Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2006, 20:00   #1
BHPian

90/100 headlamps without seperate relays/fuses/wiring. (baleno) How safe ?

Hi folks...

been a long time since I logged on in here - been very busy with work and i also got engaged so just haven't had the time to give some love to my computer.

Well anyway...hope yer all doing fine - and a big hi to all the new members who have joined in the past coupla months...

After getting sick of my baleno's stock lights and finding it necessary to use high beam frequently late night to be able to see cyclists and pedestrians , i decided to upgrade to 90/100 Philips BlueVisions....

Now I've read all the threads in here about how important it is to fit in seperate wiring and relays and a fuse to prevent your ECU from blowing up. However the dealer managed to persuade me to just swap the lights and not add any extra wiring etc as according to him, he'd done over a hundred installations of these bulbs without any complaints...
(forgot the name of th edealer - it's a car accessory shop bang opposite BK Tyres in Lajpat Nagar, N.D)

now , after reading T-BHP again, I'm getting a bit worried as to how safe my ECU is...

I was told that the stock relay and fuse will take care and that there should be no problems. Should I continue using these bulbs without going for the changes recommended by our many members or should I rush ASAP to Motorcraft and ask them to put in new relays and fuses - and when I go there (they tried to dissuade me from moving to higher wattage lamps), how do I manage to persuade them to get this done ? And how is the wiring to be done so that it doesn't affect my warranty (year and a half still remaining and I'd like to keep it).

Or can you recommend a good mechanic in Noida/S.Del who'd who this properly ? (if required , of course)

I was also told by another dealer that as the baleno comes with 90/100's abroad , it doesn't need any changes...is that true ?
looking for any and all advice...from people who took the precautions as well as those who didn't....

keeping my fingers crossed that my ecu doesn't blow up...

cheers

zaphod
Old 16th May 2006, 20:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

This has been discussed threadbare... Try running 100/90's on stock wiring/relays at your own peril!!

It costs barely 400 bucks to do it... the alternative looks damn expensive!
Old 16th May 2006, 23:17   #3
BHPian

kb100 is correct. Its not recommended to use 100/90 on your stock wiring/ relays.
Buy a new wiring kit which directly connects to your battery, 2 heavy duty bulb holders, 2 head light relays & get them installed by a qualified car electrion.
It should be safe to do that I guess. But please check out with your suzuki dealer reg the warranty on the car.

az
Old 16th May 2006, 23:23   #4
BHPian

....bump....

kb100, what do you recommend - getting a Roots wiring harness as ksethuram (IIRC) did or the changing the wirimg routine ?

I don't want to mess with the original wiring - no splicing or cutting....

what have most of you done - and what's the simplest and easiest way to go about it... ?

I'll be going tomorrow to the Sector-16 car market and getting it done - cana noidaite/delhite recommend me someplace good and reliable ?

zaphod
Old 16th May 2006, 23:26   #5
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Zaphod : First of congrats on ur engagement Secondly try out "CAR RAUNAQ" behind Haveli resturant. Talk to Mahesh or Salim they would help u out. I have Blue headlights too dunno how much wattage though i haven't changed the wiring yet ... In Noida Sector 16 Market these guys are the most reliable
Old 17th May 2006, 00:28   #6
BHPian

Thanks folks,

aza, i guess i'll have to go back to lajpat Nagar as the pack i got didn't contain the pilot lamps - i'll ask the chap to refund the money or give me a different set ...after that i'll head ove to car raunaq and get the necessary work done...

i guess i really cant take a risk with the electricals of my car.... i do have 90/100 halogens (yellow ones) in my esteem but thats a carbed model so there was no real risk except of blowing a fuse but with the baleno , its a whole different ball game altogether.

cheers

zaphod
Old 17th May 2006, 01:11   #7
Senior - BHPian

And also get ceramic holders for your bulbs. My regular ones were melting very often even with 100/90 bulbs....now im using 130/100 bulbs with the new holders. No probs.

Not to mention the importance of the relay. Get it done ASAP.

Drifter
Old 17th May 2006, 10:09   #8
Team-BHP Support

Zaphod,

You really should search before creating threads!
If you do a search for "relay" in technical stuff you will get more than enough information.

Thread closed.
cya
R
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks