Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2012, 16:09   #1
BHPian

Carpet Change Query

Did quite a bit of search on whether there are any suppliers for custom carpets however in vain

What i am after is changing the carpets; the entire lot not just the foot mat of my W124 E220

With age it is looking not so great; and the color is not of my choice

What i am after is someone who can get my carpets in the car redone

Anyway been on this route

PS: OEM is not available and if they are will cost me a bomb
Old 20th September 2012, 16:39   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Carpet Change Query

Carpets usually last the life of a car, especially since most of us use floor mats above them (that act as protection).

I suggest you get them cleaned up first. Either do it yourself (DIY) or hire professionals. Most detailers will be only too happy to make your carpet look as good as new.

If you don't like the colour, you could dye it a different shade. Plentiful products available online for the same.

Most expensive option : Get one custom made (look up references in the Team-BHP Directory) or buy a new W124 set online (Sample Vendor)

Last edited by GTO : 20th September 2012 at 17:14.
Old 20th September 2012, 18:10   #3
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks

Thanks GTO

The issue is the previous owner stuck some cheap carpet over the OE carpet; so dyeing them is out of questions... and they are clean..

What i am after is velour in Beige.. which i cannot get unless i either get a new one or get my hands on old W124 carpets...

Last edited by GTO : 21st September 2012 at 12:34.
Old 20th September 2012, 23:27   #4
BHPian

Hey Deepak,

I too once did want to change the carpet , but didn't in the end,
You may try your luck at orchis in powai , when i had inquired a year back it cost some 4k - 5k to install a new carpet in my OHC.

some pics sorry pic quality is a bit bad
Attached Thumbnails
Carpet Change Query-picture-061.jpg  

Carpet Change Query-picture-063.jpg  

ryan_wheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 01:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_wheelz View Post
when i had inquired a year back it cost some 4k - 5k to install a new carpet in my OHC.
That is right. Deepak, it is quite simple really and very inexpensive too, to get a brand new carpet made out for your car. If you are finicky about getting 'Original', then you have to shell out what Merc wants you to. It is really a good idea to change the carpet after 15 years or so 'cos that will take out a lot of the old and stale smell and give you a fresh smell and feel of the car.
Old 21st September 2012, 16:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

What makes you think the OEM carpets will cost a bomb?

2 years back my Baleno was submerged in water (rather water came into the car while driving through water filled streets of Bangalore).

When i gave it for blow drying, somehow the carpets weren't dried completely and after few weeks they emitted foul smell.

Thats when i decided to change them with original Baleno carpets and they cost me about 2.5K overall.

Unless you are doing it for fun (i.e. color change, which BTW no-one from outside can see), or they are so dirty they they warrant replacement.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2012, 16:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
Did quite a bit of search on whether there are any suppliers for custom carpets however in vain

What i am after is changing the carpets; the entire lot not just the foot mat of my W124 E220

With age it is looking not so great; and the color is not of my choice

What i am after is someone who can get my carpets in the car redone

Anyway been on this route

PS: OEM is not available and if they are will cost me a bomb
Dear Deepak,

How feasible would it be to replace from a scrapped w124 ?
In such case, one can search for it. Don't think carpet would have much demand in the market and hence should come really cheap
I guess the imported w124s have a different carpet colour(beige)

OT: can't PM you, please keep 5 lug nuts for me
Old 21st September 2012, 17:37   #8
BHPian

Checked around for junked out W124; however all carpets were torn

Even if i get old ones; i will have to go through the pain of dying it to the colori want, i have never dyed so not sure of the result

The W124 carpet if i get new from outside india would be 500-750 USD landed, which is clearly not worth it. 4-5K like the one ryan mentioned is what i will jump into.

any contact detail on this dealer??
Old 21st September 2012, 17:44   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepakMenon View Post
Checked around for junked out W124; however all carpets were torn

Even if i get old ones; i will have to go through the pain of dying it to the colori want, i have never dyed so not sure of the result

The W124 carpet if i get new from outside india would be 500-750 USD landed, which is clearly not worth it. 4-5K like the one ryan mentioned is what i will jump into.

any contact detail on this dealer??
http://www.orchiscarseatcovers.com/
Orchis
E-33, Bldg. no. 1,
Kailash Vaibhav Complex,
Near Hiranandani Hospital,
Park Site, Vikhroli (W),
Mumbai
Cell: 9870203580
Old 30th September 2012, 22:56   #10
BHPian

Probably not what you are looking for, but 3M has a pretty nice solution - custom fitted carpetting that costs around 225 per sq foot (for my Endy, I needed 40 sq ft). Looks good, comes in black, grey and beige, traps and hides dust, easy to wash/clean, and fits very well. Might want to check it out.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2905243
Old 1st October 2012, 12:27   #11
BHPian

Is there such a way to waterproof a car's floor during monsoon?
Old 1st October 2012, 15:00   #12
Pal
BHPian

Deepak,

Just a word of caution - when removing the carpet (pressuming to be old), ensure no electronic cables are ripped off.

Two- when re fitting carpet, ensure all wiring cables are 'secured' in its place, i.e. placed in slots/plastic lugs/ clips with bolts in routed slots. Otherwise, there is a chance the wiring may be carelessly spread down and led to cutting/discontinuity (e.g under feet placement area; driveshaft tunnel sides)

Also- since you are removing the carpets - get a floor antirust done - will save your precious German acquisition from aamchi Mumbai perspiration!
Old 1st October 2012, 19:44   #13
BHPian

Sure thing Pal; the overall carpet change would have the following work done

1. Anti Rust of somekind; though it is not rusted a bit last i checked
2. Sound proofing as the OEM sound proofing is crumbling

Though i am not just intrested in only using dynamat, along with it i am looking for closed ended foam and the cotton mats that OEM used; a combination of all three

Will keep you guys posted
Old 1st October 2012, 23:38   #14
BHPian

Replacing carpets is not a complicated job. A good bodyshop can do it,specially ones that specialize in rebuilding accident vehicles or bus body Fabricators.find the material you like,look around, ask a carpet guy,guys who floor studios and build soundproof rooms for home theatre installs or audition rooms for audio equipment auditions ..

You'll find all sorts of material fit for the purpose ..
Old 2nd October 2012, 15:12   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
Replacing carpets is not a complicated job. A good bodyshop can do it,specially ones that specialize in rebuilding accident vehicles or bus body Fabricators.find the material you like,look around, ask a carpet guy,guys who floor studios and build soundproof rooms for home theatre installs or audition rooms for audio equipment auditions ..

You'll find all sorts of material fit for the purpose ..
The issue is not whether it is a easy job or not; the issue is everytime i give my car of anything regarding interiors, tabs get broken, fitment issues

For some reason our local mech do not value such things; so i am thinking of a DIY after sourcing all that i want

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks