Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2006, 10:39   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Amusing writeup, Samurai. Do keep in mind that the psychological gains from airfilters and freeflows are sometimes more than the actual (due to the noise).

GTO
Old 4th May 2006, 10:54   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
Amusing writeup, Samurai. Do keep in mind that the psychological gains from airfilters and freeflows are sometimes more than the actual (due to the noise).
Thanks GTO, I was aware of that since I have read that other thread about K&N and Placebo effect. Therefore, I didn't tell my father-in-law about the filter until after he was left speechless. BTW, today he took the Santro to work leaving the Fiesta behind.
Old 4th May 2006, 10:58   #18
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit
Looks neat! Who did the install?
OZZ ONE ENTERPRISES, Bangalore, 080-25202332
Old 4th May 2006, 11:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

hey samurai ...u got superb FE ...i have also used the same k7n filter for about 1.5 years before changing to the stock replacement ...i was not at all happy with it ,as the performance used to drop due to engine heat and in teh afternoons ...also during rains ,water can splash onto it and this can cause water to be sucked into the engine ...so during rains you have to remove it ...or else you can use k&n pre-charger which is a cover like thing on the filter ...also you have to be carfeul when washing the car ....for daily commuting i found teh stock replacement filter to be much better than the universal one
Old 4th May 2006, 11:34   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedsatya
..also during rains ,water can splash onto it and this can cause water to be sucked into the engine ...so during rains you have to remove it ...or else you can use k&n pre-charger which is a cover like thing on the filter
Good tip, since I am at the coast now I have to watch out for monsoon rains. Where do you get this K&N pre-charger?
Old 4th May 2006, 11:58   #21
Team-BHP Support

You will get performance gains from K&N. The reason lesser resistance to air intake. But this has a side effect. This filter will block less dirt. So If you are driving in dusty conditions, this is not so good for the engine. So be careful!
Old 4th May 2006, 12:03   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
You will get performance gains from K&N. The reason lesser resistance to air intake. But this has a side effect. This filter will block less dirt. So If you are driving in dusty conditions, this is not so good for the engine. So be careful!
Dont you think that these filters have the technology to allow more air and filter out dust at the same time....
Old 4th May 2006, 12:06   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai
Good tip, since I am at the coast now I have to watch out for monsoon rains. Where do you get this K&N pre-charger?

since i had mine in 2001 when k&n wasnt here officially i wasnt able to find a pre-charger ...infact the guy from whom i got it fitted told me that it wouldnt be problem even if water splashed onto it ...so i wrote to k&n who replied saying that" a wet filter can cause a blown engine ....so its advisable to get something called as a "pre-charger" which will protect the filter "...and our local dealer hadnt even heard of something called a "pre-charger" ...so i couldnt find one nor could i order any from outside india as i did not have the model number for the filter ...as a result i was forced to go back to the OE filter during rains .....

now that k&n is here officially ,maybe you can find one ...or write to k&n ..
Old 4th May 2006, 12:08   #24
Team-BHP Support

To a limited extent. In the end its physics. What blocks more dust will block air too.
If you look at the test results in the K&N myths and realities thread, you'l know what I mean. Large dust particles are not an issue, its the fine dust that is in the air during a Haze thats the issue.
Old 5th May 2006, 01:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

Samurai, having just come back from the Sakleshpur ghat section, I don't see how you were confidently tailing an Octavia in an automatic Santro, without using the brakes. You didn't even have the advantage of engine braking.

Drive safe, mate. Cars in India don't come with the American safety standards that you are used to.
Old 5th May 2006, 01:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
Samurai, having just come back from the Sakleshpur ghat section, I don't see how you were confidently tailing an Octavia in an automatic Santro, without using the brakes. You didn't even have the advantage of engine braking.

Drive safe, mate. Cars in India don't come with the American safety standards that you are used to.
Hey, I told Samurai that he has become aggressive driver after staying in company of you guys, but he won't agree (Alright, Just kidding, no offence meant).
Old 5th May 2006, 02:02   #27
Senior - BHPian

OT: Brother, I don't know what impression you get of us as drivers, but let me assure you that very rarely do I cross 1500 rpm. My biggest kick comes from seeing the mileage my car gives me. The only times I approach the redline are during track events, or drags/testing.
Old 5th May 2006, 10:27   #28
Team-BHP Support

Oh brother!

Guys, I never crossed 120Kmph during the entire journey, safe enough for you?

Quote:
Samurai, having just come back from the Sakleshpur ghat section, I don't see how you were confidently tailing an Octavia in an automatic Santro, without using the brakes.
Please note the following part of my report:

Quote:
The stretch also includes a long ghat section (sakleshpura ghat) with lots of hairpin curves where the speed will stay between 20-60Kms, else you will be toast.
Which means I stayed within 20-60 on the ghats. The encounter with Skoda happened after Nelyadi, after the ghat section ended. Read the following:
Quote:
He tried tearing away, but the driver was not skilled enough to do it in the winding road between Nelyadi and Uppinangadi. He was doing between 80-100Kms on the nice twisting roads after the ghats, and I was able to keep up all the away.
Quote:
You didn't even have the advantage of engine braking.
Actually I did. I set the gear-shift at 2 during most of the ghat section since I didn't want to heat up the brake pads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Hey, I told Samurai that he has become aggressive driver after staying in company of you guys, but he won't agree (Alright, Just kidding, no offence meant).
As you see v1p3r didn't read my report right. Now, I can't prove I was aggressive before I joined T-BHP unless you speak to my family or US relatives or friends, so I'll drop it.
Old 5th May 2006, 12:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

V1p3r, there you are who seldom cross 1500rpm, and then there is an old man who likes to hear squealing Vitara tyres on twisties.

Samurai, please don't take it seriously It is just that, I always thought you are pretty much sober driver.
Old 5th May 2006, 13:09   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Samurai, please don't take it seriously It is just that, I always thought you are pretty much sober driver.
No, I am not taking it seriously, just setting the record straight. According to www.familycar.com, there are 3 types of good drivers. I believe my driving matches the Sporty style category perfectly. Click on the links for the source page.

The Conservative Approach
The Sporty Style
The Fast-Lane Perspective

Most Viewed