Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2006, 17:17   #1

Carburettor mod for Padmini-S1

I have a Premier Padmini S1 in shining mint condition. However she has a bad carburetor that needs to be replaced.

Fuel-economy is no object for me. But on-demand power is!

Would you advise me to change to a brand-new Esteem carburettor?

In this present day of multipoint computer-controlled fuel injection, are good new carburettors even available? (brands like Stromberg, Solex-Mikuni, Weber, Zenith or Edelbrock)

Where in Mumbai can I find an appropriate new carb and a qualified expert to do the necessary mods?

I wan't to install a good new carburettor and robust linkage to a
sports-type accelerator pedal.

The whole set up should be reliable enough, not to strand me with (like) a broken accerator cable or a stuck pedal linkage 100s of km away from home in the middle of the night.

Please advise.
Old 20th April 2006, 09:30   #2
BHPian

carbs rule!!

Dude, i've sent u a reply on webers. its great to have carb junkies around when u have so many FI's all over! carbs are the way to go if u want power without selling ur home on the necessary ecu mods for big power! anyway u can run esteem carbs too , or even better i would suggest twin gypsy carbs . side draft carbs are much better at delivering power if you can get astraight enough manifold. just get hold of good tinker and given time he will make a good set of manifolds.
ps . dont let anyone sell u zen carbs for esteem! they have different venturi sizes! not many people know this!
Old 20th April 2006, 09:44   #3
BANNED

Hi,

Dude you can definitely install the carbs you mentioned and we can do it for you, but what other mods do you have to your engine. Only a larger/better carb will not do justice you need to do some other mods as well like a better air filter(conical k&N to handle the extra fuel), exhaust, plugs, plug wires and so on. By just fitting a larger carb(webber 40 dcoe e.g.) you will be running too rich.

PM me for any more details.

Viper
Old 21st April 2006, 09:52   #4
Team-BHP Support

Intrepid,

Im pretty sure Ram will have a wealth of information that you most definitely should tap into.
His padmini runs a solex, and once had a double-barrel rally setup.

cya
R
Old 26th July 2007, 11:53   #5
BHPian

i also need a new carb for my premier padmini s1. is esteem carb a direct fit. which other carb will be a direct fit
Old 26th July 2007, 14:14   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Intrepid,

Im pretty sure Ram will have a wealth of information that you most definitely should tap into.

hehe...Rehaan, dig a little deeper. Which S1 do you think hes talking about?
Old 26th July 2007, 21:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

A stock Fiat engine with twin solexes or even worse, a DCOE, will be sh-it slow compared to one with the stock carb.

however there are better choices today than the single barrel solex. For street driveability the best choice is a Maruti 1000 carb. Esteem venturis are too big for a stock engine. The 1000 carb is a downdraft version of the one found in the gypsy, and it has primary & secondary venturies, so it will perform better than the gypsy carb on a street engine. The stock paper filter from the 1000 will suffice. The manifold for this carb is pretty simple to make, or you can even modify the existing one to mount the 1000 carb.

however if you want to do mods to the engine, like high compression, headers, rally cam etc then twin solexes with a proper 2-1 manifold and balance pipe is a better choice. This level of mods still does NOT require a DCOE yet. The DCOE is a pain to set up with the right manifold, a pain to dial in, and a pain to drive on the street. DCOE is a race carb and not meant to be used on the street with a fiat engine. It makes more sense on a car that already has a reserve of power like the Esteem.

So the verdict is clear: use a Maruti 1000 carb rejetted appropriately. You wont be dissatisfied.
Old 27th July 2007, 00:10   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatdust View Post
i also need a new carb for my premier padmini s1. is esteem carb a direct fit. which other carb will be a direct fit
Whats wrong with the original? Is it busted or is it that you want more power? Or more FE?
Old 27th July 2007, 21:00   #9
BHPian

@1100D.
when i push the acclerator on my s1 all the way down in 1st gear, the engine sounds like as its going to get off as if there was no petrol. then it response by jerking. this was there from the time we brought the car in 1995. this is not good while in traffic.
but the car used to give mileage upto 18km/l in highway. do you know what type of carb is there in s1.
Old 27th July 2007, 22:29   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Intrepid,

cya
R
Intrepid and ram have something special in common..
Old 27th July 2007, 22:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

there are people who know more about S1 here than I do, but I think the S1 came with a different version of the Solex carb that we are used to. Its primary purpose was to improve fuel economy, and hence that jerk you're talking about is probably a lean condition.

Even an older solex carb will solve this problem. They're cheap enough to give that a try.
Old 27th July 2007, 23:43   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatdust View Post
@1100D.
when i push the acclerator on my s1 all the way down in 1st gear, the engine sounds like as its going to get off as if there was no petrol. then it response by jerking. this was there from the time we brought the car in 1995. this is not good while in traffic.
but the car used to give mileage upto 18km/l in highway. do you know what type of carb is there in s1.
Mileage is a different issue.

I get that there is an initial slight hesitancy in pulling, but not sure as you mention you put the car in first gear and then push the throttle all the way down. It could be exactly that driving style wherein the butterfly is opening from idling position to wide-open-throttle (all of a sudden). The fuel circuits in both these conditions are completely different and might be thus causing the hesitance. Do you even feel hesitancy when you start with a light foot?

If you want to have the best start , rev before releasing the clutch, not release the clutch and then push the accelerator all the way down.
Old 28th July 2007, 14:42   #13
BHPian

mileage isn't my interest too. i want smoothness in driving. this hesitation in pulling, when i want to move quickly through traffic irritates me a lot. i consulted many here in tvpm and most of them recommend to change the carb. but non i consulted are that good with padmini and carbs. most of them are surprised see coolent in my radiator and not water. could u recommend someone in trivandrum or south whom i can consult with about my padmini s1
Old 30th July 2007, 13:13   #14
BHPian

does anyone know about paccoindia and theie products. they seem to have carb and other products for all models of fiats and other cars.

carburettor, carburetor, tps, throttle position sensor, throttle body, fuel rail manifold, fuel pumps, crankshaft, Yamaha, suzuki, kawasaki, honda carburettor
Old 2nd October 2007, 11:22   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
For street driveability the best choice is a Maruti 1000 carb.The manifold for this carb is pretty simple to make, or you can even modify the existing one to mount the 1000 carb.
So the verdict is clear: use a Maruti 1000 carb rejetted appropriately. You wont be dissatisfied.
the price of new maruti 1000carb is around 6k. wil it be easy to fit. will any ordinary mechanic be able do it for me. will it give better response.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks