Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2016, 23:17   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

I wqas told a few pages earlier that I can use a HID bulb in a projector meant for Halogens so Im a bit confused now.

Just asking out of curiosity since 100/90 has a higher output than 60/55 but is a lot cheaper than HID bulbs + ballasts so I thought it could be a middle ground for upgrades say if you had projectors with 60/55 halogens and wanted more light or had a 100/90 setup and wanted more focus.
Im not sure about the heat problem you mentioned though since projectors dont have a reflective coating that could peel or blacken, are you saying the heat will result in lower bulb life ?
Old 19th January 2016, 13:00   #272
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post
Thanks so much Naveen for your input.

I got really confused talking to these people. Let me talk to those distributors and see whether I can get hold of one from them. T

Many thanks. Much Appreciated.
Finally I got hold of both the Dealers, as some of the numbers on the page shared are apparently not in use.

To my astonishment, AM Distributors, who are also the HELLA distributors in the region answered my call. The person on the other side of the phone was not keen on talking to me and somehow told me that they sell this at Rs. 6,500/- per kit. Brilliant pricing, I will surely have to get a personal inspection done.

I just got to talk to the person at VTM : but here I landed up on some person (according to him) has been dealing with HIDs for around 5 years and he suggested me to go for HIDs with CAN BUS technology. And they install this with P8. The whole thing would come up to 10,500. And without CAN BUS it would be around 8,000.

http://betterautomotivelighting.com/...-hid-ballasts/

Heard about this term for the first time. Is this worth the premium of Rs. 2000 ?
Old 19th January 2016, 13:41   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterjim13 View Post

Heard about this term for the first time. Is this worth the premium of Rs. 2000 ?
Unless your car comes with CAN BUS and the headlights are monitored, there is no benefit to using a CAN BUS ballast. The CAN BUS is a network within the
car's electronics that allow communication between various computers on the car. One of the functions of the CAN BUS is to monitor the bulbs and ensure they are working and alert the driver if they are not.

In case of my car, FIAT Linea T-Jet, the CAN BUS monitors only critical lighting that can go unnoticed if blown. It monitors only turn indicators, tail & brake lights and parking lights. It does not monitor interior lights, third brake light, head lights and fog lights. Logic being - if any of these lights blow, they will be noticed or they are not critical for safe operation of the car.

When the CAN BUS detects a failed bulb, by measuring the resistance of that circuit, it then turns on a warning light in the console as well as displays a message in the MID. It also sends a pulsating current to the circuit in an attempt to turn on the failed light. This would cause the HIDs to flicker like a strobe light, if they are monitored.

I am running quad projectors with regular 35W ballasts in my car without issues or errors for the past one year. Since my headlights are not monitored by the CAN BUS, I do not need a CAN BUS ballast. However, if I try putting an LED bulb in my tail light cluster, then that bulb will flicker and I will get an error, as the resistance is lower than expected. In that case, I will need to add an error cancelling resistor to the circuit.
PatchyBoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th January 2016, 14:26   #274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I wqas told a few pages earlier that I can use a HID bulb in a projector meant for Halogens so Im a bit confused now.
Most Projectors are made for HID, you can also use a single filament halogen in them. Many cars in India are exported with HID, but sold locally with Halogen to cut cost.

Quote:
Just asking out of curiosity since 100/90 has a higher output than 60/55 but is a lot cheaper than HID bulbs + ballasts so I thought it could be a middle ground for upgrades say if you had projectors with 60/55 halogens and wanted more light or had a 100/90 setup and wanted more focus.
Halogen's in projectors are not 60/55, but H7's with a single 60W filament. The high low operation is done by a shield that shifts and shades part of the focus. A 35W HID provides about 65% more light than a 60W halogen.
I dont think you will be able to fit a H4 in a Projector meant for a H7

Quote:
Im not sure about the heat problem you mentioned though since projectors dont have a reflective coating that could peel or blacken, are you saying the heat will result in lower bulb life ?
The projectors do have a reflector coating at the rear and a lense in front.

Rahul

Last edited by Rahul Rao : 19th January 2016 at 14:28.
Old 20th January 2016, 00:09   #275
BANNED

Hello Friends I need serious advice on Xenon/HID bulbs . I have Verna Fluidic 4s with projector Headlamps as standard but the bulbs in the stock headlight are weak and may be they are halogen bulbs. So the thing is I want to upgrade them to Xenon bulbs, can you advise which one should i go for and which would be safe and wont need any relay or something and wont affect the cars electrical's negatively.. Regards
Old 20th January 2016, 04:39   #276
BHPian

Hello honey_starhoney

I have also verna 4s and i got osram 9005 4200 K HID conversion kit installed . There was no splicing of wires , light difference is way way better as compared to OEM bulbs . Get the osram kit as philips dont import the 9005 4300 K hid conversion kit in india .

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey_starhoney View Post
Hello Friends I need serious advice on Xenon/HID bulbs . I have Verna Fluidic 4s with projector Headlamps as standard but the bulbs in the stock headlight are weak and may be they are halogen bulbs. So the thing is I want to upgrade them to Xenon bulbs, can you advise which one should i go for and which would be safe and wont need any relay or something and wont affect the cars electrical's negatively.. Regards
Safari_Beast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 06:18   #277
BANNED

Hello fellow members,
My query is this - I want to install HID/projector lighting for my 2004 Scorpio, which I am otherwise very happy with. The current lamps are 100/90 watts, and they are working fine, but with the proliferation of eye-dazzling lights on the road today, I feel blinded at times. I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions on this issue.
Old 20th January 2016, 08:37   #278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Hello fellow members,
My query is this - I want to install HID/projector lighting for my 2004 Scorpio, which I am otherwise very happy with. The current lamps are 100/90 watts, and they are working fine, but with the proliferation of eye-dazzling lights on the road today, I feel blinded at times. I'd appreciate any advice/suggestions on this issue.
Only way you can escape the blinding lights on road is to NOT look at them. Instead look at the low-left-front part (usually we look at left-front-light part) and not directly into the other car's beam. 100/90 which you have would be good already, try out on a deserted road to check the real effectiveness of those.

HID upgrade would be a bit different, i.e. white light and with projector, you will get better focussing. But when some full-time-high-beam driver comes in your way, you will be blinded no matter what. Do you want some strong lights to flash (not use continuously, except on highways) which will force the other party to dip their beams? Then get powerful Aux lights fitted on the car's bumper/bull bar. I have seen an i20 with small rectangular (small, concentrated but 3000k colour temp light) and when he flashes them, they hit real hard on the eyes even in daytime. You can look for a similar solution and see if this helps.
swift_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 08:47   #279
BANNED

Quote:
Hello fellow members,
So you want to hit back with an even more blinding light of your own. I you are serious go for a projector and HiD, for better illumination and not a blinding hit back.

Do not put a projector and you can be even more blinding, esp with a 55W HID bulb - NOT RECOMMENDED and only in jest!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 09:37   #280
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hello fellow members,
Your being blinded will NOT be helped by a blinder of your own. All you'll be is blinding for other people who maybe are being considerate when theyre using proper lights.

That being said, if blinding is what you're going for, nothing beats a light bar. But again, though that will allow you to be selectively blinding while retaining your normal lamps, is still not the answer.
mayankk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 10:02   #281
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Do not put a projector and you can be even more blinding, esp with a 55W HID bulb - NOT RECOMMENDED and only in jest!
Hi, I need some clarification. Even when a projector is properly aligned, does 55W HID cause glare to oncoming traffic?

Recently, I upgraded the stock headlights in my Polo GT TSi with projectors. The installer insisted on going with 55W HIDs. His reasoning was the optics in aftermarket projectors will have some loss and 35W may not be bright enough. I was very particular that the light should improve my visibility, but should NOT glare oncoming traffic. I even aligned the projectors myself based on a procedure I got in another forum. Can you please look at the below video and comment if the alignment is fine?

I have documented the alignment procedure in the below post.

Polo GT TSi BiXenon Alignment

I always drive with low beam and turn on high beams only outside city limits that too when there is no oncoming traffic, and for requesting the opposite traffic to switch to low beam.
Old 20th January 2016, 12:01   #282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatchyBoy View Post
Unless your car comes with CAN BUS and the headlights are monitored, there is no benefit to using a CAN BUS ballast. The CAN BUS is a network within the
car's electronics that allow communication between various computers on the car. One of the functions of the CAN BUS is to monitor the bulbs and ensure they are working and alert the driver if they are not.

In case of my car, FIAT Linea T-Jet, the CAN BUS monitors only critical lighting that can go unnoticed if blown. It monitors only turn indicators, tail & brake lights and parking lights. It does not monitor interior lights, third brake light, head lights and fog lights. Logic being - if any of these lights blow, they will be noticed or they are not critical for safe operation of the car.

When the CAN BUS detects a failed bulb, by measuring the resistance of that circuit, it then turns on a warning light in the console as well as displays a message in the MID. It also sends a pulsating current to the circuit in an attempt to turn on the failed light. This would cause the HIDs to flicker like a strobe light, if they are monitored.

I am running quad projectors with regular 35W ballasts in my car without issues or errors for the past one year. Since my headlights are not monitored by the CAN BUS, I do not need a CAN BUS ballast. However, if I try putting an LED bulb in my tail light cluster, then that bulb will flicker and I will get an error, as the resistance is lower than expected. In that case, I will need to add an error cancelling resistor to the circuit.
Thanks for your detailed explanation patchyboy.

I am getting the 55W HIDs for my low beam projectors (XUV5OO), if I am not wrong, there are no headlight/any light monitoring system on my car.

So as per your suggestion I could save 2K. Thanks so much.

Much Appreciated.
Old 20th January 2016, 12:15   #283
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Your being blinded will NOT be helped by a blinder of your own. All you'll be is blinding for other people who maybe are being considerate when theyre using proper lights.
That being said, if blinding is what you're going for, nothing beats a light bar. But again, though that will allow you to be selectively blinding while retaining your normal lamps, is still not the answer.
Quote:
So you want to hit back with an even more blinding light of your own. I you are serious go for a projector and HiD, for better illumination and not a blinding hit back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swift_guy View Post
Only way you can escape the blinding lights on road is to NOT look at them. Instead look at the low-left-front part (usually we look at left-front-light part) and not directly into the other car's beam. 100/90 which you have would be good already, try out on a deserted road to check the real effectiveness of those.
HID upgrade would be a bit different, i.e. white light and with projector, you will get better focussing. But when some full-time-high-beam driver comes in your way, you will be blinded no matter what. Do you want some strong lights to flash (not use continuously, except on highways) which will force the other party to dip their beams? Then get powerful Aux lights fitted on the car's bumper/bull bar. I have seen an i20 with small rectangular (small, concentrated but 3000k colour temp light) and when he flashes them, they hit real hard on the eyes even in daytime. You can look for a similar solution and see if this helps.
Hello mayankk, sgiitk, swify_guy,

Thank you all for your views, but I don't think I put my point across well enough! I've no intention of blinding anyone & I take due care to flash my high-beam when I see a pair of blinders coming my way. If the on-comer is civilized he will come down to his low-beam like me, otherwise its my bad luck! I am quite resigned to the idea that all road-users are not necessarily civilized, specially here in Lucknow!
I also notice that if an HID equipped car is in front, I can happily follow him as he lights up the road ahead much better than me! With this in mind I see no reason why I cant do the same, provided my 11-year old Scorpio can be equipped with HID. Can it ? - and if so, what are the damages likely to be? Thanks, shashanka
Old 20th January 2016, 12:22   #284
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Hi, I need some clarification. Even when a projector is properly aligned, does 55W HID cause glare to oncoming traffic?
What did I say, no projector => blinding oncoming traffic.
if your setup is causing glare then a 55W setup will cause more of it. A projector confines the beam, hence less glare. My son has 35W HID in a projector and the beam is very good, and localized - no glare.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 12:32   #285
BHPian

@shashanka - The fact that you could easily see the road ahead from another vehicle's HIDs is because of the colour difference. HIDs have high output and can be a bliss if used properly. But this has nothing to do with the problem of glare from oncoming traffic. Infact you can do nothing to escape from their glare. HIDs, 100/90, nothing will work. However, if you want more visibility on a deserted road where you can actually test the efficiency of different bulbs, then go ahead with HIDs in projectors in the headlight. But that is an expensive affair, costing 15k+ for a good branded pair. You can go for Aux lights (with HIDs or 100w halos, your wish) instead as they would provide better visibility, as yours is an SUV on which Aux lamps would look normal. LED light bar isn't a good idea but that also depends on whether you get flood type or spot type. Cost will be similar to HID projectors and projectors are a better buy for that price.

Last edited by swift_guy : 20th January 2016 at 12:41.
swift_guy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks