Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

View Poll Results: Is the beauty worth it's price?
Yes: It seems like the sweetest thing for that kinda dough - and hey, you get EXCLUSIVITY; you can't put a price on that. 10 26.32%
No: It would be better to buy a secondhand 3000 GTO and mod away or do AWD to a vRS - or something like that. 28 73.68%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2006, 19:32   #16
Senior - BHPian

First off I have to admire the Bothes for relentlessly trying to put out more and more unique cars...
while others are either talking about it or just twiddling their thumbs.

First the Chinkara, the mini Jeep, the bullet and now the GT40. Even TATA and Mahindra cannot match his product development pace.
But therein may lie the problem, that their products are strictly as good as a first prototype.

Most people know that it takes 4 years to bring a car from a sketch to launch. If you've been in the cars business, you'll know that the first prototype is built in 10 months and from then on its testing, development and more tweaking till you get it perfect.

Coming to the point, I dont think its possible to sell a vehicle by telling a nice story. The proof is in the pudding. You have to build a fleet of
cars and prove that the product works. Right now it looks like a sales pitch to potential investors.

I'm not sure how they plan to get the parts. The 2.7 V6 is not made anymore, so are they buying old Sonatas chopping them for parts??
And why would you use a McPherson strut for the rear suspension? This guy seriously reminds me of Jesse James....chop, cut, drill and weld....push a car out in 1 episode.

Lastly the choice of design. GT40 is a retro that sells to baby boomers based purely on nostalgia. How many of India's new rich even heard about this
car. To them it looks like a relic from the museum.

Anyways, I think these guys are better off in Hollywood building batmobiles.

Last edited by Mpower : 20th April 2006 at 19:35.
Old 21st April 2006, 11:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

@GTO; i agree. i'm all for quality engineering too, no matter what the price. perhaps the proposition might have been more tempting, if, the price would have been in the region of, say, 12 lacs?
regarding the suzuki V6; i was mentioning it as the OTHER 2.7 litre in India, since you quoted the the delta as the only one. and yup, it's not being offered with the replica.

@Mpower; the chinkara wasn't exactly what one would call a GREAT effort. it was a pretty good FIRST effort, that's it. but when somebody boasts of building custom boats as well, you tend to wonder whether they can actually pull off a proper GT replica. but, like you said, the specs DO seem a little off. as for the hyundai engine, it seems they are "sourcing" new units from somewhere; perhaps a few are still in stock.
nevertheless, i agree. the car is not worth the effort or time.

@autopsyche; the chinkara is still available, at about 8-ish on-road (which's still overpriced, i might add). perhaps the sales person you met at the stall didn't have much knowledge about the car.
Old 21st April 2006, 11:27   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya
20 Lacs?
I'll go for option #2 in the poll. Had a ride in MadMonkey's tweaked RS on Saturday - it's got all the performance you'll ever need and much better quality.
If we talk about exclusivity, I'll get myself a used Jag XJ - unmatched exclusivity.

a car like MM's vRS would cost you about 18L new. 15L for the base and 3L for the tyres, suspension, brakes and up-chip..

or maybe the Mugen Honda Accord would run you about 22L and offer you much better ride quality.
Old 21st April 2006, 11:32   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
It is the Hyundai 2.7 in this contraption.
GTO
Right on. This is a contraption. Atleast Chitty Chitty Bang Bang could fly and tread water!

This looks like Junkyard Wars meets American Chopper. Note I did not say Overhauling. Chip Foose would never put his name on this.

Last edited by navin : 21st April 2006 at 11:34.
Old 21st April 2006, 12:38   #20
BHPian

not worth...
spares will be a big pain...
and paying 20L for a replica...
Old 21st April 2006, 21:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

The specs seem impressive at first. RWD, close to 180 hp in something that weighs 820Kgs. Good for someone looking for an expensive toy.
Old 9th November 2009, 15:40   #22
BHPian

Red Line

I became a fan of GT40 when I saw it featured in the movie Red Line. But I wonder how much of the action shown in the movie is for real. In terms of design, GT40 is one shining star. But among performance cars, no other car can be rated higher than Bugatti Veyron (the fastest car) for me.
Old 9th November 2009, 18:51   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum_torque View Post
I became a fan of GT40 when I saw it featured in the movie Red Line. But I wonder how much of the action shown in the movie is for real. In terms of design, GT40 is one shining star. But among performance cars, no other car can be rated higher than Bugatti Veyron (the fastest car) for me.
Irrelevant post made in a three and a half year old topic. Nonetheless, comparing the GT40 and the Veyron makes very little sense. The GT40 was a purpose-built endurance track car with a very narrow intention of defeating Ferrari in Le Mans and the Veyron is a street legal supercar sold to the general public.
Old 10th November 2009, 13:46   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum_torque View Post
I became a fan of GT40 when I saw it featured in the movie Red Line. ....
I guess in that case you are probably talking about the Ford GT (early 2000s) -- whereas the original "GT40" was made around the 1960s. Similar looking cars, but not quite the same!

cya
R

Most Viewed