Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 26th April 2006, 18:39   #1

Gypsy+Diesel engine project, The Gurus plz help

Hi,
i am a new member and want the help of the big brothers. i am planning to buy a 2nd hand petrol gypsy and fit it with a isuzu 4FG1 turbo engine . i want to retain the 4x4 aswell but am told that i need to fit the isuzu 4x4 gear box and kit to achieve that. am in a lot of trouble. i am very passionate about the gypsy and want only diesel. i am in delhi s please help me regards this.
Old 26th April 2006, 21:16   #2
Senior - BHPian

That is correct info, youll need to mate the engine to a 4x4 isuzu gearbox the present gypsy box wont match with it.

Arush
Old 26th April 2006, 21:24   #3

Arush if u remember it was me who mailed you regarding the K7N filter and performance exhaust the other day. i would be delighted if u can share some more info with me regards who can help me with such a modification in delhi?
Old 27th April 2006, 14:05   #4
BHPian

I would suggest u do not change to a diesel engine. Wit the changed diesel engine u can have lots of problems with the RTO. My cousin had to revert back to original petrol engine. If u have bought a car which is already moded than its okay.Its diff to switcg [etrol to disel. Atleast here in mumbai they are strict. Even if u change it on the RTO book still u can get into trouble.
What u can do is that pull out the gypsy engine and try and fit Isuzu petrol or Esteem engine works well and try and put in a LPG. with proper gas tuning at 14 press, the engine goes great. And also transformimg to maruti u wont have to lose the 4X4.
And if u do a disel you would have to maintain the car real hard dude.
Hope i was helpful

Last edited by lodhra : 27th April 2006 at 14:07.
Old 27th April 2006, 14:27   #5

On the last Update, I see a statment about the LPG "proper 14 press", what it means. Am using a Santro. Can I put LPG. Whether it is worthwhile going on long run (mean I might hold the car for next two years)

Guide me
Old 27th April 2006, 18:36   #6

Lodhra man i dont know i have seen a lot of such contraptions running with absloutely no problem and performing better than the petrol ones and since it will stay a 4x4 i dont think i have nything to loose, the only issue being that i will hv 2 depend on the mechs if anything goes wrong unlike a warranty that maruti would give me. mine will be a multi vendor machine with no one being accountable. thats why i need advice from all the big guys here.

Last edited by Regret : 27th April 2006 at 18:38.
Old 28th April 2006, 09:10   #7

You r right there bud, have even seen a gypsy fitted with matadore engine. But as you might already know, you can not get it registered in delhi. I am also planing to do the same, trying to get an army disposal Gypsy King from north east. Just wanted to know, is there any better option then isuzu 4FG1 turbo engine and how much is the engine costing you.
Old 28th April 2006, 11:45   #8
Team-BHP Support

As far as technical aspects are concerned, you will find lots of people doing such mods in punjab. But you can forget about driving your gypsy in Delhi.
1. You will need an Euro III engine
2. RTO hassles are very very difficult
3. Delhi traffic cops are always on lookout for such vehicles to make money
4. Unless you drive more than 80Kms/day the cost of the mod wont really justify

So if your gypsy is Haryana or Punjab or UP registered, get the mod done and get RTO changes done there itself as the rules are very flexible. If Delhi registered, forget about it and enjoy your petrol gypsy.

PS: We faced the same dilemma. The running went upto 100kms/day so wanted a diesel. But due to the hassles sold of the gypsy :( and bought an indica first generation. And this was in Punjab, where the hassles were not so much, but still quite a bit.
Old 28th April 2006, 16:30   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Get the mods done if you have all the free time in this world as you will have to run to different mechanics and you will spend a lot of time finding spares.
Old 5th August 2006, 10:13   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

I agree that in delhi the RTO will be a real pain..
Old 5th August 2006, 10:46   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I would never recommend changing the stock engine to an after-market modified one. The issues and nightmares are just too much to handle. Stick with the stock - There are a lot of other ways to save
Old 5th August 2006, 12:01   #12
BHPian

If you change the engine you will surely have to change the gearbox as well. So i dont think you can retain the gypsy 4x4. Also changing engine is easier said then done. Be prepared for some niggles and problems or better still Maruti might get a D in the gypsy in some time.
Old 7th August 2006, 00:11   #13
BHPian

See bro i told u you would land in trouble. I have altready burnt my fingers so decided to warn you. Secondly the overall weight of the car should not change and fitting diesel on the old gyp does that so infact it would endager someone else if he drives your car. Also by LPG 14 press i meant keeping Lpg flow pressure at 14 mark on pressure gauge. I have gypsy with LPG andf it does great.Plan to put in aesteem engine in it. Anyways enjoy your gypsy.
Old 7th August 2006, 09:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

Try and get a gypsy which is already endorsed with a diesel engine. That would make life a lot easier.
The next I would suggest is to fit a Toyota 1N Turbo engine instead of the Isuzu. This is a 1500 cc engine whic is much more refined and as powerful as the G1. You can mate it to your original gearbox and retain 4WD.
Old 7th August 2006, 15:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I would never recommend changing the stock engine to an after-market modified one. The issues and nightmares are just too much to handle. Stick with the stock - There are a lot of other ways to save
No offence intended.But,with all due respect, is that experience speaking??

Most Viewed