Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2013, 18:41   #1
BHPian

Angels & Demons - The first mod to the Figo

So, I've been ranting out here that the Figo headlamps are mere candlesticks enclosed in clear plastic. I've had a difficult time driving at night due to two reasons

1. I have something called a blue-dot cataract which creates a burst / halo around oncoming headlights (especially on high beam)

2. Bangalore trucks and lorries have decided that they'll go ninja i.e. they shall have no lights or reflectors in the back and shall move along stealthily at 20kmph in the NICE corridor.

So, having to drive a 100kms each day for the better part of the week, I decided to change the headlights. Parthasarathig, who's a member here, was quite helpful in providing some valuable information. We exchanged PMs and I got hooked.

Product chosen - Genome Projector lights - 2.8 inches with Demon eyes - Red color with white Angel Eyes. Also, blacked out headlights.

Step 1 - Went to visit the Reliance Autozone in HSR Layout and they had the Genome branded lights that I wanted. Gave me a small discount but I was anyways going to do it.

Step 2 - Blackmail the SO to part with some cash. So, this came across as a Valentine's day present! (yeah.. don't start there!)

Step 3 - Asked a whole lot of questions to both the Reliance guy as well as the installer. Wanted to do this Wednesday and couldn't as he didn't get the black spray. So fixed it for Saturday.

Saturday was busy as usual but I pretty much dived out of the house (and the responsibilities) for about 4 hours. The install itself was quite smooth. They got the lights fitted. I also blacked out my headlights and so that took an additional 45 minutes. Here are the pictures:

The car prior to the modification - regular headlights

Angels & Demons - The first mod to the Figo-imag0889-large.jpg

Left headlight

Angels & Demons - The first mod to the Figo-imag0890-large.jpg

Right headlight

Angels & Demons - The first mod to the Figo-imag0892-large.jpg

Low beam

Angels & Demons - The first mod to the Figo-imag0894-large.jpg

High beam

Angels & Demons - The first mod to the Figo-imag0895-large.jpg

First impressions

Product

Quite bright but takes about 30 seconds to warm up to temperature. The Angel eyes with the Demon eyes are surely a show-stopper. The low beam and the high beam are a good switch over i.e. its not an incremental light up. The high beam pretty much blasts the dark road ahead with a clear ray of light. The low beams are more the enough for driving on our roads. The lights retain their levelling feature and so I kept the focus on 0 so that I don't irritate oncoming vehicles. But the ones who decided to light my car got lighted instead. (sorry, I get quite angry about cars with high-beams).

Store

Reliance Autozone, HSR layout has some good guys. Though my installer came from somewhere else, the store guys were quire professional and helped me through the process. They just didn't leave the installer to do his job but kept a close eye on the proceedings which I liked. The slight negatives - the minimal parking area in front of store. They have a basement parking where most of the work gets done. But sometimes, it can get crowded in there. Yesterday, when they were working on mine, we had a Ford Ikon, a Ford Fiesta, a Quanto and a City which stopped by for nitrogen. So, its a tight squeeze. Especially, weekends would be busy, I assume. Would go there again.

Installation

The guy, Ijaz, is pretty good. He did the installation patiently and didn't hurry. Even when sometimes I asked him if something was enough (like the paint drying), he'd wait a bit more to make sure everything was sorted. And he keeps checking with you to make sure you're happy with how its shaping up. So, that's a definite plus.

Cost

Genome Kit - 15k
Spray painting headlights - 2.5k (thought this was way too steep)

If you want to do this yourself or buy directly from Genome, the price is 12.5k for the same and they'll send an installer to your place for the work. That's my understanding. I didn't want to take the risk of some random guy doing the work and then disappearing and hence went through Reliance Autozone. 1 year complete warranty is provided for the product including bulbs.

Overall, very happy with the product, the installation and the service. Hope this helps me see better at night. Thanks to Parthasarathig for the valuable help and pointers. And keeping my fingers crossed that the Ford service guys won't raise a stink regarding warranty when I visit next.
Mad Max is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th February 2013, 18:54   #2
BHPian

Re: Angels & Demons - The first mod to the Figo

Hey Mad Max,
So finally you took the plunge and got yourself these projectors. The Reliance was the better option for the money and headache free also.

Do keep updating this thread regularly so we know how its shaping up for you. Also can you post pictures in the dark, taken from inside your car with the headlamp on? Want to see how good the throw of the light is.

The warm up time is normal and its even there in the JC road one, but that only occurs during the first light up.

All in all, this is looking very good on the figo. Can you tell which brand of HID bulbs have been placed in the projectors?

Cheers. Drive safe.

P.S i think you've confused the right and left headlamps in the pictures above LOL.
Old 25th February 2013, 09:45   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Overall, very happy with the product, the installation and the service. Hope this helps me see better at night. Thanks to Parthasarathig for the valuable help and pointers. And keeping my fingers crossed that the Ford service guys won't raise a stink regarding warranty when I visit next.
The car's eyes looks good

I know that the choice of headlights is completely a personal thing, however I have been driving my figo since 3 years now and honestly the stalk lamps are decent. Changing it to the one you have does it really make that much a difference? Probably a picture of it in the night from the inside may help.

Also due to these new lights would there be any issues on the headlight glass? I have seen vehicles where they eventually start to melt due to the heat generated!
Old 25th February 2013, 11:37   #4
BHPian

The demon eyes looks awesome. So do you say the focus on low beam is brighter now ?
Do post pic of front portion of car with both demon eyes. Also picture of the car in broad day light. Just qurious how the blackned headlamps look with headlamp switched off.
Thanks in advance.
Meanwhile is the colour temperature is 4200k or 6000k ?
Old 25th February 2013, 11:48   #5
BHPian

Angel eyes look great. Can you post a picture of beam throw if possible? Like how is the spread on road.
Old 25th February 2013, 11:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Nice mod, I understand the workmanship is spot on however, were the headlight assembly sealed properly. Please do report if you observe any dust collection or after a pressure wash if you observe condensation inside the headlamps.

Also please post the low beam & high beam both from inside the car as well as from a distance outside the car (to check on glare)
Old 25th February 2013, 12:35   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumathindra View Post
I have been driving my figo since 3 years now and honestly the stalk lamps are decent. Changing it to the one you have does it really make that much a difference? Probably a picture of it in the night from the inside may help.

Also due to these new lights would there be any issues on the headlight glass? I have seen vehicles where they eventually start to melt due to the heat generated!
There would not be a chance of the glass melting due to the Projector setup. That actually happens when you put up 100/90W bulbs in place of the stock 60/55W. The additional heat generated from the higher wattage bulbs actually has its effects on the plastic headlight assembly, both the reflector and the front glass (plastic actually).

@Mad Max : would you please share further details about the HID bulbs, the ballast etc used. Secondly, is there so much difference to justify the additional costs / risks involved.
Old 15th March 2013, 19:31   #8
BHPian

Hey Mad Max any updates? How much improvement have you noticed in night driving? Also any quirks or any problems with the system?
Old 11th April 2014, 10:16   #9
BHPian

Ford Figo - white specks / dots in projector headlamp glass area

Hi guys,

Need your help resolving an issue with the headlights glass area of my Ford Figo. Please refer to the below thread on the Genome projector installation.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-mod-figo.html

So, after a year or so, I notice that the headlight glass area has developed some spots - like dots on the glass area. I am unable to identify what caused this. I am attaching some pictures below for your reference.

Angels & Demons - The first mod to the Figo-img_20140410_224249.jpg

Angels & Demons - The first mod to the Figo-img_20140410_224300.jpg

Angels & Demons - The first mod to the Figo-img_20140410_224337.jpg

Angels & Demons - The first mod to the Figo-img_20140410_224344.jpg

Angels & Demons - The first mod to the Figo-img_20140410_224422.jpg

Angels & Demons - The first mod to the Figo-img_20140410_224430.jpg

As you can see, there are these white spots, almost like dust particles on the headlights. This definitely diffracts the light as it comes out of the projectors.

Anyways, I called up Ijaz, the installer, who was travelling and so finally, this Monday, he sent someone to look into this at the HSR Reliance autozone. .

The guy came, opened the headlights and cleaned it with a glass cleaner. He did do a thorough job. But, as you can see from the pictures taken after the cleaning procedure, the problem still persists.

Now, he mentions that we can do a "glass buffing" of the headlamp glass area. I am a bit wary when someone mentions "buffing" and so I want to know your advice on this.

1. Do I get a glass buffing done and will that solve this issue?
2. Are there any specific guidance on the glass buffing that I should look out for?
3. Any idea where I can get such a buffing done in HSR / Sarjapur / Koramangala area?
4. If that doesn't work, what are my alternatives?

The last resort is to get new glass enclosures from Ford - I am not sure if I want to do that yet.

Please help with your suggestions. Thanks in advance!

P.S -

1. Reliance guys were totally useless when it came to issues. They actually asked ME for the number of "whoever did that installation saar". Yep. Atrocious

2. Removing the headlights in the Figo is one of the most elaborate / complex setups - remove front bumper, remove screws from behind the wheel-well, remove screws on top of the headlights ..Ugh! Ford.
Old 11th April 2014, 10:45   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: Ford Figo - white specks / dots in projector headlamp glass area

This is pretty normal. Comes from stone chips or high speed impact of little particles on the headlight over a period of time especially on highways. Simply get the headlight polished. They seem really minor in your case. Perhaps you can try using toothpaste on your own. Yes toothpaste. It actually works Just search for a few videos on youtube there will be tons.

Cheers!
Old 11th April 2014, 10:49   #11
BHPian

Thanks Ishaan. My concern is that I believe that they are on the inside. The outside feels (to a finger nail dragged across the surface) smooth. The inside also feels the same but I am not sure if its an outside issue. I'll be brushing my car with Colgate tonight!
Old 11th April 2014, 12:39   #12
BHPian

This is nothing to do with Projector i believe, cos i'am having this on my Figo too which runs on stock watt bulbs.
Old 11th April 2014, 22:36   #13
BHPian

Drive Addict - does it bother you at all? I need to stop being such an OCD person. But I recollect that the headlamps were clear when the stock setup was on. My first guess (and wrong one at that) was the projectors were heating up the glass area and somehow this happened.
Old 14th April 2014, 06:37   #14
BHPian

The toothpaste trick didn't work.. :( it's still got those spots there. Any other ideas? Will the buffing actually work?
Old 14th April 2014, 08:37   #15
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
The toothpaste trick didn't work.. :( it's still got those spots there. Any other ideas? Will the buffing actually work?
AFAIK and IIRC, 3M guys do take of the headlight issues like the one you are facing.

They do restore the original look of the headlamps. Do visit them to see what they can do for this.

Anurag.

Most Viewed