Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2013, 22:53   #16
BHPian

Re: Tein Super-Street suspension with EDFC for the Honda Civic

Congratulation man!!i agree that the money is well spent!

In fact i am considering the same mods (TEIN suspension plus michelin tires) for my Cedia sometime in May. I am planning to get it done at RRP itself.

Why did you downsize from 205 to 195 section tyres?
Old 6th January 2013, 09:57   #17
Team-BHP Support

I collared Nikhil at a traffic light and bummed a short ride. On the softest setting,the ride felt rather germanic! Wonder what it would be like on full hard!
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th January 2013, 12:56   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Nikhil how does the electronic damper control work? Is it magnetic or hydraulic?
It is hydraulic. From what I know, it is supposed to have 16 small valves which regulate how much oif hydraulic fluid is used to dampen the suspension. So, one notch or one turn on the controller opens one valve.

If I am not wrong, on the softest setting, all 16 valves are open to give the softest ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Lovely reading your experiences with new suspensions, as a fellow Civic owner i can relate to most of the stuff.

I had seen these suspensions earlier on a Fortuner and thought they were a waste of money, obviously the guy did not like the Fortuner's suspensions and had these installed and few months later wanted to sell the car. My reaction was "What a waste of money". Thankfully now i get the benefits of having something like this at least in Civic. Whats happens to the warrenty? Might wanna get this done once i am out of it.
Warranty on the suspension is void I guess. I didnt check with Honda about this but I am pretty sure it will be void.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B103 View Post
Entire Honda range in India suffers from the same malice of soft suspension. Any idea if this mod can be done for a Honda City too?
I guess it can be used on the Honda City too. But I'm not sure. Please check with RRP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuvan_prasad View Post
The busted engine mount would have increased engine vibrations and overall vibrations and noise when hitting a bad patch/pothole. A fully worn out mount would mean your engine is similar to being directly mounted onto the chassis, probably why you felt a lot of difference with the new mount. Though I'm a little puzzled that the difference was that drastic and affected overall ride quality. You should have asked somebody sitting in the rear seat about the before/after. They probably would not have experienced as much of a difference as you did, in the drivers seat.

All said and done, for Indian roads this is the best MOD for a daily-drive civic, and though we pay a premium compared to the US, it is totally worth it. Also, the dampers can be re-configured, so it is akin to a lifetime warranty I guess. Congratulations and enjoy the ride.
Thanks! I'm keenly following your thread as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contrapunto View Post
I believe engine mount problems are quite commonplace, caused primarily due to the bad roads we have to drive on- most of the time anyway. The ASC changed my engine mount, I think, around the 40k Km mark. He gave me the mount back, it had completely worn off So your experience is definitely not an anomaly.

The drive improved significantly after that........

Cheers.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Good mod and good review put up. Thanks.

My cousin replaced stock suspension with Teins on his Fortuner and swers by it. He says that the ride has changed for good and it is money well spent. He was very happy going by road from Bangalore to Cochin for Christmas. He hardly drives the car, but enjoys the ride.

Any idea if it is universal and a straight fit for all cars?
Would the ride comfort improve for a stiff suspension car like the Fiesta Calssic?
How much did you end up paying for it?
It is a straight fit for the Civic. Other cars, I'm not so sure. For the Fiesta Classic, I think the Bilsteins would be better. There is a Blue 1.6 S in Kerala with Bilsteins and I'm told it is one of the best handling cars in India. I'm sure the Fiesta would benefit with the Teins but maybe not as much as with the Bilsteins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Good mod. i too considered Teins for my car. But it looks too expensive given the amount of driving I do. Most probably I will go for Koni FSDs with stock spring.
They should be good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak View Post
Congratulation man!!i agree that the money is well spent!

In fact i am considering the same mods (TEIN suspension plus michelin tires) for my Cedia sometime in May. I am planning to get it done at RRP itself.

Why did you downsize from 205 to 195 section tyres?
Downsized because Michelin Primacy LC was not availbale in 205/65-15. If it was, I would have gone for it in a heartbeat.
Old 7th January 2013, 19:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Downsized because Michelin Primacy LC was not availbale in 205/65-15. If it was, I would have gone for it in a heartbeat.
MPLCs are available on that size and I have them on my car. i got it from Sai Iyengar in Indira Nagar.
Old 8th January 2013, 11:32   #20
BHPian

Congratulations and thanks for the info.
Let me know when you are planning for a track day?

This is the one i would recommend to any of my friends who wants to upgrade suspension for following reasons.
- Height adjustable on the fly.
- You have their support locally unlike importing it from abroad for cheaper price and struggling later if there are any issues with it.
- 2yrs warranty, I am told not to worry for 1lkh kms.

only -ve i can think of is the price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
My cousin replaced stock suspension with Teins on his Fortuner and swers by it. He says that the ride has changed for good and it is money well spent.
More info please on high speed cornering, sudden swerve to left/right while overtaking especially for fortuner will help my friend to go ahead with it.
Old 8th January 2013, 14:38   #21
BHPian

Nikhil,

This is slightly OT, but still relevant to this thread and the discussion.

Did you inquire about the basic Tein-suspension that RRP has to offer? How does it compare with the setup you got yourselves? More specifically what does it lose out. Their website says that the basic suspension can also be manually adjusted.

I am guessing that you paid around a lac and 30 grands or so for your setup. How much would have the basic suspension setup cost you?

BTW, congrats on your new suspension setup and wish many many happy miles with your ciVic.
Old 8th January 2013, 14:53   #22
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Great review Nikhil! When are you taking it to the track?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
It isn't height adjustable on the fly!
Old 8th January 2013, 15:19   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racedynamics View Post
It isn't height adjustable on the fly!
You are right its actually a damping force adjustable.

For my information is there any suspension sold in india which comes with height adjustable like we see in prado?

Last edited by brraj : 8th January 2013 at 15:23.
Old 9th January 2013, 14:48   #24
BHPian

Congratulations on the new setup.
For somebody with the resources, maybe. But IMHO, the money spent on the Tein setup seems a bit high.
Plus, all the electronic gadgetry just makes it seem that much more delicate.
I could be ignorant but thats what I feel.
Old 10th January 2013, 22:21   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
MPLCs are available on that size and I have them on my car. i got it from Sai Iyengar in Indira Nagar.
Used to be available/ Not anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brraj View Post
Congratulations and thanks for the info.
Let me know when you are planning for a track day?

This is the one i would recommend to any of my friends who wants to upgrade suspension for following reasons.
- You have their support locally unlike importing it from abroad for cheaper price and struggling later if there are any issues with it.
- 2yrs warranty, I am told not to worry for 1lkh kms.

only -ve i can think of is the price.

More info please on high speed cornering, sudden swerve to left/right while overtaking especially for fortuner will help my friend to go ahead with it.
Height is not adjustable though. And yes, there is a peace of mind with people like RRP behind it.

It is supposed to make a huge difference for Fortuner. I drove the RRP scorpio with the Teins and it felt like a different car altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naut View Post
Nikhil,

This is slightly OT, but still relevant to this thread and the discussion.

Did you inquire about the basic Tein-suspension that RRP has to offer? How does it compare with the setup you got yourselves? More specifically what does it lose out. Their website says that the basic suspension can also be manually adjusted.

I am guessing that you paid around a lac and 30 grands or so for your setup. How much would have the basic suspension setup cost you?

BTW, congrats on your new suspension setup and wish many many happy miles with your ciVic.
I did but I wasnt interested. The basic one is about a lakh. Basic means Superstreet without EDFC. For the Civic superstreet is the only one a
vailable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racedynamics View Post
Great review Nikhil! When are you taking it to the track?!
Hopefully soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmunster View Post
Congratulations on the new setup.
For somebody with the resources, maybe. But IMHO, the money spent on the Tein setup seems a bit high.
Plus, all the electronic gadgetry just makes it seem that much more delicate.
I could be ignorant but thats what I feel.
Well, I think it's totally worth it given how many times I keep stiffening it and softening it.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 23:27   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

About a month or so back I went back to RRP for some other (non-Civic related) work and I mentioned to one of the top mechanics there that the GC was a little low. He then checked and told me that the spacers which they normally install on Civics was not installed on my car.

Since I had some time to kill, they lifted my car and did it immediately. This was a major blessing for me as I live in the other end of Bangalore. Anyway, the spacers were 15mm spacers installed at the rear of the car.

The car visibly looks taller and doesnt scrape at all! It's very difficult to scrape the car now. Only the largest mountains can kiss the underbody of the car.

The handling of the car hasnt changed even a bit. It's still magical.

I didnt think it was possible to love this car more but I have been proved wrong.

About a month back, two friends and me were driving back from Madras. We reached a section of road whgere the tarmac was fresh! It looked like it had been laid a couple of days ago. The road opened up and traffic magically disappeared(it really did! I was not dreaming).

The next 40 kms or so were despatched in about 20 minutes. Never once used the brake and the car was going flat out through the curves. And the best part, I was sticking to the lanes! I was not swerving from one lane to the other.

Those 20-25 minutes were simply amazing. Those few kms have been burned into my memory. The car with the Teins at the stiffest setting was just spectacular. At that moment, I didnt want anything else from life. It was one of those rare highs of life where you feel like your life is complete. People may have BMWs or Mercs or Ferraris or even a Veyron, but at that moment, I felt like I owned the best car on the planet bar none.

I can wholeheartedly say that this suspension is the best thing any Civic owner can install on his car. Of course it's expensive but if you love driving and plan on keeping your car, getting the Teins makes perfect sense.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th April 2013, 12:58   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Entire Honda range in India suffers from the same malice of soft suspension. Any idea if this mod can be done for a Honda City too?
I don't think it can be done to an OHC
Old 16th April 2013, 15:00   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
...I can wholeheartedly say that this suspension is the best thing any Civic owner can install on his car. Of course it's expensive but if you love driving and plan on keeping your car, getting the Teins makes perfect sense.
Congrats on the suspension upgrade, Nikhilb2008, good to know that you are enjoying the drive after the suspension upgrade .

Quote:
Entire Honda range in India suffers from the same malice of soft suspension....
"Soft suspension" is not a malaise, it is by (very good) design with certain objectives in mind, with maybe not all those objectives satisfying Indian road conditions .
Old 23rd April 2013, 13:18   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Jazz has a hard suspension setup and is very unlike the the Civic, Accord, the OHC or the entire Honda range as you would put it. Haven't driven the Brio or the Amaze yet, so can't comment.

BTW, Congrats Nikhilb2008 on the awesome setup. Wouldn't the 195 profile tyres be a little to puny for taking it out on the track?

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 23rd April 2013 at 13:23.
Old 23rd April 2013, 14:24   #30
BHPian

Good read, glad you don't miss buying a nano instead.

Has the stance changed significantly?

Most Viewed