Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2015, 19:59   #166
DWC
BHPian

Re: Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...

That doesn't look too bad. I was expecting some shiny finish, but looks cool. Cheers, will give it a go when I get the time.
Old 6th June 2015, 11:57   #167
BHPian

I have decided to change the alloy colour of my igen i20 (sportz) to black (yet to decide between glossy or matte finish). Came across plastic dip and was amazed at seeing the results. On researching further I found that people have achieved it by wrapping the wheels.
Which one should I choose, taking into consideration the longevity and overall finish?
Vinyl wrap wont cost more than Rs 1500 (from ebay) whereas the plasti dip would set me back by Rs 4000 approx (for 4 cans).
Would surely post pics of the DIY mod once its done
Old 6th June 2015, 12:22   #168
BHPian

Plastidip videos on youtube and results seen there looks great. But don't expect it to be tough against scratches and every day abuse. I have tried plastidip as well as armourall (which costs double that of plastidip) and realised that these are good for car shows and temporary cosmetic customisation. They get scratched easily. That is what I learnt from experience. Hence if you want anything long lasting, go to a good paint shop. Wraps are also better when it comes to scratch resistance as compared to any of those dip paint spray products.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2015, 13:29   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp1992 View Post
I have decided to change the alloy colour of my igen i20 (sportz) to black (yet to decide between glossy or matte finish). Came across plastic dip and was amazed at seeing the results. On researching further I found that people have achieved it by wrapping the wheels.
Which one should I choose, taking into consideration the longevity and overall finish?
Vinyl wrap wont cost more than Rs 1500 (from ebay) whereas the plasti dip would set me back by Rs 4000 approx (for 4 cans).
Would surely post pics of the DIY mod once its done
I don't think you would need more than 2 cans to do 4 rims of an i20.
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2015, 13:43   #170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
They get scratched easily. That is what I learnt from experience. Hence if you want anything long lasting, go to a good paint shop. Wraps are also better when it comes to scratch resistance as compared to any of those dip paint spray products.
Thanks for the heads-up! I do need something that doesn't get scratched easily as the roads in Bangalore are pathetic to drive on with mammoth like potholes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullrevs View Post
I don't think you would need more than 2 cans to do 4 rims of an i20.
True, I too was wondering that 4 cans are more what is required. I recollect reading somewhere that a perfect finish would need 4-5 coats which made me decide on the numbers. Nonetheless, have decided to do a wrap job!
Old 10th June 2015, 02:39   #171
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have decided to change the alloy colour of my igen i20 (sportz) to black (yet to decide between glossy or matte finish). Came across plastic dip and was amazed at seeing the results. On researching further
You'll need 3 cans for 4-5 coats on 4 rims to get a good coverage over them. you could possibly finish it in 2 but incase you run into some trouble and need to re-do you ll need 3. it would also come in use for a touch up which in all probability you will require.

you can get the original matte black dip. see how it looks and if you want it glossy either get the glossifier or metalizer if you like that look and add it over the already dipped rims. one can is enough for that.

once dipped however they are a task to clean. Brake dust, dirt, mud etc stick to it like crazy and its difficult to wash off since you cant scrub them. youll need a pressure washer.

good luck

rev
revtech is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2015, 13:04   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
True, I too was wondering that 4 cans are more what is required. I recollect reading somewhere that a perfect finish would need 4-5 coats which made me decide on the numbers. Nonetheless, have decided to do a wrap job!
Do let me know where you are getting them done. Also please post pictures once completed. Would like to see how well it turns out.
Old 10th June 2015, 15:42   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do let me know where you are getting them done. Also please post pictures once completed. Would like to see how well it turns out.
yeah, me too. thinking of painting my spare wheel with matter black. would be nice to see demo before trying also, i just got about 3/4th of a can left; so want to see some results before ordering new cans
Old 11th June 2015, 00:07   #174
BHPian

Does anyone know where I can get my alloys sprayed in plastidip or equivalent. I know the cans are available, but I want a professional to do it for me.
Old 11th June 2015, 13:23   #175

i tried my level best but couldn't find it in delhi ! getting it online from US costs a bomb ! 12$ for a can !
Old 11th June 2015, 18:43   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khushpreet.97 View Post
i tried my level best but couldn't find it in delhi ! getting it online from US costs a bomb ! 12$ for a can !
$12 Including shipping?? I called Mr Pankaj who's name was mentioned in earlier posts to get plasti dip cans in India. I was given a quote of Rs 1250 per can (including taxes and shipping).
You must be feeling relieved now
Old 11th June 2015, 19:20   #177

Quote:
$12 Including shipping?? I called Mr Pankaj who's name was mentioned in earlier posts to get plasti dip cans in India. I was given a quote of Rs 1250 per can (including taxes and shipping).
You must be feeling relieved now
How many cans would you require to paint a Swift? Any idea ?

Moderator's Note: Please do not type using SMS lingo (u, n etc.) while posting on the forums. Please pay attention to punctuation.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 11th June 2015 at 19:28.
Old 18th June 2015, 12:19   #178
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khushpreet.97
How many cans would you require to paint a Swift? Any idea ?
I would recommend you buy the large paint cans and the paint guns if you wish to do the whole car. The kit is available with Mr. Pankaj (Cosmotech) or he will happily source it for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
yeah, me too. thinking of painting my spare wheel with matter black. would be nice to see demo before trying also, i just got about 3/4th of a can left; so want to see some results before ordering new cans
Had done this to my spare wheel a long time ago just to get a feel for what it would look like. I wouldn't recommend Plasti Dip for the rims as it would chip-off quite easily.
Attached Thumbnails
Plasti Dip in India? A Spray-on Rubberized Coating...-img_6410.jpg  

Fullrevs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th June 2015, 14:50   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had done this to my spare wheel a long time ago just to get a feel for what it would look like. I wouldn't recommend Plasti Dip for the rims as it would chip-off quite easily.
thanks! looks good, but not sure how long it will last. couple of questions for you:
- how many coats did you use? 4-5?
- isn't it better to dip the whole wheel instead of just the front? i know you did it to test, but if one were doing it for real?
- if the bolt holes are dipped, won't they rip off when the bolts are tightened?
- did you use the glossifier? kinda looks shiny.
- how long before the first tear?
Old 18th June 2015, 18:29   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
thanks! looks good, but not sure how long it will last. couple of questions for you:
- how many coats did you use? 4-5?
- isn't it better to dip the whole wheel instead of just the front? i know you did it to test, but if one were doing it for real?
- if the bolt holes are dipped, won't they rip off when the bolts are tightened?
- did you use the glossifier? kinda looks shiny.
- how long before the first tear?
- That was just one single rough coat done simply for the fun of it
- I would definitely recommend dipping the insides as well and also applying as many layers as you can. The more number of layers applied the better the finish,durability etc. Do mask the tyre when spraying on the rims for safety.
- Would again depend on the number of layers applied. I do not think the dip would peel when the bolts are tightened.
- No glossifier used, just the shine from the tubelight above . I have felt that the glossifier reinforces the plasti dip as well as give it the gloss look.
- Just one rough coat applied and the spare hasnt been used. Those peels are due to me trying to yank that heavy 17"incher from the spare well tub in the boot

I would still strongly recommend going for a paint job for the rims. Some people have told me that brake dust does discolor the matt black dip and it sort of becomes brown later.

Alternatively, you could buy plasti-dip gallon cans with the paint gun, the finishes are a lot better as the cans can spray out uneven quantities.
Fullrevs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks