Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2014, 21:22   #151
Senior - BHPian

re: Race Dynamics' Baleno Build-up: ITBs/Turbocharged - Re-dynoed @ 256 WHP!

Hi,
Given
Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
The entire bottom end was meticulously measured following which the crank girdle was drawn up in 3d using solidworks.
and the quality of thought behind every effort, am surprised that these

Putting a part which isn't supposed to be there in the first place always throws up its own set of challenges and this wasn't any different.

Quote:
  • The main caps had raised markings which had to be machined down in order to have a flat surface.
  • The design of the main caps required the girdle to be further machined at the center in order to clear the caps.
  • 4mm Shims needed to be machined to fit between the main caps and girdle along the axis of the main studs.
  • The girdle had to be machined once more to accommodate the crank sensor, while leaving enough material to arrest oil seepage.
  • Longer main bolts were sourced
were not forseen or anticipated.

Am I missing something?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 16th January 2014, 01:27   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Given

and the quality of thought behind every effort, am surprised that these

Putting a part which isn't supposed to be there in the first place always throws up its own set of challenges and this wasn't any different.

were not forseen or anticipated.

Am I missing something?

Regards
Sutripta
The first thing that popped into mind while reading your post was this quote:

'In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is'

Most of it was expected - things like the size of the shims required could not be assessed until the plate was cut and bolted down. Post which the shims we're not made to the dia we specified and had to be redone. I was trying to list down the sequence of events post fitting the girdle; guess I should've been more specific.

To give you a idea of something that wasn't anticipated:

The crank refused to turn over with the girdle fitted. And occasionally without the girdle it would get stuck as well - at random. The clearance on the bearings were spot on. It would turn over perfectly without the oil pump, however with the oil pump it would catch at random. Oil pump issue right? Well apparently not; same issue used to crop up at random with different oil pumps new and old. Thrust washer was inspected - Fine. Torque on the main bolts was checked, new bolts were put in and torqued. Crank was measured extensively and it turned out to be an issue with the oil pump drive on the crank which would cause the oil pump to get jammed. Funny right how a stock crank which was running perfectly throws up this problem all of a sudden! The list goes on and on ....

Last edited by binz : 16th January 2014 at 01:41.
binz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2014, 20:26   #153
Senior - BHPian

This
Quote:
The first thing that popped into mind while reading your post was this quote:

'In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is'
I quite agree with, and so quite understand, and relate to

Quote:
The crank refused to turn over with the girdle fitted. And occasionally without the girdle it would get stuck as well - at random. The clearance on the bearings were spot on. It would turn over perfectly without the oil pump, however with the oil pump it would catch at random. Oil pump issue right? Well apparently not; same issue used to crop up at random with different oil pumps new and old. Thrust washer was inspected - Fine. Torque on the main bolts was checked, new bolts were put in and torqued. Crank was measured extensively and it turned out to be an issue with the oil pump drive on the crank which would cause the oil pump to get jammed. Funny right how a stock crank which was running perfectly throws up this problem all of a sudden!
But the unexpectedness of things like

Quote:
  • The main caps had raised markings which had to be machined down in order to have a flat surface.
  • The design of the main caps required the girdle to be further machined at the center in order to clear the caps.
  • 4mm Shims needed to be machined to fit between the main caps and girdle along the axis of the main studs.
  • The girdle had to be machined once more to accommodate the crank sensor, while leaving enough material to arrest oil seepage.
  • Longer main bolts were sourced
still surprises me.

BTW, how is the girdle being located/ restrained? Oil pan bolts?
In a similar vein, how are the conrod endcaps being located? Any pictures?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 17th January 2014, 11:58   #154

Moderator note: Post edited to fix Quotes, please use Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.

Quote:
Thanks audioholic and inline-six for the nice words and support! We are trying to get the car on the road soon, but after all the months she's being lying idle, we thought we might as well go all out and get her set up for the 'valley run' that happening towards the end of this month.
Are u serious about setting her up for the amby valley run.? Damn! I wanna be there and see how she runs. Especially, given that all the OHC's ruled the valley scene last year. Absence of baleno's in the winners charts did disappoint me. Anyways this year, with this RD monster gearing up for the run, I am damn sure the charts will be complete. If i remember the fastest Vtec from last year did 13.5s. Hoping to see this car in action on the tarmac soon.

P.S

Is wolf's vtec coming too? For the valley run? Pardon me if i have missed something from the older threads. Havent been reading them much lately.

Thanks.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th January 2014 at 12:10.
Old 22nd January 2014, 15:28   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by inline-six View Post
Moderator note: Post edited to fix Quotes, please use Preview before Submitting posts. Thanks.

Are u serious about setting her up for the amby valley run.? Damn! I wanna be there and see how she runs. Especially, given that all the OHC's ruled the valley scene last year. Absence of baleno's in the winners charts did disappoint me. Anyways this year, with this RD monster gearing up for the run, I am damn sure the charts will be complete. If i remember the fastest Vtec from last year did 13.5s. Hoping to see this car in action on the tarmac soon.

P.S

Is wolf's vtec coming too? For the valley run? Pardon me if i have missed something from the older threads. Havent been reading them much lately.

Thanks.
Looks like we wont be participating in the valley run. We don't have the upgrades for the gearbox here yet and the team has been swamped with work since the bike week at Goa. It should take part at the drag in Goa on the 2nd of Feb though.

RD will be sending down a 250whp esteem for the Valley run and it should post some interesting times - watch out for that!
binz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 12:13   #156
Senior - BHPian

Car has been back on the road for a couple of weeks now, all mechanical issues have been identified and sorted and have been spending a lot of time on refinement, aesthetics and reliability. Still to be hooked up is the oil catch can/crankcase ventilation, intercooler spray, twin radiator fans and cam. Also switching over to synthetic oil before we start to push up the power. The exhaust was wrapped again as well.

Clicked a work-in-progress picture which turned out quite well:

Race Dynamics' Baleno Build-up: ITBs/Turbocharged - Re-dynoed @ 256 WHP!-balenowrap.jpeg

Also got a set of Koni struts and king springs which have effectively lowered the car by little over 30mm. The drop has really transformed the stance of the car and all that remains is to take it to the track, setup and explore the limits of the wheel/tyre/suspension combo.

Race Dynamics' Baleno Build-up: ITBs/Turbocharged - Re-dynoed @ 256 WHP!-10253385_10151932190262396_590881362_n.jpg

Last edited by binz : 8th April 2014 at 12:23.
binz is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 13:26   #157
BANNED

Hi

This engine bay pic is such a wallpaper material.
djoel99 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 12:40   #158
Senior - BHPian

hey Binz, have you ever faced bottoming on speed 'humps'? I would have personally put the filter to face front and turbine out the other side. Anyway a clean build. What are the fresh dyno numbers? are you planning screamer setup for the waste gate out?
Old 11th April 2014, 15:31   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
hey Binz, have you ever faced bottoming on speed 'humps'? I would have personally put the filter to face front and turbine out the other side. Anyway a clean build. What are the fresh dyno numbers? are you planning screamer setup for the waste gate out?
Never bottomed out on humps with the 17s, with 215/45, the car sits almost an inch higher than stock - so while it looks slammed it ride height is very similar to a stock car. The suspension is a lot stiffer too so no issues.

Screamer setup remains the same as before, dyno figures coming very soon. Will road test and tune the car first at 1 Bar of boost and then take it up on the dyno and test different cams and cam timings.
binz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 17:06   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Clicked a work-in-progress picture which turned out quite well:
Attachment 1227955
I think the car would look really gorgeous if you can fit a transparent bonnet.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 11th April 2014 at 17:08.
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2014, 12:36   #161
Senior - BHPian

Wow, time has just flown since the last update. The last couple of months have been very eventful and finishing touches are going on as I type this. Race dynamics now has a 4 wheel dyno in-house and the baleno should be on it soon.

A faulty boost controller is causing the delay with the car boosting to 26+ psi in 2nd gear!

Sanjay has taken up a place to pursue all his wild projects and the baleno is now being worked on there. Lots to look forward to!
Race Dynamics' Baleno Build-up: ITBs/Turbocharged - Re-dynoed @ 256 WHP!-imageuploadedbyteambhp1406358159.265424.jpg
binz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th January 2015, 01:50   #162
BHPian

Hey binz,
Just happened to come across your build on the hot threads page and I must say that in absolutely no way does your current setup sound like a 'budget' build, just the LSD sounds mega expensive. I'm glad the turbo and some other components came in for free.

Your build is absolutely beautiful, and I'm glad that the Baleno still is a sleeper. It's a pity that this thread hasn't been updated in a while. Grace us with more posts, please?
Old 27th January 2015, 17:39   #163
Team-BHP Support

Rohan, there have been a few updates here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rag-races.html

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 17:26   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_cherian View Post
Hey binz,
Just happened to come across your build on the hot threads page and I must say that in absolutely no way does your current setup sound like a 'budget' build, just the LSD sounds mega expensive. I'm glad the turbo and some other components came in for free.

Your build is absolutely beautiful, and I'm glad that the Baleno still is a sleeper. It's a pity that this thread hasn't been updated in a while. Grace us with more posts, please?
Hi Rohan, thanks for the much needed kick to keep this thread going!
It still is very much on a budget, while the first turbo came in for free, the present GT30 didn't and was bought with the option to pay in installments

I never bought an LSD, while I was supposed to get one - I'm not too sure if it will still happen.

A lot has happened since my last update, so Ill get straight to it!

September 2014:The car had been parked for a while and with the MOC custom car show being planned we intended to get the car ready for the show. Unfortunately things didn't go as planned and while we did hit 249 HP on the dynaRD dyno (previous was at RRP) the car did not feel right, we had issues with the car overheating and the headgasket (Felpro) gave up on the road.
This was the night before the show. Raj from Powerwheels was very kind to arrange another gasket for us and the gasket was replaced overnight with everthing put back to showcar spec by Sanjay and the Tvara team. We knew however this was a quick fix and the car was not driven hard post the show for a while.

Race Dynamics' Baleno Build-up: ITBs/Turbocharged - Re-dynoed @ 256 WHP!-balenomoc.jpg
Judges for the event Raj Hingorani, Fazal Khan and Karthik Reddy evaluating how things were put together

Fast forward to Jan 2015 and the car was just begging to be driven at the valley run. A good friend had agreed to loan me his set of Hoosier Drag Slicks for the event so we had yet another reason to take part.

Sanjay decided that he wanted to replace the engine's head,so he sourced a replacement and went about making a few key changes to the ports to improve flow. Once done, the head was put back with the standard 'SGP' Head Gasket , standard head bolts and we put it on the dyno again.

Stock vs 20psi on the GT30
Race Dynamics' Baleno Build-up: ITBs/Turbocharged - Re-dynoed @ 256 WHP!-binay-vs-stock.png

The engine felt a whole lot healthier and the dyno proved it. With no other changes apart from the head the engine made a sweet 256hp at the wheels!

Its easy to see the difference made just through improving flow given that nearly all factors barring temperature were the same as the previous run.
The next step would be to improve flow towards the top, the stock cam really shows its limitations post 6500rpm

Given that a standard baleno makes 71Hp at the wheels, we'd taken power up almost three and half times over stock and things looked good.

Next up - The valley run!

Last edited by binz : 26th February 2015 at 17:28.
binz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 21:41   #165
BHPian

Re: Race Dynamics' Baleno Build-up: ITBs/Turbocharged - Re-dynoed @ 256 WHP!

Quote:
Hi Rohan, thanks for the much needed kick to keep this thread going!
Hey binz,
The pleasure's all mine. Building the fastest Indian FWD car is no small feat!

I'm surprised that the stock SGP head gasket can actually withstand 20psi from the GT30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks