some kinda connection you need to make (and it says a competent enthusiast can easily DIY this), but will it surely work with all cars? And, is it a completely safe thing to use or would there be any potential issues?

PS. Mods, I couldn't find a thread about this item on the forum. If it does exist, kindly merge.

Last edited by swarnava.m : 21st May 2012 at 19:26.
Old 21st May 2012, 20:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: NIKEN Starter Button Shift Gear Knob With Engine Push Starter Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
It seems like a nice thing to buy and install, but I did not really understand how the start button is supposed to work. There is mention about some kinda connection you need to make (and it says a competent enthusiast can easily DIY this), but will it surely work with all cars? And, is it a completely safe thing to use or would there be any potential issues?
It basically does the same job of your ignition key. When you hold the ignition key for a couple of seconds, it activates the starter motor. This switch would do the same job. Instead of holding the key, you just need to press this button for starting the car.

Pros:
  • Upmarket look and feel
  • Easier to push a button than rotate a key
  • Modern Look and feel
  • Can be installed in any car
Cons:
  • Aftermarket product, so not sure about quality and reliability
  • Wiring will have to be cut / parallell connection needed
  • WILL Void your manufacturer warranty
  • Aftermarket support in remote area not available
  • Installation will be a challenge and troubleshooting the same in future will further be a challenge.
The button start was orignally designed to complement a true keyless entry system. The smartcard in your pocket will automatically unlock doors as soon as you approach your vehicle and you just need to press the button to start the car and just drive away. No need to fiddle with keys or look for the key-hole or carry them around.

This is just a novelty. No practical use. You would have to carry the key anyway to lock / unlock your steering column and turn on the electricals.

Last edited by scopriobharath : 21st May 2012 at 20:54.
scopriobharath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st May 2012, 21:30   #3
BHPian

Re: NIKEN Starter Button Shift Gear Knob With Engine Push Starter Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by scopriobharath View Post
It basically does the same job of your ignition key. When you hold the ignition key for a couple of seconds, it activates the starter motor. This switch would do the same job. Instead of holding the key, you just need to press this button for starting the car...
Thanks a lot. Needless to say, that pretty much clears up a lot.

Guess I am happy with my issue-free car the way it is.
Old 25th May 2012, 15:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Niken Gear Knob With engine start button?

Go for it, mate. I had it in my Esteem and it was a party trick EVERY single time. It's a lot of fun to start the car up by tossing open the gear knob cover and pressing the button. I'd love to have it but I don't think I can let go my Ford Fiesta's chunky gear knob yet!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks