Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2012, 20:41   #136
Senior - BHPian

re: Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc

^^ I am talking of the small red ants, from personal experience. They don't climb on to the car body, door panels etc. through the tyres. Earlier I used to leave the strap of my cover just like @Thad does, and noticed this problem. The car would immediately go for a thorough water wash!

After I began to strap it tight, it has not occurred - despite the presence of ants in the vicinity. Also, other cars near mine never faced this problem, as their owners never bothered to cover them. That was what set me thinking!

Insects can drop from trees, but ant's can't, at least not in large numbers!

Last edited by Gansan : 14th March 2012 at 20:46.
Old 14th March 2012, 21:19   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
Sorry, I don't want to sound as if I am ridiculing you, but can't the ants or insects climb from the 4 tyres? I have seen large insects drop from trees as well.

Hmmm... I never thought of that either <Blush>

<crossposted>

OK Gansan, I still see your point.

Actually, I think ants will, somehow, manage to go anywhere that they set their joint mind to go!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 14th March 2012 at 21:22.
Old 19th March 2012, 17:18   #138
BHPian

Hey Fellas!

I am looking for a car cover for my Chevrolet Optra. Found this on eBay. Was not sure about the seller, so called him up and asked him about all the negative feedback he has received.

The seller said most of the negative feedback was for small items and mostly due to a non-functioning product. I decided not to interfere too much, and asked him about the availability of the car cover. Then the seller says that they do not have the car cover readily available. Based upon the customers requirement and order, they tailor the cover material and then ship it out. The seller says it will take max of about 4 business days from time of placing order to delivery in Chennai. He was adamant that the cover will reach Chennai by Friday or Saturday, in case I place the order today.

What do you guys think? Is that how it's supposed to be with Tyvek covers? I was hoping that the cover would be available ready to ship. I have looked at a few places in Chennai, but none of them stock the DuPont Tyvek covers.

Any response is much appreciated. Thanks guys
Old 19th March 2012, 19:02   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ I am talking of the small red ants, from personal experience. They don't climb on to the car body, door panels etc. through the tyres. Earlier I used to leave the strap of my cover just like @Thad does, and noticed this problem. The car would immediately go for a thorough water wash!

After I began to strap it tight, it has not occurred - despite the presence of ants in the vicinity. Also, other cars near mine never faced this problem, as their owners never bothered to cover them. That was what set me thinking!

Insects can drop from trees, but ant's can't, at least not in large numbers!
Hmmm, reminds me of a lady who used to push leftovers below cars in our colony for the puppies and cats. Needless to mention, the food would find its way in the engine bay. And tons of flies and insects after it rots for another day.

Hope this is not the reason in your case.
Old 19th March 2012, 19:33   #140
Senior - BHPian

sourav, it depends & could vary from seller to seller. Some big companies may have ready stock with them for some standard sizes or even some custom fit covers for some of the car models. On the other hand, other sellers may actually make the cover only after an order is confirmed. So, you needn't worry on this part since Tyvek is only a material that DuPont supplies but then it's up to the manufacturer to decide whether or not he wants to have ready stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post
Then the seller says that they do not have the car cover readily available. Based upon the customers requirement and order, they tailor the cover material and then ship it out. The seller says it will take max of about 4 business days from time of placing order to delivery in Chennai. He was adamant that the cover will reach Chennai by Friday or Saturday, in case I place the order today.

What do you guys think? Is that how it's supposed to be with Tyvek covers? I was hoping that the cover would be available ready to ship. I have looked at a few places in Chennai, but none of them stock the DuPont Tyvek covers.

Any response is much appreciated. Thanks guys
Old 19th March 2012, 20:41   #141
Senior - BHPian

I am looking for Tyvek covers for both my Alto and Esteem. I understand from going through this thread that Tyvek material itself is water resistant but the water leaks in from the seams of the stitching. Therefore I was wondering whether it would be possible for manufacturers to produce these covers without stitching. Is it possible to heat glue or use super glue for this purpose. That would ensure there is no holes for water to get in from.
Old 19th March 2012, 21:16   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
Hmmm, reminds me of a lady who used to push leftovers below cars in our colony for the puppies and cats. Needless to mention, the food would find its way in the engine bay. And tons of flies and insects after it rots for another day.

Hope this is not the reason in your case.
No, it is not. No spilled food anywhere in the parking area where 7 cars are parked! And from the day I started to tie-up the belt tightly, I have had no problem! Apart from some dog coming in and wetting a tyre of some cars occasionally, whom I intend to discourage with a well aimed half brick one of these days!
Old 20th March 2012, 16:11   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
What's the reason for that? Does moisture get trapped under the cover and cause damage?
Precisely. And besides, the Tyvek cover isn't waterproof either.
ghostrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2012, 16:14   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfire_9 View Post
sourav, it depends & could vary from seller to seller. Some big companies may have ready stock with them for some standard sizes or even some custom fit covers for some of the car models. On the other hand, other sellers may actually make the cover only after an order is confirmed. So, you needn't worry on this part since Tyvek is only a material that DuPont supplies but then it's up to the manufacturer to decide whether or not he wants to have ready stock.
Thanks for the reply mate. Much appreciated.

Well I guess that leaves me with no choice but to order from the seller. He is quoting a price of 2.7k, shipped to Chennai. I am going to put down the order for the cover in a day or two, and see how long it takes for it to get down here. Lets hope that the cover is worth all the hype
Old 21st March 2012, 08:52   #145
BANNED

Waterproof and breathable are contradictory requirements. Tyvek is water resistant, but whether it will do much good in a Mumbai Monsoon deluge is doubtful.
Old 21st March 2012, 10:33   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Waterproof and breathable are contradictory requirements...
Actually, they are not. Breathable means that water vapour will pass through, but liquid water will not. Bikers, sailors, outdoor people of the world are very familiar with this difference. When sailing, we need to keep out everything from rain to solid water being thrown at us: breathable fabrics made it possible to do this without getting just as wet inside from our own sweat.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 13:39   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Actually, they are not. Breathable means that water vapour will pass through, but liquid water will not. Bikers, sailors, outdoor people of the world are very familiar with this difference. When sailing, we need to keep out everything from rain to solid water being thrown at us: breathable fabrics made it possible to do this without getting just as wet inside from our own sweat.
Nice explanation but do these covers come for a specific car or are they generalised based on car segment? Because in our office parking i saw one BMW 7 series with Tyvek cover but the cover seem woefully short as the doors were visible almost half.
Old 21st March 2012, 14:02   #148
BANNED

Quote:
Actually, they are not. Breathable means that water vapour will pass through, but liquid water will not.
This is more a matter of pore size. I doubt whether a run-of-the-mill product like Tyvek (used mostly for light weight envelopes) will be engineered to that extent.
Old 24th March 2012, 21:11   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't know. The tyvek cover is hardly cheap, but not nearly as expensive as clothes, shoes, gloves, etc using Gore-tex, one of the fabrics engineered for breathable, heavy-weather clothes.

Mind you: there is a lot more work goes into making something like that than into making a non-water-proof car cover. It doesn't matter how waterproof a fabric is if there are stitching holes along every seem. Higher-end clothes will have all those seems taped over.

By the way, I went out this afternoon to put my new 3d mats in place. The car, uncovered, would have been like an oven. The Tyvek cover seems to do a good job of keeping it cool inside.

Wouldn't mind having this stuff glued to my terrace!
Old 27th April 2012, 14:57   #150
BHPian

Was hunting for a Tyvek cover in Mumbai for my Superb. Relied on one of the earlier posts providing a contact no. (Vijay Auto Accessories). Went to meet him. Unfortunately, Tyvek supplies are irregular - and the other point is that their covers (marketed by POLCO) no longer have a provision for the antenna - so either one has to bend the antenna (not too sure if it is flexible enough) or just go for another brand from a Skoda dealer (not Tyvek material). Disappointing.
If anyone knows of a Tyvek cover shop in Mumbai would be helpful. Cheers

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks