Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2012, 14:04   #16
BANNED

Re: Buying a new Jack

I would avoid hydraulic devices. I bought one ages ago and when required the oil had leaked out and it was useless. So go for a mechanical system. I hear the battery operated stuff can still be operated manually.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2012, 20:24   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
libranof1987 or other folks please help to procure new jack for my Getz(P) car. It gave way one week back.
Is it OK to procure local ones or should go with Hyundai folks
Also from where I can get the jack in Bangalore. I stay at Sarjapur ORR
I am looking for manual jack ie not that 12V stuff
Just ensure you get a jack that conforms to the weight limit; I believe you'd need the 2T jack.

Reliance Autozone near HSR Layout stocks jacks but they'll be slightly more expensive.
Old 17th November 2012, 18:10   #18
BHPian

Issue with TATA Indica V2 Jack

Yesterday I had a very horrible experience courtesy TATA Motors. I was coming back from dinner at a family friends place located a away from city in a village. The connecting road is isolated and no lights/people for many KMs till it touches the town limits. I was driving nicely at around 40-50 KM/Ph with my mother as co-passenger.

When I realized that co-driver’s side rear tyre has gone flat I took out the stepney, Jack and got ready to the change the tyre. I was rotating the jack knob to get the height so that I can put it in the place, suddenly the jack knob became very free and even after lot of turns the jack was not expanding. After struggling some time and trying to open it up in all possible ways, one side of the jack opened up like a crocodiles mouth

Buying a new Jack-1.jpg

Buying a new Jack-2.jpg

Adding to that misery the mosquitoes and insects started their feast. As an instantaneous reaction I tried calling few of my friend but for some reason calls were not going through (There is on on road assistance in my home town) . I was stuck in middle of an isolated road with nearest help few Kms away with a flat tyre and a broken jack given as a part of OEM package.

After 30 minutes of war-o-jack and phone a friend in vain, luckily a Wagon R came that way. He was kind enough to lend me his car’s jack and put the lights on so that I can change the tyre. For a moment I felt he was a messiah who has come with a jack just to help me.

Buying a new Jack-3.jpg

Funny part was, after the action was over I was washing my hands and suddenly saw something like a pully on the ground. Then I realized that that culprit pully from Jack. A bit of quick R & D conducted to see what actually happened (Marked Image) . Interesting thing I found that the hinge of both the pullies connecting the screw rod in WagonR’s jack were closed. Not sure why TATA left that open.

Buying a new Jack-4.jpg

Buying a new Jack-5.jpg

Its was indeed a good learning. Going forward, apart from my regular check-list on the car will also include spare torch light in the car. But I found it really surprising how that pully came off the jack ( Decent effort from my side today morning to put it back with no joy ) which was fixed by a local mechanic.
M.R.Boruwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2013, 11:03   #19
BHPian

Ford Ikon Jack problem

I have got a problem with the jack of my Ford Ikon. The OE jack was very convenient but last week while i was jacking up the car, the bush holding up the rod broke off. I saw that it was made of plastic, non-replaceable. The lathe CNC wouldn’t make one of iron because the threading on the rod was opposite.
Buying a new Jack-image0912.jpg
So i went to buy a new jack but the Ford dealer said that the OE jack design is flawed so you might be better off buying a scissor one. Hence I got one for Rs. 750. Now the problem is that the scissor jack i got has a flat hoisting base so i am not able to find a proper jacking point on my car. Improper jacking could lead to breakage/damage to chassis components, which i don't want to do. The pinch weld where the OE jack slotted cannot be used now with a flat base.
Buying a new Jack-image0913.jpg
Buying a new Jack-image0914.jpg
Buying a new Jack-image0915.jpg
Buying a new Jack-image0916.jpg
Buying a new Jack-image0918.jpg
I have two options now.

1. Get the curved base from the OE jack cut-off and arc welded to the new scissor one, though it will not be movable as it was in the OE one(to compensate for the vehicle’s movements while being jacked up.
2. Get a completely new piece of molded iron welded to the scissor jack in the shape of the old OE hoisting base.

OR

3. Find a proper jacking point where the scissor jack's flat base will be usable. Though the manual shows trolley jacking points in a daigram, i am not able to find them actually.

Also can i weld the handle of the old jack jack to the new one, since i find the long one very inconvenient.
Attached Thumbnails
Buying a new Jack-image0920.jpg  

Old 10th January 2013, 11:54   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Ford Ikon Jack problem

I dont have my car with me right now, so, I'm not sure which area is towards the inside/towards the cabin, but, I've marked the jacking points in your picture. Use the one which is towards the cabin side.

If you use these points, it should be fine. No need of going through the hassle of cutting and welding.

dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 12:20   #21
BHPian

I am attaching the file again with the note. The parts you marked are vertical ones.
Attached Thumbnails

Old 11th January 2013, 19:05   #22
BHPian

Can anyone post a image of the trolley jacking points for a ford Ikon?
Old 11th January 2013, 19:50   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingheaven View Post
Can anyone post a image of the trolley jacking points for a ford Ikon?
Hi,

The part that I marked are, flat/horizontal. You can use the flat area towards the cabin side around the area where you said is the OE jacking points.
Old 11th January 2013, 20:14   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Hi,

The part that I marked are, flat/horizontal. You can use the flat area towards the cabin side around the area where you said is the OE jacking points.
By any chance, do you mean the tube like thing below the chassis? Somehow it feels hollow to me. Also it doesnt run till the rear, so what about the rear jacking points?
Old 9th April 2014, 14:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

Volker has introduced a Car Air Jack: The Air Jack lifts a vehicle using emission coming from the exhaust pipe. A 15 feet hose attaches from the exhaust to a big sack placed under the car (Placed as per the requirement). The air coming out of the pipe fills the bag. The car can lift off as far as 30", about 2.5 feet from the ground. This jack stays inflated for as long as 45 minutes.

Release the valve to deflate the sack and lower the car in about 30 seconds.

Product features:
  • Simple to use
  • No complicated moving parts to jam or seize
  • Features a 1 way valve at the end of the hose to keep the bag inflated for hours
  • Can lift your vehicle out of a hole when it has sunk up to the axles in environments like snow, dirt, mud or sand
  • Comes with a kit including two protective mats to prevent puncturing the bag, a pair of work gloves to keep your hands clean and protected, a puncture repair kit in case the bag is pierced, laminated operating instructions and a carry bag in which you can store everything
  • Avoids back injuries related to wrong postures and excessive strain caused while operating the conventional jacks
  • Comes in variants of 2, 3 & 4 ton capacities

Contactl: volkerjacksales@gmail.com

Buying a new Jack-demo-5.jpg

Buying a new Jack-demo-6.jpg

Buying a new Jack-demo-7.jpg

Buying a new Jack-accessory.jpg

Buying a new Jack-jack-detail.jpg
parrys is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks