Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2017, 16:11   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc

Ordered my cover online on 28 February, Went for the top-of-the-range Pilot373 at over Rs9k

I think it said delivery 10 days, so I was not expecting anything until next week. Probably, I thought, these things would be made to order, especially for a less-common car.

Expecting nothing bigger than a small battery charger, I was calling out to the maid, "No, I'm not expecting anything big!" when I saw a courier with his arms full. Then I saw: it is my TPH cover, celivered in just 4 days.

My car is undergoing a minor repair, and has been returned twice due to dissatisfaction with the paint finish. I hope this is being finally fixed right now. I am not unpacking the cover until I have the car back tomorrow or the next day.

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img_20170304_155501730_hdr.jpg Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img_20170304_155519856.jpg
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2017, 02:19   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachit.K.Dogra View Post
Seeing your update, I am getting really interested in this cover now.
I have used 2 sets of Polco Dupont Tyvek now, and although it was a good cover but I did't get more than 10-12 months of life from them. Plus they cost close to 2500 Rs, so if I and getting these for 5K and manage to get 2 years out of it, it is atleast a similar value proposition if not worse. The another issue with Polco is that after a couple of months it starts letting some fine dust in. It is tolerable but it is not completely dust proof. In rains, if the cover is any older than 2-3 months, water goes in which makes the cover stick to the car body and then while taking it off, you run a high risk of tearing it. Both my sets were torn after the rains even after being reasonable cautious with these.

Will keep you guys updated

CHEERS!!

Rachit
So I finally got my TPH Cover. I got the Armor one. The MRP on this one was 4999, but I got a Rs 200 discount. It got delivered in 4-5 days.

Initial Impressions are pretty good. The build quality is definitely much higher than Polco Tyvek. This cover is a lot heavier and the material feels very sturdy. The elastics and the buckles also feel heavier and should take the abuse for longer. Since these are made specific to cars, the measurements are also perfect. It covers the car exactly till the ground. Also, because the front and rear elastics are pretty strong, wind does not move the cover on the car. This was a big issue with me with the Tyvek. I had to do all sorts of things, like buckling up, tying bricks at the front and rear and what not to keep the cover at its place on the car.

The only con I can see to this cover is that since its heavier, taking it on and off is a bit more work and it takes a bit more space in the boot. Rest everything looks very good.

Here are some pics:
Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img20170304wa0000.jpg

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img20170304wa0001.jpg

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img20170304wa0002.jpg

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img20170304wa0003.jpg
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 18:30   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So I finally got my TPH Cover. I got the Armor one. The MRP on this one was 4999, but I got a Rs 200 discount. It got delivered in 4-5 days.
Nice. The Tyvek cult is converting to Tph!

Have got my car back and the cover is in use. Pics follow.

Quote:
Initial Impressions are pretty good. The build quality is definitely much higher than Polco Tyvek.
The Tyvek cover I had was not badly made, but this feels like tailor-made.
Quote:
This cover is a lot heavier and the material feels very sturdy.
Don't mistake lack of weight of the Tyvek for lack of strength: just try tearing Tyvek!

But yes, the Tph covers are very well made. Hoping time confirms this.
Quote:
The elastics and the buckles also feel heavier and should take the abuse for longer. Since these are made specific to cars, the measurements are also perfect. It covers the car exactly till the ground.
I think mine is an even snugger fit than yours!
Quote:
Also, because the front and rear elastics are pretty strong, wind does not move the cover on the car. This was a big issue with me with the Tyvek. I had to do all sorts of things, like buckling up, tying bricks at the front and rear and what not to keep the cover at its place on the car.
I never had any such problems with the Tyvek. Maybe because it came from the VW dealer and really was a perfect fit?

But Tph make a fit which is just as perfect. I note that, on the model list, they differentiate the Polo and the Polo GT. The Polo GT has just a little extra length because of its tailgate spoiler. Attention to detail!
Quote:
The only con I can see to this cover is that since its heavier, taking it on and off is a bit more work and it takes a bit more space in the boot.
Yes, it is much more heavy weight and rather more hard work! And, in accordance with the instructions, I am [Jopasu] dusting the car before putting the cover on. But, unlike my damaged Tyvek, it seems to be dust proof, so I don't have to dust the car after taking it off. The elastic is very strong and holds the cover firmly; I don't think I will ever use the belt, which is made so that it can easily be completely removed.

This model is fully breathable. Not the instructions that it can even be put on after rinsing ---or rain.

Now for the photographic story of...

Extravagance and Luxury for My Polo: Tph Pilot373

The extravagance? Top of the range model at Rs.9,383 . I'm sure this will usually grace BMWs, Mercedes, Porsche, Ferrari, etc, rather than a humble Polo.

Even the bag (you can glimpse in my previous post) is well made. But I have one problem with it: no doubt the people who are folding these things every day (like sari shop staff) can easily fold the cover to fit, but, so far I can't. I'll try again! As well as the stout carrying bag, there is a lightweight satin-fabric bag.

Stamp of approval:

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-coverpaw.jpg

(this dry-dust mark brushed off easily)

Yes, he likes it!

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-covercat.jpg

(supposed to be animal proof)

Overview:

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-cover1.jpg

The luxurious inner lining:

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-coverinside.jpg

(It is going to be important to keep this clean!)

Interesting instructions:

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-coverprint.jpg.

I'm usually coming home in the night. I doubt if I'll rinse before covering very often, except when the crows have been at work above the parking place.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 19:33   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Nice. The Tyvek cult is converting to Tph!

The Tyvek cover I had was not badly made, but this feels like tailor-made.
Don't mistake lack of weight of the Tyvek for lack of strength: just try tearing Tyvek!
I agree. I never felt that they were poorly made, but these feel better made. My only slight complain was with time, their strength went down a bit.

Quote:
I never had any such problems with the Tyvek. Maybe because it came from the VW dealer and really was a perfect fit?
That can be a reason. Mine was a generic size. VW also sold Tyvek covers? Gurgaon dealer never had them.

Quote:
And, in accordance with the instructions, I am [Jopasu] dusting the car before putting the cover on. But, unlike my damaged Tyvek, it seems to be dust proof, so I don't have to dust the car after taking it off. The elastic is very strong and holds the cover firmly; I don't think I will ever use the belt, which is made so that it can easily be completely removed.
I am used to dusting before putting the cover. I agree atleast as of now, I don't have to dust after taking the cover off like Tyvek. Hopefully it stays like this. Although I am already seeing very light dust getting inside this cover too, in case the wind is very strong. I think all breathable covers will have this issue. Unfortunately for me, where my car is parked, it is sort of between 2 buildings and for some reason I feel, it is always under strong winds.
Rachit.K.Dogra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2017, 19:50   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
VW also sold Tyvek covers?
Way back then, when I bought my first Polo, in 2012, they did. It was nice to see "VW" on the windscreen part of the cover.

Having spent so much, I did not elect to have the optional-extra car logo from Tph. I quite like their own logo over the windscreen.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2017, 14:01   #261
BHPian

I'm very excited to see these THP car covers.

So far I have used the OEM Cover, Dupont Tyvek, Coverite Xtrabond on my VW Vento. I will briefly describe my expriences with all three.

The OEM Car cover was light and did well to ward of dust. It was however fragile and was not water proof. In a couple of months of usage it tore off and I started my serch for a new cover.

Dupont Tyvek covers from Polco were the best option available (or the best I could find) back then. These were expensive and promised to not scratch my car and also not trap moisture. Very good! However I later came to know that they do not protect the car from rain. The workmanship was poor and the cover did not last long. I would say given the price I paid for it I was disappointed. No wonder tyvek is not a material that Dupont intends to be used for car cover applications. At most this should be a indoor only cover where its qualities of not scratching the car paint and not trapping moisture will an advantage.

http://www.dupont.co.in/products-and...nds/tyvek.html

My next purchase was Coverite Xtrabond.

http://www.carcoverusa.com/Xtrabond-Car-Cover.html

This too was not a cheap but, but seemed to well made. The seams were head welded which means no leakage at the stitches. The insides were lined with a soft material so the chances of scratching the paint are less. Though I will not say it is completely scratch less, I did notice some scratches on the sharp lines like the top shelf of the boot where the cover drags when removed/applied.

However this lasted only a couple of years in the Indian sun. This year I noticed the material has started to deteriorate and become powdery. I think it is the UV rays doing their job. Since the last couple of weeks the sun has been shining severely and complete patches have started to fall apart where one gets the maximum sun (roof, bonnet).

Today I start my search for a car cover afresh. Just called TPH and was greeted with a friendly voice. I have zeroed on the RainX and STRYKER. I am told the former is Nylon which is tougher and the latter is Polyester which is more UV resistant. I am inclined towards the Poly and have asked images of both to be whatsapped to me. Let me see how it goes.
Old 23rd May 2017, 15:28   #262

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
Tph Silver Series Animal Proof Car Cover 1 year update.
How good is this silver series against animals? I was planning to get one for my Ford Figo New Gen model. The Silver series from TPH covers seems to be best value for money product from TPH covers. We have Cat in our house which likes to play around the car by jumping on it, sleeping on it.

The old cover bought from Ford dealer was not capable of handling the cat claws. The cover was too thin and wasn't made of good water proof material. Would this product last for at least 3 years?
Old 23rd May 2017, 17:08   #263
Senior - BHPian

If not for cars DuPONT TYVEK covers are also heavily used by Pharma industry to keep their COLD-CHAIN (15-24 deg C) products from getting exposed to undesirable temperatures.
They usually come in Silver & white color with lining on inner side and yes I have tested it over my face, they are breathable. The outer lining is pretty tough for scratches but not impregnable.

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-dupontblanket.jpg

Regards-Sonu
Old 23rd May 2017, 18:04   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil_SB View Post
How good is this silver series against animals? I was planning to get one for my Ford Figo New Gen model. The Silver series from TPH covers seems to be best value for money product from TPH covers. We have Cat in our house which likes to play around the car by jumping on it, sleeping on it.

The old cover bought from Ford dealer was not capable of handling the cat claws. The cover was too thin and wasn't made of good water proof material. Would this product last for at least 3 years?
Hi Nikhil,

Yes, the Silver Series is animal proof. You will have to pay a bit extra for ordering the additional waterproof protection.

I have seen a lot of pug marks on the cover, dogs and cats both. No scratches at all on the car or any signs of wear on the cover. Heck it even protected my car from those sparks of fireworks.

I have been using this for 1.5 years now. At the time of ordering had been told that it will last for 5 years. As updated to me, the material used to make the cover is ordered from Germany.

Regards,

aghate
aghate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 21:40   #265
BHPian

I just got TPH car cover for mine. Will snap a picture in the next couple of days and put it up.
sweetvar26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2017, 22:39   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Speaking of animal-proof, I have always thought of claws and stuff. Yesterday, my wife found that a dog had broken through the wire-net extension to our wall and torn up a cushion. She wondered what would happen if it took its teeth to my car cover, and called people to make repairs.

I wondered too. Does "animal-proof" mean it can't be torn up by a strong dog? I doubt that.

And I'm still very happy with my expensive Tph cover
Old 5th September 2017, 19:19   #267
BHPian

Ordered 2 tph covers for dzire & crysta. Its rainx series.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-20170905_191305.jpg  

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-20170905_191243.jpg  

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-20170905_191324.jpg  

Vulken Auto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 11:08   #268
BHPian

My Tyvek was torn last night by a stray dog who loves to sit on neighborhood cars. Though the cover was good with small issues here and there but it was not resistant to animal claws. I can see some bad claw marks on the red paint of my Scorpio which needs some buffing with a machine

Some pics as well:
Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-large-damage.jpg

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-small-damage.jpg

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-claw-marks.jpg

There are some some good options from TPH but am a bit confused. I am specially considering Nomex one which as per their claim is 'tough enough for animals'.

My question to fellow members is - what is the material used inside of Nomex cover to protect the car against micro scratches for which I was earlier using Tyvek? Any further guidance then please do share?

Thanks & Regards...Vikas
vikasshu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2017, 14:00   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Sad to see that damage. Surprised too: Tyvec is so tough!

I notice small scratch marks on the near-vertical rear of the car, but no problems elsewhere... And the cats love to sit on the car! The Tph cover is quite thick and probably very comfortable!
Old 8th September 2017, 10:32   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Sad to see that damage. Surprised too: Tyvec is so tough!
Thanks for your kind words Thad. The dog is striking with vengeance now. Every day now a portion is being ripped specially on the lower side. RWA is not taking any action. And this one strikes way past 2:00 or 3:00 AM. Otherwise I can teach a lesson

I think TPH is using new names for their products. I saw a silver series cover mentioned by aghate. But can not find this one on their website. It now shows Nomex as the animal proof one. Not sure if they both mean same?? Need to finalize something soon.

Kind Regards.. Vikas
vikasshu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks