Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2013, 08:10   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Laura with a Bilstein B14 suspension & many other Mods

Awesome upgrades! I would love to know your feedback on the short shifter. I tried the Forge one but didnt find much of a worthwhile difference. I will definitely PM you for the finer details.
Old 18th January 2013, 12:42   #17

Re: My Laura with a Bilstein B14 suspension & many other Mods

The forge short shifter actually has a marginally shorter throw as compared to the TT RS one, But what made the actual difference was reducing the length of the gear lever itself.
It's now a lot more crisper and direct now.
Old 18th January 2013, 14:30   #18
Senior - BHPian

Pz16: As Omtoatom rightly said, a lot of laura owners would sit up and notice!
Here's one who's not only noticed, but is in awe of the mods done.
Thats one awe inspiring list you've got there.

I'm sorry, but havent fully understood the variable suspension part yet. Do you do that on the suspension itself, or do you have a button in the cabin to take care of height?

Also, please do upgrade tyres and alloys. Since your's is Ambeinte, Im assuming those are stock 15", right? Probably 17" would make do.

Do keep us updated on any other mods, planned or in progress.

And yes, welcome to the forum. You've truly arrived with a bang
Old 18th January 2013, 15:22   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Pz16, Your lowered car looks so much better than the on the stilts stock Laura. Lowering the ride height has completely transformed the look, i so much want this look with big rims and low pro tires for my Laura, but unfortunately i often have to travel to places which require generous ground clearance and high profile rubber to cushion the rims.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2013, 10:15   #20

Swanand: the suspension enables me to increase or decrease the ground clearance of the car, however I don't have any button or electronic device for this. The height can be increased or reduced using a rotary knob on the suspension itself.

Ya, the wheels are standard 15" with 195/65 rubber. Will go for bigger wheels later on during the year (hopefully)

Anshuman: thanks, even I have to travel over very bad roads a few times a month, that's why haven't changed the wheels yet. It basically keeps the ride at a decent level of comfort and I don't have to be in constant paranoia about by rims cracking.
Old 19th January 2013, 11:55   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pz16 View Post
Ya, the wheels are standard 15" with 195/65 rubber. Will go for bigger wheels later on during the year (hopefully)

Anshuman: thanks, even I have to travel over very bad roads a few times a month, that's why haven't changed the wheels yet. It basically keeps the ride at a decent level of comfort and I don't have to be in constant paranoia about by rims cracking.
In that case, why not just keep the 15" rims, and get wider grippy tires? Or at most upgrade to 16s.

Any plans about the remap? Petes, Revo?
Old 19th January 2013, 12:03   #22

Maybe will go for bigger rims later on, actually I was on the look out for 16" Lyra wheels and then getting them painted, but they've been discontinued unfortunately.

No plans for a remap anytime soon but if I do will go for Petes one only, but tbh bench-mapping is putting me off to an extent.
Old 19th January 2013, 13:00   #23
BHPian

Quote:
The height can be increased or reduced using a rotary knob on the suspension itself.
That is rather convenient mate. How much is the range?

Quote:
Just out of sheer curiosity, why did you choose to keep stock alloys + rubber up until now? Especially after those entensive mods!
Old 19th January 2013, 16:15   #24

Omtoatom: at its highest the car is lower by 20mm i.e. 145mm (standard ride height is 165mm)

And at the lowest it would be 50mm lower i.e. approx 110mm

Right now, she's currently down by somewhere between 25 to 30mm.
Old 21st January 2013, 12:51   #25
BHPian

That's a substantially wide range mate. The car must be behaving vastly different at the top and bottom points of that spectrum. Must be good fun to ride her lowered down on smooth tarmac!

Last edited by Omtoatom : 21st January 2013 at 12:52.
Old 2nd February 2013, 19:09   #26

A few pics after a nice wash.
Attached Thumbnails
My Laura with a Bilstein B14 suspension & many other Mods-img_1724.jpg  

My Laura with a Bilstein B14 suspension & many other Mods-img_1749-copy.jpg  

Pz16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2013, 14:08   #27
BHPian

Nice mods man. Great to see people here taking such initiatives. Would like to hear more bout the suspension mod u've done. Handling improvements, GC issues, installation cost+challenges etc.
Quote:
The forge short shifter actually has a marginally shorter throw as compared to the TT RS one, But what made the actual difference was reducing the length of the gear lever itself.
It's now a lot more crisper and direct now.
I have both the old Ambiente and the new VRS. I can confirm that the new 2012+ models have a shorter gear knob height and throw than the 2010-11 models with the silver gear knob.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 20th February 2013 at 08:41. Reason: Merging post.
Old 5th February 2013, 15:48   #28

@prithwi :
Thanks man!
Handling is obviously on a different level, I would have a difficult time giving it words. Can say this though having driven with the standard suspension for 3.5 years, it feels like I can take on a gt-r in the corners (per se, obviously)

Otherwise, on huge huge bumps there is slight touching when the car's loaded.
But nothing major.!
I got the entire set up from Pete's & if you ever want to do a performance upgrade I would blindly recommend you to just speak with Peter first. :-)
Old 6th February 2013, 00:07   #29
BHPian

Hi Pz16, congratulations! Awesome mods done to your ride. I should say a well maintained ride. Thanks for such an informative thread, telling us what all can be done to a stock laura ambition. Thanks to _ravan_ & akshay1234 for suggesting this thread. My bad I missed it earlier. Would you mind giving break up of the cost incurred for these mods. Would especially be interested in the VCDS tweaking, RS pedals, maxi dot and auto folding mirrors and yes the mutli function steering wheel. And as omtoatom put it, I would trouble you with some PMs now.
Shreyas Aterkar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2013, 21:28   #30

Thanks a lot ! Would be glad if I could help someone out with the vcds and stuff. As for the other mods folding mirrors were really expensive and only outdone cost-wise by the suspension. For the other mods, they've been done over a period of 3.5 years, so didnt really feel the pinch that much.

Thanks once again.
Pz16 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks