Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2012, 18:23   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Baleno - now with a Red Rooster free flow

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider77 View Post
Contacted Redrooster engineer last week regarding the high speed pickup issue , as per him they have done many power drive set-ups so far and Iam the first one with this problem. Then I mentioned about one more bhpian (tharian)facing the same problem, he said he has no idea why this is happening in theory exhaust gases are flowing freely so car should pick up faster than stock and reach high speeds faster as well.
Anyways for daily bumper to bumper drive in bangalore initial pickup and torque is more important and Iam happy with it, the car pulls smoothly without shuddering .
Let me do another top speed run and confirm on this. Since, the first one I did , I was able to hit the top whack of the car (156 kmh on GPS). It was the second one a few months later that I could not cross 140kmh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
The car getting bogged down at high RPM's is an indication that the exhaust manifold runner diameter and length calculations have been made for low RPM power gains or that there is too much back pressure on the engine at those RPM's which again indicates that the manifold design is wrong or is not meant for high RPM's.

Edit: Does the car rev freely till redline in second gear?
The set up is for low end power which was confirmed by the RRP engineer when I got it done for my Figo 1.2.
As for my car, it does rev freely in all gears. It was the last top speed check that I would not cross 140 kmh.
Old 3rd October 2012, 18:24   #32
BHPian

Yes the car revs freely till redline in 2nd gear.
Old 3rd October 2012, 18:27   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
The set up is for low end power which was confirmed by the RRP engineer when I got it done for my Figo 1.2.
As for my car, it does rev freely in all gears. It was the last top speed check that I would not cross 140 kmh.
If the FFE is setup for low end power then your car's top speed will decrease. Most low end setups increase back pressure in the engine and this leads to a drop in top speed.
vikram_d is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2012, 18:27   #34
BHPian

It is indeed sad that you have been at the receiving end after fitting the FFE. I got mine fixed in Mumbai from B.A.R exhaust through Viper Performance and i think i got the single pipe O2 sensor set up as well. But thankfully my Baleno ( 2000 year model) really got a lot of pep post the set up. Since low end is already strong in the Baleno i opted for a mid-high set up and gains were more than noticeable ( i wont say significant cause i never dynoed the car). But like the experts here put i could smell the car running a little lean. Injector cleaning on every service probably dint make things worse.

As for the performance, what vikram has mentioned could be the problem. maybe you can switch back to stock and see the difference.
Old 3rd October 2012, 19:58   #35
BHPian

These headers are designed for linear power delivery according to RedRoosters . Recently drove a friends stock baleno and Iam actually very happy with the low end torque in my car, it's lot more peppy now compared to a stock baleno.
Old 3rd October 2012, 20:48   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
If the FFE is setup for low end power then your car's top speed will decrease. Most low end setups increase back pressure in the engine and this leads to a drop in top speed.
vikram the top end shouldn't reduce so much even when designed for low end torque. My baleno has done a top whack with the 4x2x1 setup from Raj.

For that matter even akshay's or rahul's car's would easily reach that figure and both were running 4x2x1 setups.

Last edited by Technocrat : 4th October 2012 at 02:09. Reason: Removing high speed mention, thanks
Old 4th October 2012, 11:37   #37
BHPian

Two days back I replaced my muffler again, it's like a never ending story for me. This car being my daily drive I prefer it be as silent as possible . I have tried few options and kind of happy with it but after driving a friends stock car I felt silent cars are more fun(atleast for me). Thought of going for some branded mufflers but almost all of these brands are expensive. Recently came across a thread where a member (eapen) mentioned using a swift muffler on free flow baleno.
Finally I got one swift muffler, this muffler is round in shape and slightly bigger in length. Surprisingly the pipe diameter on this muffler is bigger than the pipe I have connected it to.
It was a bit difficult to install this on a baleno but after some struggle it's done.

Experience with swift muffler:Silent I must say the car is very silent and i feel its more silent than the stock setup.Pickup: yes there is some backpressure now but still it's much better than a stock car, picks up nicely ,feels peppy,and no shuddering . Will check mileage soon .
Attached Thumbnails
Baleno - now with a Red Rooster free flow-wp_000868.jpg  

Baleno - now with a Red Rooster free flow-wp_000869.jpg  

Baleno - now with a Red Rooster free flow-wp_000870.jpg  

spider77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 13:25   #38
BANNED

I am using MagnaFlow muffler with stock resonator with CAT CON removed on stock pipe.
Its almost as silent as stock but I got low end torque and now I change gears in traffic less frequently, in my ANCH.

I'd suggest you to use some branded endcan and I am sure it will be silent.
Old 10th October 2012, 13:53   #39
Distinguished - BHPian

RRP, is this?
Surprised, because the issues that you are facing are word for word the same that I did when I FFE'd my santro zipD.
Only difference was I got mine done from a VERY shady joint in Delhi, at a fraction of what you dropped.

Too much drone, no drone, no noise, 3 endcans, sensor placement, even having a wrong gasket placed(from xing), fixing a resonator.

Tell me, are you also getting increased valve clatter?
( full circle, itd be!)

But glad that YOU are happy, rest who cares?

Could you post a drive-by video too?
Old 11th October 2012, 16:41   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
RRP, is this?
Surprised, because the issues that you are facing are word for word the same that I did when I FFE'd my santro zipD.
Only difference was I got mine done from a VERY shady joint in Delhi, at a fraction of what you dropped.

Too much drone, no drone, no noise, 3 endcans, sensor placement, even having a wrong gasket placed(from xing), fixing a resonator.

( full circle, itd be!)

Yes there was some noise from engine as well , i asked redrooster guys and after checking my car they said its not from exhaust. So i got it checked a t maruti service station,they tried everything possible but no success. my car is running on all new gear bearings , new clutch and clutch release bearings etc. they changed it twice already to check. After all this they advised me to drive for some 2000kms and then they will check it again. Actually the noise reduced a lot already.

Drive by video

Sorry for the quality of the video,there is hardly any exhaust sound with/without the windows open.
Old 13th October 2012, 16:18   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
RRP, is this?

( full circle, itd be!)

I am not sure if it is actually valve clatter. It is more of resonance that is audible which like Spider 77 had mentioned has reduced over time.

I am buttin in since my 1.2 Figo RRP'd had a very audible clatter when revvin in any gear which was annoying for which Mr.Leela recommended another muffler to cancel it or run it so the carbon coats the inside and I chose the latter which worked out.
Old 13th October 2012, 16:26   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian

I am not sure if it is actually valve clatter. It is more of resonance that is audible which like Spider 77 had mentioned has reduced over time.

I am buttin in since my 1.2 Figo RRP'd had a very audible clatter when revvin in any gear which was annoying for which Mr.Leela recommended another muffler to cancel it or run it so the carbon coats the inside and I chose the latter which worked out.
Carbon coats?
Elaborate, please.
Also, can the fellow FFE junkies tell me, where can I source the original santro headers ?
Old 13th October 2012, 16:39   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Carbon coats?
Elaborate, please.
Also, can the fellow FFE junkies tell me, where can I source the original santro headers ?

Sure.
The pipes when are fitted are new, which means the insides are shiny and smooth which was why the resonance was very audible for the first few 100 kms.
I knew for a fact the carbon from the exhaust will stick onto the insides of the pipe which will absorb the unwanted sounds which it did and the ticking sound or clatter reduced over time.

Hope this helped.
Old 13th October 2012, 17:38   #44
BHPian

Re: Baleno now with Red Rooster Performance FFE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
Congrats on the FFE

ideally the dyno run would make sense if you had done a run prior to the installation as well. else it may not depict the correct performance of the FFE.

pricing seems quite ok given that automech charged approx 12k for my OHC FFE about 6 years back ( presume they must have hiked to about 15k by now )
I feel that pricing is a bit high, Raj Hingorani charges 12.5k for an FFE on the OHC..
Old 13th October 2012, 20:09   #45
BHPian

Did a test run this morning with a friend Sandeep . I crossed 140 easily in 4th gear without ac. But while coming back sandy drove my car and he touched 160 in 5th gear with ac, according to him the car was struggling to reach that speed. This was on kollar highway.
overall the car picks up better with this muffler setup when compared to my previous free flowing muffler. yet I feel with the stock setup it was much better at speed above 140. I remember touching 180 mark on Chennai highway in stock mode.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks