Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2012, 14:50   #166
BANNED

Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by svdath View Post
But i think that might void the warranty
Check with the dealer, he may allow it want to do the job himself (another 500-1k). Why I say this is that Honda (most finicky) delivered a City to a friend after installing HIDs. Otherwise wait for the warranty to be over.
Old 5th July 2012, 02:39   #167
BHPian

Guys I have two questions.

1. Is it possible to use Philips H7 bulbs and a non-philips ballast? The reason I am asking is because I have 2 H7 bulbs but I do not have the two ballasts. I have searched and for some reason cannot find Philips ballasts anywhere. So, I was wondering if I could use another brand ballast (example Hella). Wanted to know if this would work?

2. My friend wanted to buy H7 Philips Xenon HIDs. This is because his car has stock H7 halogens. Now on the philips website, I see they say their HIDs are compatible with D1S,D1R,D2S,D2R etc. They do not mention any "H" bulb type (for example H7,H1,H4 etc). So, how can my friend buy specifically H7 philips xenon bulbs? Have Philips stopped making them for the "H" bulb types??

Thanks in advance!
Old 5th July 2012, 08:29   #168
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carfreak77
Guys I have two questions.

1. Is it possible to use Philips H7 bulbs and a non-philips ballast? The reason I am asking is because I have 2 H7 bulbs but I do not have the two ballasts. I have searched and for some reason cannot find Philips ballasts anywhere. So, I was wondering if I could use another brand ballast (example Hella). Wanted to know if this would work?

2. My friend wanted to buy H7 Philips Xenon HIDs. This is because his car has stock H7 halogens. Now on the philips website, I see they say their HIDs are compatible with D1S,D1R,D2S,D2R etc. They do not mention any "H" bulb type (for example H7,H1,H4 etc). So, how can my friend buy specifically H7 philips xenon bulbs? Have Philips stopped making them for the "H" bulb types??

Thanks in advance!
The D1S,D1R,D2S,D2R mean whether the hid can be fitted on different types of reflectors and projectors. R means reflectors and S means projector. The bulb socket tyre Will be mentioned on the box itself
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 10:01   #169
BHPian

Hello ,
In total agreement with you about the fact that the HIDs have a mind of their own,specially during the monsoon months ,apart from that the relays tend to conk off regularly . I too had bought it from a dealer at Opera House,a by lane called Avantikabai Gokhale road ( forgot the name of the shop but I think it was Shreeji Accessories).
However I was never too happy with the lights even when they were working ,,it was a bit confusing for me to decode what the problem was as it could be the focusing of the light i.e. how the bulb sits in the holder ,which does make quite a big difference in the way the light is projected on the road or else it could be that the 6000k colour is too milky in appearance for my taste and infact makes the road appear vague. I use the HIDs with the bumper foggies which then made the light colour slightly more suited for my taste.

Thanks
Anosh.F.Dhondy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyance View Post
My personal experience of the Philips HID Conversion Kit 6000K for the Toyota Innova has not been so good. I purchased the Kit from an authorized Philips Retailer here at Opera House, Mumbai in July, 2010 for around 8K. Less than 4 months down, the high beam, got brain of its own and refused to function on demand. 10 months down and the left side Bulb blew and now I have to go back to the stock bulbs, as no replacement is forthcoming from the company.

BTW while they were working, they were really good. Excellent vision, especially on the highways.
Old 14th May 2014, 14:54   #170
BANNED

@anoshdhondy; 6000K is bound to be trouble in wet weather. I will say 4300K is the best for headlamps. For fogs use 3000/2700K.
Old 18th May 2014, 21:03   #171
BHPian

Hello,
I am not clear as to what you actually meant to say,,,were you saying that 6000K is bound to be trouble in wet weather in as that the colour temperature is not suited for the driving in rain? That ofcourse is correct but however the point I was trying to get across that the relay keeps conking off in wet weather.
However you state that the 4300k is the best colour temp then could you please tell me which brands are available for H4 type of bulbs in Mumbai?
I currently have the Philips kit with the ballast so if I get the 4300K bulbs will I need to change the ballast or can I use the same ballast

Thanks
Anosh.F.Dhondy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@anoshdhondy; 6000K is bound to be trouble in wet weather. I will say 4300K is the best for headlamps. For fogs use 3000/2700K.
Old 19th May 2014, 09:36   #172
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoshdhondy View Post
I was trying to get across that the relay keeps conking off in wet weather.
However you state that the 4300k is the best colour temp then could you please tell me which brands are available for H4 type of bulbs in Mumbai?
I have used no relay /loom in my H11 Fog Conversion from 35W Halogen to 55W HiDs (3000K). As for brands there are many available on eBay, etc. Normally, the failures are in the Ballast, and very rarely in the bulb. I managed to damage the base of one bulb, so got the replacement from eBay. As long as you do not go above the wattage of the Ballast no changes are required for the change in the bulb.
Old 28th May 2014, 11:36   #173
BHPian

Hey guys, I had a question.

A relative of mine recently installed a DRL setup and along with that installed projectors with HID (Chinese type) in A fluidic Verna. Now the light throw is not very bad but it's not good either. I was thinking if I could upgrade the HID bulbs to a better quality one while retaining the projector housing. Will that be possible and will I get a good light output? The cutoff as it is now is not a sharp defined one but I guess that's what the chinese projectors give you for the money. I needed better illumination so wil a change of bulb help?
Old 28th May 2014, 12:17   #174
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzone View Post
Hey guys, I had a question.

A relative of mine recently installed a DRL setup and along with that installed projectors with HID (Chinese type) in A fluidic Verna. Now the light throw is not very bad but it's not good either. I was thinking if I could upgrade the HID bulbs to a better quality one while retaining the projector housing. Will that be possible and will I get a good light output? The cutoff as it is now is not a sharp defined one but I guess that's what the chinese projectors give you for the money. I needed better illumination so wil a change of bulb help?
If your projector is not capable of giving a proper cut-off no bulb will make a difference. You will just get incremental improvement which will not really matter in real world usage.
Can your try if its possible to move the bulb back or forth in the housing. The sweet spot may be at a different place.
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2014, 21:05   #175
BHPian

Need some help/suggestion - I have a P8 HID kit (H4) which used to run on my Innova. I was pretty happy with those and when I sold my Innova, i kept them back with me. My new car (Aria) has a double barrel headlamp set up. What i want to understand is, could i use the same ballast and just get a new set of bulbs(H7) and get them working on my new car?
Old 8th August 2014, 21:44   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwik View Post
Need some help/suggestion - I have a P8 HID kit (H4) which used to run on my Innova. I was pretty happy with those and when I sold my Innova, i kept them back with me. My new car (Aria) has a double barrel headlamp set up. What i want to understand is, could i use the same ballast and just get a new set of bulbs(H7) and get them working on my new car?
Yes you can as long as the specs are same. Basically wattage. I have used Philips bulbs on Blesk ballast and have tried other way around too. It works just fine. Don't mix up 35W with 55W though. Ensure the bulbs and ballasts are of same wattage and things should be fine.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2014, 00:51   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiwik View Post
H4's are double beam bulbs.
H7's are single beam bulbs so you will have to get four each of the bulbs and the ballasts.
Since you already have two ballasts, buy two more and four H7 bulbs.
Or you can just buy one set of new bulbs and use your old ballasts for the lowbeams.

Whatever option you choose, go to a good installler.
Jag4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2014, 00:14   #178
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

I just read through the entire 12 pages of this thread. Please could someone confirm if my understanding is correct If I go for a HID Kit with ballast for a H7 bulb setup and later want to change the color temperature (or even bulb type) all I need to do is buy a diff bulb with the desired color temp. (or desired bulb type) as long as the wattage specifications are the same? Which kind of bulbs do I need to purchase? (If my understanding is correct, its Xenon HID bulbs right?)

Another unrelated question: Has anyone installed a HID Kit for a low beam and used Phillips Diamond Vision/Crystal Vision/Osram Night breakers for high beam? I'm asking this because I read HID Kits aren't recommended for High beam, especially with Reflectors. Also has anyone installed different color temperatures for low and High beam? Any experience/inputs would be much appreciated.
Old 10th September 2014, 01:12   #179
Senior - BHPian

I'm looking for H8 3000k HID kit for my fogs. Any idea if they are available here?
Old 10th September 2014, 09:33   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
I'm looking for H8 3000k HID kit for my fogs. Any idea if they are available here?
I have been using 3000k HIDs for the fog lamps in my SX4 since a while now. Was scouting for extreme quality stuff and hence got the HID bulbs from the TRS Distributor (AVS Tuning) in Mumbai. The said bulbs are Morimoto 35w H8. I also got the H8 Morimoto HD Relay Harness which is an optional bit of kit for H8 hid lamps (not a compulsion to use the same), but kind of adds to the safety and performance aspect with built in cube relays and inline protection fuses. Though they also sell extremely good quality high end Digital ASIC Ballasts, i decided to go a step further and order the best possible after-market ballasts from Hyluxtek and hence ordered for their top of the line HYLUX ASIC 2A88 Digital Ballasts.

Best Xenon HID conversion kit-dsc03617.jpg

Best Xenon HID conversion kit-dsc03623.jpg

Best Xenon HID conversion kit-dsc03627.jpg

Best Xenon HID conversion kit-dsc03639.jpg

Best Xenon HID conversion kit-dsc03674.jpg

Best Xenon HID conversion kit-dsc03648.jpg

Best Xenon HID conversion kit-dsc03654.jpg

Hope it helps.
Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 10th September 2014 at 09:36.
prince85 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks