Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 13th May 2006, 04:48   #1
BANNED

Gear Lock Breaching

I've heard reports that gear locks are being breached in foreign countries. Is it true ?

I've known that gear locks can be bypassed only with the help of X-Ray cutters or some sort of industrial/commercial cutting mechanisms.

So can we trust gear locks better than car security systems ?

OR Will it follow the same path of car security systems ?

And as Gear Locks become too common will thieves find a way to get around with it ?
Old 13th May 2006, 08:02   #2
Team-BHP Support

No car is inpenetrable. The key is to delay the time it takes to steal the car. Mr Chor is an opportunitst and will do what he could to get way quickly.
Old 13th May 2006, 11:24   #3
Senior - BHPian

You must use security systems to put the thief off.

If he cannot penetrate the car in the first fifteen minutes, he will go away.
Old 13th May 2006, 12:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Fool proof plan, get one of those removable steering systems. If they can't drive 'em they won't steal 'em.

I'm serious, if anybody knows of removable steering hub assemblies available somewhere in India, please let me know.

Last edited by ported_head : 13th May 2006 at 12:12.
Old 13th May 2006, 13:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head
Fool proof plan, get one of those removable steering systems. If they can't drive 'em they won't steal 'em.

I'm serious, if anybody knows of removable steering hub assemblies available somewhere in India, please let me know.

lol imagine getting out of the car and handing the valet the sterring wheel instead of the keys ... haha park it by the tree sonny and aanh here is the steering wheel m8
Old 15th May 2006, 17:58   #6
BANNED

What I'm asking is that are the gear locks better than the electronic car security systems ?

And how the gear locks are being compromised by the thieves ?
Old 15th May 2006, 18:10   #7
Senior - BHPian

Gear locks are pretty easy to remove if you know what you are doing. I have seen them being removed using brute force in less than a minute. Even fancy Thatcham approved ones only stop a good thief for a few minutes. The cheap generic Taiwanese and Chinese ones you find in India have substandard locking systems and would not take more than a minute to remove by someone who knew what they were doing.

They are only act as a deterrent for the casual amateur thief. Any car thief worth his salt will not take more than a minute to remove a gear lock.

To deter a thief I would use a electronic alarm with a visual deterrent like a gear lock or steering wheel lock.

Have a read of the following test to see how quickly steering and gear locks can be removed http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product...ing_locks.html

Last edited by bigman : 15th May 2006 at 18:15.
Old 15th May 2006, 18:31   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman
The cheap generic Taiwanese and Chinese ones you find in India have substandard locking systems and would not take more than a minute to remove by someone who knew what they were doing.
How about gear locks manufactured by a reputed group like Pricol?

http://www.xenos.co.in/Gearshift.html
Old 15th May 2006, 21:21   #9
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Mithun : In one word ... Yes !

But Gear locks will prevent ur car from being stolen but the accessories and valuables inside can still be stolen. A Gear lock along with a strong electronic Anti theft system, should keep the burglars away.

Try looking at

1. Pin type gearlock for discreet installation
2. U-type for Fugly installation but high on visual deterrance.
3. Shock sensors modules for centrol locking systems.
4. Engine immobilizers
5. Alarms with battery backup.
6. 2way remote systems.
7. If u got the moolah then try out GPS / GSM sim based tracking and anti theft devices.

If you have an expensive ICE system or generally keep a lot of stuff inside ur car coz of ur travel needs then u definatly need the protection.

Ps : Park in proper areas to begin with
Old 15th May 2006, 23:47   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In one word ... Yes !

But Gear locks will prevent ur car from being stolen but the accessories and valuables inside can still be stolen. A Gear lock along with a strong electronic Anti theft system, should keep the burglars away.
That is far from the truth and if you seriously think that a gear lock will prevent your car from being stolen then you are just kidding yourself.

The gear lock may help deter or slow down a thief but they will certainly (100%) not prevent your car from being stolen. Even the Thatcham approved ones in the UK only slow a thief down for a couple of minutes. I doubt that the pin type locks are tested to Thatcham standards or would be capable of withstanding a determined attack by a serious thief for more than 30seconds.
Old 16th May 2006, 00:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivor
How about gear locks manufactured by a reputed group like Pricol?

http://www.xenos.co.in/Gearshift.html
They look like the generic rubbish from Taiwan/China to me. Do not get fooled by laser cut keys etc. Vauxhall (GM brand in UK) used to boast about laser cut keys for their cars, their cars were amongst the most stolen in the UK.

The actual lock also looks very crude. http://www.autolok.co.uk/ in the UK make a lock which is very popular (again it is not very effective) but acts as a visual deterrant to the budding thief. It looks a lot better than those pin type locks.

If you check the link I provided ( http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product_test/46251/steering_locks.html ) you will notice that even the best steering locks had an attack time of less than 2 minutes.
Old 16th May 2006, 00:07   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head

Lets Ask Mr Bean .... He has the same in his Fiat Mini.
Old 16th May 2006, 00:15   #13
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Bigman is right nothing is foolproof .. other than actually carrying the steering along but hey theives might have a spare steering wheel with an adjustable hub

But are our indian theives as talented as them brits ??? lol

So like i said b4 park in a safe place to begin with.
Old 16th May 2006, 00:27   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa
Bigman is right nothing is foolproof .. other than actually carrying the steering along but hey theives might have a spare steering wheel with an adjustable hub

How about a detachable engine.

I would not dismiss the talents of pucca Indian thieves. They are up there with the best.
Old 16th May 2006, 03:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa

Oh dont even think about it twice...If the brit expets take 60secs to break, Indian sadakchap thief will do the same job in 10secs!!!

It happens only in India.

Most Viewed