Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2006, 12:46   #16
BHPian

i heard viper has an evo engine for sale..

~cheers
-Ash
Old 6th May 2006, 23:04   #17
BHPian

Thanks a lot guys will PM ya if i need anything.... Viper ill contact ya soon!! tell me what more can i do with it ppl!!
Old 1st June 2006, 19:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

how does the Turbo charger as well as Supercharger work..Chetan ..any info on the Lancia Engine??
Old 2nd June 2006, 11:35   #19
BHPian

Correct me if i'm wrong but I think the combination of a supercharger and a turbo charger is called a superturbo(?)
And headers, the supercharger is basically used to overcome that annoying turbo lag, i.e., the period until the turbo has sufficiently spooled-up.
Unless I have misinterpreted your question and what you are really asking is about the workings of superchargers and turbochargers. If yes, there is already a thread existing on this topic, so use our forum's infamous search option!

Godspeed.

Alok.

Last edited by ghostrider4385 : 2nd June 2006 at 11:46.
Old 2nd June 2006, 14:53   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetanhanda
What do you mean "get a supercharger in it also" and it will be super fast ? Are you sure what you are talking about? Do you know how complex it is to run a supercharger and a turbo together ? Last time I saw a supercharger and a turbocharger running in a engine was in a Group B rally car by Lancia..I hope you know what Group B rally cars were..
Dont know if there are any manufacturers out there who will even attempt to put both in a car ..thats why you see single,twin or quad turbos ...or single superchargers ...
What are you talking about ?
Chetan what you are saying is absolutely correct after the Lancia there were no attempts to make a super-turbo charged engine. And also the Lancia was only for rallies and the road legal versions of the same were never sold with that engine.

However, the latest update on this is that VW has made a 1.4 liter engine which is both Super & Turbo charged. And I quote from a recent article in EVO magazine:

"A turbocharged engine is an obvious way to go, except that without resorting to clever technology - linked twin turbos, or variable geometry, which remains beyond the reach (in a petrol engine) of anything less than the new Porsche 911 Turbo - the driveability is going to suffer, especially at the bottom end. Volkswagen's answer is to use an engine-driven Roots-type blower to supercharge the input to the turbo. The supercharger output is varied, via a blow-off valve, so its maximum boost can be applied from very low engine speeds without blowing the whole thing apart at 6000rpm. In effect, the supercharger is filling in the lower parts of the desired torque curve that the unassisted turbo could not reach. From around 4000rpm, the turbo - well into its stride - does it all.

The thing is, why has Volkswagen done it? The answer is efficiency. This is a classic downsizing exercise and it pays the classic downsizing bonus: economy. The Golf GT comes with an official fuel consumption of 38.2mpg, while the equivalent VR5-engined car used to deliver 31.7mpg.

If you were simply to drive the car without being told what was under the bonnet, you might guess at a particularly good 16-valve 2-litre. But it isn't; it's a 1.4."

You can find the full article here :
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/driven/...n_golf_gt.html

Only interest for me is that if they could do the same to the 2.0 GTi engine or the 3.2 R32 engine!! Imagine the 3.2 producing around 380-400 bhp instead of the usual 247 bhp and still being light and fuel efficient!! Now wouldn't that be a motor worth having!

Last edited by iraghava : 2nd June 2006 at 14:55.
Old 2nd June 2006, 16:37   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers
how does the Turbo charger as well as Supercharger work..Chetan ..any info on the Lancia Engine??

www.howstuffworks.com .....ur best learning place
Old 2nd June 2006, 17:36   #22
BHPian

Hey ther! Get in touch with Karan Shah (KS Motorsports)
for all ur engine mods.. Contact Carmodernize for Exterior
Mods!!
Just as Wacky has mentioned !!
Old 4th June 2006, 08:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Ghostrider..thanks for your input..Iraghava has given the explanation about the necessity of the supercharger .. The supercharger works off the engine while the turbocharger works off the exhaust..

Also, i do not think it makes sense to sueprcharge as well as turbocharge a car unless there is a predetermined purpose and this has to be from the design stage of the vehicle.

I doubt anybody could just "plonk" a supercharger and a turbocharger into our normal vehicles.. It is not possible..
Old 6th June 2006, 19:03   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie
Hey ther! Get in touch with Karan Shah (KS Motorsports)
for all ur engine mods.. Contact Carmodernize for Exterior
Mods!!
Just as Wacky has mentioned !!
Dunno man havent heard many great things bout KS dont you think Team Performance would be better??
Old 6th June 2006, 21:11   #25
BHPian

no dude KS is the right guy man dont think team porformance is that good
Old 6th June 2006, 21:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacky
no dude KS is the right guy man dont think team porformance is that good
Are you sure, I mean my friends got some mods done by KS in his esteem he wasnt too happy with the work!
Old 6th June 2006, 21:18   #27
BANNED

Hi Guys,

I would tend to agree with Silent Screamers about KS. He has done some excellent cars like Ford Rocams and at the same time messed up a lot of cars as well. Anyways the topic is too personal and its best not argued on. I'm sure everyone has their reasons for either recommending for or against an indivdual.

Also KS is only good with Honda's and Lancers. He is no good when it comes to carbburetted cars.
Viper

Last edited by viper : 6th June 2006 at 21:20.
Old 7th June 2006, 10:45   #28
BHPian

ya viper is right hes only good with lancer and honda engines but u needed to import an engine for the lancer so sugested him to u any wais viper can u tell me who will be suitable for a carbburetted engine

Most Viewed