BHPian

Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I did a Fx-R mod on my car recently,this was the break-up

Projectors (Fx-R)-8000
Ballasts (Hylux 35w 3yr warranty)-6000
Harness-3000

I've not included bulbs,shrouds,adapter and the likes.This is what a good setup will set you back by. Kindly stay away from a kit which altogether costs you only 5k or so. You will probably get projectors with such bad optics you wish you'd have stuck with 60/55 halogens.

Can I know as to where you purchased these items from ??? Looking to do a similar mod on my Verna. Also do you know any shops in Bengaluru that would do projector headlights retrofit ????

Thanks,
Aniketh
Old 25th August 2015, 10:15   #212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post
Can I know as to where you purchased these items from ??? Looking to do a similar mod on my Verna. Also do you know any shops in Bengaluru that would do projector headlights retrofit ????

Thanks,
Aniketh
Hi Aniketh,

Most items were sourced from US with only the ballasts from China,but Hylux are the best non-Oem ballasts you can buy. For more details on what,where and how much refer to my thread on Fx-R retrofit in the modifications and accessories section.

There are a few stores that do the installation for a reasonable charge; Satya in Cambridge layout is one.
Old 25th August 2015, 11:48   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhoneycake View Post

Thanks,
Aniketh
Now morimoto projectors are available in india through official distributors. Check out Morimoto India facebook page for the models available.
Old 21st September 2015, 11:49   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

Anybody here using P8 hids? I would like to know how good they are. Planning to upgrade to HIDs.
Old 21st September 2015, 15:33   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Anybody here using P8 hids? I would like to know how good they are. Planning to upgrade to HIDs.
Hi Naveen. Using them on my Laura, City and the wife's old Brio. No issues till date and have been happy with their performance as well.

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2015, 23:24   #216
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Hi Naveen. Using them on my Laura, City and the wife's old Brio. No issues till date and have been happy with their performance as well.

Rohan
Hey Rohan !

How much did the kit cost you ? Are they 55w or 35w ?
Also, how long have you been using them for and any did you get anything replaced under warranty ?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions. I am mighty confused between Osram(9k), P8 and some MXR(5.5k) brand which Motor Concept speaks very highly about.

Also, Morimoto Kits(11k) through their Delhi dealer were on my list but after reading about ballasts failing in another thread, decided to drop them.

Last edited by Jag4 : 19th November 2015 at 23:25.
Old 19th November 2015, 23:40   #217
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag4 View Post
Hey Rohan !

Also, how long have you been using them for and any did you get anything replaced under warranty ?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions. I am mighty confused between Osram(9k), P8 and some MXR(5.5k) brand which Motor Concept speaks very highly about.

Also, Morimoto Kits(11k) through their Delhi dealer were on my list but after reading about ballasts failing in another thread, decided to drop them.
The Brand he recommended would be MXS, however I don't find their HID's satisfactory.
You can also go for a pair from http://www.xenonplanet.in/, a friend ordered from them and was happy with the performance and the owner was communicative when I had a query.
devilwearsprada is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2015, 21:51   #218
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilwearsprada View Post
The Brand he recommended would be MXS, however I don't find their HID's satisfactory.
You can also go for a pair from http://www.xenonplanet.in/, a friend ordered from them and was happy with the performance and the owner was communicative when I had a query.
Hello !

Ballasts on these may/may not go kaput, however some do very frequently and in that case replacements would be difficult as they are based in Chandigarh, don't want the hassle. Still keeping this in mind while checking other options.

Last edited by Jag4 : 20th November 2015 at 21:52.
Old 21st November 2015, 09:50   #219
BHPian

Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Quote:
Hey Rohan !

Hi, the P8 costed about 8.5k 2 years back. Not sure of the price now. My Laura and the Brio are both on the 55w P8 kits. The kit on the Laura has been on since March 2014 with no issues. On brio since July 2013 with zero issues. I have been extremely happy with P8. Yet to try osram so can't comment.

Hope this helps.

Rohan

P.S. The city kit was also put around the same time as brio. No issues there as well.

Last edited by RohanDheman : 21st November 2015 at 09:51.
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 15:35   #220
BHPian

Quote:
As someone else asked on the automotive lights forum for HID lights/kits, I am flabbergasted by dealers charging close to 6-7K for 55W HID kits (with ballasts). A complete set of HID/Xenon spot lights (5 or 7 inch) with ballasts can be bought online for close to 15K. Is it not a good option to retain the stock and use the Aux beams for night driving. Just my 2 cents
Old 23rd November 2015, 15:51   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
As someone else asked on the automotive lights forum for HID lights/kits, I am flabbergasted by dealers charging close to 6-7K for 55W HID kits (with ballasts). A complete set of HID/Xenon spot lights (5 or 7 inch) with ballasts can be bought online for close to 15K. Is it not a good option to retain the stock and use the Aux beams for night driving. Just my 2 cents
Neither have I recommended HID's in stock headlamps, nor have I suggested the other option.
Old 23rd November 2015, 16:01   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Neither have I recommended HID's in stock headlamps, nor have I suggested the other option.
Did not specifically imply that you did. The post was only a question to the forum on the viability of HID kits versus full on HID Aux Lamps - considering how people seem to flock towards getting their stock headlamps upgraded with HIDs.
Old 23rd November 2015, 17:22   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Did not specifically imply that you did. The post was only a question to the forum on the viability of HID kits versus full on HID Aux Lamps - considering how people seem to flock towards getting their stock headlamps upgraded with HIDs.
Aux lamps aren't for all, since they don't look good on all cars. On top of that, there are good projector + HID combo's which are road legal.
Old 29th November 2015, 14:40   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Arguing the viability of HID kits or Aux Lamps in the specific thread dedicated to HID conversion Kits seems like a moot point, doesn't it ?

Since you are a fairly new member, please take my advice and try not to spam threads with extraneous posts. This is not a public grievance forum, it's an automobile forum and everything related to automobiles will be discussed here.
You have every right to not subscribe to my opinion on a particular issue but so do I.

Thanks.

Last edited by Jag4 : 29th November 2015 at 14:43.
Old 29th November 2015, 15:19   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Arguing the viability of HID kits or Aux Lamps in the specific thread dedicated to HID conversion Kits seems like a moot point, doesn't it ?

Since you are a fairly new member, please take my advice and try not to spam threads with extraneous posts. This is not a public grievance forum, it's an automobile forum and everything related to automobiles will be discussed here.
You have every right to not subscribe to my opinion on a particular issue but so do I.

Thanks.
Being a new member has absolutely no bearing on the quality or value of genuine opinion expressed above. This is a "HID conversion kit" thread and in my view it is certainly valid to educate the forum on potential issues in using HID conversion kits with standard OEM headlamps.

It is a very common and known fact and problem that HID kits used in standard OEM's may/will lead to burning out reflectors or bleaching the reflectors white AND sometimes melt reflectors near the base of the lamp. Technically, this is due to low ventilation, as the standard OEM are designed for low Watt ratings.

Discharge lights or HID's put out quite large amounts of UV and no matter what the manufacturers do to make plastics resistant, they will all eventually succumb to the effects of UV and will be further exacerbated if HID are used. UV and heat are issues are associated with all high power lamps to one extent or another ---> This is why in automotive world they tend to keep the wattages down. Otherwise it starts to get very expensive very fast. There is a reason for which standard headlamps offer low wattages.

It will be foolish to think that Joe Blogs would prefer a HID conversion kit if they had known of potential damages it could cause in future to their standard headlamps. I merely, tried to educate the readers of this forum to make a balanced decision - of considering between standalone Aux lamps and HID conversion kits.

Whether my statement is/was a moot point - is a bit like asking whether panadol or paracetemol is better to treat a sick person instead of finding out the cause for his/her sickness.
Raikkonen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed