Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2006, 10:40   #16
BHPian

some example test result http://www.bestsynthetic.com/mobil1.shtml
http://www.f-body.org/oldfaq/html/tech/sect2.html

Last edited by Kinetik : 7th May 2006 at 10:49.
Old 7th May 2006, 10:42   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetik
1) there was a chemical analysis done on all engine oils .. mobil1 turned out be on par with semi-synth oils,,,
2) mercedes all over the world especially the wdb211 were facing this problem of cam wear as early as 30,000 kms the reason mobil 1.. u could infact ask for instance autohangar or taipan ...which oil they were earlier using and which oil they are using now.. ..

but the best test lies with u .. use mobil 1 .. run the car for around 10,000 kms and then switch to OWS, shell helix ultra or petrocanada and see the diff for urself..
No one in the right mind would/should use synthetic oil for anything over 10000 kms...even with some of the best oil coolers and filters...no wonder these guys are getting such silly results...(check on these oil containers...they would say the same....)
Old 7th May 2006, 14:17   #18
Senior - BHPian

All very confusing.... I dont know what to believe...

MOst opf the websites rated Mobil 1 ahead of Shell and Castrol...

Here is a reproduction,,, says Shell is BAd...

Viscosity Test

FFR first subjected the oils to a test of viscosity retention. "Note," writes FFR , "that being such a short test it was felt that none of the oils would lose any of its viscosity rating, and indeed six oils suffered an inconsequential loss of less than one percent." The other five, Torco MPZ , Shell Helix Ultra , Shell Helix Plus , Hi-Tec HTO and Castrol R suffered significant viscosity losses .
Amsoil Series 2000 Synthetic 20W-50 Racing Oil
NO VISCOSITY LOSS REPORTED
Oil Product
Viscosity Loss
Type
Test #
Torco MPZ
18%
Synthetic
5 & 6
Shell Helix Ultra
14%
Synthetic
Hi-Tec HTO
8%
Synthetic
Castrol R
6%
Synthetic

FFR points out that the loss of viscosity suffered by the five oils was very rapid. "Under normal conditions it's suggested oil which loses viscosity this quickly would be subject to significant losses over 5000 mi. [8045 km]. Indeed, one would be suspect of the potential for increased wear over this period."

Source... http://www.allamerican-synthetics.co...vs_mobil1.html

And another...
http://www.smartsynthetics.com/artic...il_testing.htm ...

Last edited by kb100 : 7th May 2006 at 14:21.
Old 7th May 2006, 14:24   #19
BHPian

lol it is very confusing.. actually speaking all engine oils are more than enuff for normal driving.. after that it depends on personal choices... Mobil1 i dont know why, overcharges a lot for the quality of the product, thats it.. its good no doubt but not for the price.. Motul , OWS ..Petrocanada, Shell Ultra are all very good oils.... u get your moneys worth out of them and better performance too.
Old 7th May 2006, 15:51   #20
Senior - BHPian

I got Mobil 1 @ 550/litre...Shell helix Ultra was at the same price - hence I prefered the Mobil..

My engine became visibly smooth!! - I have a diesel - Accent CRDi - so when I say VISIBLY I means LOTS!!

YOu are right about he prices though... after all they rule the Fortune 500 listings!!

Last edited by kb100 : 7th May 2006 at 15:54.
Old 20th September 2007, 12:01   #21
BHPian

my esteem has done 60K, plannin to go for 5w-50 mobil1 synthetic...
any issues.. ?
im concerned if there'll be some oil leaks, or would mobil1 clean high mileage be a good option?
another Q is whether there is 5w-50 for high mileage mobil 1?
Old 20th September 2007, 15:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Joe, Come here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...neral-oil.html
Old 20th September 2007, 17:47   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_mclaren View Post
my esteem has done 60K, plannin to go for 5w-50 mobil1 synthetic...
any issues.. ?
im concerned if there'll be some oil leaks, or would mobil1 clean high mileage be a good option?
another Q is whether there is 5w-50 for high mileage mobil 1?

make sure you do full engine decarb and injector cleaning before you switch to mobil1 5w50 api sm ...plus radiator flush....... also put in a k&n oil filter ...plus change your fuel filter after the decarb.... go for bosch....purolator is crap pure crap

actually i say 1st sonax s fuel system clean additive ...run that full tank dry....then decarb etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by imjimmy View Post
Which is this additive? I am using IFtex -G is that good.

How are you supposed to put these things..at every tank full?

Asking for the Baleno and the Swift.

for "magical results" no matter what car from a maruti 800 onwards i can say only MOBIL 1 .... i run the 5w50 but i am a hard driver..... mobil 1 says NO ADDITIVES at all!!
put in a k&n oil filter tooo

mobil 1 5w50 new api sm rs 2700
k&n oil filter 800 rs
these are the best prices i get in mumbai for original stuff

unless you use real cheap oil.. oil additives are bad for your engine.... if you must use an additive use sonax 's ... TUV approved i believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by F50 View Post
No just say Castrol GTX Magnatec .. you will need 4 lt can (700-800 grey in color) and it is advisable that you also change the Oil pump which will cost 120 bucks.
Voila much smoother Santro.

change oil pump?????? rs 120
what is that
i have a swift do i need to change my oil pump??dont know wat ur talking about could you explain please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetik View Post
mobil 1 sucks dont use it plz

please elaborate
i use mobil 1 5w50 api sm

definately dont think "it sucks"

Mod's Note: Please do not make a separate post for each reply. Make them all in one single post. Use the Multi-Quote option. Posts merged.
Old 13th September 2009, 13:02   #24
Senior - BHPian

Engine Oil and gear Oil change for 800

Hi guys,
Needed some info on oil changes.My 97' M800 will be in due for a oil change soon.Now my last oil change was done with Mak Supreme by the service station.
Now the perfomance of this oil is average at best and i found that after the change the car felt as usual as before ie there was no smoothness that is usually observed immediately after a oil change.

I am thinking of switching back to the shell Helix Super (mineral) oil again.
What i wanted to know is whether i should flush the engine as both are mineral oils? or i can go ahead with the change without expecting any sort of engine trouble.Also does anyone know what brand of gear oil i can use for my 800?

thanks
Old 13th September 2009, 13:34   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi guys,
Needed some info on oil changes.My 97' M800 will be in due for a oil change soon.Now my last oil change was done with Mak Supreme by the service station.
Now the perfomance of this oil is average at best and i found that after the change the car felt as usual as before ie there was no smoothness that is usually observed immediately after a oil change.

I am thinking of switching back to the shell Helix Super (mineral) oil again.
What i wanted to know is whether i should flush the engine as both are mineral oils? or i can go ahead with the change without expecting any sort of engine trouble.Also does anyone know what brand of gear oil i can use for my 800?

thanks
MAK is a generic mineral oil but is cost effective. I think it is API SF which is a prehistoric grade by today's standards. Shell will definitely make a difference. Read about Gansan's experiences with Shell Helix on the synth v/s mineral thread on TBHP.

You can use Shell Helix 20W-50 or Shell Helix Super 15W-40. Before selecting, please check the manual for a chart/table depicting the recommended grade for a particular ambient temp. You do not need to flush when changing from one brand of mineral oil to the other especially if you change engine oil regularly.

Rgds,
Old 13th September 2009, 14:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Just wanted to post a clarification regarding a few posts mentioning something called "Castrol GTX Magnatec".

There's nothing called "Castrol GTX Magnatec"; at least not on the Castrol India website (Engine Oil).

Castrol GTX and Castrol Magnatec are 2 different engine oils. The former conforms to 20W-50, API-SL while the latter conforms to 10W-40, API-SM. I've just bought a 4 litre can of Castrol Magnatec, and it cost me Rs.1120/- in Pune. Will post feedback about how my Palio 1.6 behaves after the oil change in the Synthetic Vs Mineral Oil thread.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 13th September 2009 at 14:18.
Old 13th September 2009, 20:13   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Just wanted to post a clarification regarding a few posts mentioning something called "Castrol GTX Magnatec".

There's nothing called "Castrol GTX Magnatec"; at least not on the Castrol India website (Engine Oil).

Castrol GTX and Castrol Magnatec are 2 different engine oils. The former conforms to 20W-50, API-SL while the latter conforms to 10W-40, API-SM. I've just bought a 4 litre can of Castrol Magnatec, and it cost me Rs.1120/- in Pune. Will post feedback about how my Palio 1.6 behaves after the oil change in the Synthetic Vs Mineral Oil thread.

Cheers,
Vikram
GTX is a heavier oil as you have correctly pointed out and meant for slightly older engines (technology wise) or those with high mileage.

Magnatec is the best oil you can get at that price. Used it in various family cars since 1997 including Esteems and my Dad's Palio 1.6 GTX. It is a so called semi synth and positioned between good quality mineral and synthetic from the price point of view.

Rgds,
Old 14th September 2009, 00:02   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
MAK is a generic mineral oil but is cost effective. I think it is API SF which is a prehistoric grade by today's standards. Shell will definitely make a difference. Read about Gansan's experiences with Shell Helix on the synth v/s mineral thread on TBHP.
Nopes... MAK has at least 3 variants (car engine oils), as far as I remember. The highest grade, again as far as I can recall, is of the highest or next to highest API grade. No idea how they perform compared to the competition - have never used them.
Old 14th September 2009, 21:25   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Nopes... MAK has at least 3 variants (car engine oils), as far as I remember. The highest grade, again as far as I can recall, is of the highest or next to highest API grade. No idea how they perform compared to the competition - have never used them.
You're right Raccoon. BP sure has moved on. MAK has 3 flavours..the more advanced called Mak Supreme is 10W-30 API SM (pleasant surprise!) ...though a majority of Indian cars under our hot tropical weather wont take this viscosity. Some modern engines do, but definitely not a M800.

The other 2 are MAK classic 20W-50 API SG and Mak Elite 15W-40 API SJ. I think sumeet's M800 must have had fills of the Classic at the MASS.

Regards,

EDIT - Have not used MAK lubes either

Last edited by R2D2 : 14th September 2009 at 21:29. Reason: PS
Old 15th September 2009, 00:52   #30
BHPian

???

Help Needed!!

When I went for The First Service of My Maruti SX4 I asked the service adviser which engine oil would they put as I was expecting Idemitsu (read somewhere on Team-BHP) but to my surprise he said Mobil1 Fully Synthetic Grade: 0w-40. I questioned this, to which he replied that this is what Maruti recommends and it is because of the fully synthetic oil that the service intervals from the 3rd service onwards are for 10,000kms or 1 year (whichever is earlier). This sounded like a reasonable explanation. So I went ahead with it but it made my 1st FREE Service Quite Expensive. I ended up spending almost 7k thanks to the Mobil1 Fully-Synthetic and the under-body anti-rust coat.

After the advice of a few fellow BHPians I came to the conclusion that I had been Duped.

So I called up the service advisor at Rana Motors to find out about the oil. He now very politely states that the minimum required oil for the SX4 and GV as per Maruti is Mobil-1 semi-synthetic. But for best results Maruti recommends the use of Mobil-1 fully synthetic.

To confirm this I called up another dealership in the vicinity by the name of JR Automobiles & to my surprise they also said the same thing, but being the inquisitive self that I am I called up another dealer: Apra. This one now claims that Maruti recommends Mobil-1 semi-synthetic and upon further enquiry about Mobil-1 fully-synthetic, I find out that the chap has absolutely no idea about it.

Now the Problem / Dilemma / Heart-Ache

My car vibrates at Idle (With & Without A/C) around the 600-800 rpm mark i.e. when the engine is warmed up. Also the tachometer needle flickers quite a bit at times, whenever the fan starts or switches off.

Is the synthetic oil the reason for this or is it something else?? If not then will it damage my engine or hamper in the run-in process if I use Mobil1 (Fully Synthetic) from the 1st service??
If the need be I am willing to get an additional oil change done and go back to Idemitsu or whatever oil that would stop the vibrataions ??

Guys I am very as the car is just 2 months old and close to 2800kms on the clock?? I would really appreciate if someone could through light on this.

Last edited by maglev : 15th September 2009 at 00:55.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks