Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2006, 18:13   #1

Lpg Or Cng Better For Esteem Mpfi

Dear All

this is my first post, i have a MPFI Esteem 2002 VXI. K&N stock filter, planning to get a free flow done. My daily run is around 100 kms/day. If i go in for a LPG or a CNG with a free flow are there any problems. What wud you advice CNG Kit or a LPG kit ?
Old 23rd April 2006, 19:18   #2
Senior - BHPian

someone answer the guy plz....i wanna know too
Old 23rd April 2006, 19:54   #3
BHPian

I have an LPG kit fitted in my esteem. After extensive research I decided to retro fit LPG as against CNG fot the following reasons:

1. LPG fitted cars unlike CNG do not suffer performannce degradation as the pressure in the tank reduces. The performance degradation is very minor.

2. Filling of CNG is an extremely time consuming process unlike LPG which takes approx. the same time as petrol.

3. Availability of filling stations. There are lots of LPG outlets with new ones in the pipeline.

4. You do get 1km/l average less than petrol but the cost saving per litre more than makes up for it.

The only major advantage of CNG is the excess FE that this fuel gives you. Hence most of the taxis run on CNG while private vehicles run LPG.

More so...LPG being a clean fuel... you can expect your engine to last longer. This could be true for CNG too although I am not too sure of this one aspect.

Hope this helps.
Old 24th April 2006, 00:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

CNG anyday! LPG is dangerous.....
Old 24th April 2006, 02:23   #5
BHPian

think about it!!

i'd suggestu go for cng if you must !! its much safer!! and no your engine doesn't last longer because of it being a clean fuel as that has no impact on the engine its a clean fuel as it gives eco friendly biproducts upon combustion.

but i still feel you should stick to petrol i mean after getting performance parts such as a free flow and a k&n , you are going to hate the drive with lpg or cng !! the car dies with the ac on!! i mean its pathetic as far as im concerned !!
if you are going to be driving a 100 kms a day and not enjoying it on the contrary making it an unpleasurable task then i really don't think its worth it!! but its upto you! its how you percieve driving!! a pleasure or just a means of getting you from one place to another!!
Old 24th April 2006, 02:34   #6
BHPian

Stick wid petrol!! if u really have to change go for CNG.. ive heard that lpg corrodes ur engine due to the water residue.. and its way safer than lpg

~cheers
-Ash
Old 24th April 2006, 11:01   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speed0mania
i'd suggestu go for cng if you must !! its much safer!! and no your engine doesn't last longer because of it being a clean fuel as that has no impact on the engine its a clean fuel as it gives eco friendly biproducts upon combustion.
Hello speed0mania,
I beg to differ.
The reason for the engine lasting more is that LPG is vaporised before entering the engine.
Hence it is supposed to lengthen the life as there are no residues which form when using liquid fuel like petrol.

Last edited by Dark Knight : 24th April 2006 at 11:03.
Old 24th April 2006, 11:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by panky12345
CNG anyday! LPG is dangerous.....
Hello panky,
Could you further explain the basis for this statement?
Old 24th April 2006, 22:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight
Hello panky,
Could you further explain the basis for this statement?
I had a narrow escape around 3 yrs back....I was driving towards Sarai Kale Khan and found that a FIAT padmini that was around 2 cars front of me, nearly exploded and was high on flames. The reason citied was it was fitted with LPG and the guy was smoking, at the same time, there was a leak from the cylinder that caused all this. The guy was lucky and survived as there was only very few LPG left. Owing to this, I made my above statement.
Old 24th April 2006, 22:10   #10
BHPian

Just stick with petrol. If you love driving the loss in power will make you really wish you hadnt switched to cng or lpg
Old 24th April 2006, 22:49   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had a narrow escape around 3 yrs back....I was driving towards Sarai Kale Khan and found that a FIAT padmini that was around 2 cars front of me, nearly exploded and was high on flames. The reason citied was it was fitted with LPG and the guy was smoking, at the same time, there was a leak from the cylinder that caused all this. The guy was lucky and survived as there was only very few LPG left. Owing to this, I made my above statement.
So, why is CNG safer.
Old 24th April 2006, 23:27   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Panky... this was unfortunate and you are one lucky man.
The reason for this could be that the padmini was fitted with an illegal LPG kit...that is the one that uses the domestic gas cylinder. These are certainly hazardous.

The legal ones have all the safety features in place... the tanks are all tested at ARAI and certified after pressure and Xray testing.
The multivalve is a sophisticated piece of equipment and cuts off when you reach 80% of tank capacity.
I really do not think that LPG is more hazardous than petrol. Petrol is highly inflammable too. We all drive potential bombs .
Using certified kits resolves the safety concerns.
Old 24th April 2006, 23:30   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajalphonso
Just stick with petrol. If you love driving the loss in power will make you really wish you hadnt switched to cng or lpg
With LPG.. the loss of power is miniscule... you will probably not realise this.
CNG is a different game altogether. Loss of power is substantial and is usually dependant of residual pressure in the tank.
Old 26th April 2006, 02:39   #14
BHPian

hey there black knight the no residue reason does seem reasonable enough but personally i haven't ever seen an lpg running car that runs too well for too long and as far powerloss is concerned my personal experience says it aint worth it !!
i feel there is considerable loss in power and definately noticable!!
and yes there are more lpg related accidents than cng!!
hence i would prefer cng over lpg !!
Old 27th April 2006, 14:19   #15
BHPian

Lpg all the way. I have fitted one in gypsy and with full load and AC on it does not drop performance. Only thing get it fitted by a authorized mech. Check the pressure flow at service station with AC on mostly at 14 .And see that the engibne in LPG starts with self without press the accel pedal. Once a weekk drive on petrol for a strecth of 10 kms or alterbnatively u can switcgh the car to petrol at night . Next day start on petrol and move on. Lpg is clean and it dores not alter ur pickup.
Lpg can be easily transported and does not require specialized envitronment like CNG. Hence there are more LPG stations than CNG
Also LPG fills at a lower pressure compare to CNG hence the CNG is liable to burst while filling( most probable time)
LPG cylinders and CNG are tested in collision enviormnet woith rigourous flame test. It is found that LPG flame rate is between 5-9 as compared to CNG which is 10-15.
Also many cars in Eurpoe and other countries have converted to LPG
Support the environment and convert to LPG atleast for city use.
U can find more information at

http://www.zeropollutions.com/lpgkits.htm

Hope this was of some help

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks