Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2013, 13:36   #76
BHPian

Re: Building a G16b - Turbocharged + ITBs

Hello Binz
Going by your customization experience, I would love to have your suggestion.
I have a Linea T-jet Plus with a turbo charged petrol head and was thinking of getting an intercooler fitted with performance exhaust and free flow air filters.
I would love to have your opinion on the following:
1. Fitting an intercooler with an existing turbo would approximately give how much boost to the BHP from the current 118?
2. Fitting free flow air filters would lead to dust accumulation in engine?
3. And with the modifications you have here , what kind of fuel efficiency does this car give you ?

Cheers!!!
Old 3rd May 2013, 14:02   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarpreet99 View Post
Hey binz, Thanks for the quick response. Do tell me more about the Alpha-N upgrade, it is indeed very interesting. would appreciate if you can share more on it (without giving away trade secrets of course). I have your number from our interaction on a different forum, and will call you some time for a meet up.

Looking forward to a free test ride, we can also measure up the performance of each others' cars: I have a swift 1.6 turbo job
No trade secrets here, generally on ITB setups and setups and setups with low vaccum signal, throttle position is used to determine fueling and ignition. Turbo setups on the other hand use manifold pressure to determine the same.

This setup having itbs as well as a turbocharger would require a system that would work off throttle position at lower rpms and switchover to manifold pressure once the boost comes in. If this wasn't a daily drive setup, we could have made do with just the map sensor but since fuel economy is important as is part throttle response, new firmware for the RD 0901 is being developed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I am not an auto person, but still can appreciate the beauty of such a build. Of my existence on the forum when I joined, I did not even know, such things could be done. Then folks pointed to Vikram's Turbo charged Petrol Swift and I was

And now this! Wow! I hope I can at least learn to understand/appreciate the basics at least. The beauty is off course not to mention

We are all here to learn , thank you for the kind words!

Last edited by binz : 3rd May 2013 at 14:06.
binz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2013, 17:01   #78
BHPian

Excellent build and appreciate your attitude Binoy on taking time and giving info. Would love to see a acceleration video of the beast.
Old 3rd May 2013, 18:43   #79
BHPian

Thanks for the info, the switchover is really important for daily drives in the blore rush hour traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
new firmware for the RD 0901 is being developed.
must get my hands on this new firmware!!!
Old 4th May 2013, 01:10   #80
BHPian

Binoy, this is simply awesome and gives fellow Baleno owners like me a lot of inspiration. However am sure the question on a lot of minds is what's the cost we would be looking at if we decided to turbo charge our cars? An approx figure would help.

If not on the forum Atleast PM?

Last edited by Rehaan : 4th May 2013 at 12:59. Reason: Fixing strange para breaks
Addy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2013, 01:24   #81
BHPian

I second what @Addy has mentioned regarding the cost.

@Binz, I seriously doubt if anybody would tear the car apart to do such exciting modifications. This requires lot of knowledge, urge and risk taking attitude apart from good bank balances. I have been looking to do a simple free flow exhaust mod on my Baleno but lack proper guidance. Internet gives me lot of pointers and I am thoroughly confused. It was something regarding the O2 sensor reading values from only cylinder and I dropped the idea.

Great work Binz.

[P.S Would love to feast my eyes on a snap of your modified instrument cluster - idle or with values and backlight. Thank you.]
Old 5th May 2013, 00:47   #82
BHPian

Firstly, congratulations on this really epically awesome mod.

Secondly, :O. I'm completely blown away by what you've done here. I'm a HUGE petrol-head but didn't ever think something like this would be possible (in India), and not on a car that I've never really considered to be much. Thanks for the enlightenment and the lesson in humility!

Can't wait to see final pics, a video of what's already been mentioned earlier and I suspect practical info on the daily driving bits;

Daily Average Mileage output of the car?
HP at the wheels?
0-100 timing?
City handling given the JUMP in power?
And if it's not too rude of me to ask, a tentative cost approximation of how much this cost you to do?

Thanks for the inspiration! <3

Last edited by Bingeljell : 5th May 2013 at 00:52. Reason: Forgot to add context in a sentence.
Old 5th May 2013, 01:46   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrage View Post
Excellent build and appreciate your attitude Binoy on taking time and giving info. Would love to see a acceleration video of the beast.
Thanks, videos will be up soon. Hope to finish running the car in tomorrow and take up the boost first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy View Post
Binoy, this is simply awesome and gives fellow Baleno owners like me a lot of inspiration. However am sure the question on a lot of minds is what's the cost we would be looking at if we decided to turbo charge our cars? An approx figure would help.

If not on the forum Atleast PM?
A daily drive setup with new parts should cost you a little under two lakhs, though there are some members who have put together setups for a third of that amount. For the baleno,you could look at the zage turbo/manifold and build a complete a setup around that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead_chn View Post
@Binz, I seriously doubt if anybody would tear the car apart to do such exciting modifications. This requires lot of knowledge, urge and risk taking attitude apart from good bank balances. I have been looking to do a simple free flow exhaust mod on my Baleno but lack proper guidance. Internet gives me lot of pointers and I am thoroughly confused. It was something regarding the O2 sensor reading values from only cylinder and I dropped the idea.
Great work Binz.
[P.S Would love to feast my eyes on a snap of your modified instrument cluster - idle or with values and backlight. Thank you.]
The modifications section has been pretty dead lately, there are some huge builds happening around the country but the owners prefer to keep them low key. This build happened with parts that were lying unused, so it isn't really about bank balance here. In fact, the only parts that were bought were the smaller things like heat wrap, vaccuum tubes, silicon hoses, intercooler, injectors.

The FFE thread should clear your doubts.

As for the picture:

Race Dynamics' Baleno Build-up: ITBs/Turbocharged - Re-dynoed @ 256 WHP!-image4232461195.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingeljell View Post
Firstly, congratulations on this really epically awesome mod.

Secondly, :O. I'm completely blown away by what you've done here. I'm a HUGE petrol-head but didn't ever think something like this would be possible (in India), and not on a car that I've never really considered to be much. Thanks for the enlightenment and the lesson in humility!

Can't wait to see final pics, a video of what's already been mentioned earlier and I suspect practical info on the daily driving bits;

Daily Average Mileage output of the car?
HP at the wheels?
0-100 timing?
City handling given the JUMP in power?
And if it's not too rude of me to ask, a tentative cost approximation of how much this cost you to do?

Thanks for the inspiration! <3
Thanks. Will pass on your words to the folks who worked on the car the last two months. Trust me when I say it drives as good as it looks and sounds even better!

To answer your questions,

Mileage: No idea. Presently driving without a fuel gauge/speedo/odo. It was 7kmpl last I checked, it should go up considerably with the new ecu firmware.

Wheel HP/0-100: The engine is still being run in.

Handling: The tyres are fantastic, a lot of work pending with the suspension though before i can comment.

Cost to me: Like I said earlier, a lot of parts were lying unused, the turbo was given to me by a member here .. you get the drift!

Last edited by binz : 5th May 2013 at 01:48.
binz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2013, 09:57   #84
BHPian

Do you have an option to dim the instrument cluster? This can get tiring for the eyes on longer drives in the night on a highway.
Old 5th May 2013, 11:12   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by killjoy View Post
Do you have an option to dim the instrument cluster? This can get tiring for the eyes on longer drives in the night on a highway.
Brightness and contrast are adjustable. It doesn't hurt the eyes one bit. The picture makes it look brighter than it is.
binz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2013, 08:38   #86
BHPian

Quote:
The FFE thread should clear your doubts.

As for the picture:
Thank you Binz. I will search for the thread here on FFE.
Old 18th May 2013, 13:14   #87
Senior - BHPian

It's been a little over a month since the car was in the road and running in has been complete with no major issues.

It's now time to pus the power up and the next stage of upgrades are going in as I post this.

Stock Baleno injectors are good for upto 180 horsepower with higher fuel pressure. I know this is not the most accurate way to talk about injector limits but its gives you a fair idea of how they perform.

The injectors going in 550cc.
Race Dynamics' Baleno Build-up: ITBs/Turbocharged - Re-dynoed @ 256 WHP!-image2863335245.jpg

Along with the bigger injectors, a walbro 255 lph fuel pump will replace the standard pump
Race Dynamics' Baleno Build-up: ITBs/Turbocharged - Re-dynoed @ 256 WHP!-image3834823785.jpg

Fuel tank removed
Race Dynamics' Baleno Build-up: ITBs/Turbocharged - Re-dynoed @ 256 WHP!-image4021227256.jpg

Walbro pump and Stock fuel pump
Race Dynamics' Baleno Build-up: ITBs/Turbocharged - Re-dynoed @ 256 WHP!-image3541107140.jpg

The first thing one would wonder looking at the bigger injectors is whether this car is still going to return decent fuel economy. The answer is yes, the Race dynamics 0901 can control injector open time with resolution of 0.001 milliseconds.
Earlier offered only on the mil-spec race ecu's, the baleno will be the first street car to run such precise fueling control.
binz is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th May 2013, 02:25   #88
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

A "military spec" race ECU? What kind of military races cars?

Those look like DSM injectors. Low impedance? Does the Suzuki come with low impedance from the factory?
Old 19th May 2013, 03:40   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavt View Post
A "military spec" race ECU? What kind of military races cars?

Those look like DSM injectors. Low impedance? Does the Suzuki come with low impedance from the factory?
Well the Sri Lankan military does - I had the pleasure of racing with a Colonel from their army too. Looking for a picture of that unit, will put it up with details.

These injectors are honestly nothing fancy as you've pointed out. I didn't want to invest in good injectors till we establish what the bottom end can take. Suzuki injectors are high impedance and so are these.
Old 19th May 2013, 15:55   #90
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The answer is yes, the Race dynamics 0901 can control injector open time with resolution of 0.001 milliseconds.
Below a certain time interval, wouldn't the limitation be based on the performance of the injector, rather than the ECU? Also, for 'nothing-special' injectors, wouldn't that limit be a lot higher than 0.001 milliseconds? Roughly what would it be?

Thanks,
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th May 2013 at 16:10.

Most Viewed