Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th April 2006, 08:29   #1
BHPian

Embossed License plate.

Wanted to know where i could get myself a set of embossed license plates made for my ride, i've seen many indian cars with them and they all seem to be from the south, KA, KL, TN etc.......

Any idea guys?
Old 25th April 2006, 08:39   #2
Senior - BHPian

it's done in hyd in-between 350 to 500 depending on the quality of the plate for a set of 2.
Old 25th April 2006, 08:42   #3
BHPian

Edmund bro, these are called "High Security Number Plates" and are pretty popular in Bangalore. Rumour has it that this is going to be mandatory in the future and we'll not need to carry our RC book with us as a sticker provided by the RTO will contain all these information. The letters which are in black have "INDIA" written all over them. They cost about Rs.800 in Bangalore and come in standard sizes because of which I have them only on my Opel Club and not on my Esteem.

Let me know if it is not available elsewhere and want me to get them made and send them across to you. I am sure they'll look good on your Type-1 800.
Old 25th April 2006, 09:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

My wagonR has the same type number plates(not the high security ones but embossed). I got it for 300. I lost 2 pairs of plastic number plates within a year before finally getting the embossed ones.(Lasted for 2 years and still continuing !!!)
Old 25th April 2006, 09:15   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765
My wagonR has the same type number plates(not the high security ones but embossed). I got it for 300. I lost 2 pairs of plastic number plates within a year before finally getting the embossed ones.(Lasted for 2 years and still continuing !!!)
Standard lettering? And 300 bucks sounds damn decent.........
Old 25th April 2006, 10:38   #6
BHPian

any one in frm mumbai knows where it can be done and whats the cost
Old 25th April 2006, 10:56   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund
Standard lettering? And 300 bucks sounds damn decent.........
If it is just normal embossed ones, 300 bucks is fine. I am surprised that you are not able to find normal embossed number plates in Mumbai/Pune. Are all number plates there sticker on plastic ?

High-security number plates are a class apart and have the reverse-embossing(the letters are at a higher level than the plate) like in the picture that you have posted and they are of very high quality, have a clear coat and the letters don't peel off. There are about 3 authorised people who do this in Bangalore and they all charge 800 bucks or more. It looks something like this although there are some changes for India.

http://img247.imageshack.us/my.php?i...76817psdfe.jpg

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 25th April 2006 at 11:12.
Old 25th April 2006, 12:09   #8
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Edmund, Have PMed you for these plates.
Have these plates on my Machismo.

The normal ones are just embossed. The security ones are embossed and have the IND and the Ashoka Chakra on them. In a few months they will have the Engine / Chasis Number also printed on the plate. These would cost more.
Old 25th April 2006, 15:08   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimish
hey edmund,
u can get it at Modern Cars at J.M Road. Infact, hez got a decent design for Italics letter too (i guess he procures the numberplates from Gujarat).

this one i got from sangli...just 10 minutes to make one pair...450 bucks

It's great that it's available in pune but that looks like it's inversely embossed [numbers punched in as opposed to punched out]....
Where exactly is modern cars?
Old 25th April 2006, 15:18   #10
BHPian

Hi! Santhosh,
Where are these plates made in Bangalore. Want to get them for my car. Will appreciate your help.
Old 25th April 2006, 15:54   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prithvi
Hi! Santhosh,
Where are these plates made in Bangalore. Want to get them for my car. Will appreciate your help.
I got mine from PFM on mission road. Stanley and a Hyundai Service Station are also in the same compound.
Also available at Auto Fusion near Koramangala. It is behind the Koramangala Club. Let me know if you need more details.

Found one with this no. plate from the drag photos....

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 25th April 2006 at 15:59.
Old 25th April 2006, 16:22   #12
Team-BHP Support

These plates may look fine and all. Even a security plate as such may have nuisance value. But beyond that I do not think it will bring in much security. In a country like India where people drive around khatara scooters without any number plates and bikers drive with crazy bat-shaped plates (from batman movies?!) and also different colored plates with only XXX or Devil written on them and yet get away with it all I do not think people will mind driving with old style plates instead of forking out for a high-security plate. And that will beat the whole purpose. :P
Old 26th April 2006, 14:38   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
These plates may look fine and all. Even a security plate as such may have nuisance value. But beyond that I do not think it will bring in much security. In a country like India where people drive around khatara scooters without any number plates and bikers drive with crazy bat-shaped plates (from batman movies?!) and also different colored plates with only XXX or Devil written on them and yet get away with it all I do not think people will mind driving with old style plates instead of forking out for a high-security plate. And that will beat the whole purpose. :P
We have to start somewhere to bring these guys under control. Maybe this is a good idea and will work to a great extent if executed properly.

BTW, I have these High-Security number plates on my Opel because of their excellent quality, font and the letters "IND" am really proud of it. Wish they make them in sizes to suit the Esteem as well.
Old 26th April 2006, 17:26   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$#
BTW, I have these High-Security number plates on my Opel because of their excellent quality, font and the letters "IND" am really proud of it. Wish they make them in sizes to suit the Esteem as well.
Any idea what those "std" sizes are? I saw them on a car, and they look cool!
Old 2nd May 2006, 06:19   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by epyupc
Any idea what those "std" sizes are? I saw them on a car, and they look cool!
Got this info from PFM but could not post it earlier. OK here goes....

For Cars the standard sizes are:
Front: 52 x 12 cms (For most cars, the front can be used at the rear as well Eg: Zen, Baleno, OHC, Swift etc)
Rear: 34 X 20 cms (Cars like Santro, Getz,Lancer)

For my Esteem, neither sizes fill the area provided for the number plate at the rear and looks quite odd .

For Bikes the standard sizes are:
Front: 11 x 1 inches
Rear: 7.5 x 8.5 inches

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks