Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2015, 14:49   #196
BHPian

Dupont Tyvek car covers, worth it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@dreams; At the price they look a bit dodgy to say the least. Also, they have to be a bit of a loose fit if they are not to tear.
Just had a email conversation with them. The price is non-negotiable and its not Tyvek. They also assure that the fit is slim with 3 way locking system. Fit would be like below.
Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-imageuploadedbyteambhp1421140762.921030.jpg
Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-imageuploadedbyteambhp1421140777.829060.jpg

It comes with provision for antenna and ORVM

Last edited by dre@ms : 13th January 2015 at 14:50.
dre@ms is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2015, 20:22   #197
BHPian

Has anyone had any personal experience with TPH covers? They claim that the waterproof series is indeed waterproof. Hard to believe, as the Polco cover (tyvek) does allow water in. What exactly is this material? They say its from Germany.

Also, their 'animal proof' series (about INR 500 costlier than the waterproof series) apparently protects from scratches from animals (something that the tyvek cover is pathetic at), but it isn't waterproof.

So, the question is, is the waterproof series really waterproof?

To add to the above, the waterproof series isn't animal proof!

In essence then, we have a waterproof series that isn't animal proof, and an animal proof series that isn't waterproof. Nice!

Last edited by Eddy : 7th April 2015 at 16:22. Reason: Merged
Old 27th February 2015, 12:47   #198
RSR
Senior - BHPian

re: Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc

Mobis sells three different car covers for the old i-gen Hyundai i20 as official accessories. The Tyvek cover (Rs. 3264) happens to cost ~ 2.5 times the non-Tyvek ones (Rs. 1331).

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-image.jpg

Does Dupont's fancy fabric really offer better protection? My primary requirement is good protection from the heat and sunlight. Waterproof ability would be welcome, but not really essential.

Last edited by RSR : 27th February 2015 at 12:49.
Old 27th February 2015, 13:10   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Mobis sells three different car covers for the old i-gen Hyundai i20 as official accessories. The Tyvek cover (Rs. 3264) happens to cost ~ 2.5 times the non-Tyvek ones (Rs. 1331).

Attachment 1344829

Does Dupont's fancy fabric really offer better protection? My primary requirement is good protection from the heat and sunlight. Waterproof ability would be welcome, but not really essential.
I have the same requirement as you do. I have a cover for my Esteem which is made of Tyvek material and it lasted me for more than 8 years now. I am looking out for a similar cover for my Civic but in vain. The problem with Tyvek is that while it is good from quality perspective, availability continues to be a big challenge.
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2015, 14:21   #200
BHPian

I use a Dupont Tyvek cover for my Passat. Its White in colour and says POLCO at the windshield area. It has a single locking mechanism in the center. There is NO elastic on the corners.

The biggest plus about the cover is that it is extremely light. It is ridiculously light and compact. Makes it easy to spread over the car and due to the lightweight doesn't scratch the car even if its dusty.

Water can seep in but not much (It is 80% water proof). The material has held up really well and i see no signs of wear and tear yet. (1 year).

Before this I used a cheap silverstone cover which started disintegrating on first day of use. Patches of silver paint on the cover came off after two or three showers.

So coming down to tyvek. I don't think it can offer any protection from anything except dust and that's because its super thin and light. But will protect your car from scratches that one puts while putting or removing the cover. It does what its designed to really well and I would recommend it to someone who has a covered and secured parking area. If you cover the car for protection from vandalize-rs and animals, then I recommend you go for a thick heavy cover ( I guess from prestige or something). They cost the same as tyvek and have a soft inner felt lining aswell, but are a pain to put and remove.

I Hope this helps.

Last edited by Crazy_Bean : 27th February 2015 at 14:24.
Crazy_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2015, 01:27   #201
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Thank you, rr_zen & Crazy_Bean!

So DuPont's Tyvek does indeed look like it's worth the extra price over other materials.

According to DuPont, their Tyvek offers protection from damaging UV rays in sunlight:

Quote:
The sun can cause paint and interior surfaces tofade, while vinyl, rubber, leather, and fabrics can dry, crack, and deteriorate. Vehicle covers made of DuPont™ Tyvek® provide protection from 99.8% of the sun's rays so your exterior and interior will continue to look like new.
They also claim Tvyek offers better dust protection and water resistance, and also keeps the interiors cooler than other materials. I don't know how accurate their claims are:

http://www2.dupont.com/India_Country...carcovers.html
Old 4th March 2015, 17:26   #202
BHPian

I placed an order for Polco Tyvek cover for innova, through Amazon India.
Do they supply only white colour? I couldn't find other colours in Dupont Tyvek type. But silver and blue are available for normal covers.
Old 4th March 2015, 18:32   #203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
I placed an order for Polco Tyvek cover for innova, through Amazon India.
Do they supply only white colour? I couldn't find other colours in Dupont Tyvek type. But silver and blue are available for normal covers.
Can you share the details of the seller and cost ? The one I had for 8 years was a white on the inside and yellow on the outside. Would help if you could post some pics upon delivery. Basis your buying experience, I would like to follow suit. Have been wanting to buy this cover for a very long time now.
Old 4th March 2015, 20:07   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
Can you share the details of the seller and cost ? The one I had for 8 years was a white on the inside and yellow on the outside. Would help if you could post some pics upon delivery. Basis your buying experience, I would like to follow suit. Have been wanting to buy this cover for a very long time now.

http://www.amazon.in/dp/B00T4GP0TW
This was the one I ordered. Will update back with the photos, as soon as I get them.
There was one more seller. But found it priced at 5K.(http://www.amazon.in/dp/B00T4K3NWO)

Last edited by mykal shoemaker : 4th March 2015 at 20:09.
Old 6th March 2015, 14:24   #205
RSR
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSR View Post
Mobis sells three different car covers for the old i-gen Hyundai i20 as official accessories.
Oh dear! That should have been Mobis used to sell three different car covers for the old i-gen i20 as official accessories.

I went to Hyundai Motor Plaza (Guindy) yesterday to buy the Tyvek cover. Unfortunately for me, it seems Mobis have stopped supplying accessories for the old i20 as the car has gone out of production. HMP hardly have any remaining old i20 specific accessories with them now. And as my bad luck would have it, they have no covers left, let alone a Tyvek one.

I'm left with three options now:

1) Check with every other Hyundai dealer in Chennai to see if they have a Tyvek cover for the i-gen i20. Chances of finding one are very remote, as HMP stocks the widest range of Mobis accessories among all Hyundai dealers. If they don't have one, then it's highly unlikely that any of the others would.

2) Buy the Mobis Tyvek cover meant for the new Elite i20. The risk with this one is an improper fit resulting in premature tears. Yet, it's a risk worth taking as the the two cars are approximately the same in terms of overall dimensions (the Elite is a bit wider than the i-gen, but I guess this should not be a problem).

3) Purchase a Tyvek car cover from other sellers who have received good feedback from members here.

I'd prefer a Tyvek cover as it seems to offer comparatively better protection from heat and sunlight, which are my primary requirements.

I'm inclined to think the second option might be turn out to be the best bet for me.

Last edited by RSR : 6th March 2015 at 14:45.
Old 6th March 2015, 14:31   #206
Senior - BHPian

Last night two disreputable dogs of our area, who trespass in to our complex at night to raid the dust bins by scaling the compound wall, seem to have had a disagreement over division of spoils and fought in between the parked cars! They have torn the bottom of my car cover in the process.

I am on the look out for a new cover, my third in five years. this is the standard MGA cover sold by MSM and costs around Rs 1000/-. Can I get a Tyvek cover for old type Alto Lxi anywhere?
Old 9th March 2015, 14:30   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Last night two disreputable dogs of our area, who trespass in to our complex at night to raid the dust bins by scaling the compound wall, seem to have had a disagreement over division of spoils and fought in between the parked cars! They have torn the bottom of my car cover in the process.

I am on the look out for a new cover, my third in five years. this is the standard MGA cover sold by MSM and costs around Rs 1000/-. Can I get a Tyvek cover for old type Alto Lxi anywhere?
IMO, the "disreputable dogs" will likely tear your tyvek material car cover sooner than do with other covers! In my case, a bunch of ungainly cats jumping on and off the car to cross the compound wall have ruined the cover twice. Going for the third cover in four years!
Old 11th March 2015, 19:48   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykal shoemaker View Post
http://www.amazon.in/dp/B00T4GP0TW
This was the one I ordered. Will update back with the photos, as soon as I get them.
There was one more seller. But found it priced at 5K.(http://www.amazon.in/dp/B00T4K3NWO)
Ok.Here are the pictures.

It came on a decent packing.The material looks good. But they have only white colour as confirmed by the seller. It may get dirty soon.
Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img_20150310_135316.jpg

Fittings are ok, but I see a shark fin antenna option, which is not needed for an Innova. On detailed check, it seems segment F is common for both Innova and B Class. So, the antenna part may be for B class.
Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img_20150310_135933.jpg

Couple of other images.
Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img_20150310_135844.jpgCar Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img_20150310_135858.jpgCar Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img_20150310_135920.jpg

Last edited by mykal shoemaker : 11th March 2015 at 19:53.
mykal shoemaker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2015, 16:44   #209
BHPian

After a lot of initial skepticism, I finally went in for TPH’s animal protecting (silver series) cover. Polco just stopped responding, and the dupont tyvek cover was anyways very vulnerable to cats.
First impressions –
  • Packing was quite good. Comes with a useful cloth bag to store it in.
  • The material itself is nylon. Seems to be quite durable, though it’s yet to be put to test by the notorious cats roaming about. There appears to be an inner liner material that’s soft/smooth to feel, to prevent scratches on the body of the car I presume. Comes with a two-year warranty against manufacturing defects and tears. The company says that it should last for about 4 to 5 years on the trot.
  • It’s a bit heavier than the dupont cover.
  • The cover is custom built to your car’s dimensions, so it sits skin fit on the vehicle. It isn’t a universal type of cover (for particular segments) like Polco’s covers. Because it’s skin fit, you have to pull and tug a bit to get it on while the cover is new. TPH guys say it will get a bit loose and easier to put on with time.
  • Both the above points mean that applying and removing the cover every day may be asking for a bit too much. So if you’re using your car less frequently, for instance twice or thrice a week, then this would be quite useful to keep dust, grime and the odd bird dropping at bay.
  • They say it’s about 80 percent water proof. That is, the water can get in through the seams in heavy rains. Can’t comment on this until the rains arrive, though a bunch of village (er, city) idiots threw water on the car from the third/fourth floor, and the water dried in about 2 hours! So I presume it’s quite water resistant.
  • From the silvery green color, it appears that it will reflect away most of the heat. TPH says it’s 100 percent UV resistant. Whether it will keep the heat out as well as dupont I can’t say as yet. The vehicle is parked in a somewhat shady area, and we aren’t yet in the thick of summer (or are we).
  • The cover can be washed with some warm water and a damp cloth – same as dupont – though I personally feel it’s more resilient than the Tyvek cover. The dupont cover always felt like it was going to tear when cleaning bird poo.
Those are the first few impressions. Let’s see how it gets along, particularly with cats that love using cars as springboards to get into the next compound!
A quick note, try to avoid letting it come in contact with the ground while putting the cover on your vehicle. As mentioned earlier, it is heavy, and if it picks up some grit from the ground, it may scratch you car’s surface.
Attached Thumbnails
Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-wp_20150326_12_11_20_pro.jpg  

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-wp_20150327_11_54_29_pro.jpg  

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-wp_20150327_11_55_10_pro.jpg  

CowlFlap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2015, 12:50   #210
BHPian

A quick tip for putting on the skin-fit cover without tearing it at the seams (!). Cover the ORVMs first, and then pull it down at the back and at the front. It may be advisable also to remove the antenna, though with a little maneuvering it may be possible to put it on with it. When removing, remove the OVRM cover last. A skin fit cover may look good, but it can be difficult to put on and take off, without tearing it!
CowlFlap is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks