Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 9th March 2012, 09:11   #121
BANNED

re: Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvhed View Post
Has anyone bought a Tyvek cover for a Honda Civic ? I'm asking because i would like to know if it fits perfectly like the original cover which has an elastic at the front and the rear to keep it from flying off.
I have bought a Polco non-Tyvek cover for my Civic. It fit well, but is not a skin fit. The quality of the material is much better than that of the OE covers.
Old 9th March 2012, 19:58   #122
Senior - BHPian

It's good that the cover is not skin fit because it is not advisable from the perspective of keeping your car's paint scratch-free, though somebody may have a personal preference for a skin-fit cover.

By the way, did you also inquire about Polco's Tyvek covers? If yes, could you please share some details on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I have bought a Polco non-Tyvek cover for my Civic. It fit well, but is not a skin fit. The quality of the material is much better than that of the OE covers.
Old 9th March 2012, 20:24   #123
BANNED

At that point I was not aware of the Tyvek-Polco link. So did not check. Maybe in a couple of years, when this one gives up the ghost.
Old 13th March 2012, 00:17   #124
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
I'm curious how these covers for the Polo take care of the rear FM antenna. Does the cover wrap around the antenna or does it have a provision to allow the antenna to pass through?
I unscrewed the antenna and went to the trouble of plugging the hole with a little cotton wool soaked in WD40 so the thread does not rust. I don't really listen to radio, and the ariel may not be put back.

After all that, we unfolded the cover over the car ... and found there is a pocket provided for the ariel!

This is the VW-suplied Tyvek cover: about Rs3,000. Almost perfect fit, but not quite. It doesn't quite make it over that front bottom air dam.

By the way: if there is abrasive dust on your car, any material that drags that dust over the paint will cause scratches. It doesn't matter if it is cotton, microfibre, whatever ... because it isn't the material that does the scratching, it is the dust.
Old 13th March 2012, 01:22   #125
Senior - BHPian

Could you please post a picture of your car with the cover on? I just want to have a look at how the material looks & also the fitting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I unscrewed the antenna and went to the trouble of plugging the hole with a little cotton wool soaked in WD40 so the thread does not rust. I don't really listen to radio, and the ariel may not be put back.

After all that, we unfolded the cover over the car ... and found there is a pocket provided for the ariel!

This is the VW-suplied Tyvek cover: about Rs3,000. Almost perfect fit, but not quite. It doesn't quite make it over that front bottom air dam.

By the way: if there is abrasive dust on your car, any material that drags that dust over the paint will cause scratches. It doesn't matter if it is cotton, microfibre, whatever ... because it isn't the material that does the scratching, it is the dust.
Old 13th March 2012, 13:52   #126
Distinguished - BHPian

ok, here you go. Rather poor snaps with the phone, I'm afraid, and the lighting, with half the car in shadow and the rest in fairly intense sun doesn't help --- but if I don't do it now, I'd probably forget your request.

I could probably get the whole thing a bit better fitted at the front: I didn't realise what a bad job I did until I resized the photos! But it never quite covers that bottom front edge. This material has no stretch at all. You can see the antenna cover at the back. Well, either that, or I have a boy car cover!

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-20120313_133542_313.jpg Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-20120313_133613_771.jpg

The fabric is very white and very smooth to touch.

Although it is VW branded, I can see from the photo of the blue paper insert in post #56 that it is made by Polco.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 14:55   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
I'm curious how these covers for the Polo take care of the rear FM antenna. Does the cover wrap around the antenna or does it have a provision to allow the antenna to pass through?
The Tyvek cover for the Polo fits well. Yes there is a pocket for the antenna.

Cheers!
Old 13th March 2012, 21:09   #128
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for posting the pics mate, I appreciate it.

This seems a little different from the Tyvek I have, even though Tyvek is available in both white & silverish finish. Anyhow, would post a picture of the cover that I have.

Could you tell me one thing, whether the cover actually hangs in the air between the front-end of the car & the roof? I mean, say from where the VW logo is in the front to the place where the roof starts & in the center?

Quote:
ok, here you go. Rather poor snaps with the phone, I'm afraid, and the lighting, with half the car in shadow and the rest in fairly intense sun doesn't help --- but if I don't do it now, I'd probably forget your request.

I could probably get the whole thing a bit better fitted at the front: I didn't realise what a bad job I did until I resized the photos! But it never quite covers that bottom front edge. This material has no stretch at all. You can see the antenna cover at the back. Well, either that, or I have a boy car cover!
Old 14th March 2012, 01:26   #129
Distinguished - BHPian

It was doing today, but, as you can see, I hadn't done a very good job of fitting it, I'm really not sure that it does usually.

I'll try to remember to check tomorrow.
Old 14th March 2012, 12:40   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Could you tell me one thing, whether the cover actually hangs in the air between the front-end of the car & the roof?
It is flat on the bonnet and follows the line of the windscreen without being quite flat to it. It is a good fit, on the whole, except for the last inch or two at the bottom edge of the front.
Old 14th March 2012, 15:05   #131
BHPian

Having used the Dupont covers for 2 years, I'd have to say that I'm not much of a fan. I remember buying one for my Ikon for 2k (could have been 2500, don't remember) and while it fit the car well,

a. It's extremely prone to tearing. The first one tore quite quickly (within 6 months) and when I casually mentioned it to the dealer the next time I met him, he immediately gave me a new one under warranty. That tore 6 months later.

b. I'm not sure why it's so much more than the regular silver covers we get. I had one of those for my Swift and it never scratched the car.

c. Like normal covers, you can't use the Dupont ones in the monsoon either.

So why the 5x price difference?
Old 14th March 2012, 15:07   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
c. Like normal covers, you can't use the Dupont ones in the monsoon either.
What's the reason for that? Does moisture get trapped under the cover and cause damage?
Old 14th March 2012, 17:43   #133
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 902200

The fabric is very white and very smooth to touch.

Although it is VW branded, I can see from the photo of the blue paper insert in post #56 that it is made by Polco.
Thad, don't leave the under body strap lying on the ground. Instead, use the buckle provided in the strap to take up the slack. If you don't, lot of ants can climb through it to the car body, in to all nooks and corners!
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 19:30   #134
Distinguished - BHPian

Whoa! Thanks Gansan! Well spotted.

That never occurred to me, even though I always say that our house and garden is actually an ants nest. Will, in future, tuck up or tie properly.
Old 14th March 2012, 19:32   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Thad, don't leave the under body strap lying on the ground. Instead, use the buckle provided in the strap to take up the slack. If you don't, lot of ants can climb through it to the car body, in to all nooks and corners!
Sorry, I don't want to sound as if I am ridiculing you, but can't the ants or insects climb from the 4 tyres? I have seen large insects drop from trees as well.
abdriver2000 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed