Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2021, 21:55   #406
BANNED

re: Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc

I'm looking for a good car cover for Innova crysta on or below Rs. 1000 with water and dust proof. Please share your recommendations
Old 17th December 2021, 19:40   #407
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
I'm looking for a good car cover for Innova crysta on or below Rs. 1000 with water and dust proof. Please share your recommendations
You can try coverwell but I think it be be more than 1k, maybe 3k something for waterproof cover and 1.5k for non waterproof.
Old 17th December 2021, 19:53   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Yes! It's easy when you get used to it. The key is to always fold/remove it by the same method, and simply reverse when applying. This is my method,beginning with removing the cover...

1. fold each side edge up and onto top of car, edge to centre line.

2. fold each side again up and to centre line.

3. Roll forewards, onto bonnet... pick up roll.

Covering car

1. Place roll on car bonnet.

2. Unroll up windscreen and onto roof, making sure OVRM "ears" fit over OVRMs

3. Continue rolling back. Make sure antena, if you have one, fits in its cover.

(getting it right up to this point means little or no movement of cover against car, minimising swirl risk, but sometimes you just have to adjust)

4. Let rear part of cover fall down over hatchback.

5. Fold out both sides.

6. Hitch elastic edge under back of car.

7. Hitch elastic edge under front of car.

8. Check that elastic edge is securely under each side.

That's it, and it takes longer to type than to do. Simply follow and repeat identically, this, or any routine, that allows you to cover/uncover the car without sliding the cover around or having ends drop to the ground.

Cleaning the cover

This has been on my mind for some time. This is a very dusty area and fine dust had impregnated my cover over four years of use. The car was away for a few days for service, tinkering and polishing and I knew that I now had to make the effort to minimise the amount of dust in the cover.

1. I put it on the concrete and shook it vigorously from each end and then all along each side. This created huge clouds of dust. Mask required!

2. Turn over and do it again.

3. Go directly to shower!

second round.

1. Rig line between two uprights (I had meant to use our terrace washing line, but forgot to coordinate with others and it was occupied)

2. Beat soundly all over.

3. Turn over (inside out) on line.

4. Repeat beating. Go to shower

I had been wondering what to beat it with. In my British youth, there were carpet beaters, shaped a bit like tennis rackets. I used a broom: the kind with long plastic "strands" because one can hit really hard with this, and they spread out a bit on impact. I wouldn't like to be on the receiving end!

A final session with a vacuum cleaner would be good, but don't currently have a working one with attachments.
I start rolling the cover from the bottom of the bonnet and roll till windshield and then start rolling from the bottom of the trunk till the roof.

Then I fold it and this is where I feel I mess up. Because when it's time to cover the car, I put the folded cover on the roof and then start unfolding and rolling down but sometimes I place it wrong and I need to figure out which side belongs where and then it rubs on the roof in that process.

Also, what do you suggest for a lone rider who has to do all the tasks by himself and especially for cleaning, the dust on my cover really bothering me. When I cover I can see dust marks on the car due to placing the cover on the roof and trying to figure out the correct direction.
Old 18th December 2021, 01:18   #409
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil00090 View Post
IThen I fold it and this is where I feel I mess up. Because when it's time to cover the car, I put the folded cover on the roof and then start unfolding and rolling down but sometimes I place it wrong and I need to figure out which side belongs where and then it rubs on the roof in that process.

Also, what do you suggest for a lone rider who has to do all the tasks by himself ... ... ...
You'll see that my method is folding from back to bonnet, unfolding from bonnet to back. The cover is a neat parcel, and it is not possible to get the direction wrong. Keep a routine.

And... the only way to keep you car free of dust would be to keep it in a sealed garage. Which would defeat the purpose of having it! You are not going to keep it dust free: there will be some swirl marks.

Of course, the obsessive can always wash their car before covering. But still, no paintwork will stay perfect! Do the best you can, or have time for, or feel is worthwhile, and be happy
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2021, 16:28   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You'll see that my method is folding from back to bonnet, unfolding from bonnet to back. The cover is a neat parcel, and it is not possible to get the direction wrong. Keep a routine.

And... the only way to keep you car free of dust would be to keep it in a sealed garage. Which would defeat the purpose of having it! You are not going to keep it dust free: there will be some swirl marks.

Of course, the obsessive can always wash their car before covering. But still, no paintwork will stay perfect! Do the best you can, or have time for, or feel is worthwhile, and be happy
Yes, I guess you are correct no matter what, it's bound to get some swirl marks. Best thing would be to do my best
Sahil00090 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 02:43   #411

Recently received the two TPH Pilot 777 Covers I had ordered for my Jetta and Verna, priced at 16k and 13.5k respectively.

Older Dupont Tyvek one on the Jetta had well passed its age and the Hyundai branded cover on the Verna wasn’t a good fit as far as protection to the newly applied ceramic coating was concerned. Sadly, one has to opt for the utter expensive Pilot-777 if the criteria is a soft inner lining (velvet or likewise) and an outer material providing reasonable protection from water in particular.

Coming to the cover, it’s a real snug fit in both the cars; both cars have a rear spoiler in place but that didn’t prove to be an issue. The quality of the cover is supreme and as mentioned in this forum earlier, “one would rather worry about the cover itself being stolen as it’s that good.”

Downsides, well, first and foremost is the price and secondly is the weight. It’s a task in itself to put in and put off the cover on a frequent basis, even if you have someone supporting you with the same. I had requested for the VW logo in the cover for Jetta which they seemingly catered to, for no additional cost (read: complimentary). They provide white and black color options for the logo.

Kudos to the chat/WhatsApp support provided, especially in terms of clarity regarding customization options available. They did send me the real pictures of the cloth in different colors available in stock, thereby helping me get rid of the apprehensions I otherwise had, related to the possible discrepancies between what is shown on the online customization tool and the real product.

Note that a normal swipe of a cloth damped with warm water or so is suggested for cleaning the cover which I think, seems to suffice..thankfully..!

To summarise, a worthy product indeed especially when the parking intervals are long at one go (as in the lesser frequency of putting on/off the cover), and when a soft inner lining is of utmost importance.
tweakpun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 14:37   #412

TPH says the durability of the Pilot is 3-4 years and that of Sovereign is 5-6 years. I was thinking of getting the pilot but is spending a bomb on the cover justified with such limited life?
Old 11th April 2022, 00:38   #413
BANNED

I bought my first TPH Armor cover on 2016 for my Figo 1.5D. I use my car for two to four days in a month for long drives(200+km) alone. I was smitten by cover's performance, especially after using it daily with the car parked in the sun by the road side for over four years. There were three rows of stitches, of which, just the first row alone gave away after 4 years of hard use. The material was so tough that it didn't yaw for over three years even after I put two slits on it for accommodating the clamps I added later that were jutting out tight against the cover which was already tight fitting to start with. It was simply mind blowing. The way it withstood heavy winds which ripped away other covers which were belted without even getting belted was stunning. That cover is now still going strong with a friend who has a Go+ and was using some flex to casually cover the area where the sunlight was hitting his car parked in his covered portico. Initially it was draped over that back to the extent possible but now they have made a cut near the front wheel to make draping it easier and it is still serving the purpose there!

This performance made me a self proclaimed marketeer for the cover and I had been able to make quite a few people buy the cover by helping them to overcome their reluctance to spend that much on the car cover.

I bought three more covers from them. I was insisting on TPH Armor series which are supposed to be dog bite proof and designed to handle outdoor use.

The second cover on my Dad's Ameo gave up in an year! I was so smitten by the performance of the first cover that I thought I could convince them to give me a proper Armor cover for my Figo the third time and I received this cover by mid 2020. I had bought another cover for Dad's Ameo recently just before my third TPH cover(pictured here) crumbled. I truly wish I had faced the issue a bit earlier and I definitely wouldn't have spent 6k for the fourth TPH cover in our family!

RUDE AWAKENING:

I noticed a cut in the cover on the rear window area a few days back and I initially thought it to be a work of a vandal. There was an instance of vandalism a few months before this issue when my ORVM portion of the cover was cut along with a cut on one tire too! (crazy world!). I ordered a butyl tape to seal it off and waited for it to get delivered in the next couple of days. I noticed the cut to be extending over the next few days and was thinking of setting up a camera to catch the vandal. I was thinking of tweeting the video of the vandal getting caught red handed to the police too.

I had a doubt about the 'vandal' because the 'handiwork' appears to be too persistent and measured. When the butyl tape arrived, I dropped the idea of spy game and decided to tape up the tear and take action if the 'Vandal" strikes again.

I tried to push the material on the sides of the tear together with two fingers and, to my utter horror, FOUND it getting torn like wet tissue paper! I gawked at it for a few minutes in utter disbelief before resigning myself to the situation.

I tried to contact the TPH covers but was told that their covers are under 1-year-warranty and can be expected to fail in under two years 'depending on usuage'. I tried telling them that the original TPH Armor is still holding strong after over 5 years of hard use but it was brushed off. They offered to 'service' the cover, 'if possible', after I had sent it to them.

I had to bitterly swallow the fact that I had been so smitten by the performance of the first TPH Armor cover that I had been a stupid fanboy even after having got duped in the second trashy cover itself. I sincerely hope to avoid anyone who had bought the overpriced garbage upon my 'insistence'.

I have decided to source my next cover from a local tarpaulin guy who had stitched a well fitting cover for a friend's swift for 1.5k. I could afford to keep changing it as and when required.

I do see frequent status updates in whatsapp on their part on the covers being sold to Rolls Royces and Porches. I think it had got in to their head to embolden them to disregard the 'cheap' car owners. What makes the whole experience more galling is the attitude of these folks where they have decided to swindle me even after finding me uninterested in buying their 15k+ covers by offering me a piece of garbage instead of the original good quality cover which had performed poorer that a flex poster casually thrown on most of the vehicles parked by the road side!

It would be absurd on their part to think they could stay profitable by selling a few dozen covers a month for the cars cost upwards of a crore alone but, their money, their choice. I respect that.

I am attaching the pics and video of my stupid choice here. The small L-shaped tear was from me trying to close the boot lid on the cover! There was one more tear on the front right side when I tried to cover the car with this trash for the last time. I hope to get the replacement ready in a week to avoid the heartburn of beholding my stupidity any further.

It's hadn't even been two years yet.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img_20220410_125308.jpg  

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img_20220410_125327.jpg  

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img_20220410_125232.jpg  

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img_20220410_125238.jpg  

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img_20220410_125247.jpg  

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img_20220410_125206.jpg  

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img_20220410_125214.jpg  

Last edited by libranof1987 : 11th April 2022 at 09:14. Reason: As requested
COMMUTER is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 03:58   #414
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMUTER View Post
I tried to contact the TPH covers but was told that their covers are under 1-year-warranty and can be expected to fail in under two years 'depending on usuage'. I tried telling them that the original TPH Armor is still holding strong after over 5 years of hard use but it was brushed off. They offered to 'service' the cover, 'if possible', after I had sent it to them.
This is a sad state of affairs and a disappointing change in the company's quality. I too have a cover which is several years old but which, apart from colour fading, seems none-the-worse for wear (it has been used under a carport, not in the open). No doubt, I've said good things about them here in this thread. I shall keep quiet from now on.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 09:03   #415
Senior - BHPian

I'd recommended TPH left right and center. Now my friends alerted me that the material has been compromised. So when it came to ordering an R15 cover for the Aerox, tried the Polco from Amazon since it said TYVEK (Rs 1,116). But to my utter shock something shoddy in white landed up. And I have not even opened it as I know its not TYVEK. To my annoyance the packet holding the cover came in original TYVEK material. I wonder what they wanted to prove or deceive. Have asked for refund. Frankly there is a vast market for good quality covers. And TPH/Polco seem to have exited this ring, leaving scope for a genuine product to enter.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img_7329.jpg  

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img_7330.jpg  

Sebring is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 12:26   #416
BANNED

I think it would be highly appropriate for the mods to close this thread because these covers are downright dubious and don't deserve to be considered premium anymore.
COMMUTER is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 13:42   #417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
... mods to close this thread because these covers ... don't deserve to be considered premium anymore.
Perhaps the title could be edited rather than the thread closed. I'll click the report icon and make that suggestion. (edit: done)

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 11th April 2022 at 13:45.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 19:11   #418
Team-BHP Support

Re: Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc

That's rather disappointing. I was about to recommend one to my sister who's getting a new car.

My May 2019 bought TPH Aqua King is doing great. The antenna cover needed patching up after the building's resident tomcat took a fancy to wrestling it, but the rest is good as new.
Chetan_Rao is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 19:47   #419
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
So when it came to ordering an R15 cover for the Aerox, tried the Polco from Amazon since it said TYVEK (Rs 1,116). But to my utter shock something shoddy in white landed up. And I have not even opened it as I know its not TYVEK. To my annoyance the packet holding the cover came in original TYVEK material.
Unfortunately the exact same thing has happened with me, and I threw away the packaging without realising it too! Not sure if a refund will be entertained now!
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 20:16   #420
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Frankly there is a vast market for good quality covers. And TPH/Polco seem to have exited this ring, leaving scope for a genuine product to enter.
Quote:
I think it would be highly appropriate for the mods to close this thread because these covers are downright dubious and don't deserve to be considered premium anymore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
That's rather disappointing. I was about to recommend one to my sister who's getting a new car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Unfortunately the exact same thing has happened with me, and I threw away the packaging without realising it too! Not sure if a refund will be entertained now!
These car covers seem to have quite a few positive reviews:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...-covers-6.html (Review: Coverwell car covers)

Disclaimer: Am not associated in any way with them.
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed