Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2012, 18:58   #16
BHPian

Re: Modifications to make a car "Highway-Friendly"

a few cents in addition to all i have read.... i prefer to drive in night(lesser traffic, pleasant weather, majorly trucks for traffic who mostly stick to lanes)

1. get another set of driving lights for better view in the front
2. spare/portable lights to attend to breakdowns
3. coolant/water
4. ensure tail lights are working(severely neglected in our country)
Old 1st November 2012, 19:34   #17
Senior - BHPian

^^: INstalling a strut brace is not as easy as it seems IMO. A wrongly designed and installed sway bar will infact worsen the situation.

The same goes for sway bars - Suspension is designed in any vehicle, not to be experimented especially on the highway without proper tools for monitoring the results.
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 20:24   #18
Team-BHP Support

Apart from the modifications mentioned, I'd also suggest a good dashboard camera for surveillance purposes. I think you get Go-Pros or some such video recording devices that attach themselves to the rear-view mirror / dashboard. Definitely worth installing if you frequent the highways and unfamiliar roads.
suhaas307 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 23:46   #19
BHPian

Add to GTO's list ...

Those with steel rims and plastic wheel covers - REMOVE IT ! These can pinch the sidewall on rough patches especially when tyre pressure is low. Also, removing wheel covers will allow free flow of air and improve the cooling efficiency of the rim.

Assuming each plastic wheel cover weighs 500 gms, the total weight reduction is 4 kgs. This is the unsprung weight of the car and it multiplies 7 times at higher speeds and adds to the sprung weight of the car. This translates to 28 kg total weight reduction and will result in better milage and shorter stopping distance.

Replace those over-hyped comfort tyres with the older pattern MRFs / JK / Bridgestones. Comfort tyres meaning all those low noise, soft compound (silica), single-ply sidewall tyres. The sidewall of such tyres are supple (better comfort) but bulges easily and are prone to cuts when driving over bad roads / debris / scrapping dividers.

Those who underinflate the tyres for the sake of better handling, grip, comfort or whatever are risking their own and other people's lives. Lower than recommonded tyre pressure means more room for the air molecules to move around and collide with other air molecules, thus generating more heat. A heated under-inflated tyre especially on concrete roads is a disaster waiting to happen !!

A foot pump or a 12 volt inflator compressor is a must have. Many people think that having a punchur repair kit is enough but in reality even the professionals are not able to easily locate the punchur hole. Often it is found only after immersing the wheel in water. Even those who are lucky enough to find and plug the punchur, will need a pump to inflate the tyres. If the leak is minor then we can top-up and continue the journey till we find a well equipped tyre shop.

Always carry spare valve, spare valve pin, a tube (for tubeless tyres), 5/10/20 amp fuses, Printout of emergency contacts tucked above the visor, photo-copy of your ID and address proof. The last one is needed in case of police related issues.

Buy this. It allows you to work alone hands-free. Cost approx. 150/- rupees. I have one in each car and one at home.
Name:  head_mount_torch.bmp
Views: 4250
Size:  54.8 KB
Chewbacca is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 00:05   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca
Add to GTO's list ...

Those with steel rims and plastic wheel covers - REMOVE IT ! These can pinch the sidewall on rough patches especially when tyre pressure is low. Also, removing wheel covers will allow free flow of air and improve the cooling efficiency of the rim.

Assuming each plastic wheel cover weighs 500 gms, the total weight reduction is 4 kgs.
2 kgs, and I do not think that wheel covers pose any dangers unless they fall off.
DRIV3R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 00:40   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
2 kgs, and I do not think that wheel covers pose any dangers unless they fall off.
Thanks for pointing out my mistake. It is 2 kg x 7 = 14 kg (weight reduction)

Wheel covers don't pose any dangers when driving in the city, but here we are making the car highway friendly.

http://www.besttyres.com/?p=183

http://www.driversdomainuk.com/advan...s/emergencies/
(read the Blow-outs section)

Last edited by Chewbacca : 2nd November 2012 at 01:02.
Old 2nd November 2012, 00:53   #22
Senior - BHPian

Carry a pair of jumper leads and nylon rope for getting toed. Also a jerrycan for fuel in case of emergency. So too some grub and adequate drinking water.

Last edited by rajeev k : 2nd November 2012 at 00:54.
Old 2nd November 2012, 02:01   #23
BHPian

Even when its dry, Good wipers and a full tank of clean water for the washer jets, i prefer mixing some head and shoulders with the water.
I would've liked the old merc and beemer styled headlamp wash and wipe.
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:57   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post

Buy this. It allows you to work alone hands-free. Cost approx. 150/- rupees. I have one in each car and one at home.
Attachment 1008901
Can you please give me details on where you got this, and is it available online? Rs 150 is a sweet cost.
Old 2nd November 2012, 14:29   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
3. Get good quality sun films. Pays off big time.
Not an option any longer I guess. Removed my sunfilm (premium, very light ones, installed primarily for heat deflection and not reduced visibility) recently due to the sudden crack down by cops in Mumbai and really felt their absence on a drive to Lavasa.
Old 2nd November 2012, 23:19   #26
Senior - BHPian

In case of a car with carrier, ensure that lightest of the stuff is on top.
Also try to cover the cargo and try to keep it streamlined to avoid drag.

Install a SUMP GUARD
Old 3rd November 2012, 11:18   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post

Install a SUMP GUARD
What be the benefit of a sump guard on the highway? I was given to understand it benefits off roaders only. Could you please link to some models online for Indian Cars?

Quote:
Add to GTO's list ...

Always carry spare valve, spare valve pin, a tube (for tubeless tyres), 5/10/20 amp fuses...

Attachment 1008901
Is there a standard set of fuses we can buy from any shop and keep? or are these specific to car manufacturer/ models? Please guide, I am planning a long drive soon. Also, do share information on where we can buy the above in India. I was able to find only chinese websites (DX.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Apart from the modifications mentioned, I'd also suggest a good dashboard camera for surveillance purposes. I think you get Go-Pros or some such video recording devices that attach themselves to the rear-view mirror / dashboard. Definitely worth installing if you frequent the highways and unfamiliar roads.
Hi Suhaas307, are these cameras legal in India? I have tried fitting my standard digicam once using a windscreen mount in Mumbai, got pulled over to 'explain' what it was and why I was recording a video of the road. Had to take it down and pack it up. Apparently, it is a combination issue of threats and permits needed. Can you provide your views on this?
Old 3rd November 2012, 11:34   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Go-pro is a good action camera but its battery last hardly 2hrs. The video file size is also huge. This is not good if you intend to use it for surveillance purpose.
Old 3rd November 2012, 12:00   #29
BHPian

I wouldn't suggest more powerful head lamps as they tend to melt the reflectors after a period of time.
I would suggest getting a set of Bi Xenon projectors and running Phillips 85122+ bulbs [apparently they are the best] & ballast combo.

As for the rest, get good damping [Wheel wells, firewall, doors, boot & underbody]
Get a fairly decent ICE, it should be loud enough so that you can enjoy the music with your windows down when you are cruising.
Remove any free flow exhaust / aftermarket muffler.. they get irritating.
Get a fridge in the car
and try to get a cell phone active signal booster. that will be really helpful when there are weak / dodgy signals. [don't know where you can get one from.]
And put some sunfilm on your OVRM's that should prevent too much glare from retard high beam drivers. [If possible get SPD film, you can adjust the VLT electronically]
Old 3rd November 2012, 12:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

Another thing to include in your kitty - A tow strap/rope.

Agree with your points mostly except...

Quote:
Replace those over-hyped comfort tyres with the older pattern MRFs / JK / Bridgestones. Comfort tyres meaning all those low noise, soft compound (silica), single-ply sidewall tyres. The sidewall of such tyres are supple (better comfort) but bulges easily and are prone to cuts when driving over bad roads / debris / scrapping dividers.
I don't agree with replacing comfort tyres with older patterns tyres for highway usage. Newer designed tyres are generally much safer for high speed highway usage (provided proper inflation pressures are adhered to) and in the rains too. For constant bad road usage maybe the older tyres are better.

Quote:
Those who underinflate the tyres for the sake of better handling, grip, comfort or whatever are risking their own and other people's lives. Lower than recommonded tyre pressure means more room for the air molecules to move around and collide with other air molecules, thus generating more heat. A heated under-inflated tyre especially on concrete roads is a disaster waiting to happen !!
Couldn't agree more with this. Low pressure on highways is strictly a no-no. The actual reason for higher tyre temperatures with lower pressure is sidewall flex. And an underinflated tyre will be more susceptible to damages when hitting potholes and other debris.

Most Viewed