Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2009, 11:46   #31
BANNED

By all means. Tyvek is light, soft, and almost indestructible. Try tearing a Tyvek envelope and you will know. What more do we want?
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2009, 13:38   #32
Senior - BHPian

HGA all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by kums View Post
Hi everyone,looks like i'm reviving the thread that has been idle for 2 years!

Well,i need some advice on car covers - For i10 - the dealer is offering a hyundai genuine car cover for RS.1250 (includes VAT!) .he said its of parachute material .The thing is i feel its too costly.For few hundred rupees more i think i get a tyvek itself ! Outside dealers offer it at 900 bucks.One dealer said he has a car cover for 600 bucks ,made of umbrella material and added its same as parachute material .

My main question is - Can i go for covers given by outside dealers itself ? Will it be as good as HGA cover?
I'm so confused.Looking forward for some gyan from T-Bhpians !
Kums,

The Tyvek cover is the best I've seen on cars. My friend uses one on his Esteem. Very light material, totally scratch resistant, and very good to keep out heat. Plus the cover is almost 3 years old and used on a regular basis, but it still has not lost much of its original sheen. However, these are fiendishly expensive. Double check the trademark if you've been offered a Tyvek at 900 bucks!

That said, I use the HGA cover on my Verna. It came for Rs 1500. The material is almost as light as a Tyvek, and totally scratch-resistant too. Its good in keeping out heat, but gets kinda soggy if kept draped over a day in heavy rain. In my 6 months experience with it, I dont think you'll go wrong in choosing the HGA over the Tyvek.
predatorwheelz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2009, 14:06   #33
BHPian

I was quoted 1700rs for a polco cover for my Safari from the guy who will be stitching my seat covers, is this a good price? Tata's genuine covers retail at 1427-1727rs, anyone know what the quality is like of the Tata version?

I have used Tyvek before, whilst I was working for a construction co. in UK, it's a very good material, which abroad is used to water proof pitched tiled roofs, last for a very long time and reduces heat, it is also very expensive 50m x1m roll retails at 15,000rs(approx exchange rate figures)
stefanm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2009, 14:27   #34
Senior - BHPian

Are the Polco branded Dupont covers genuine Tyvek?
Old 25th March 2009, 15:37   #35
BHPian

Thanks everybody!

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Kums,

The Tyvek cover is the best I've seen on cars. My friend uses one on his Esteem. Very light material, totally scratch resistant, and very good to keep out heat. Plus the cover is almost 3 years old and used on a regular basis, but it still has not lost much of its original sheen. However, these are fiendishly expensive. Double check the trademark if you've been offered a Tyvek at 900 bucks!

That said, I use the HGA cover on my Verna. It came for Rs 1500. The material is almost as light as a Tyvek, and totally scratch-resistant too. Its good in keeping out heat, but gets kinda soggy if kept draped over a day in heavy rain. In my 6 months experience with it, I dont think you'll go wrong in choosing the HGA over the Tyvek.
Thanks predatorwheelz! Your answer gave me a clear idea on this topic.
Its now clear that tyvek covers are the best but at a premium .I think i've done a mini-research on car covers (so does every t-bhpian).I've finally decided to opt for HGA cover for my yet-to-be-delivered i10 !

For i10: HGA costs around 1200 bucks while tyvek is 2200(1900 for cover+misc/courier charges).moreover i couldn't scout for one in chennai.i tried variety of means to trace a dealer but in vain.So i enquired a distributor in B'lore who gave me the above quote for tyvek.

Thanks everybody for your inputs!

P.S: In my previous post ,the 900rs cover is a usual one.I dint mean it as tyvek.I think my post wasnt clear !
kums is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2009, 15:17   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kums View Post
For i10: HGA costs around 1200 bucks while tyvek is 2200(1900 for cover+misc/courier charges).moreover i couldn't scout for one in chennai.i tried variety of means to trace a dealer but in vain.So i enquired a distributor in B'lore who gave me the above quote for tyvek.
Hi,

I got my Dupont Tyvek cover from Adamjee near Royepettah Clock tower for my swift. It cost Rs 2,000/- .
Old 1st April 2009, 01:38   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diwa View Post
Hi,

I got my Dupont Tyvek cover from Adamjee near Royepettah Clock tower for my swift. It cost Rs 2,000/- .

hi! thanks for the information.Can you tell whether the name 'adamjee' refers to a shop or a contact person?
Old 6th May 2009, 00:38   #38
BHPian

i found that shop today its near the clock tower,royapettah!
Old 7th May 2009, 23:56   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Are the Polco branded Dupont covers genuine Tyvek?
Yes, I called Dupont India in Gurgaon, Haryana, once asking about Tyvek car covers and they told me to call Polco in Bombay.

The only question is if you are getting a genuine Polco item. To ascertain that, call Polco and ask for the distributor in your area.
Old 7th October 2009, 20:14   #40
Senior - BHPian

Got Dupont Tyvek car cover from Jayanagar. Seg A, 1599 INR.
Gave it to me for 1550 INR. Here are some pics. I hope it is original. Please tell me if not. I haven't used it as yet. He was not prepared to spare a dime. Will come up with a review shortly.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-image2054.jpg  

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-image2057.jpg  

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-image2060.jpg  

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-image2061.jpg  

Old 26th December 2009, 08:03   #41
BHPian

Tyvek for SX4 in Mumbai

Is there a shop in or around Mumbai / Pune where I can get the Tyvex cover for an SX4? I park my car under a tall tree, and hence subject to bird-dropping (that have an amazing splatter) and fruits with tiny seeds that are designed for the sole purpose of sticking to my car. Hence I'm willing to invest Whatever it takes to protect my new car, if there's something even better, please do suggest.
Old 26th December 2009, 17:47   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
Is there a shop in or around Mumbai / Pune where I can get the Tyvex cover for an SX4? I park my car under a tall tree, and hence subject to bird-dropping (that have an amazing splatter) and fruits with tiny seeds that are designed for the sole purpose of sticking to my car. Hence I'm willing to invest Whatever it takes to protect my new car, if there's something even better, please do suggest.
Well a tyvek cover from dupont costs approx 2.4k. I got one which was custom made for the SX4 and oh yes it fits my SX4 perfectly. You can get one from Bhavi Motors in Milan Subway, Mumbai.

Cheers
Old 26th December 2009, 18:14   #43
BHPian

I bought one Tyvex cover from Toyota dealer for my Altis, in April for about Rs. 2,500/=.

In the scorching summer of north, when temperature soared to more than 45*C, it kept the car pretty cool. The material is very light and soft so no tension of scratches and one person can mount it over the car. So it is fully worth the money.

Only problem is that it produces lot of static electricity in windy weather and gives shocks, while taking it down.
Old 8th January 2010, 17:11   #44
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys!

I needed a Tyvek car cover for my i20
Any idea regarding where can I find them in New Delhi or NCR?

btw I found some interesting car covers while I was searching around

Check these out - http://www.intersectionmagazine.com/carcovers/

- How better humanize a car than to dress it? Car-couture in Intersection Magazine Post whats wrong with the zoo

It would be so cool if the car's image is printed on the cover like that!!
Old 9th January 2010, 13:58   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
By all means. Tyvek is light, soft, and almost indestructible. Try tearing a Tyvek envelope and you will know. What more do we want?
The operative word is "almost", right?

I bought a Tyvek cover was RS. 3,500/- three years back for my Palio. It lasted about two years - of course, I was parking the car in the open in rain and sun (which was why I went in for Tyvek!). The temperature part is absolutely correct - car was appreciably cooler. The fabric was soft and supple - so putting it on and taking it off was also very easy. And it was washable too. But some kids near our house managed to tear it - and thereafter it fell apart. There is some kind of fibrous layer in the material - I guess that is what protects the car. And its water resistance was pretty good too. Now that I have covered parking, it is back to local cover...
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed