Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2012, 08:16   #16
BHPian

Re: Renault Duster Guide : How to install driving lamps & aftermarket horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
What a coincidence ,just yesterday evening I had been there

I saw a appreciation letter by A company for a miniature merc made by gokul so understood that he has some knowledge and interest in cars.

Anyways my hella has cracked within two months of purchase and hope I get a replacement under warranty.

By the way did you buy the lights through gokul or you got it from shop by yourself?

Gokul asked me to go for roots mini horn but I am a hella fan for its sharp and loudness .

Any suggestions ?
I bought the lights through a dealer on GP Road. I preferred the Roots because they are serviceable. My experience with hella horns have not been very good. Of the 3 cars at our office fitted with Hella horns - 2 had failures in just over a year and they could not be serviced.
Old 17th December 2012, 18:56   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Can you provide me a route map to Malar Fortis Hospital from Egmore - Udupi Junction to visit Mr Gokul's workshop

Last edited by Sheel : 16th April 2020 at 11:42. Reason: Broken quote tag fixed.
Old 17th December 2012, 22:23   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by KALSANKRPAI joshguy View Post

Can you provide me a route map to Malar Fortis Hospital from Egmore - Udupi Junction to visit Mr Gokul's workshop
I assume Udupi is in Halls road and you are talking about that.In simple words i would say follow the roads given below.This is the simplest road as you are new to chennai

1.From your place take PUDHUPET Market road and reach the Dead End (Chennai's used Auto spares Market)
2.You would have reached Anna Salai - take left
3. Immediate right on the signal will take you to Walaja Road -To till END
4. You will reach Marina beach -Take Right in the signal
5 Keep going in the beach road for about 5-7 kms
You will pass Santhome>Fore Shore Estate>RA Puram (Raja Annamalai Puram)>Adyar
6.If you have doubts ASK FOR MALAR HOSPITAL and anyone will guide you
7.Opp to Malar Hospital is a fly over,Dont go over it ,instead go below it and 100 meters you will find a Electronics store called MERCY ELECTRONICS.

GOKUL AUTO ELECTRICALS is one shop before Mercy
Old 18th December 2012, 16:01   #19
BHPian

@joshguy

I was also planing to install an aux light in my linea and when I checked with some professionals doing this mods, they said, its not advisable to alter the frame structure. So I dropped my plan and upgraded the headlights to 100/90. Have you discussed with Gokul before you drilled the frame?

I really like your aux lights. Fantastic job!!!
Old 18th December 2012, 16:45   #20
BHPian

@noelravin, a very useful and professional way to enhance the duster's illumination. My query is, how much of driveability is affected by the increase in length due to the headlights?Since the first point of contact up front is the hellas. what is the protection to both the light as well as the brackets holding them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinesh View Post
I was also planing to install an aux light in my linea and when I checked with some professionals doing this mods, they said, its not advisable to alter the frame structure. So I dropped my plan and upgraded the headlights to 100/90.
@ndinesh, if your ride is linea or Duster(both have twin domes) how did you enhance to 100/90? Care to share? Duster's headlights really dont cut ice in our highways for night riding unless you drive south of 80 KMPH
Old 18th December 2012, 21:26   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelravin View Post

The nudge-bars available in the market for the duster are really ugly and are extremely heavy. I am making a bar specifically to protect these lamps from minor accidents such as while parking and from motorcycles at signals. I will send pictures!
Will look forward to the pics !
Old 19th December 2012, 07:22   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndinesh View Post
@joshguy

I was also planing to install an aux light in my linea and when I checked with some professionals doing this mods, they said, its not advisable to alter the frame structure. So I dropped my plan and upgraded the headlights to 100/90. Have you discussed with Gokul before you drilled the frame?

I really like your aux lights. Fantastic job!!!
There is no alteration to the frame structure. Just 4x6mm holes which go through a 1.6mm sheet metal cross member. As a rule you should never drive through a closed chassis frame.

100 watt bulbs in a stock headlight often causes discolouring of the outer lens because they are plastic and not meant to withstand the heat. It helps to switch off the 100watt bulbs while at a signal/stationary.

Noel.
Old 17th January 2013, 23:37   #23
BHPian

Hi,

Could you please share price of Hella 3003 pair and relay.

Regards
Old 27th January 2013, 22:44   #24
BHPian

Noel,
Mucho Gracias for this very informative thread!
I am scouting around to replace that anaemic horn in my Duster RZX.
Just a basic Q - how is the front grill removed?
I attempted by removing the four retaining bolts on top using an Allen key.
However, the grill seems to be also affixed to the top of the bumper - some snap-on fasteners perhaps? Its not coming loose.
Will be glad if you are able to throw some light on that point.
Old 28th January 2013, 12:27   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
Noel,
Mucho Gracias for this very informative thread!
I am scouting around to replace that anaemic horn in my Duster RZX.
Just a basic Q - how is the front grill removed?
I attempted by removing the four retaining bolts on top using an Allen key.
However, the grill seems to be also affixed to the top of the bumper - some snap-on fasteners perhaps? Its not coming loose.
Will be glad if you are able to throw some light on that point.
You will have to remove the entire bumper as per Renault standard procedure. Anyways, it is not that difficult. There are totally seven bolts below and four retaining bolts on top. Only three bolts below need a bigger size "flower" allen key. Once all the bolts are removed, the bumper has to be released from it's clip underneath the headlights. As complicated as it sounds, it is pretty simple taking a maximum of 20 mins to remove. When I fit my horns at a local garage, his approach was similar to yours. In fact he even succeeded in removing the front chrome coated grill, but my heart was in my mouth every time he tugged at the bumper.Not the right way and definitely not advisable. You might succeed as my mechanic did, but why take a chance?
Neil Roy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 13:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
You will have to remove the entire bumper as per Renault standard procedure.
=========
.Not the right way and definitely not advisable. You might succeed as my mechanic did, but why take a chance?
The grill is complicated to figure out. You need to remove two screws which are on the inside-top of the grill with the use of an extra-long tool. Then the grill is pulled outward/forward to remove. There is a long insert/lock which is just behind the Renault logo.
noelravin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2013, 13:34   #27
BHPian

Quote:
The grill is complicated to figure out. You need to remove two screws which are on the inside-top of the grill with the use of an extra-long tool. Then the grill is pulled outward/forward to remove. There is a long insert/lock which is just behind the Renault logo.
Hi Neil,

Do you know if its possible to get a copy of the service catalogue for the duster. I checked the internet but couldnt find anything. For DYI people like us that would be incredibly useful!
Old 28th January 2013, 19:18   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Roy View Post
You will have to remove the entire bumper as per Renault standard procedure... but why take a chance?
Quote:
The grill is complicated to figure out. You need to remove two screws which are on the inside-top of the grill ...There is a long insert/lock which is just behind the Renault logo.
Neil & Noelravin,
Thanks your prompt responses and advice.
I'll go for removal of the whole bumper - preferable to stay within the recommended procedure!

@ Noel - I have a soft copy of the maintenance manual version 2009 in English- its a whole lot of PDF files about 56 MB - if you are interested message me your e-mail and I will post you a link in Dropbox.
Old 28th January 2013, 22:51   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Rotor View Post
Neil & Noelravin,
Thanks your prompt responses and advice.
I'll go for removal of the whole bumper - preferable to stay within the recommended procedure!

@ Noel - I have a soft copy of the maintenance manual version 2009 in English- its a whole lot of PDF files about 56 MB - if you are interested message me your e-mail and I will post you a link in Dropbox.
That would be great! My email id is noelravin@gmail.com . I look forward to receiving the link.
Old 1st February 2013, 19:38   #30
BHPian

Quote:
.. I look forward to receiving the link.
Noel- I had sent the Dropbox link a few days ago. Hope you have received it.
Rigid Rotor is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed