Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2012, 18:12   #1

What would you do to my '92 Ambassador Nova?

Hi all!

I'm new here - to both TBHP and India! I moved over from Australia 2 months ago and I fell in love with the Ambassador!

So, I bought one...
Its a 1992 Nova, in black. Needs a bit of work - which is why i'm posting to the incredible team here! You all are incredibly intelligent and whilst not everyone agrees, its what i love about this forum!

So - I'm putting it out there - I have a moderate budget (around 15,000 a week to spend on it for the first 3 months) and want to make the ambassador the best in Hyderabad (or even India!). Only catch is, its our everyday driver, so the work must be spread over smaller weekend projects...

In my circumstance, how would you spend 15,000 a week for 3 months on an Ambassador?

Thanks

Tom
Old 7th September 2012, 21:08   #2
BHPian

re: What would you do to my '92 Ambassador Nova?

Hi Tom,

Nice to know that you have fallen in love with an Ambassador.You have a very good budget.What exactly do you want do with the ambassador, a ground up restoration or a reliable everyday car?You could check this thread for restoration
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...-progress.html

Cheers
Old 8th September 2012, 12:05   #3

I've read through that thread (long as it was!)

I'd really like to put a personal spin on it, so a redesign of the interior. Keeping the exterior the same style, but with new paint I think.

I'm really open to ideas to be honest.

I want something reliable and safe, but also super classic and stylish :-)
Old 8th September 2012, 15:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Firstly change the bonnet to the one on the landmaster and then have gypsy rims installed on the car this will make it look good
Old 8th September 2012, 18:32   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

That's a very generous budget for an old car with simple underpinnings. With restorations, remember, TOP MOST priority must be the mechanicals. After all, you do intend to use it on a daily basis.

First get the engine checked up. If I were you, I'd get a lovely 1.8 ISZ motor with 5 speed gearbox fitted. This is the choice of engine for Ambassador enthusiasts and was also a factory fit on later Ambys. Get the brakes, suspension and electricals completely overhauled / replaced. Needless to say, the quality of work will be dependent on the mechanic, thus choose your shop carefully. This garage is highly recommended by BHPians. Many people focus only on the aesthetics and end up with a great looking ride that's junk underneath.

Cosmetics are secondary, yet important. You might want to breeze through this thread for inspiration. My personal favourite is BHPian Abaznad's ride.

Good luck and do keep updating this thread with the progress

What would you do to my '92 Ambassador Nova?-dsc00422-custom.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 8th September 2012 at 18:36.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2012, 18:48   #6

Re: What would you do to my '92 Ambassador Nova?

Thanks for the terrific advise guys! I'll check out New Mars. You are a superb team! Any idea of costing for individual jobs done? I'm looking for respray, Isuzu 1.8 Diesel (and install), power brakes, power steering... and anything else anyone can suggest?

Thanks

Tom
Old 8th September 2012, 23:22   #7
BHPian

There is a Mark2 AMBY currently being worked upon at New Mars as we speak too. If i can recall, that client also wanted originality to be maintained outside and spruced up mechanically up-to-date and aesthetically inside.
Old 9th September 2012, 02:27   #8
BHPian

G'day mate, all the way from Hyderabad

I possess a 1959 Ambassador that's been extensively redone and you're welcome to come have a look at it whenever you want. I work in Jubilee Hills, closer to Madhapur and the car is always parked in the office as I have sheltered parking there (and security)!

I have never used New Mars but I intend to once I get hold of this other ride that I've been lusting for since, well forever. I have seen New Mars work personally and have followed some of their stuff online, all I can say is that you're in very capable hands should you choose to go with them.

We should do a couple of Amby drives once (or even before) your car goes to a garage! I leave you now with some pics of my ride.
Attached Thumbnails
What would you do to my '92 Ambassador Nova?-1.jpg  

What would you do to my '92 Ambassador Nova?-2.jpg  

What would you do to my '92 Ambassador Nova?-3.jpg  

What would you do to my '92 Ambassador Nova?-4.jpg  

What would you do to my '92 Ambassador Nova?-5.jpg  

G_AmbyMad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2012, 02:48   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My personal favourite is BHPian Abaznad's ride.

Now that, is a thing of beauty. Sigh.
Old 9th September 2012, 09:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_AmbyMad View Post
G'day mate, all the way from Hyderabad

I possess a 1959 Ambassador that's been extensively redone and you're welcome to come have a look at it whenever you want. I work in Jubilee Hills, closer to Madhapur and the car is always parked in the office as I have sheltered parking there (and security)!

I have never used New Mars but I intend to once I get hold of this other ride that I've been lusting for since, well forever. I have seen New Mars work personally and have followed some of their stuff online, all I can say is that you're in very capable hands should you choose to go with them.

We should do a couple of Amby drives once (or even before) your car goes to a garage! I leave you now with some pics of my ride.
Sounds terrific!! You have an absolute stunner of a car! I didn't think there were many BHPians in Hyderabad!

I live in Film Nagar, so very close by to your work! I'm heading into a mechanics today to get the clutch redone, but after than I think I will head to New Mars and talk to them. Are they reasonable on price? I'm trying to work out budgets and timelines as both my partner and I rely on the car I don't want it out of action for too long.

Will take my camera along today so we have some 'before' shots of the car...

Keep up the advise guys, its helping me so much!!!
Old 9th September 2012, 10:33   #11
BHPian

Howdy neighbor.

I work on Rd#46, that's right behind the Monster.com office. Let me know when you wanna come and I'll give you proper directions

Just a thought - you want to replace your engine with a diesel ISZ 1800, yes? Well, they're going to have to strengthen your chassis, I reckon and that will definitely take more than a weekend. Do let us know how it went with Mars.

G
Old 9th September 2012, 17:39   #12

It seems I hit a wall today...
We went to New Mars today and met the owner, who is a nice guy. Unfortunately I don't think they are able to do what I require in the way I need it done. He was very firm on not being able to do it portion by portion. He had told me the car would need to be with him for 3 months! I can't do anything like that!

So I'm back to the drawing board - can anyone recommend a good mechanic that would be willing to do things in portions. (1-2 days per job)

I'm after getting the following done:
Replacement Fuel Pump
Replacement Fuel Lines
Replacement Clutch
Replacement Radiator
Install Power Brakes
Install Power Steering
Install AC
Refurbish wheels
Old 9th September 2012, 20:12   #13
BHPian

I know a couple of guys. Let me speak to them and see what they say. Am not sure though if 1-2 days are enough for these jobs, however, no harm done in having a chat. Tell you what, why don't you bring your car over one of these days, I'll have them come over to office and they can take a look at the car and tell you how long each element will take.

G
Old 10th September 2012, 13:48   #14
BHPian

Hey Tom, had a word with a couple of guys I know and here's what I've been able to get :

Replacement Fuel Pump - doable over a weekend
Replacement Fuel Lines - doable over the same weekend
Replacement Clutch - doable over the weekend
Replacement Radiator - doable over the weekend
Install Power Brakes - Needs 3 days
Install Power Steering - Needs 5 days
Install AC - Need 3-4 days
Refurbish wheels - doable over a weekend

Also, one of them said he can do all of this 15-18 days and can look at giving you a replacement car (his, so won't be the best ride in the world), if that works for you instead.

Hope this helps
Old 10th September 2012, 19:33   #15

Thanks AmbyMad!

You're a legend!

Lets see what we can do about meeting up this week... The car is at a mechanic (recommended by a someone) today as the fuel pump issue became urgent - Diesel and oil mixing in both directions - not a good start to the day!

Also the clutch has been redone today. So it would be great to meetup this week!

Do you know the Carz on rd 45? I've been to see them about doing the interior work and they've quoted 25,000 for artificial leather seat covers, carpeting the whole car, art leather roof and door panels and putting a shelf in boot, to cover the wheel. Is this price ok? Do they do decent work on interiors? I'm still never sure if I'm being ripped off or not!

Most Viewed