Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2016, 13:05   #346
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Best Xenon HID conversion kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain.torque View Post
Experts PLEASE HELP!!!

I will soon be buying the Brezza Zdi+ and as you all know the car has separate housing for the low and high beam.

Question 1 -- Is it okay if I install 5K lights in the OEM projector housing?

Question 2 -- Should I get HIDs in for the high beam as well? If yes, will I ahve to get projectors for them too?

Question 3 -- Will the 5K HIDs produce pure white light like the Audis and Mercs?

Thanks.
Congrats on the Brezza. Please confirm whether the top end will have halogens or HID's. If those are HID's, you can stick to those. Maruti provide Osram as standard HID fitment. If not,

Answer 1 - Absolutely, no issues. You can go for 4300k HID's.

Answer 2 - There's no need to upgrade high beams to HID's. Yes, you will need to install projectors. HID's on reflectors are not recommended. If you have the money and time, you can retro fit projectors for the high beam

Answer 3 - 6000k produce those white light as seen in Audi, Mercs and other high end cars. If you want the best visibiity, go for 4300k or 5000k HIDS. If you need bling, go for 6000k HID's.
naveen.raju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2016, 03:10   #347
BHPian

@naveen.raju yes, the zdi+ has projector with lamps.

Thank you so much for the information.

Cheers!
Old 21st March 2016, 02:15   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain.torque View Post
Experts PLEASE HELP!!!

I will soon be buying the Brezza Zdi+ and as you all know the car has separate housing for the low and high beam.

Question 1 -- Is it okay if I install 5K lights in the OEM projector housing?

Question 2 -- Should I get HIDs in for the high beam as well? If yes, will I ahve to get projectors for them too?

Question 3 -- Will the 5K HIDs produce pure white light like the Audis and Mercs?

Thanks.

I have seen a friend face issues with the steering mounted audio controls when he installed local HID kit in his Swift. Eventually he had to buy a Philips CANBUS compliant 35w HID kit.

Please buy a kit that's been tested on Brezza. Since you're going for Zdi+, I believe it will have steering mounted audio.
ankurbhageria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2016, 19:30   #349

Quote:
Originally Posted by honey_starhoney View Post
Hello Members so as per the useful inputs given by you all I went to the market today for sourcing HID conversion kit for Verna 4s Headlamps. It has Sylvania HB3 9005 12v 60w Halogen bulbs as stock. I am attaching the picture of the same here with this post. But I could not find the Philips, Osram or Even P8 HID Conversion kit in my city but they promised to source P8 kit as advised by @swift_guy so sourced the distributor contact number from their site and he pitched me P8 6000k 55w HB3 9005 for 8k. And here in my city all they have is Chinese HID conversion kits which they sell for Rs/-2300 for the same spec mentioned above. so kindly enlighten me how does these Chinese kits function as compared to P8 or Osram kits, are they safe enough for the car and for the record local guys say the difference in performance, reliability, durability is negligible.
Regards
Hello
I wanted to know what bulbs are you finally using now as i am planning to get my stock lights changed to HIDs this week in my 4s.
Old 30th April 2016, 12:29   #350
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harp.bhatia04 View Post
Hello
I wanted to know what bulbs are you finally using now as i am planning to get my stock lights changed to HIDs this week in my 4s.
Hi Harp.Bhatia i finally dropped the idea of using the HID fro my stock lights as the RTO in our city does not permit After market HID lights and the vehicles are being challenged by him on regularly basis. And Even the ASC is against this modification though i knew about this warranty issue earlier too but i cannot avoid this challan thing.
Old 1st May 2016, 13:20   #351
Team-BHP Support

Hi All,

I have a 55W 5000K BiXenon projector setup retrofit to my Polo GT TSi. Though the ballast is rated 55W, I feel the brightness is same as the 35W OE BiXenons in my Jetta. Maybe that is because of the quality of the ballasts or due to the optics in the aftermarket projectors.

I would like to change the HIDs to 4300K. I have read in this thread that CN bulbs are the best HID bulbs. Experts please point me to a good source where I can get reliable 4300K 55W H1 CN HID bulbs.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 2nd May 2016, 09:16   #352
BANNED

@graaja; If the colour is right then you cannot blame to 55W ballasts. If the ballast output is low you get a dirty greenish light. As for the projector see how good is the pattern / spread.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2016, 11:11   #353
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@graaja; If the colour is right then you cannot blame to 55W ballasts. If the ballast output is low you get a dirty greenish light. As for the projector see how good is the pattern / spread.
The color is fine. I get a white light with a bluish tinge at the cutoff point. The projector spread is also fine. I get a very good spread with a sharp cutoff for the low beam.

So, is the perceived reduction in output mainly because of the 5000k color temperature? Will changing to 4300k increase the brightness as well? Or does the quality of the bulbs plays a major role here?
Old 2nd May 2016, 11:24   #354
BANNED

@graaja; In clear conditions reducing the colour temperature is not going to help much. It is in rain or fog where it matters. One think, with projectors there is far less light leakage so perceptions can become dodgy.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2016, 16:52   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Hi All,

I have a 55W 5000K BiXenon projector setup retrofit to my Polo GT TSi. Though the ballast is rated 55W, I feel the brightness is same as the 35W OE BiXenons in my Jetta. Maybe that is because of the quality of the ballasts or due to the optics in the aftermarket projectors.

I would like to change the HIDs to 4300K. I have read in this thread that CN bulbs are the best HID bulbs. Experts please point me to a good source where I can get reliable 4300K 55W H1 CN HID bulbs.

Thanks in advance for all the help.
Please checkthe link below.Seems like a reliable dealer with 6 months warranty from Chandigarh

http://www.xenonplanet.in/h1-cnlight-genuine-hid-bulb
Sam.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2016, 21:27   #356
BHPian

Hyundai Creta Base model comes with normal bulbs, Can we go with aftermarket projector kits . The dealer told the complete set up including DRLs would cost 45000.
What are the options available like HID projectors , BiXenon Projector kits, Halogen projectors ? Sorry - my knowledge is very poor in this. Can some one guide if I can go for setting up the projector set up in Creta.
Old 18th May 2016, 06:49   #357
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@graaja; In clear conditions reducing the colour temperature is not going to help much. It is in rain or fog where it matters. One think, with projectors there is far less light leakage so perceptions can become dodgy.
Need your expert opinion.

The high beam of the projectors that were retrofitted to my Polo GT TSi failed, and the vendor replaced the projectors under warranty. When the replacement was done, I inspected the failed projectors and found the shutter mechanism to have become tight. The vendor had insisted to go with a 55W setup and had fit 55W ballasts and bulbs with the projectors.

Now I have a doubt that maybe the quality of the projectors is not good enough to handle the heat from 55W setup. The heat from the 55W setup may have deformed the shutter mechanism and hence resulted in a stuck assembly.

Though the vendor insists that the projectors can handle 55W, I have become a little paranoid. As the failure occurred in both the projectors, I have a feeling that the projector design itself is not suitable for a 55W setup. In order to avoid a recurrence of the problem, I am planning to change to 35W ballasts. I need your expert opinion on the below questions.

1. Could the heat from a 55W setup mess up the solenoid and shutter mechanism? Is switching to 35W logical for my setup?
2. I am confused with the hundreds of options available online for a ballast/HID kit. Can you please point me to a reliable brand and/or source to buy the ballast and HID? From your earlier posts I understand Hylux is a good brand, but I am not able to locate a reliable source to order these ballasts.

I have been reading various HID forums about 35W vs. 55W setups. Here are some things I learnt.

1. 55W HID setup provides about 20% more light than 35W setup, but with a penalty on bulb life. While a 35W bulb may last 3000 hours, a 55W bulb may last only 1000 hours. Also, the light output starts decreasing as the bulb ages.

2. Most of the Mini H1 replica projectors cannot take the heat from a 55W setup. They are designed for 35W. The exception is the latest Morimoto Mini H1 7.0 which can support 50W HID system.

3. Though 55W bulbs give good brightness, too much brightness is also not good. As foreground light gets very bright, distance vision suffers. People use techniques like foreground limiters to address this issue. 35W setup does not have this issue.

4. In terms of light output, a 4300K gives 3200 lumens, whereas a 5000K bulb gives 3000 lumens. Also 4300K is closest to sunlight and is good for visibility in rain fog etc.

Because of all the above, though a 35W system produces about 20% less light than a 55W system (still this is many times more than the stock halogens), most experts (including many TBHP members in this thread) recommend 35W HID setup.

So I have decided to replace the 55W ballast and bulb with a 35W bulb and ballast setup with 4300K bulbs. From this thread, I found that CN lights is the best in aftermarket HID bulbs and Hylux is a very good brand in aftermarket ballasts. Both are available in XenonPlanet.in. The ballasts cost 4.8k for a pair and the bulbs 2.1K.

Hylux Ballasts

CNLight bulbs

Hopefully, with this replacement, the reliability of the system improves with a little sacrifice in light output.

It is turning out to be an expensive affair, but I think it is better to spend some money in getting reliable components than endure frequent failures.

Experts please let me know if this is a good decision and the choice of ballast and bulb is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.k View Post
Please check the link below.Seems like a reliable dealer with 6 months warranty from Chandigarh

http://www.xenonplanet.in/h1-cnlight-genuine-hid-bulb
Thanks a lot for pointing out this source. Found they also have the Hylux ballasts with 3 years warranty.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 18th May 2016 at 13:45.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2016, 12:13   #358
BHPian

Hello,
I have a 2007 Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDi Rider classic version. The OEM headlights are quite poor in sufficiently lightning up the roads. So, I have been thinking of upgrading the headlamps to either a better halogen bulb or a HID kit. Also, I don't want to spoil the headlamp reflectors. Please suggest me a suitable option as I have no idea in choosing one. Thanks
Old 23rd October 2016, 01:43   #359

Hello,
This is my first post on Team-Bhp. Following the community since a very long time but made zero contribution. Hopefully will have something to contribute in the near future .

I have Volkswagen Vento TDi 1.6 2013. The OEM headlights are quite poor in sufficiently lightning up the roads. So, I was thinking of upgrading the headlamps to either a better halogen bulb or a HID kit. Recently at the Amazon Sale got this Osram HID Conversion Kit H4 : ( http://www.amazon.in/Osram-4200K-Con...keywords=osram ). After using it for a few hours looked at the reflector and saw signs of chipping, kind of the silver lining melting off just above the center of the bulb. Would like to ask, do even these require projectors or should return the (Thanks to great Amazon return policy). They were a simple swap, although the light ahead improved it was not focused and was like halogens. They even had a solenoid for High-Low.
Old 24th October 2016, 07:28   #360
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya.kapur View Post
Would like to ask, do even these require projectors or should return the (Thanks to great Amazon return policy). They were a simple swap, although the light ahead improved it was not focused and was like halogens. They even had a solenoid for High-Low.
Unless the headlight reflector is designed for a HID, directly fixing a HID in place of a halogen is not recommended. This will result in very high light scatter and will not give any improvement on lighting, but will only severely glare oncoming traffic. So, if you want to improve the performance of the headlights either go for the 100W halogen conversion or go for a projector setup for HID.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed