Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2010, 18:04   #76
BHPian

Bought the Dupont Tyvek cover for Rs. 2900 for the yet-to-arrive Superb. The cost differs from segment to segment.The material is by Dupont and Polco has given it the shape, etc. It has both Dupont Tyvek and Polco marked on it. A neat touch are the integrated mirror pockets. Very light. It also has an optional cable lock system.
ivar1951 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2010, 18:51   #77
Senior - BHPian

I'm searching for a good car cover for my GP, Fiat India sells TYVEK car cover for PUNTO at RS.2413/-. TATA is listed under Polco's clientele so I would imagine that GP's TYVEK cover is from Polco.

My question is, are these covers stitched as per a specific car or they are kind of free size and fit properly to all cars in specific segment?

I think MGA TYVEK cover for Swift is cheaper then what Fiat is quoting for GP, both are from Polco, that why the above question
Old 2nd May 2010, 15:29   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Well I guess its the layers which are making the difference. I got the Tyvek cover(polco tag is there) and water did sneak during showers yesterday.
Of course the amount of water that went through was not much, but it was there. Definitely there.
Are you sure you have a genuine tyvek, when i was in the Uk, we used tyvek in 50metre rolls for waterproofing of house roofs, this used to go on top of the timber trusses and beneath the tiles 100% watertight, we never had any problems at all, even before the roof tiles were fixed.
Old 2nd May 2010, 21:10   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951 View Post
Bought the Dupont Tyvek cover for Rs. 2900 for the yet-to-arrive Superb. The cost differs from segment to segment.The material is by Dupont and Polco has given it the shape, etc. It has both Dupont Tyvek and Polco marked on it. A neat touch are the integrated mirror pockets. Very light. It also has an optional cable lock system.
ivar1951

where in Delhi did you buy this from? do share the contact details. I got one along with my Cedia from the dealer in March. It is a great product and the dealer says he sourced it from Bombay!! I now want this for my other cars, so will look forward to your details.

Last edited by khoj : 2nd May 2010 at 21:12.
Old 3rd May 2010, 08:21   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
ivar1951

where in Delhi did you buy this from? do share the contact details. I got one along with my Cedia from the dealer in March. It is a great product and the dealer says he sourced it from Bombay!! I now want this for my other cars, so will look forward to your details.
I bought it from Purisons, Sector 28, Chandigarh. I had tried calling Polco in Mumbai but they did not pick up the phone listed on their site.
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:40   #81
Senior - BHPian

@khoj - You can get it from 'Reliance Autozone' in Ambience Mall, Gurgaon

I bought mine from there!

Quote:
Well I guess its the layers which are making the difference. I got the Tyvek cover(polco tag is there) and water did sneak during showers yesterday.
Of course the amount of water that went through was not much, but it was there. Definitely there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanm
Are you sure you have a genuine tyvek, when i was in the Uk, we used tyvek in 50metre rolls for waterproofing of house roofs, this used to go on top of the timber trusses and beneath the tiles 100% watertight, we never had any problems at all, even before the roof tiles were fixed.
The material(Tyvek) itself is totally waterproof!

but the water gets in through the sewing holes(where the two tyvek sheets are sewn together!)

if the cover was made from a single tyvek sheet without any sewing involved, it'd be totally waterproof!

same thing happens with the 'parachute' material cover! the whole thing is waterproof but water gets in through the edges where its stitched!

Last edited by sohail99 : 3rd May 2010 at 10:42.
Old 3rd May 2010, 10:43   #82
BHPian

Can anyone suggest a 100 % water proof cover . I have silvertek 100% polyster size C silver colour cover which is not fully water proof. It resist water from drizzling but when it is pouring then water gets in all over. Unfortunately i dont have a covered parking .so looking for a better car cover to protect the car .

Dupont Tyvek cover is that 100 % water proof ?
how much will be the cost for a C size car, OHC
Old 3rd May 2010, 20:01   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951 View Post
I bought it from Purisons, Sector 28, Chandigarh. I had tried calling Polco in Mumbai but they did not pick up the phone listed on their site.
Thanks for the input ivar1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
@khoj - You can get it from 'Reliance Autozone' in Ambience Mall, Gurgaon I bought mine from there!
Thanks Sohail99, I will pick them up from there.

Quote:
The material(Tyvek) itself is totally waterproof!

but the water gets in through the sewing holes(where the two tyvek sheets are sewn together!)

if the cover was made from a single tyvek sheet without any sewing involved, it'd be totally waterproof!

same thing happens with the 'parachute' material cover! the whole thing is waterproof but water gets in through the edges where its stitched!
The Polco cover that I have also has stitching but there is no noticeable water seepage. Also the other cover that I have for my car in Bombay is something like silvertek but does not let in water from the stitching seams even during heavy monsoons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_pm View Post
Can anyone suggest a 100 % water proof cover . I have silvertek 100% polyster size C silver colour cover which is not fully water proof. It resist water from drizzling but when it is pouring then water gets in all over. Unfortunately i dont have a covered parking .so looking for a better car cover to protect the car .

See Sohail and my experiences above with Tyvek covers made by Polco. ivar bought his cover for 2900/- for a Superb.
Old 4th May 2010, 12:07   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The Polco cover that I have also has stitching but there is no noticeable water seepage. Also the other cover that I have for my car in Bombay is something like silvertek but does not let in water from the stitching seams even during heavy monsoons.
My silvertek is not fully water proof , I have not noticed if it is due to sewing holes. I can see water all over the body and the cover sticks to the car due to water on a heavy rainy day.
Old 4th May 2010, 16:27   #85
BHPian

[quote=khoj;1867526]Thanks for the input ivar1951

Thanks Sohail99, I will pick them up from there.

/quote]

Last week I called Reliance Auto at the Ambiance Mall but they were out of stock. They were not sure when they would get fresh stocks. I have misplaced their number but you can get it from Justdial (011-22222222).
Old 6th May 2010, 11:07   #86
BHPian

I did the same testing that someone else did in this forum for my silvertek 100 % polyster car cover,made a depression in a part of the cover and poured some water. . I just lightly sweezed the area from below, and my hands became wet. considerable leak if we press the water log part . And even without presssing the water ooze out through the sewing hole.
Old 9th May 2010, 19:42   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
I'm searching for a good car cover for my GP, Fiat India sells TYVEK car cover for PUNTO at RS.2413/-. TATA is listed under Polco's clientele so I would imagine that GP's TYVEK cover is from Polco.

My question is, are these covers stitched as per a specific car or they are kind of free size and fit properly to all cars in specific segment?

I think MGA TYVEK cover for Swift is cheaper then what Fiat is quoting for GP, both are from Polco, that why the above question
I got the Punto Car cover from Tata Dealership. It has Punto written in bold in front of it. And fits it well. Not too snug. But fits it well. Dunno if it will fit others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanm View Post
I got it from the Dealer himself. Its FIAT genuine accessory. FIAT website lists it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_pm View Post

My take is that it is not. I had that parachute material cover and car was getting wet in rains. Then I got this Polco labelled cover from FIAT dealership. Was told it will be waterproof. But in heavy rains the material lets in quite an amount of water. As I say: Sticks to car body the way Saree was sticking to Sridevi in Mr. India rain song.

Last edited by download2live : 9th May 2010 at 19:44. Reason: details added
Old 9th May 2010, 21:11   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got the Punto Car cover from Tata Dealership. It has Punto written in bold in front of it. And fits it well. Not too snug. But fits it well. Dunno if it will fit others.
How much did you pay for it?
Old 10th May 2010, 16:04   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
How much did you pay for it?
I paid Rs 2413 for the cover. Will again repeat: Its NOT waterproof.
Old 10th May 2010, 22:29   #90
BHPian

I got body cover (parachute material) for my Swift from MGA itself. Sure its not water proof. Water does seep in.
MGA also sells Dupont Tyvek for slightly higher price.
Here is the definition from Maruti accessories list:

Description : Premium quality car body cover made up of DuPont Tyvek® 100% HDPE material fabric that is water resistant yet breathable, lightweight, is chemically resistant to most chemicals and has exceptional particulate barrier properties which keeps foreign matter

I do not see "water proof" anywhere in the description - its just water resistant.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks