Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2015, 15:37   #151
BHPian

Re: Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...

Hello Everyone,

Fantastic thread for a great product. Thanks for sharing.
Is PlastiDip available in Chrome/Silver colour. Something similar to IronH4WK's alloys on last post of page seven of this thread.
I am planning to color the stock rims of Safari 2.2 with silver, similar to IronH4WK's alloys .
I have another product by the name of Com-Paint, but that is in real a color qoute, which is irreversible. Hence wanted a try with plasti dip, to prevent any irrepairable damages due to my mis-adventure. .

Nothing concrete of an information on Cosmotech's website.

Thanks in advance, as always.

Regards,
Saurabh
Old 23rd April 2015, 17:43   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabh2711 View Post
Hello Everyone,

Fantastic thread for a great product. Thanks for sharing.
Is PlastiDip available in Chrome/Silver colour. Something similar to IronH4WK's alloys on last post of page seven of this thread.
I am planning to color the stock rims of Safari 2.2 with silver, similar to IronH4WK's alloys .
I have another product by the name of Com-Paint, but that is in real a color qoute, which is irreversible. Hence wanted a try with plasti dip, to prevent any irrepairable damages due to my mis-adventure. .

Nothing concrete of an information on Cosmotech's website.

Thanks in advance, as always.

Regards,
Saurabh

you can contact:

Pankaj Gandhi
+91-9820048105
+91-9820048061
+91-22-32560130
cosmotech90@yahoo.com

he's a nice fella, you can call him and ask him if he has what you're looking for.
IronH4WK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2015, 20:47   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
Something to ponder?! Maybe dipping your rims as well? Patches of black and white could really enhance the looks further. Maybe you could do a sample on MS paint before actually doing them.

I totally agree with you mate. Black and white duo looks appealing. Albeit my car has those diamond cut alloy wheels provided by hyundai and i am in love with them so dont want to change them now , will dip then when i am done with that chrome look.
Old 26th April 2015, 13:18   #154
DWC
BHPian

So finally plasti-dipped all the chrome bits on the car. This is how she looks now! I'm loving it!

Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-img_5627.jpg

Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-img_5628.jpg

Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-img_5629.jpg

Contemplating dipping the spoiler in the same shade or maybe wrapping it with a black carbon fiber wrap. Do you guys think she will look good if I just dip/wrap the spoiler and not the entire roof?
DWC is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th April 2015, 22:58   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWC View Post
So finally plasti-dipped all the chrome bits on the car. This is how she looks now! I'm loving it!

Contemplating dipping the spoiler in the same shade or maybe wrapping it with a black carbon fiber wrap. Do you guys think she will look good if I just dip/wrap the spoiler and not the entire roof?

Nice finishing with dip.I think that your cars colour is dark and black wont strike a contrast, u may consider wrapping or dipping your spoiler in a white shade. I have personally seen a dark blue polo with a white roof and spoiler, it looked nice. I also saw one such ride on IDE Auto Works facebook page . Have a look.

Last edited by Rehaan : 9th June 2015 at 14:32. Reason: Reducing length of quoted post :)
Old 14th May 2015, 12:52   #156
Senior - BHPian

Alright, another project came to mind after a recent ride to the hills. Well, here's the thing, I've got a GPR helmet which is about 6-7yrs old. Couple of my friends suggested it was about time I got a new one. However, I didn't feel the need for a new helmet as the current was in good shape, except for couple of scratches here and there. Didn't want to spend another 6K, funds that I could use to buy say a riding pant.

So, checked my supply of Plasti-Dip and found a full can of matte black lying around. I wanted to go full black, but then the helmet has some projections for air flow and that would get clogged. So I decided to mask those areas and paint the rest of the surface.

I think the pictures would be self explanatory.

Before:

Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-imageuploadedbyteambhp1431587420.119584.jpg
Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-imageuploadedbyteambhp1431587448.604828.jpg
Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-imageuploadedbyteambhp1431587460.955981.jpg
Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-imageuploadedbyteambhp1431587473.406702.jpg
Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-imageuploadedbyteambhp1431587486.425179.jpg

Preparation:

Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-imageuploadedbyteambhp1431587510.376703.jpg
Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-imageuploadedbyteambhp1431587523.111555.jpg
Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-imageuploadedbyteambhp1431587536.261215.jpg
Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-imageuploadedbyteambhp1431587549.246057.jpg
Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-imageuploadedbyteambhp1431587561.980000.jpg

First coat:

Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-imageuploadedbyteambhp1431587580.915559.jpg

Final product:

Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-imageuploadedbyteambhp1431587603.116796.jpg
Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-imageuploadedbyteambhp1431587626.202485.jpg
Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-imageuploadedbyteambhp1431587638.820418.jpg
Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-imageuploadedbyteambhp1431587652.571615.jpg
Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-imageuploadedbyteambhp1431587664.788771.jpg
Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-imageuploadedbyteambhp1431587680.890329.jpg

Well, it didn't come out as good as I expected, partly it was my mistake. After spraying the last coat, I found out that I didn't have the pen knife with me and went looking for it. By then the paint had almost dried.Once you spray the final coat, make sure you remove the masking within seconds because if the paint dries, when you peel the masking, the paint comes off with it.

Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-imageuploadedbyteambhp1431587956.224122.jpg
Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-imageuploadedbyteambhp1431587967.642677.jpg

I didn't want to redo the whole thing so I just masked the areas where the paint had peeled along with the masking and sprayed again. This will not give a good finish and will be very visible.

Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-imageuploadedbyteambhp1431588048.030824.jpg

Will redo the painting again on a later date, but you get the idea. Don't throw away your old helmet just because it's old. Think out of the box, give it a new life.

Last edited by IronH4WK : 14th May 2015 at 12:56.
IronH4WK is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 13:37   #157
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks nice DWC. Maybe another coat will give it a better finish? I see a bit of chrome on the strip between the fog lights.

You could give it a bit of gloss coat to go with the shine of the paint if you wish. Gloss coats are also available with Cosmotech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONH4WK
Well, it didn't come out as good as I expected, partly it was my mistake. After spraying the last coat, I found out that I didn't have the pen knife with me and went looking for it. By then the paint had almost dried.Once you spray the final coat, make sure you remove the masking within seconds because if the paint dries, when you peel the masking, the paint comes off with it.
Yes it does, what you could have done is reduced the masking to just sticking the tape on top the holes. Peeling off excess Plasti-dip would have been easier. You could also use a toothpick or a wooden skewer (used for barbecues) because a knife may be too sharp especially when peeling off excess at the edges.

Also remember that when you are filling up patches to give it a full coat also with the patches to even out the layer.
Old 14th May 2015, 14:01   #158
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
Looks nice DWC. Maybe another coat will give it a better finish? I see a bit of chrome on the strip between the fog lights.

You could give it a bit of gloss coat to go with the shine of the paint if you wish. Gloss coats are also available with Cosmotech.
Thanks. What you're seeing is the reflection of the sun. Iv'e given her 8 coats. Iv'e also contemplated going in for a gloss clear coat, but i'm not too sure how it would look, besides, I love the matt finish so i'm going to stick to that for a bit. Maybe later when I get bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 197Horses View Post
Nice finishing with dip.I think that your cars colour is dark and black wont strike a contrast, u may consider wrapping or dipping your spoiler in a white shade. I have personally seen a dark blue polo with a white roof and spoiler, it looked nice. I also saw one such ride on IDE Auto Works facebook page . Have a look.
Thanks, i'm not really looking to strike a stark contrast. Some subtle highlights is the look i'm going for. I think i'll be wrapping the roof with a black carbon fiber wrap next.
Old 14th May 2015, 14:02   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
Don't throw away your old helmet just because it's old. Think out of the box, give it a new life.
Hi IronH4WK, I agree with you that painting a helmet to keep it looking good is a good idea, but most helmet manufacturers advise against painting helmets, as the carrier fluid used in them are mostly organic solvents, and these can have an adverse effect on the absorptive styrofoam layer used in the helmet. The fumes of the spray can be strong enough to dissolve parts of the styrofoam and reduce the effectiveness of a helmet during impact. I mean no offense to your idea, just want people to know the reality. It's therefore advisable to paint the helmet, once all the inners have been removed.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=11
hifisharu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 15:53   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifisharu View Post
Hi IronH4WK, I agree with you that painting a helmet to keep it looking good is a good idea, but most helmet manufacturers advise against painting helmets, as the carrier fluid used in them are mostly organic solvents, and these can have an adverse effect on the absorptive styrofoam layer used in the helmet. The fumes of the spray can be strong enough to dissolve parts of the styrofoam and reduce the effectiveness of a helmet during impact. I mean no offense to your idea, just want people to know the reality. It's therefore advisable to paint the helmet, once all the inners have been removed.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=11
thanks for that piece of information. this just a rubberized coating. would that also affect the shell?
Old 14th May 2015, 16:05   #161
BHPian

Quote:
thanks for that piece of information. this just a rubberized coating. would that also affect the shell?
Anil,

6 years is too old for any helmet, no matter what shape it is in.
Please get a new one, especially given that You are riding Your N650 more than the car.
Rocky_Balboa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 17:49   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Even I'm not sure how exactly the helmet gets affected, but some of the possible ways are

1. The fumes of the organic carrier fluid used, to spray the actual rubberized material, can enter the helmet through the vents and dissolve the EPS layer

2. The solvent which is part of the rubber+ carrier can leech into the helmet through the plastic surface itself, leading to degradation of the outer shell and the inner absorptive layer as well.

So, the issue is not the coating itself, but the material used to create the spray, which eventually evaporates, but might cause damage in the process. Hope this helps
hifisharu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 19:36   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. What you're seeing is the reflection of the sun. Iv'e given her 8 coats. Iv'e also contemplated going in for a gloss clear coat, but i'm not too sure how it would look, besides, I love the matt finish so i'm going to stick to that for a bit. Maybe later when I get bored.
What I have learnt from the gloss clear coat is that it actually strengthens the plasti-dip by adding that extra gloss layer. Bits on my car that has matt finish seem to peel/fall off faster than the glossed areas.
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2015, 19:44   #164
DWC
BHPian

Quote:
What I have learnt from the gloss clear coat is that it actually strengthens the plasti-dip by adding that extra gloss layer. Bits on my car that has matt finish seem to peel/fall off faster than the glossed areas.
Cheers for the tip. Can you share some images so I can get an idea what the finished product looks like?
Old 14th May 2015, 19:54   #165
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cheers for the tip. Can you share some images so I can get an idea what the finished product looks like?
I will be giving it a refresh soon so will definitely put up pics again. It isn't very evident in the pics below but I hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-img_4916.jpg  

Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-img_4919tbhp.jpg  

Fullrevs is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks