Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2012, 14:33   #1
BHPian

Renault Duster Guide : How to install driving lamps & aftermarket horn

I had Hella 3003 lamps installed on my Duster. These lamps are the right size for this SUV; I had first considered the Hella 700ff model which I had on an Elantra sedan.

When I went to the Renault delaler last week I was aghast to see a Duster on which an owner had installed similar lamps that were directly welded onto the Chassis cross member. The owner didnt even paint the weld points.

I got the lamps installed very professionally at a local electrician who really knows his work. He is trained and meticulous and I have done several such installations with for friends through this electrician.

I have attached a photo illustration of the work done (not the electrical part) so that DUSTER owners wanting to install lamps and horns may have it done without causing damage to their cars.

Remove the front grill and make two holes for the RHS lamp in the cross member. Make them offset as shown to reduce chances of vibration
Renault Duster Guide : How to install driving lamps & aftermarket horn-1.jpg

Make two holes for the LHS lamp in the cross member. Make them offset as shown to reduce vibration
Renault Duster Guide : How to install driving lamps & aftermarket horn-2.jpg

I used Nippon (Sparkling-Silver colour) Aerosol paint to protect the drilled surfaces from corrosion. If your workshop can do the original Renault colour do so.
Renault Duster Guide : How to install driving lamps & aftermarket horn-3.jpg

RHS Painted
Renault Duster Guide : How to install driving lamps & aftermarket horn-4.jpg

Bracket is painted with Nippon Aerosol Paint. Coat the surface with Silicon paste to ensure water and dirt does not accumulate between the bracket and mounting point. Use 6mm TVS Self Locking bolts and fasten the bracket.
Renault Duster Guide : How to install driving lamps & aftermarket horn-5.jpg

LHS Bracket Mounted. The Silicon can be seen here.
Renault Duster Guide : How to install driving lamps & aftermarket horn-6.jpg

Remove the existing horn and make a vertical bracket on a 5mm Plate as shown to hold two horns.
Renault Duster Guide : How to install driving lamps & aftermarket horn-7.jpg

Horn and lamp brackets fitted.
Renault Duster Guide : How to install driving lamps & aftermarket horn-8.jpg

Lamps installed.
Renault Duster Guide : How to install driving lamps & aftermarket horn-9.jpg

Lamps and Horns installed. Job Complete.
Renault Duster Guide : How to install driving lamps & aftermarket horn-10.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 10th December 2012 at 16:16. Reason: Lining up pictures as individual attachments
noelravin is offline   (49) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 16:20   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Renault Duster Guide : How to install driving lamps & aftermarket horn

Thanks for sharing, Noelravin. This will surely be of immense help to Renault Duster owners (and there's so many of them on the forum!).

I've used the information present in your PDF, and listed the pictures / text in the post itself. It's easier that way. For future reference, please refer to this announcement.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 17:06   #3
BHPian

Neatly done and thanks for sharing, would also request you to post pictures of the illumination with the auxiliary lamps VS with only the stock headlamps.
Old 10th December 2012, 17:59   #4
gemi_kk

This is one good installation. I like those big bulbs. Please post some more pictures of the car, which are taken from a distance. Also would you plesae provide some photos + information on the wiring done?

:How come many people are installing such big lights? In my city, i see many cars with extra lights are being caught. and these police wale will charge heavily for such mods. correct me if i am wrong.
please let me know how you handle such situations

Old 10th December 2012, 18:15   #5
BHPian

Thank you very much for this lovely post. My son always says that our Duster has a 'sore throat' so people don't get 'scared' of it.

Just have a doubt here. Have you retained the original horn and use this as additional or is this a replacement for the OE? I ask this because you have mentioned 'Remove the existing horn and make a vertical bracket on a 5mm Plate as shown to hold two horns'. Where is the original horn mounted and can those brackets not be used?

Also, is the scuff plate OE? I have a Duster 85PS RxL (O) but it came with a black scuff plate. Is yours 110PS?

Rajesh

Last edited by woodcrawler : 10th December 2012 at 18:24. Reason: To add a missing query
Old 11th December 2012, 17:05   #6
BHPian

Very useful post. One of my buddies has got a duster and plans on fitting auxillary lights for the butch look. Could you also highlight how the wiring was done. Is there a separate switch to control the aux. lights or has it been connected through a relay to the fog lamps/low-beams. Please post pics of the switch (if any) also.
Old 13th December 2012, 19:26   #7
BHPian

the lights look nice and bring a more butch appeal to the car making it look more like a proper jeep.
But aren't the lights placed in such a manner that restrict airflow to the engine cooling components?
with the horns covering the mid section and the lights covering the outer ends do u think the airflow has been restricted? the upper part of the radiator is always hotter than the lower end that's why manufacturers make grills with bigger gaps than the ones below.

(sorry, my observations are just assumptions based on the pictures)

if i were you i'd fit them beside the number plates so they would be lower than the headlights which comply to the rules and would have also not blocked air into the grills.
Old 13th December 2012, 20:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

Sure looks good ! How are the stock lights on the Duster ? Adequate for highway runs ?

Cheers
Old 13th December 2012, 20:53   #9
BHPian

how do you focus the lights left to right? I think vertical adjustments no issues, can be done. Good work & thanks for sharing.
ALSUDA is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2012, 22:33   #10

Very neat installation. But i have my apprehensions that in a place like delhi the lamps might take a HIT, especially in parking lots like CP, where cars are parked kissing each other. A slight nudge by a eager beaver parking assistant can damage the lamps. May be a 4X4 grill or some smart cover which can enhance the butch look too !
Old 14th December 2012, 22:53   #11
P76
BHPian

Hi noelravin, nice installation, does the lights vibrate when the vehicle goes over slight undulations on the road? Where did you get these brackets fabricated in Chennai? I am looking for a good installer in Chennai to fabricate brackets for Hella 4000 lamps for my Innova. The Hella 4000's are metal ones and are thrice as heavy as the 3003's, hence the brackets would have to be robust enough to resist vibrations.
Also, please let me know what switches you have installed for the lights along with snaps.
Old 15th December 2012, 17:26   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelravin View Post

I got the lamps installed very professionally at a local electrician who really knows his work. He is trained and meticulous and I have done several such installations with for friends through this electrician.
Hi

Your installation looks good.

Can you share the address and location of the electrician who did the work? I am badly in need of a electrician who can install a hella horn with a bracket for my swift
Old 15th December 2012, 19:05   #13
BHPian

Quote:
I had Hella 3003 lamps installed on my Duster. These lamps are the right size for this SUV; I had first considered the Hella 700ff model which I had on an Elantra sedan.

Lamps installed.
Attachment 1025524

Lamps and Horns installed. Job Complete.
Attachment 1025525
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for sharing, Noelravin. This will surely be of immense help to Renault Duster owners (and there's so many of them on the forum!).

I've used the information present in your PDF, and listed the pictures / text in the post itself. It's easier that way. For future reference, please refer to this announcement.
No doubt the installation has been done very meticulously and with neat finish and looks as if the twin lamps are factory fitted as OE. If you provoide the name and address of the electrician who has done the job it will be helpful for other members who are interested in additional accessories for their cars and if the workshop is in Chennai I am looking forward to meet him during my next visit to Chennai as I am interested in getting a pair of good halogen lamps and a set of Air horns fitted for my Hyundai i10

Last edited by aah78 : 16th December 2012 at 22:19. Reason: Edited large quoted post.
KALSANKRPAI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 21:29   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Hi

Your installation looks good.

Can you share the address and location of the electrician who did the work? I am badly in need of a electrician who can install a hella horn with a bracket for my swift
The electrician's name is Gokul. His number is 9962629218. His workshop (enough for just one car) is opposite Malar-Fortis hospital next to the new Mercy Electronics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bijuiser View Post
Neatly done and thanks for sharing, would also request you to post pictures of the illumination with the auxiliary lamps VS with only the stock headlamps.
I havent taken any photos of the illumination as yet. I expect to be on the highway next weekend - I will post those pictures sometime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
This is one good installation. I like those big bulbs. Please post some more pictures of the car, which are taken from a distance. Also would you plesae provide some photos + information on the wiring done?

:How come many people are installing such big lights? In my city, i see many cars with extra lights are being caught. and these police wale will charge heavily for such mods. correct me if i am wrong.
please let me know how you handle such situations
The wiring was done by using a heavy duty twin-point relay which feeds directly from the battery mains. This way each bulb gets its own relay and fuse. The Hella lamps get power only when the main headlights are on the highbeam - the way I have done it these lights cannot be switched on indepentantly. There is an extra switch on the dash which gives the option of switching these lights on or off (so it does or does not operate with the high beam). This is much safer in my opinion because while driving on our new fast highways you dont have to keep looking for the hella-switch and get distracted. They just function as you drive normally and when you use the low beam you do not harm other drivers. These lights are bright and can be a nuisance for other drivers if misused - it is best you wire it this way so you dont leave them on blinding oncoming traffic. The switch operates the negative line to the relay so that the power line does not get wired in the car. I will send pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcrawler View Post
Thank you very much for this lovely post. My son always says that our Duster has a 'sore throat' so people don't get 'scared' of it.

Just have a doubt here. Have you retained the original horn and use this as additional or is this a replacement for the OE? I ask this because you have mentioned 'Remove the existing horn and make a vertical bracket on a 5mm Plate as shown to hold two horns'. Where is the original horn mounted and can those brackets not be used?

Also, is the scuff plate OE? I have a Duster 85PS RxL (O) but it came with a black scuff plate. Is yours 110PS?

Rajesh
My Duster is the 110ps - the scuff plate is the OE one. I removed the horn which is mounted on a single hole on the right side of the vertical post (just behind the renault Logo). The the new bracket is fitted horozontally using that same hole and two Roots-vibrosonic Mini horns have been fitted on either side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky_63 View Post
Sure looks good ! How are the stock lights on the Duster ? Adequate for highway runs ?

Cheers
The stock lamps are good but only 55watts - also stock reflectors need to spread out the light and so really dont carry distance. If you use these lamps once you will feel handicapped without them. They really travel a distance and enable you therefore to keep a confident pace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSUDA View Post
how do you focus the lights left to right? I think vertical adjustments no issues, can be done. Good work & thanks for sharing.
All the vertical and horizontal adjustments are built into the hella mounting point. No worries!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYCE_4WD View Post
Very neat installation. But i have my apprehensions that in a place like delhi the lamps might take a HIT, especially in parking lots like CP, where cars are parked kissing each other. A slight nudge by a eager beaver parking assistant can damage the lamps. May be a 4X4 grill or some smart cover which can enhance the butch look too !
The nudge-bars available in the market for the duster are really ugly and are extremely heavy. I am making a bar specifically to protect these lamps from minor accidents such as while parking and from motorcycles at signals. I will send pictures!

Last edited by aah78 : 16th December 2012 at 22:23. Reason: Posts merged. Please use MULTI-QUOTE / QUOTE + while responding to multiple posts.
noelravin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th December 2012, 22:36   #15
BANNED

Quote:
The electrician's name is Gokul. His number is 9962629218. His workshop (enough for just one car) is opposite Malar-Fortis hospital next to the new Mercy Electronics.
s!
What a coincidence ,just yesterday evening I had been there

I saw a appreciation letter by A company for a miniature merc made by gokul so understood that he has some knowledge and interest in cars.

Anyways my hella has cracked within two months of purchase and hope I get a replacement under warranty.

By the way did you buy the lights through gokul or you got it from shop by yourself?

Gokul asked me to go for roots mini horn but I am a hella fan for its sharp and loudness .

Any suggestions ?

Last edited by joshguy : 16th December 2012 at 22:39. Reason: Added lines

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks