Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2006, 12:10   #1
BHPian

Wheel Bearings or tyre noise? - Skoda Octavia

hi guys,
need help regarding my octavia which is a year old and done 22000 kms. i noticed some noice from wheels while driving and felt it increased with speed.
I went to the skoda dealer thinking it might be from wheel bearings coz noise is very similar to the problem, after a manual check up i was told the noise is due to the tyres and that this problem is very common in other skodas as well. infact i was told that the stock tyres which are goodyears have some manufacturing problems and that they have taken it up with the tyre company also.finally i was told the only solution to the noise issue is to get my tyres changed.
are there more skoda owners out there who have faced the same problem?
guys please help and suggest wheather to go for new tyres or get my car checked again for faulty wheel bearings at some other dealer...?
Old 15th May 2006, 12:17   #2
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
are there more skoda owners out there who have faced the same problem?
Yes, I've got the same problem with my Goodyear GSD2's. They have become really noisy and the ride quality has deteriorated a lot.

However, I've not heard this complaint with the OE tyres though. Can you check the date on your tyres and see when they were made (it will be stamped something like for e.g. 2504, where 25 would be the week of manufacture, and 04 the year).

Last edited by Rtech : 15th May 2006 at 12:20.
Old 15th May 2006, 12:25   #3
BHPian

the date on my tyres is 0105 thats jan 2005 .
so i guess then the problem is with the tyres not the wheel bearings????
which tyres should i go for ?????? i have the company fitted alloys which come oe with l&k model
Old 15th May 2006, 12:34   #4
Team-BHP Support

If your tyres are barely a year and a half old, and run only 22,000 km's, its strange that you are getting this noise. But then, I wouldn't put anything past OE tyres.

If it is only your tyres, the noise would vary over different road surfaces. If the noise is always the same on all surfaces, you may want to look deeper into the problem.

If you suspect its your bearings, ask the dealer to put on the wheels/tyres from another car, take a test drive and see if there is any change in the noise.
Old 15th May 2006, 12:58   #5
Senior - BHPian

Yeah autozoniac, even i would suggest you put on a different set of tires and check for the same noise. You can ask the dealer to do that for you or if you want i have my OE tires which had done around 20k with which we can check.

Arush
Old 15th May 2006, 13:05   #6
BHPian

thankx rtec for your suggestions

arush thankx will get in touch with u soon for this issue.

Most Viewed