Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2019, 15:24   #331
BHPian

re: Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
Why is it that i believe all these are not the Original Dupont material. There are a lot of Tyvek® "like" material available in the market. Original Tyvek is too strong to be tearing off in 1 year
I cannot find any Tyvek covers anywhere online. I think Polco has ended its relationship with Dupont?
Old 25th June 2019, 18:07   #332
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
... Original Tyvek is too strong to be tearing off in 1 year
In fact, it will not tear just-about for ever! The one that I had did get some holes, from abrasion, rather than tearing, and because I was stupid enough to leave it lying in a corner when it was not in use for a couple of months --- and cat claws can get through any super fabric!
Old 2nd July 2019, 12:19   #333
BHPian

My Tyvek covers (Polco), when I had them, wouldn't last more than a year either. Cat tear was the main problem, but they were light and effective while they lasted. Been using TPH (nomex animal protection) since then, and its lasted 3 years without any tears. The inner lining has off late been coming off in patches though.
CowlFlap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 14:48   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

I think a conclusion is coming here:

Tyvek is indestructible. But unfortunately nobody told cats
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2019, 15:03   #335
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowlFlap View Post
My Tyvek covers (Polco), when I had them, wouldn't last more than a year either. Cat tear was the main problem, but they were light and effective while they lasted. Been using TPH (nomex animal protection) since then, and its lasted 3 years without any tears. The inner lining has off late been coming off in patches though.
My Tyvek (official FIAT accessory) had lasted a year and was doing very well without any tears. Then a new naughty stray dog came to our street and tore it into pieces. If it wasn't for the dog, I'd have bought another one as I like everything about it except its poor tear resistance to canines. Just yesterday, I was thinking about this Nomex. Do you think it is tough enough to resist dog bites? Does it even attract the dogs like the Tyvek ones do?

Last edited by theredliner : 2nd July 2019 at 15:04.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 16:14   #336
BHPian

Be careful of these guys! I have paid 25000 for my Miata cover upfront on 30 May '19. I was promised in 7 days; was sent a demo which was wrong after 3 weeks, then promised a second demo on 24 June. No demo as yet, no response to my phones and messages as yet. Be warned!

Last edited by GTO : 9th July 2019 at 10:02. Reason: Post edited. Please take the time out to draft your posts properly. Thanks.
adilkhan5 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 8th July 2019, 18:25   #337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adilkhan5 View Post
Be careful of these guys...
I don't understand your post. Although tph has had much of the focus of this thread lately, several vendors are discussed. Do you mean an ex-demo product? Or a demonstration?

Would you want a demonstration of a car cover?
Old 9th July 2019, 16:56   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
My Tyvek (official FIAT accessory) had lasted a year and was doing very well without any tears. Then a new naughty stray dog came to our street and tore it into pieces. If it wasn't for the dog, I'd have bought another one as I like everything about it except its poor tear resistance to canines. Just yesterday, I was thinking about this Nomex. Do you think it is tough enough to resist dog bites? Does it even attract the dogs like the Tyvek ones do?
Nomex would resist most forms of animal naughtiness. Dogs and cats included. I doubt very much a dog would be able to tear it. No I don't believe they would be tempted to tear into it like the Tyvek.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adilkhan5 View Post
Be careful of these guys! I have paid 25000 for my Miata cover upfront on 30 May '19. I was promised in 7 days; was sent a demo which was wrong after 3 weeks, then promised a second demo on 24 June. No demo as yet, no response to my phones and messages as yet. Be warned!
Very interested to hear an explanation @adilkhan5. Was it a demo to prove rain resistance or some such?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th July 2019 at 15:06. Reason: Merging back to back posts.
CowlFlap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2019, 13:53   #339
BHPian

The demo was for size. To ensure a proper fit.
Old 18th July 2019, 10:47   #340
BHPian

There are two holes on the cover now.
One on the windshield. Demonstrates the "Engineering Protection" text below the tear
Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img_20190624_205659737.jpg

One on the bonnet:
Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-img_20190630_183515993.jpg
rajathv8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st July 2019, 15:40   #341
Senior - BHPian

My Swift is covered by the TPH Aqua king daily. After a bout with the rains if one was to lift the cover one can see water droplets on the cars body and glass area. I guess it is not that really water proof. I expected to see a dry car. Also the fit is loose and sags at the ends. The Verna cover I had was a perfect fit the Swift one seems too saggy and does not live upto it's water proof promise. I am not sure if it's wise to continously use the cover in the rains but since my car is an daily driver I hope it should be ok.
Old 29th August 2019, 20:51   #342
BHPian

I am in desperate need of a car cover. The old one is starting to tear.
Polco has stopped all A-Star covers. Any suggestions? I do not want to buy a THP which starts at 5K. I am looking for something < 3k.
Old 3rd September 2019, 20:10   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post
I am in desperate need of a car cover. The old one is starting to tear.
Polco has stopped all A-Star covers. Any suggestions? I do not want to buy a THP which starts at 5K. I am looking for something < 3k.

Geekay branded ones, have universal covers. I am using one for my Fiesta Classic without any issues. The cover is pretty hefty and does not sway much in breeze. If you are near Peenya, you can pick one up from the factory outlet. Look for the pics I posted, a page or 2 back.
Old 3rd September 2019, 21:45   #344
BHPian

Noticed a few more tears today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
I am using one for my Fiesta Classic without any issues.
Which one did you buy? The website shows three options:

Car Covers - Dupont, TPH, Polco etc-capture.jpg

Its a double edged sword. A heavy cover will not sway in the wind but may cause scratches. A light cover will not cause scratches but will get blown away.

I tried a light one so now maybe it is time to try a heavy cover

In the pics you posted I see that the cover goes below the front and rear bumper. The polco cover barely goes below the bumper. When a breeze hits the cover from the sides the cover stays on but when it hits the car from the front or rear, the breeze makes its way between the cover and the car surface and into the car cover thus blowing it up like a balloon! Your cover would probably fare better.

Since the cover is a dark colour, does it absorb heat during the day? Does the car interior heat up with the cover on?

Last edited by rajathv8 : 3rd September 2019 at 21:54.
Old 9th September 2019, 20:41   #345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajathv8 View Post

Which one did you buy? The website shows three options:
I purchased the water proof one.

Quote:
Blowing it up like a balloon! Your cover would probably fare better.
Since this is heavy and and the cover goes well below the car on the front and the back, it holds well in a breeze.

Quote:
Since the cover is a dark colour, does it absorb heat during the day? Does the car interior heat up with the cover on?
Not sure about this, since I park it in a shaded place.
motorpsycho is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed