Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2006, 14:21   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman
How about a detachable engine.

I would not dismiss the talents of pucca Indian thieves. They are up there with the best.
I remember that when a bus parked in our petrol bunk was seized by finance guys, they had come with spare wheels, a gear box, steering columns and gear lever.
No surprises for what the thief will come with.
Old 9th June 2006, 06:22   #17
BANNED

Yesterday, I went to a shop in cochin selling gear locks & steering wheel locks and enquired about the safety of the gear locks and the owner told me that since the Gear Locks are fitted using nuts & bolts, it can be removed easily.

But that's not the case with a steering wheel lock which is attached to the clutch/brake and the rod which is used for attaching is made of steel and it requires about 5/6 axo blades to cut it off !!!!

His reply seemed to be sincere since that shop is having both the steering wheel locks & gear locks costing Rs.375 and Rs.2000 respectively and he never persuaded me to go for the costliest item; although I'm having some doubts related with his info...

So what's your opinion, Guyz ?
Old 9th June 2006, 10:49   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun
But that's not the case with a steering wheel lock which is attached to the clutch/brake and the rod which is used for attaching is made of steel and it requires about 5/6 axo blades to cut it off !!!!
So what's your opinion, Guyz ?
Mithun, a real thief is not going to cut the steering/cluch lock. He would rather unlock the stuff. Once a thief graduates in lock picking, he can open almost all locks.

But, I am not being paraniod, it is better to use combination of protective systems than one. My logic is a thief would do a feasibility study of cars in a lot an go for the easiest one.

Finally, no point in worrying about things we can't control
Old 10th June 2006, 09:07   #19
BHPian

I think no one talked abt the gear locks in detail..in terms which one is best and what kind of deterrance can they provide.

U type - what are the negatives with them?

PIn Type - they are more slick however what disadvantes do they pose?

TH
Old 10th June 2006, 13:58   #20
Team-BHP Support

Physical visible deterrent systems are useful for two reasons.
1. Actual. They will slow down a thief, and when you are stealing time is valuable
2. Psychological. Your car is in a parking lot with a big steering lock attached. The thief will move on to another target unless we are talking an exotic expensive car here.
As for locks, there is no such thing as a secure lock. But if you have a real good steering lock, the thief will not bother.
Another trick when parking in unfamiliar unsafe places. Remove a relay(starter motor etc.,) from the engine bay. The thief may have a couple of fuses but he wont be carrying relays, will he. So if the car does not start he wont try to repair it and take it with him.
Old 17th February 2007, 12:32   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
Fool proof plan, get one of those removable steering systems. If they can't drive 'em they won't steal 'em.

I'm serious, if anybody knows of removable steering hub assemblies available somewhere in India, please let me know.
reminds me of Mr. Bean who use to do that
Old 17th February 2007, 18:58   #22
Senior - BHPian

Bro, you drive a modified Tata 407 called Safari where the relays are easily accessible.

But in most of the cars they are located at such hideous places that it requires an effort to locate and remove.

Secondly, I was wondering, if suppose one has to leave a place in a hurry that could be for various reasons, then those crucial seconds reqd to runaway will be lost fixing the relay..

I remember, my dad when we had a landmaster and then an amby, used to remove the lead from the ignition coil to distributor cap and carry in

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Physical visible deterrent systems are useful for two reasons.
1. Actual. They will slow down a thief, and when you are stealing time is valuable
2. Psychological. Your car is in a parking lot with a big steering lock attached. The thief will move on to another target unless we are talking an exotic expensive car here.
As for locks, there is no such thing as a secure lock. But if you have a real good steering lock, the thief will not bother.
Another trick when parking in unfamiliar unsafe places. Remove a relay(starter motor etc.,) from the engine bay. The thief may have a couple of fuses but he wont be carrying relays, will he. So if the car does not start he wont try to repair it and take it with him.
Old 19th February 2007, 10:42   #23
BHPian

Somebody nicked the wheelcaps of my car yesterday night. To my surprise they also opened the car, but luckily everyrthing is ther eexcept the jack/handle. The spare wheel is also there. I am too much afraid now. Can somebody please tell me where in Bangalore to get a U type gear lock and it sexpected price. I would put in a Maruti Nippon next month.
Old 19th February 2007, 15:37   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
Somebody nicked the wheelcaps of my car yesterday night. To my surprise they also opened the car, but luckily everyrthing is ther eexcept the jack/handle. The spare wheel is also there. I am too much afraid now. Can somebody please tell me where in Bangalore to get a U type gear lock and it sexpected price. I would put in a Maruti Nippon next month.
Why was the thief only interested in your wheel caps? That doesn't sound right.

Go for a security system with shock sensor and engine immobilizer in addition to the gear lock. What if you're not lucky the next time?
Old 19th February 2007, 16:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

Guys,
Since you people know more on gear locks, please help me.
I enquired couple of accessories shop for getting gear locks on my OHC.
One fellow told that he has Xenos and Autocop gear locks for small cars only. I went to Xenos India site and found that they make pin type gear locks for city. Please enlighten me.
Many thanks....
Old 20th February 2007, 10:41   #26
BHPian

Thats also what is keeping me worried. If he got into the car, he surely can do it again. I dont know why he didnt touch the stereo (face plate was not there), JBLs, battery etc. He must have had other cruel intensions, but was unable to execute. I am getting a Nippon today (is it good?) I am getting Nippon, only tring not to breach my warranty. Gear Lock, i called Xenos, bangalore, but they were out of stock. There is another one called Black Cat (are they good?)
Old 20th February 2007, 10:54   #27
BHPian

I called Mandovi. When i took delivery of my Swift, they said that Nippon (with immobilizer + Impact sensor) is for 5.5K, today they said 6K. Do they charge whatever they want? I went to Car Shringar yesterday, the guy said 4.5K for Autocop, with same features. For 5.5K i get the top=end model of Autocop woth motion sensors inside.

Guys, as a SOS, please let me know whether to go with Nippon or Autocop. I think Autocop is better, but as i said, i am worried about warranty issues. I need to take a decision today.

Last edited by hyper-VTEC : 20th February 2007 at 10:55.
Old 20th February 2007, 16:14   #28
Senior - BHPian

Both equally good. I've a Nippon in my Safari and a friend of mine has an Autocop in his Tavera. No issues whatsoever. Do a comparison on one-to-one basis and compare all features. Then decide value fo rmoney and implement..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
I called Mandovi. When i took delivery of my Swift, they said that Nippon (with immobilizer + Impact sensor) is for 5.5K, today they said 6K. Do they charge whatever they want? I went to Car Shringar yesterday, the guy said 4.5K for Autocop, with same features. For 5.5K i get the top=end model of Autocop woth motion sensors inside.

Guys, as a SOS, please let me know whether to go with Nippon or Autocop. I think Autocop is better, but as i said, i am worried about warranty issues. I need to take a decision today.
Old 21st February 2007, 05:06   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
Guys,
One fellow told that he has Xenos and Autocop gear locks for small cars only. I went to Xenos India site and found that they make pin type gear locks for city. Please enlighten me.
Many thanks....
Just go ahead with the Autocop gear lock system. Hope it will never disappoint you.
Old 21st February 2007, 20:13   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
Guys,
Many thanks....
Xenos makes U-type locks for the OHC. Yes, and I have one on mine fitted. Have the 350 Firewall from Xenos as well with the shock sensor. No issues so far, no thefts too . May be depends where one parks the car.

But remember,.. security always has a second meaning - tamper me / hack me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks