Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2009, 23:46   #151
Senior - BHPian

WHAT?

In delhi I bought a gearlock for 1100 with bill/warranty (5years) - installation free.

Its a <10 min job anyone can do.

I was ofcourse elcheapo and picked up a 5 month old piece but even then the market price was 1200-1250rs (incl installation)! Shouldn't be that much expensive in BLR!
Old 1st July 2009, 01:46   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
Contact Xenos in Wilson garden, or Minda corp. Google for both, you'll get the address/numbers.
If both fail - Black Cat (Pravin Bajaj is the person INR 1200)
Price 1200 - 1500. Installation 200 (apprx).

Is there a need? Now -a- days, yes!
Peace of mind - affirmative.

Anymore questions ?

Yes, What is the need for gear lock when you have ICAT?

Doesn't having either one suffice the purpose?
Old 1st July 2009, 07:38   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
WHAT?

In delhi I bought a gearlock for 1100 with bill/warranty (5years) - installation free.

Its a <10 min job anyone can do.

I was ofcourse elcheapo and picked up a 5 month old piece but even then the market price was 1200-1250rs (incl installation)! Shouldn't be that much expensive in BLR!
Yes installation should be free. But, Black cat did not have any dealership/franchise in BLR. So I had to contact a Xenos fitter who will ofcourse charge me since it was not his company's product. And it was a 45 min job because they had to adjust to the new fixing plate.

And I paid 1200 bucks including taxes and courier charges. I too did receive 5 year warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandkumargb View Post
Yes, What is the need for gear lock when you have ICAT?

Doesn't having either one suffice the purpose?
Actually there is no direct answer to that. All security measures are for guarding belongings and have peace of mind.
There are people who have personal garages where they feel their car will be secure. There are others who want more.
There have been instances reported on this forum where thugs have breached the remote lock features and stolen items ECUs HUs etc.
For me who parks outside, gear lock and steering lock and Autocop is just to buy time (boy I wish I had a rupee for everytime I said that)
Normal physcology of a thief is to do his job quickly and cleanly and get away with his booty fast. Gear lock and steering lock and autocop I think can buy me time.
These are not at all fool proof. What if there are 3 expert theives each having a masters degree for steering gear and autocop. That day I'm done for.
Having said all that, when it is going to happen it is going to happen. If not then it will never happen. In my faith, Allah says, guard your wealth with zakaat (apne maal ki hifaazat zakaat se karo ) i.e. 2.5% of annual savings (not income, after all your needs are fulfilled) should be given to the poor. This is mandatory for every muslim who has a specific level of wealth. So this works for me.

But that certainly does not mean I open all doors of my house and sleep. There is a thin line between faith and foolishness.

Hope this helps.
Old 1st July 2009, 11:48   #154
BHPian

have AutoCop both in the 800 and the Gypsy.

Only problem in the past 2 years has been that the sensitivity of the system was set to a very high setting which was not a good idea in a soft top car! The damn thing kept going off in the middle of the night leading to some mighty pissed off neighbours.

The dealer who fitted it never got back. But AutoCop fellows came home and reduced the sensitivity settings etc. good service overall.
Old 1st July 2009, 13:18   #155
Senior - BHPian

Well said Pervez, after all it is our hard earned money & some more can be invested in physical detarrants and some towards divine intervention.

Quote:
All security measures are for guarding belongings and have peace of mind.
There are people who have personal garages where they feel their car will be secure. There are others who want more.

Last edited by m_upreti : 1st July 2009 at 13:20.
Old 12th July 2009, 18:48   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have an Autocop. Does the job. Only thing is, when kids come to know about the beep it makes when you touch some hot spots on the car, they tend to do it more and more. That irritates me to the core.
Apart from this I also have a Black Cat gear lock, a steering lock (dunno the brand but it is red in color ). Cobra pepper spray and a rounded up pulsar chain that fits my fist in the glove comparment, but that is just in case and for the highway.
Looking out for Wheel locks/nuts.
Am I missing something here ?
Hi all, following this post, I managed to gather all in one pic.
Looks nutty, but, did someone say, peace of Mind??!!
And yes, thats just a keychain around my fist!
That round thing next to the spray is a car perfume container, with a little compass on top which tells me where is west direction, in case I have to get down and pray on my own on the highway or some shed.
Attached Thumbnails
Your car's security system's brand & your opinions about it-image1907.jpg  

Your car's security system's brand & your opinions about it-image1915.jpg  

prince_pervez is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2009, 21:03   #157
gpa
Senior - BHPian

How much did the pepper spray cost you? I remember seeing this same can in SPAR but did not buy it.
Old 12th July 2009, 22:38   #158
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
How much did the pepper spray cost you? I remember seeing this same can in SPAR but did not buy it.
INR 499.00, and yes I got it from SPAR.
Old 13th July 2009, 14:08   #159
BHPian

@prince_pervez: I see a big key inside your clenched fist. Does it have any purpose in the general scheme of things as well ?

What is the price of the steering lock that also pulls up the brake pedal ?
I think that will also double up as a weapon.
Old 13th July 2009, 16:38   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
@prince_pervez: I see a big key inside your clenched fist. Does it have any purpose in the general scheme of things as well ?

What is the price of the steering lock that also pulls up the brake pedal ?
I think that will also double up as a weapon.
Yeah man! The size of keys in this part of the country still gets me!
I don't remember the exact cost of the steering lock but it is was pretty attractive. About 350 bucks. Supposed to be made of some compostion/alloy of hardened steel and blah blah, in case someone were to gas/cut it out.
About all the ammo, even if you have a bazoooooka with you, one should have a steady calm head and nerves to use them properly. Else the other side wins the game. I repeat thats just a keychain (don't want to be infracted for this). The steering lock splits into two and you can give the other half to your passenger.

Disclaimer: This is just for emergency life/property threatening situations.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 13th July 2009 at 16:40. Reason: Added Disclaimer
Old 13th July 2009, 16:48   #161
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowler View Post
the steering lock that also pulls up the brake pedal ? I think that will also double up as a weapon.
LOL, would be unwieldy to use as a weapon!
Old 13th July 2009, 17:10   #162
Senior - BHPian

Lots of Peace of Mind for you friend.

Jokes apart, the physical detarrants like the gear & steering locks are better since a normal thief would not like spend time trying to cut through the toughened metal. These coupled with the electronic devices sure foil a lot of thefts.

Quote:
Hi all, following this post, I managed to gather all in one pic. Looks nutty, but, did someone say, peace of Mind??!!
And yes, thats just a keychain around my fist! That round thing next to the spray is a car perfume container, with a little compass on top which tells me where is west direction, in case I have to get down and pray on my own on the highway or some shed.

Last edited by m_upreti : 13th July 2009 at 17:12.
Old 14th July 2009, 14:57   #163
BHPian

All right prince_pervez - Got to hand it to you - you think of all possible things judging from the inside shot of your car. You have added some steel sheets to reinforce the front and back too ?

Your real name is Bond - James Bond ?

@gpa: Hardened Steel rod can come in handy when faced with cantankerous animals. I have seen a taxi driver in Nilgiris chasing away with a jackey lever, a bunch of monkeys, who suddenly turned aggressive when a passenger taunted them with some fruits. You don't need to hit the animals, you have to hit the road and make enough noise to scare them away.

Last edited by Prowler : 14th July 2009 at 15:03. Reason: Added extra content
Old 31st July 2009, 11:59   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_upreti View Post
Lots of Peace of Mind for you friend.

Jokes apart, the physical detarrants like the gear & steering locks are better since a normal thief would not like spend time trying to cut through the toughened metal. These coupled with the electronic devices sure foil a lot of thefts.
Keeping in mind the current crime situation in bigger cities; a well kept car sure attracts a lot of attention and we cannot be near the car after parking the ca. Alos; it might be a wise decision to use as many deterrants as possible to scare away the even the idea of stealing from the mind of a would be thief. Also; the things mentioned if available should be kept in the car for long rides in lonely areas; especially night time with female companions. A lot of incidents have happened where people came out unscathed; but I feel it is better to be prepared than repent later...
Old 31st July 2009, 12:32   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drraj View Post
Keeping in mind the current crime situation in bigger cities; a well kept car sure attracts a lot of attention and we cannot be near the car after parking the ca. Alos; it might be a wise decision to use as many deterrants as possible to scare away the even the idea of stealing from the mind of a would be thief. Also; the things mentioned if available should be kept in the car for long rides in lonely areas; especially night time with female companions. A lot of incidents have happened where people came out unscathed; but I feel it is better to be prepared than repent later...
Well said Doctor saheb! Welcome to the forum too!

Most Viewed