Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th September 2012, 16:31   #1
BHPian

After-Market Sunroof?

Hello friends,

I am planning to modify my Vento Highline TDI with Webasto sunroof from pune and need recommendations from expert whether I should do it or, not and any issues that I may encounter later. I understand that the paint warranty will become void which is 3 years by default if I go ahead with this modification but anything else?

I read on this forum that there is one guy in New Delhi who has made this amendment using Webasto hollandia 300 at noida(near Delhi) factory. Cost 60K. 3 hours neat fitting.
Link - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/92624-volkswagen-vento-highline-tdi-ownership-review-2.html

Sunroof fitted from webasto hollandia -
http://www.webastoshowroom.com/300info.html
http://www.webasto.com.au/products-and-markets/car/ena/html/8215.html

I found one authorised Webasto dealer in Pune who has two models one with 62k and teh other 72k and he claims that there shouldnt be any complaints that he has seen till date etc(typical sales pitch). My car is driven a lot and not always shining clean so am a bit worried on corrosion aspects as well as voiding the paint warranty? Also was thinking that sunroofs provide a way to breach the car's security system and may not be that safe?

Please advice suitably at the earliest as I want to either do it now or, never do it with this car anytime in future

Thanks,
Nikesh

Note from Support: Please ensure the text does not contain any [FONT] and other tags when posting content created using external word processors.
For more details : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...your-post.html

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 4th September 2012 at 18:41.
nikesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 17:09   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: After-Market Sunroof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikesh View Post
.....Please advice suitably at the earliest as I want to either do it now or, never do it with this car anytime in future...
Am sure you don't want your car to be leaking this rainy season.

Moreover cutting your roof to make way for the sunroof would potentially compromise the structural rigidity of the car.

You have already mentioned about the possible security threat.

And last but not the least, you may want to do a cost benefit analysis and decide if it is really worth the risk and money that will be invested on this project.

A worthy alternative would be to sell this car and buy a car that comes with Sun roof factory fitted. If your too particular on the sun roof.

My two cents.
Warwithwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 17:55   #3
Senior - BHPian

I agree that this would compromise the structure of the car apart from the other negatives you have mentioned.

As an aside, I remember someone telling me about the impracticality of it when someone almost spat through their sunroof from a company bus in HJW. Not trying to dissuade you, but is all that effort really worth it? It is subjective though, while I feel it cannot be used in rains or summer or city roads, others may think differently.

As recommended by WWW above, please consider this as a requirement when buying your next car. Some things are better not done in the aftermarket.

Last edited by selfdrive : 4th September 2012 at 17:57.
Old 4th September 2012, 18:08   #4
BHPian

I have often heard this argument about a sunroof compromising structural rigidity of the car. Why should that be the case? Do cars which have sunroof as a factory option have different roof structures for the same car. For example did the old Skoda Laura Ambiente have a different structure than Laura L&K. I don't think so.

Re. water in rains finding a way in the car - as long as the job is professional i.e. proper drainage channels are provided I think this can be handled easily.

Finally re. safety - why should the sunroof cause any safety issues? All the door glasses can be easily broken. IMO the sunroof is the last thing a thief would break to gain entry in the car. He will have to sit on top of the car to break it and jump into the car. That would be quite cumbersome .
Cesc is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 18:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Am sure you don't want your car to be leaking this rainy season.

Moreover cutting your roof to make way for the sunroof would potentially compromise the structural rigidity of the car.

You have already mentioned about the possible security threat.
Both points not true. I have a 7 year old Swift on which the sunroof was fitted the day I bought the car. I have till date only faced one leakage issue and that was because a small stone had gotten lodged between the glass and the beading. Once the stone was removed everything went back to being normal. Besides this it has never leaked even though the car has now run close 1.3 lakh kms in all kinds of terrain and weather.

Regarding the rigidity, the sunroof has a metal frame which makes sure that the structural rigidity of the car is not compromised.

And as Cesc has already pointed out about security, the thief will look for the easiest and quickest way in and not the most difficult.

I have heard of the spitting incident, but thankfully it has never happened with me.

The sunroof on my Swift is a Webasto and I can vouch the quality of this brand. I saw the install being done on my car and I cringed for a second when they started cutting open the roof of a brand new car, but the professionalism of the install done by the Webasto guys soon put my mind at ease.

Important point to be noted, even if you buy a Webasto sunroof from the car dealer or an accessory shop. The install is done only by the Webasto company guys.

Nikesh - My recommendation, if you want it. Go for it.

Edit: Just remembered a funny incident when the sunroof (so called) leaked. During the construction days of my factory the car would be parked in the sun all day and would get very hot. So it was my normal habit to leave the sunroof open a little bit. And one day it rained and I forgot that the sunroof was open. You can imagine the destruction inside the car. I still have a very hearty laugh whenever I remember that incident.

Edit 2: Another good feature of the Webasto electric sunroof models is that it is connected to your ignition switch. So if you switch off the ignition, the sunroof also closes automatically unless you press one of the sunroof control buttons. If you do this the sunroof will remain open. So it is hard for somebody to leave the sunroof open unless they want it to remain open like I did in my anecdote earlier.

Last edited by vikram_d : 4th September 2012 at 18:53. Reason: Anecdote added.
vikram_d is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th September 2012, 18:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Both points not true. I have a 7 year old Swift on which the sunroof was fitted the day I bought the car. I have till date only faced one leakage issue and that was because a small stone had gotten lodged between the glass and the beading....
Glad that you are having a positive experience with after market sunroofs.

I have come across several not so happy customers who have opted for the after market ones.

Here's what GTO has to say on this. Cross quoting from the thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tml#post109418

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Golden rule of sunroofs : If its fitted by the manufacturer, go for it! Otherwise, dont ever consider fitting one in the after market. The number of headaches are just not worth it. Cutting the roof is a massive modification, and I have yet to see one by a dealer that has endured 2+ years without leakages and rattles.
One more thread that you would like to read

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ance-tips.html

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 4th September 2012 at 18:54.
Old 4th September 2012, 18:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

The warranty will be void if the car is under warranty and i have never heard one good thing about after market sun roof.

I would suggest looking at upgrading your car.

We can discuss in length about structural integrity but we do not have any scientific tests to prove the theories if the structural integrity would be impacted.

The risk is high including water leakage as well as integrity of the vehicle.

So weigh the risk and take a decision and i personally would avoid this idea.
Old 4th September 2012, 18:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Glad that you are having a positive experience with after market sunroofs.

I have come across several not so happy customers who have opted for the after market ones.

Here's what GTO has to say on this. Cross quoting from the thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...tml#post109418

One more thread that you would like to read

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...ance-tips.html
I have no idea why GTO thinks that, but in that very thread I have also posted about my experience with it. The model I have on the Swift is called the Hollandia 300. My old link seems to be dead now.

Quote:
I have had a Webasto sunroof on my Swift for close to 3 years now and have never faced any problems with it.

This is the model that I have on my car and I paid around 27k for it 3 years back.

Webasto Sunroofs India, Car roofs Accessories, Company fitted sunroofs, webasto Motherson India

Last edited by vikram_d : 4th September 2012 at 19:01.
Old 4th September 2012, 19:40   #9
BHPian

To each his own, I say.
Nikesh, if you really fancy a sunroof and are ready to accept the slight probability that there might be issues, which actually can pop up anywhere, I'd say go for it.
Vikram, as he says, has had a long run with the roof and it's going good; so just like any other equipment, you can just hope it goes on well after the initial care.
Driving with the sunroof open feels awesome, can vouch for that.
Just ask around and check the installer's other work, and if he looks good, go for it!
Old 4th September 2012, 20:13   #10
BHPian

I have webasto 300 on my SX4 for 2+ years. No leakage issues. There were minor rattling issues due to shoddy job with wiring. However stay away from 300 due to following reasons:
1. The retraction is limited to 3/4th. It does not slide fully and you can pop out your head and not the shoulders. Besides this is a tilt and pop-out, not the sliding one, so while crusing, wind noise is a pain.
2. 300 is slightly curved, and will not go with the contours of the vento's roof.
3. You will invite rattles.
4. Roof can exhibit simple-harmonic-motion (atleast happens in SX4 - not built like a tank). The metal frame for structural rigidity unfortunately makes the system so heavy; that a wafer thin roof actually shows minor bounciness
5. You have to make sure you grease the sliding rails on time, and keep rubber dust free.
6. The roof lining does not go well (blending) with the sunroof's color.
devsoftech is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 16:21   #11
BHPian

Re: After-Market Sunroof?

devsoftech and vikram_d if possible please post the picture of your car with sunroof along with the pricing details if any
Old 5th September 2012, 16:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
devsoftech and vikram_d if possible please post the picture of your car with sunroof along with the pricing details if any
I don't have any proper pictures of the sunroof, will need to click some. But in the photo below you can see the outline of the sunroof.

After-Market Sunroof?-vik-1.jpg
Photo Courtesy: Rudra Sen

The model is Hollandia 300 and it costed me 27k 6 years back. It was fitted at the Maruti dealer's place on the day of delivery by the Webasto guys.

Last edited by vikram_d : 5th September 2012 at 16:43.
vikram_d is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 16:47   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I don't have any proper pictures of the sunroof, will need to click some. But in the photo below you can see the outline of the sunroof.
The model is Hollandia 300 and it costed me 27k 6 years back. It was fitted at the Maruti dealer's place on the day of delivery by the Webasto guys.
Car looks stunning
Yes I can see the outline of sunroof
If possible do post some picture of sunroof with closed and open position
Old 5th September 2012, 23:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How much time does it to get the whole thing done ?
Old 6th September 2012, 08:17   #15
BHPian

nikesh,

I would'nt advice an aftermarket sunroof. Besides the possibility or corrosion & leakages (over long term), there is also the safety aspect. The roof is a load bearing member in monoque construction.
In cars with factory sunroof, the roof is strengthened at other places. In aftermarket installation, no such provision exists. In the event of a crash, there is no garauntee that the part of the roof which has been cut open will hold up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks